Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

but can you get the vcv rack module in vcv rack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

watho posted:

but can you get the vcv rack module in vcv rack?

I was wondering this but the module is actually a rack host, haha. Which means it might be the most `computer` module in a field full of turing-complete "synthesizers".

I like weird poo poo, I assume I'll want one. I wonder what the power use will be like compared to a daisy module.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

That kicks rear end

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
from modwiggler chatter and people at Knobcon:

"So, the 4ms VCV thing: they're building the infrastructure around VCV, stripping out Linux. They'll host any modules that allow them to. There's lots of UI and optimization work that still needs to happen. Main flow is you load an existing patch, then you can map the knobs and controls to various controls in the patch. So you're not starting things from scratch.

They're hoping it'll be ready by Superbooth next year, but a lot can happen between now and then. The hardware is pretty locked in, but there's lots of software work to do. They also have some of their own modules in there for ideas that wouldn't sell enough to put into hardware. They're not yet sure about backporting those into the main VCV repository"

:dogstare:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

shut up and take my loving money

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My new eurorack rig will be one (1) of those things with a couple of hardware controls and I/O modules. Walla!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder if they're doing this with VCV's coordination or it's gonna trigger another tantrum over people stealing an open source project.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

I wonder if they're doing this with VCV's coordination or it's gonna trigger another tantrum over people stealing an open source project.

modwiggler posted:

From the VCV Rack forum :

"It doesn’t “host” Rack, it’s a very special build of a specific set of modules.

Sounds like it's got to be done with each module maker on board and custom code, so, that will both limit its scope substantially but also possibly make it easier to use, and it wouldn't have to support that many modules to be as/more flexible as o_C or whatever.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Reminds me of the older Roland Aira modules, except Roland dropped support for them almost immediately after release. I have two of them on my shelf, no longer able to be edited :(

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-09-12-saxophone-workflow

Yea, so, playing my sax through rack effects against a rack beat/bassline is fuckin fun as hell, this is everywhere I want to be in life right now, and I feel like every god damned cent and minute I've put into this stuff 2021-present is starting to pay dividends.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

That's gorgeous, I love sax through reverb

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

That's gorgeous, I love sax through reverb
<3

:science: the sax is actually "only" going through Beads, Mimeophon, QPAS and a 4-channel delay. But two of those things are somwhere in their "reverb" zone, hehe :rolleye: -- e342 is going through e520 in pure Shimmer Reverb, so everything is all verby and stereo'd

I am having some big smiles on my face because honestly I'd been having a bit of a crisis of confidence lately over how much money I've hemmorhaged into this poo poo in the past two years. Being my own backing band for horn stuff is at least as fun as I was hoping, though, and I've got more than enough here to keep me busy for a long time. Of course, I also have a disting EX in the mail, but that's probably mostly it until I can afford a tenor and that's taken care of.

I got the disting entirely as pitch tracker for sax, but I got the EX because everyone hates the display on the MK4 and I figured also this way I can use the other half of it to fill gaps/etc. Looking through the list of Disting modes, some of it is pretty redundant to me at this point, but there's also a bunch of stuff I don't have any easy way of doing, so that will be an interesting way to temporarily fill holes I might come across.

I am already thinking that some kind of pedal control is going to be very helpful for playing sax and also modulating; Ladik has an expression pedal input but it only does gates. I want to find the cheapest solution, which certainly might just be "the cheapest MIDI pedal controller you can find, going into your existing midi -> CV flows"

I also have eveything set up so I can do 2x stereo ins from different mixers into DAW at once, and, to the extent I am recording, I think it probably makes a lot of sense to record sax lines seperately, for ease of editing and also because then I can do dumb poo poo like drop a vocoder on that track only.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Browsing reverb last night, I found an interesting looking piece of weird gear. The Future Sound Systems Portland percussion synth. Looked to be a good price, and quite experimental. Flash fwd to today, and I'm in the next village down the shore, and the guy's selling me hard on getting an early pass to superbooth, so I can see all the prototypes ahead of the crowds.
Really enthusiastic and friendly fella, who seemed happy to have an opportunity to Nerd out and show someone his current rig.

Coincidentally, he makes some cool rear end haunting ambient loop type sounds
Here's a performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-_jJei0yc
A+, if you get the chance, buy from Richard Quirk.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I was checking out superbooth and apparently it's free for exhibitors, so all you gotta do is show up with your own wacko synth and you're in.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How is every review of the Polyend Tracker not about how dogshit the buttons are? Arrow keys keep sticking in the top case.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

How is every review of the Polyend Tracker not about how dogshit the buttons are? Arrow keys keep sticking in the top case.

You just incredibly effectively killed my GAS on that

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

You just incredibly effectively killed my GAS on that

You’re welcome. :v:
I’ll reach out to their support before I start the return process because I like it in theory, but god drat what a bad first impression.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

youtube recs dug this up for me and now I'm thinking "ultralight eurorack for backpackers" is an untapped market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9LXt31G-8

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I didn't manage to get them stuck more than once or twice but I didn't think they were great. Overall the build quality kind of reminded me of the OpSix: possibly fine for half price, but if I'd paid $700 for a tracker or $600 for an opsix I would think "why is this lightweight garbage".

