Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

i was talkin 14th gen only, my bad. yeah 13th gen is an absolute mess with ECC support. bolds support it, non-bolds do not:

but yeah, my understanding is that only W680 supports ECC with any of the Alder Lake/Raptor Lake/Raptor Lake Refresh consumer CPUs.

Ha, nice chart, I was just digging through ARK getting more and more bewildered every time. -T have it, none of the -F or -KF have it, and xx500 or above have it, but xx400 or below do not. Except for apparently the 13490F, which does, because ?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My recollection matches that of Cygni, that you need a W680 board to actually use DIMM-wide ECC and subsequently also get Machine Check Events, or whatever the newer API is, sent to the OS for it to decide what to do with any particular program (assuming it can crash it, and not have to crash itself because it's somewhere in kernel-space).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cygni posted:

Rumors are that production costs are much higher and yields much lower than the N5-family, and that the promised power and density targets were missed. And it was late.

I think you're paying way too much attention to the rumor mill, a lot of which is just completely fabricated clickbait nonsense. Most of this "M3 is a disappointment" narrative seems to come from sources who first tried to attract attention by talking up how giant a leap forward M3 would be, then when it inevitably failed to meet ridiculously lofty expectations, declared it a disappointment and began trying to make drama about TSMC N3 being bad.

Meanwhile back in the real world M3 is a substantial upgrade over M2, especially GPU performance. Production costs are undoubtedly higher, but that's a trend that started a long time ago and is expected. You will never get to know the real yield numbers because fabs tend to keep that poo poo deeply secret, often even from their immediate customers (though Apple's a big enough account which gets special-enough treatment that Apple may actually know).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

My recollection matches that of Cygni, that you need a W680 board to actually use DIMM-wide ECC and subsequently also get Machine Check Events, or whatever the newer API is, sent to the OS for it to decide what to do with any particular program (assuming it can crash it, and not have to crash itself because it's somewhere in kernel-space).

Why do you need W680 specifically, and not any LGA 1700 board / chipset with ECC support? Does Intel lock out support to entirely prevent Core processors from working in C262 / C266 boards?

It looks like maybe, look at the CPU support list here: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EC266D4U-2L2T

quote:

Supports Intel Xeon E-2400 series and Intel® Pentium® Gold G7400/G7400T processors

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Why do you need W680 specifically, and not any LGA 1700 board / chipset with ECC support? Does Intel lock out support to entirely prevent Core processors from working in C262 / C266 boards?

It looks like maybe, look at the CPU support list here: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EC266D4U-2L2T
The why is obvious: Market segmentation. Intel has been doing it for decades.

You've linked a DDR5 board, and as I'm sure you know DDR5 has per-chip ECC with both motherboard and memory manufacturers doing an absolute piss-poor job of making it clear when they distinguish between meaning per-chip ECC and DIMM-wide ECC - to the point that I don't even expect ASRock to get it right, unless you're talking to one of their engineers.

For what it's worth, Tom's Hardware does report it (although they bury the lede a bit, by not including it in the headline), and WCCFTech also published it just like Anandtech did.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The why is obvious: Market segmentation. Intel has been doing it for decades.

You've linked a DDR5 board, and as I'm sure you know DDR5 has per-chip ECC with both motherboard and memory manufacturers doing an absolute piss-poor job of making it clear when they distinguish between meaning per-chip ECC and DIMM-wide ECC - to the point that I don't even expect ASRock to get it right, unless you're talking to one of their engineers.

For what it's worth, Tom's Hardware does report it (although they bury the lede a bit, by not including it in the headline), and WCCFTech also published it just like Anandtech did.

Sure, but those articles are all from a year before C262/C266 launched and W680 was the only option for LGA1700 ECC.

If Intel really did lock Core processors out of their server chipsets this time, it's the first time that has happened in years!

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Intel's Client and Datacenter groups are like two different companies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BobHoward posted:

I think you're paying way too much attention to the rumor mill, a lot of which is just completely fabricated clickbait nonsense. Most of this "M3 is a disappointment" narrative seems to come from sources who first tried to attract attention by talking up how giant a leap forward M3 would be, then when it inevitably failed to meet ridiculously lofty expectations, declared it a disappointment and began trying to make drama about TSMC N3 being bad.

