Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Honda didn't sell many of them because they were something like twice the price of a CG125 and at the time the premium 125 market didn't exist. They are now really sort after as they look like a proper bike and are great to ride for a 125 with a decent engine that isn't a lumpy single.

Speaking of autoboxes... I gotta say the VFR autobox feels really solid. I'm not quite dad enough to want push button shift, but if I were, I probably would have gotten one.

This, however, looks really appealing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah I've got lock tite. Prob worth going through the bike and checking the torque of other fasteners as well. It stayed in one place on one bolt on the way home, so that's good I guess.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

I put Loctite on basically every nut and bolt everywhere unless it specifically doesn't make sense. I love the stuff.

ATLATT

I don't even usually use it on the buell and the only bolts that rattle out are on the plastics. Those six dollar shoulder screws on the plastics. Argh

That's one if those "doesn't make sense" places for me because I get under them often for whatever reason.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Loctite everything, because can you ever truly be sure that poo poo wont rattle out and gently caress you at the worst possible moment in time?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That sounds kinda dumb tbh, I can't think of a single screw I won't want/need to undo at some point.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Blue loctite isn't forever and the peace of mind is worth it imo, just something I have learned the hard way too many times

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm so glad that the only kind of failure I have to prepare for is the catastrophic kind. :shepicide:

Edit
Vvvv
:golfclap:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 8, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah but there are blue pills for that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

That sounds kinda dumb tbh, I can't think of a single screw I won't want/need to undo at some point.

Blue loctite snaps loose with enough torque or a sharp blow. It's just enough adhesion to stop the microscopic motions that lead to bolts loosening up from vibration.

Red loctite is the one that you need to melt out with a torch.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

There's also purple locktite, which is weaker, being designed for softer metals, like brass. Might be good to hold a bolt just in place.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

Blue loctite snaps loose with enough torque or a sharp blow. It's just enough adhesion to stop the microscopic motions that lead to bolts loosening up from vibration.

Red loctite is the one that you need to melt out with a torch.

I've only ever used red loctite for putting cylinder/head studs in the crank case. I think good practical advice is "never use red loctite" because most folks shouldn't ever use it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you think of red loc tite as essentially welding something you're on the right track.

Red loc tite is tough on motorcycles because it's hard to get into most places with a blow torch and not cause ancillary damage unless it's out in the open like on a swing arm or something.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Who's got the MIKE YOU SON OF A BITCH version of this gif?

My ignition barrel on the sv had red loctite security torx bolts. I was actually surprised how easily they came out, thought I'd have to use a torch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

M42 posted:

Who's got the MIKE YOU SON OF A BITCH version of this gif?

My ignition barrel on the sv had red loctite security torx bolts. I was actually surprised how easily they came out, thought I'd have to use a torch.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have a friend in Paris who wants a motorbike but doesn't want anything large (petite girl, and just wants to ride quiet city streets), so I encouraged her to consider a pedal moped. Anyone have advice on getting linked into the Paris moped scene?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

microscopic motions

Oh I see. There is nothing "microscopic" about the way the Ulysses vibrates.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I have a friend in Paris who wants a motorbike but doesn't want anything large (petite girl, and just wants to ride quiet city streets), so I encouraged her to consider a pedal moped. Anyone have advice on getting linked into the Paris moped scene?

I know very little about either, but I'm certain cigarettes and a scarf are required.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Definitely a scooter.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6b6pn_debut-du-film-taxi-1_shortfilms

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

From what I've seen, she'll want a BMW C1 (the one with the roof) or a piaggio mp3, a sharp suit, and a 3/4 helmet.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Ola posted:

Will be interesting to try the Tracer 700 when it comes out. Bascically Yamaha now has two middle weight platforms now, the 900 triple and 700 twin and they come in MT (FZ in the states I guess) street fighter, XSR street tracker and Tracer adventure tourer styles. I think the 700 might prove powerful enough for me, the money I save can go towards Öhlins in both ends.

All in all I tried six bikes, ate three waffles, three hamburgers and one hot dog. It was a nice day.

I'm so excited for the Tracer 700 and if it doesn't end up making it over here (the XSR700 didn't) I'm going to lose my poo poo. I think the 700 is plenty powerful and has lots of character, and the Tracer version still weighs the same as the Honda CB500X. I felt like the Tracer 900 / FJ09 tank, fairing and handguard setup is strangely wide and flat.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Does she want something funky that's part of a "scene" or does she just want to get around easily?

(She should just get a scooter.)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Does she want something funky that's part of a "scene" or does she just want to get around easily?

(She should just get a scooter.)