On that front, my kit from TallDog to convert OpSix into a desktop synth appears to be nearing shipping, so, that will be nice.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I complained in the Discord and was told it's a break in issue. Did some super pressing on them and they seem less sticky now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

the clickiness of the keys is itself a problem for me because a fundamental use case for such things is car trips where I'm not driving, but my intensely noise sensitive and keyboard hating partner is. So, that kinda kills a lot of the utility compared to the more expensive and generally less OMG COOL, if more flexible, iPad :shrug:

I'll end up with a nerdseq eventually, in my quest to own every euro sequencer.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Nerdseq keys are great. Never missed a press and they feel like they will last forever. They are loud enough to annoy people around you though if you were considering using it on the move.

Speaking of Nerdseq, here it is in action at the park last weekend:
https://youtube.com/shorts/XNveypU2dXY?si=P3A5SzwG6i0o2F-N

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

j.peeba posted:

Nerdseq keys are great. Never missed a press and they feel like they will last forever. They are loud enough to annoy people around you though if you were considering using it on the move.

Speaking of Nerdseq, here it is in action at the park last weekend:
https://youtube.com/shorts/XNveypU2dXY?si=P3A5SzwG6i0o2F-N

Dieter puts to bed that old chestnut about too many vcas.
I suspect that much like mine, that octa-vca is never fully patched?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Dieter puts to bed that old chestnut about too many vcas.
I suspect that much like mine, that octa-vca is never fully patched?

Hahah yeah never been completely filled so far. I’ve had maybe max 5 in use simultaneously.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
heres my rig. i mainly use the sq 64 and its definitely not as good as a nerdseq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxlkGjH37M

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

CatBlack posted:

heres my rig. i mainly use the sq 64 and its definitely not as good as a nerdseq

The rig looks like a lot of fun and the song is groovy too

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

Oh wow, you've been quite busy with the youtubery. Nice doots.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

j.peeba posted:

The rig looks like a lot of fun and the song is groovy too

thanks. ur rig and song are bad rear end too. i will own a nerdseq too one day

B33rChiller posted:

Oh wow, you've been quite busy with the youtubery. Nice doots.

thank u. i am lazy and pathetic though, i took a month off. could have easily had track 69 (which will be the best one for sure) done by now if not for this.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

from modwiggler chatter and people at Knobcon:

"So, the 4ms VCV thing: they're building the infrastructure around VCV, stripping out Linux. They'll host any modules that allow them to. There's lots of UI and optimization work that still needs to happen. Main flow is you load an existing patch, then you can map the knobs and controls to various controls in the patch. So you're not starting things from scratch.

They're hoping it'll be ready by Superbooth next year, but a lot can happen between now and then. The hardware is pretty locked in, but there's lots of software work to do. They also have some of their own modules in there for ideas that wouldn't sell enough to put into hardware. They're not yet sure about backporting those into the main VCV repository"

:dogstare:

More info on this over at the VCV forum
https://community.vcvrack.com/t/4ms-meta-rackception/20558/6

4ms is already talking with developers and VCV Rack people to get everything approved.
Also they say all of the 4ms modules will be coming to VCV Rack for free.

I've been a big fan of 4ms back when they were 3ms and only made guitar pedals.
They had a big DIY side to them then and had all of the products available with schematics and build guides.
I still use the noise swash, a fuzz jade, phaser fleur, and tremulus lune I built over 20 years ago:okboomer:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

Also they say all of the 4ms modules will be coming to VCV Rack for free.

This is the biggest news for me.
I'm curious how the physical vcv module will perform under load, and already a little hesitant with the limited number of jacks. Very much a wait and see what it eventually shakes out to be, and how much$?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm just hype that I'll be able to try out the Ensemble Oscillator in VCV. It's been on my watch for a while but I don't want to spend $200+ on a module that seems to be pretty finicky.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

Hey thanks! Very nice, give us more!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

CatBlack posted:

thank u. i am lazy and pathetic though, i took a month off. could have easily had track 69 (which will be the best one for sure) done by now if not for this.

im averaging a finished track every six months or so, so you’ve got me beat for sure. Keep it up!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I picked up a flamma pre amp pedal to use with a noise box I'm going to try putting together, and wanted to test it out.
Happy to report that I can get enough of a boost as to have a loud signal from a stage mic, and it can work as quite a few different flavour of distortion when I put a kick drum signal through it. Might even get frisky and haul the bass down off the wall.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

What's the best way to fill 24hp of a 1U row? Pony vco vs milky way vs something else?
I'm set for sequencing, lfos, mixers, a scope, and an output already.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Are all the poor reviews for Milky Way and the other Endorphins of that range due to the initial run, which was apparently quite noisy, or is there still something dodgy about them?

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Hello beloved synth thread! I picked up a microfreak on your recommendation and I've been having a blast. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I've been hooking up weird patches and making sounds that could generously be described as a melodies and replicating the synth sections of old skinny puppy tracks. Would someone please do me a favor and talk me out of picking up a used octotrack mk 1 to serve as a sampler/drum-machine/mixer?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

GladRagKraken posted:

Hello beloved synth thread! I picked up a microfreak on your recommendation and I've been having a blast. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I've been hooking up weird patches and making sounds that could generously be described as a melodies and replicating the synth sections of old skinny puppy tracks. Would someone please do me a favor and talk me out of picking up a used octotrack mk 1 to serve as a sampler/drum-machine/mixer?

LOL at asking this thread to talk you out of buying hardware. You in the wrong neighborhood son.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

GladRagKraken posted:

Are you ok dealing with samples?

At least in my experience the octatrack was a tough one to wrap my head around compared to all the other elektron great I'd used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

net work error posted:

Are you ok dealing with samples?

Never done it, it's gonna be a learning experience. Good to know that if I go forward there's gonna be a lot of time reading the manual.