Meanwhile back in the real world M3 is a substantial upgrade over M2, especially GPU performance. Production costs are undoubtedly higher, but that's a trend that started a long time ago and is expected. You will never get to know the real yield numbers because fabs tend to keep that poo poo deeply secret, often even from their immediate customers (though Apple's a big enough account which gets special-enough treatment that Apple may actually know).

Thats a fair point, a lot of tech media is now driven by the histrionic "leak" race, which is insanely annoying. Some of N3's struggles have also been in slightly more trustworthy sources like DigiTimes, though. Ultimately I was using N3B as a reference point for the concept that intel's rapid planned node changes might make current products obsolete more quickly than in the recent past. Using the M2 -> M3 improvements as a benchmark and putting all the other rumored portions like cost and yield aside, I don't think the planned node shrinks are going to quickly invalidate current products like they did in older generations. The performance improvements from node shrinks are just smaller now than they used to be.

Twerk from Home posted:

Sure, but those articles are all from a year before C262/C266 launched and W680 was the only option for LGA1700 ECC.

If Intel really did lock Core processors out of their server chipsets this time, it's the first time that has happened in years!

I don't see Core support on any of the C262/C266 board data sheets, but most are just launching now. I would say someone might check in a review, but honestly I don't think anyone (except maybe STH?) is really gonna care enough to review these products. This "mid power/mid performance" workstation niche is insanely small now to the point of near irrelevance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cygni posted:

I don't see Core support on any of the C262/C266 board data sheets, but most are just launching now. I would say someone might check in a review, but honestly I don't think anyone (except maybe STH?) is really gonna care enough to review these products. This "mid power/mid performance" workstation niche is insanely small now to the point of near irrelevance.

I realize they're niche, I'm planning a 1U/1A colo build and they seem to be the best option for that still.

The listed supported Pentiums are Core processors, right?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Twerk from Home posted:

Correct, the Pentium Gold G7400 is a dual-core, hyperthreaded Alder Lake part with no E-cores. It will be the very last Pentium-branded chip ever.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 21, 2023

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

until the reboot in a few years

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, i was using the term "Core" in the brand sense. Just the E-series Xeons and Alder Lake Pentiums were on the support lists for the boards i could find.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Correct, the Pentium Gold G7400 is a dual-core, hyperthreaded Alder Lake part with no E-cores. It will be the very last Pentium-branded chip ever.

I thought the mobile Pentium G8500 was a neat chip in theory. 1P+4E, 6 threads, low power. Would have made a lot of Chromebook users very happy but I think I only ever saw one machine that used it. Maybe we'll see some cool ultra low power tile stuff. Something that could be passively cooled perhaps. I really like fanless Chromebooks but they seem to be the domain of ARM stuff.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cygni posted:

Thats a fair point, a lot of tech media is now driven by the histrionic "leak" race, which is insanely annoying. Some of N3's struggles have also been in slightly more trustworthy sources like DigiTimes, though. Ultimately I was using N3B as a reference point for the concept that intel's rapid planned node changes might make current products obsolete more quickly than in the recent past. Using the M2 -> M3 improvements as a benchmark and putting all the other rumored portions like cost and yield aside, I don't think the planned node shrinks are going to quickly invalidate current products like they did in older generations. The performance improvements from node shrinks are just smaller now than they used to be.

Yeah that's fair. Node shrinks don't deliver the same raw gains they used to, so expecting new nodes to immediately make old products obsolete isn't how things work any more.

Although Intel specifically might well be able to obsolete a lot of their old products if they ever manage to get off their own runaway train and design a new P core from scratch. They've boxed themselves into a P core optimized to win single thread benchmarks at any cost, and the downsides don't help them make well rounded products which are actually good in the real world, especially in any power constrained application. But this wouldn't have anything to do with process node, of course.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Yeah that's fair. Node shrinks don't deliver the same raw gains they used to, so expecting new nodes to immediately make old products obsolete isn't how things work any more.

Although Intel specifically might well be able to obsolete a lot of their old products if they ever manage to get off their own runaway train and design a new P core from scratch. They've boxed themselves into a P core optimized to win single thread benchmarks at any cost, and the downsides don't help them make well rounded products which are actually good in the real world, especially in any power constrained application. But this wouldn't have anything to do with process node, of course.