Valid question; she kinda wants a proper motorcycle but doesn't need the speed and is concerned about the size/weight (really petite) and extra schooling required. Not necessarily a "scene" thing but since it isn't vital to be commuting since she uses the Metro, I think hipness/funkiness is a factor, and she's a bicyclist so up to do some basic 2-stroke wrenching. I don't think there are too many true motorcycles falling in the <50cc special category, but scooters and mopeds yes. Is a 49cc scooter that much more advantageous than a 49cc moped?

I'm trying to google around in English for info on French licensing for small motos; my vague impression is that even <49cc bikes need a tag and insurance, and some kind of license. But I'm unclear if it's a special license, or if (like in parts of the US) a driver's license for a car allows you to ride small motos with no changes, so her regular US driver's license might work but not sure. But it's not totally "<49cc is like a bicycle with nothing required" like a few US states.

Re <50cc motos:

quote:

Mopeds must be registered and riders without a full licence must take a test ( brevet de sécurité routière/BSR) consisting of a theory paper ( attestation scolaire de sécurité routière/ ASSR1), taken at school, and five hours of practical training, four and a half of which must be on public roads, with a driving school (at a cost of around €75). Third-party insurance is necessary, and a metal tab with the owner’s name ( plaque de nom) must be attached to the handlebars.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 8, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My own googling indicates a car licence at least two years old would allow her to ride a 125 without restrictions. Ergo, Grom.

The very next line from the same site:

quote:

Mopeds aren’t permitted on motorways, and riders must use cycle paths where provided.

That sounds like a massive imposition tbh. If she's already car licenced then a 125 is the way to go (and even if she's not, the path to license for one doesn't sound much more onerous than for a putput. Grom Grom Grom Grom Grom.)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 8, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

125 scooters are as ubiquitous as baguettes and escargots in Paris. Probably loads cheaper than a Grom, also more practical on day to day errands. Aren't Groms manual gear as well?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Yeah from my (limited) experience of Paris a 125 scooter would be the bare minimum. Hausmann seems to have been some sort of seer and designed a street plan specifically for green-light drag races and anything that can't easily out-accelerate the majority of four-wheeled vehicles is going to end up a bonnet ornament on a Peugeot in short order.

Tell her to walk into a Piaggio-group dealer and pick whichever one matches her handbag, and think no further than that. Groms are overpriced novelty bikes, mopeds are for insufferable hipsters (and just imagine how insufferable hipsters in Paris would be), and anything else is going to be rolling a dice in terms of reliability or parts availability.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

. Anyone have advice on getting linked into the Paris moped scene?

Yes, please draw them out so they may be properly shunned and ostracized.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

As an American I would say get a French moped like mine will soon be. [attached]

But as a Frenchwoman she just needs an MP3. The president of France rode on the back of an MP3 driven by his personal guards to meet an actress he was having an affair with. Obviously a good scooter for France.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So I was at a hack event over the weekend with a guy from Spotify and I talked to him about how car horns in adverts are the worst loving thing (I've been jumped by a couple whilst listening and riding, great start your loving lovely advert with a loud car horn :argh: ) and he agreed that it's a bit unsafe.

He's getting the marketing team to put it into the terms and conditions for new adverts that horns and sirens can't be included :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Keket posted:

So I was at a hack event over the weekend with a guy from Spotify and I talked to him about how car horns in adverts are the worst loving thing (I've been jumped by a couple whilst listening and riding, great start your loving lovely advert with a loud car horn :argh: ) and he agreed that it's a bit unsafe.

He's getting the marketing team to put it into the terms and conditions for new adverts that horns and sirens can't be included :)

You're the real MVP

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Keket posted:

Wow, cool!

Keep at it though, say that words are pretty distracting too. Not to mention sounds.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
*releases album of just motorcycle sounds*

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Motorcycle horns

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Obviously anything goes in an album, it's in the ads we need to get rid of the potentially distracting elements.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Keket posted:

*releases album of just motorcycle sounds*

You stay the hell away from my idea. I'm currently shopping publishers for my concept album; "A very two-stroke Christmas"

Bring-ding-dinga-ding Bring-ding-dinga-ding a-bringdingding-DI-ding!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A Smoky White Christmas - Bing-babing Crosby.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
"*engine noises* Buy Ducati"

There, give me my advertising awards now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

Don't use red loctite then.

Use blue loctite, and water won't get into your threads.
Honestly, it is a lot easier to break loose a blue-loctited bolt, than a rusted in place bolt.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

You stay the hell away from my idea. I'm currently shopping publishers for my concept album; "A very two-stroke Christmas"

You're a decade late man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOQHMaefps

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Not a bike, but at least a two-stroke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErS3PWw5Cww&t=73s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

haha holy poo poo