I've been speculating that the Atoms, the E cores, are Intel's future. I cannot wait for Sierra Forest to get a glimpse of it. I realize it only has 128-bit vector units and not much memory bandwidth per core, but it's still going to be the most interesting part in ages.

poo poo, I have no idea why Intel still put QPI on them. I guess technically UPI, but still isn't that a decent chunk of extra I/O that goes wasted in a single socket configuration, which I'd bet is relatively common for core counts that high?

Why didn't the Xeon-D line get as much attention? If I recall correctly Xeon-D was designed explicitly for both performance per watt and value for total compute, which made it really effective to scale up to a gazillion nodes: https://engineering.fb.com/2016/03/...cking-up-power/

Xeon-D is still around but it doesn't seem to be a huge or thriving segment from what I can tell. I could be wrong!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I love the Xeon-D stuff and it seems criminally undermarketed or something, it’s just so neat!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Why didn't the Xeon-D line get as much attention? If I recall correctly Xeon-D was designed explicitly for both performance per watt and value for total compute, which made it really effective to scale up to a gazillion nodes: https://engineering.fb.com/2016/03/...cking-up-power/

Xeon-D is still around but it doesn't seem to be a huge or thriving segment from what I can tell. I could be wrong!
Xeon-D couldn't compete with ARM in terms of performance per watt then, and you'll notice that the #1 on TOP500 while it's x86 isn't Intel, whereas #2 is and doesn't exactly look good by comparison.

Unfortunately, Intel is the only company to offer something like the Xeon-D.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 22, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

I've been speculating that the Atoms, the E cores, are Intel's future. I cannot wait for Sierra Forest to get a glimpse of it. I realize it only has 128-bit vector units and not much memory bandwidth per core, but it's still going to be the most interesting part in ages.

poo poo, I have no idea why Intel still put QPI on them. I guess technically UPI, but still isn't that a decent chunk of extra I/O that goes wasted in a single socket configuration, which I'd bet is relatively common for core counts that high?

Xeon-Ds are for stuff like your rack mounted appliances - NAS, networking gear, etc. In other words, a “boring”, lower margin market you won’t hear too much about.

edit: based on the responses I assume there’s another type of Xeon-D?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Xeon-Ds are for stuff like your rack mounted appliances - NAS, networking gear, etc. In other words, a “boring”, lower margin market you won’t hear too much about.

edit: based on the responses I assume there’s another type of Xeon-D?

Apparently Facebook used multiple generations of them for a lot of their front-end web serving, which is indeed boring but I'd think that they chose them for a reason. Both the link in my post and https://www.servethehome.com/twin-lakes-intel-xeon-d-2100-platform-powering-facebook/ for the next generation.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I looked at them for a project or two when the first few generations came out but the economics never really worked out over a smaller quantity of regular Xeons.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I remember when the first gen came out thinking it was perfect for NAS usage -- built in high speed networking, low TDP, lots of PCIe lanes. The newer ones you can get on boxes from Supermicro and co. now... they are intended for 'edge' usage, so I guess if you want to drop a storage appliance at the base of a telecom tower?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

I remember when the first gen came out thinking it was perfect for NAS usage -- built in high speed networking, low TDP, lots of PCIe lanes. The newer ones you can get on boxes from Supermicro and co. now... they are intended for 'edge' usage, so I guess if you want to drop a storage appliance at the base of a telecom tower?

Edge is such a terrible marketing word, but you can absolutely imagine what say these things are for: https://www.advantech.com/en/products/ece3ad39-aace-4ee0-ac2d-14526d12eaa0/fwa-5072/mod_9cabe57d-9c69-4194-b22d-f0383f643e95

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

everybody is edging these days, the word is losing its meaning

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the point of these things? Just use i5s and i7s, they seem better in every way.

the desktop xeons are really not for server workloads at all

these are for huge pools of memory and enormous numbers of pcie lanes for workloads that'll actually get saturated if behind an oversubscribed switch on the consumer desktop devices

edit: gonna emphasize that no sane person is going to run virtualization that actually matters on these. virtualization is for chips with consistent and linear uplift of feature set generation to generation.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 22, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Potato Salad posted:

these are for huge pools of memory and enormous numbers of pcie lanes for workloads that'll actually get saturated if behind an oversubscribed switch on the consumer desktop devices

the E-2400 series he was talkin about has the same 20 lanes as the desktop parts, and same max of 4 dimms.

you might be thinkin of the W-2400 Sapphire Rapids parts

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 23, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

edit: gonna emphasize that no sane person is going to run virtualization that actually matters on these. virtualization is for chips with consistent and linear uplift of feature set generation to generation.

And this is why “edge” is a word instead of server - apparently every 5g tower need VMs for a vRAN doesn’t count

LegitMaan
Mar 10, 2005

I have a question for anyone with a Raptor Lake system, do you experience stutters when autoscrolling in Chromium browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera), specifically in image heavy sites and while adjusting autoscroll speed? I built two RPL systems, one with an ASUS board and another with an MSI board and I get a stutter when autoscrolling in Chrome and Edge that can go from being subtle to downright choppy. This happens in both Win11 22H2 and 23H2.

I found a good way to check this is to load macrumors.com on both Chrome and Edge side by side and autoscroll through each browser while moving the mouse to adjust the scroll speed. The only thing that seems to mitigate it is to set the power plan to high performance mode, but its odd that its required to make browsing not feel like crap. I have an ancient 2500K system that runs Chromium browsers smooth as butter, so its frustrating to have stutters on powerful new hardware.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
By "auto scroll" do you mean the window scrolls down when the mouse reaches the bottom?

LegitMaan
Mar 10, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

By "auto scroll" do you mean the window scrolls down when the mouse reaches the bottom?

I mean middle clicking to bring up the circle thing and moving the whole mouse to scroll.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I might be able to ask around this upcoming work week post-New-Years, but don't expect much.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Have you upgraded to LogoFail patched bioses yet? My asus mobo claimed "3. This update includes the patch for the LogoFAIL vulnerabilities" in patch notes released 2 days ago. It's good to check, because it kind of allows BIOS rootkits on level which the running OS can't simply detect.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

LegitMaan posted:

I have a question for anyone with a Raptor Lake system, do you experience stutters when autoscrolling in Chromium browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera), specifically in image heavy sites and while adjusting autoscroll speed? I built two RPL systems, one with an ASUS board and another with an MSI board and I get a stutter when autoscrolling in Chrome and Edge that can go from being subtle to downright choppy. This happens in both Win11 22H2 and 23H2.

I found a good way to check this is to load macrumors.com on both Chrome and Edge side by side and autoscroll through each browser while moving the mouse to adjust the scroll speed. The only thing that seems to mitigate it is to set the power plan to high performance mode, but its odd that its required to make browsing not feel like crap. I have an ancient 2500K system that runs Chromium browsers smooth as butter, so its frustrating to have stutters on powerful new hardware.

I have a 13600KF and macrumors scrolled smoothly on chrome using the middle mouse click.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Looks like my NUC 9 Extreme finally punched out for good. I think the power supply died.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I haven't seen a single review of Meteor Lake or anyone really digging into the new features anywhere, what's up with that?

Meanwhile, Emerald Rapids availability is immediate and easy, impressive launch there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

I haven't seen a single review of Meteor Lake or anyone really digging into the new features anywhere, what's up with that?

Meanwhile, Emerald Rapids availability is immediate and easy, impressive launch there.

There have been a couple of reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obtc24lwbrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGAcGnBFfHk

It seems to be some kind of weird limited launch though so I don't know what's going on.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Twerk from Home posted:

Because it's mobile only, you can't really find reviews of just the chip, you have to review a whole platform. There are some out there, though.

CPU performance seems unexciting, the GPU is apparently real good, and some are finding very good battery life, but battery life is gonna be down to so much more than the just the soc.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-meteor-lake-review?page=1

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

It seems to be some kind of weird limited launch though so I don't know what's going on.

Reviewing mobile parts is not as fast or straightforward as socketable desktop parts. This isn’t unexpected.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mobby_6kl posted:

feels like a "we told the stock holders that we would launch by the end of the year, and we did!*

*two devices that are out of stock"

sort of situation. unfortunately similar in launch to the similar in performance 7840U.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The NUC is back, now with an aesthetic that is somehow even less appealing to non-enthusiasts/gamers. Goodbye weird skull, hello weird RGB gamer bullshit: https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rog-nuc-confirmed-launching-at-ces-2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Hats off to the guy on the NUC team that found a Skull Canyon on the map to satisfy the geographic naming convention guidelines.