Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Prune juice helps keep you regular, and since Klingons only eat worms, boar, and bloodwine, they probably need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm like 99% done with this, and it's going to be made into a vinyl sticker. Send an e-mail to sendthemtopick@gmail.com if you want one, so I know how many to order :toot:.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
wait, what kind of products are thesse

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

wait, what kind of products are thesse

Stickers are adhesive images.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Stickers are adhesive images.

Will they come in fake tattoos as well?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

who the f*ck is g'kar?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

who the f*ck is g'kar?

You might know him better as Tomalok.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Kitchner posted:

I always assumed its just the fact that prune juice is loving disgusting and so is Klingon food so naturally Worf would find it amazing.

It helps him take massive shits.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Salty Josh posted:

Will they come in fake tattoos as well?

I've done that before but a run is pretty expensive.

numberoneposter posted:

who the f*ck is g'kar?

He's one of the main characters from parallel deep space station show Babylon 5. he owns and everyone loves him.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Babylon 5 is extremely good poo poo

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pick posted:

He's one of the main characters from parallel deep space station show Babylon 5. he owns and everyone loves him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He loves Gkar more than most.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

him especially

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing to come out of Babylon 5 was when their spinoff, Crusade, had the space ship get hosed by a giant space faring alien.

They took that giant space perogi episode of TNG and 90s extreme'd it up.

naem
May 29, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

It helps him take massive shits.

Any poop that doesn't completely clog the pipes is without honor

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

I've done that before but a run is pretty expensive.

drat. I was just messing around.

You could start your own product line.

Pick's Sticks

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Man I thought that was "Damar and D'Marr" at first

Your way is probably better

simplefish fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 5, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Onions are tasty

I'm sorry you're allergic but at least you live in a modern society and aren't being naturally selected for inability to eat most foods.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

pickled onions are great

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The best thing to come out of Babylon 5 was when their spinoff, Crusade, had the space ship get hosed by a giant space faring alien.

They took that giant space perogi episode of TNG and 90s extreme'd it up.

If I remember correctly how they described the alien was a big joke at obsessive fans expense.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Trast posted:

If I remember correctly how they described the alien was a big joke at obsessive fans expense.

The idea of any fan possibly being more obsessive than JMS is pretty funny.

I'm not saying that jms has been the principal orchestrator behind the babylon 5 curse, but

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*throws up the double-bird* gently caress the Breen!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Pick posted:

*throws up the double-bird* gently caress the Breen!

Not sure you want your genitals to get that cold.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Would G'Kar find himself comfortable getting drunk and hanging out with a guy whose government was very recently doing the same things the Centauri had done to the Narn?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Would G'Kar find himself comfortable getting drunk and hanging out with a guy whose government was very recently doing the same things the Centauri had done to the Narn?

He had a brief bromance with Londo so I don't see why not.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Imagine being O'Hare and having schizophrenia and being unable to distinguish reality from Babylon 5.

I wish I was him right now, better than this timeline.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

He’ll understand once he meets a Bajoran

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I see they ripped my fanfic off

Spock gets turned into a dog in a transporter accident, also he is a detective now. He refuses treats from McCoy whenever he successfully solves a case though.

hahahahaha what the gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

hahahahaha what the gently caress

170 pages

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

I might write an effort post about this later, but this is particularly frustrating because it's such an amateurish way for the writers to handle a problem they had, and as a result it also doesn't really work.

It's also not unique to Dukat, it's a bigger issue. The perceived problem "Gul Dukat is 'basically space mussolini' but everyone likes him, often way more than the characters the audience is supposed to be cheering for" is in the same problem bucket as "Early DS9 Bashir's enthusiasm and immaturity comes across as annoying to the audience."

In both cases, the writers immediately jumped to change the character. That's not necessarily what you want to do, especially if the character is really compelling. Because "this character is too compelling" IS NOT A PROBLEM. There is no situation under which that is a problem!

The problem was that Dukat often came across as correct or so rad that the audience came around to his way of thinking, which the writers didn't want. Okay, I get that. But the right way to address that problem--which is the actual problem, that 'basically space mussolini' is bringing the audience over to his side, not "we accidentally made a good character"--is to put Dukat in situations where he, personally, can continue to be awesome and super compelling, but that his values and approach don't work. Write episodes that show the strength of how the protagonists approach conflict as opposed to Dukat as an antagonist.

You don't make him a satan ghost. Not only is that stupid, it sort of... has nothing to do with the problem they had? It's really that they killed off Dukat, and then substituted a new character in his place who does stupid ghost poo poo. Ultimately, it doesn't have any power on that character retroactively (which, among other things, you shouldn't strive for--you wrote what you wrote). Also, at least to me, it makes me even more sympathetic to Dukat because it's so obvious he was narratively railroaded.

That's also what they did with Bashir, and it sucks. I guess him being enthusiastic and naive (and a sex pest) wasn't working, so they thought, huh, what if he's secretly a totally different character than that? And how can we try to make that apply retroactively when it clearly doesn't? They whip out the "genetically enhanced human" subplot and it's just... complete poo poo. It's garbage, and also introduces an even worse character problem than they had before! Instead, just put him into a "Siege at AR 558" episode and use that to tone him down a little or something. Adjust him, don't body-snatchers-style replace him.

It does't work because it comes off as too obviously desperate and wannabe manipulative. As a result, I think almost everyone does what you do: say to him or herself that certain periods or instances "don't count". The writers think that everyone who watches Trek is a total canon slave, but very few people really are. And if they were, wheeeew, would they really like Star Trek properties? Because every single series has periodically written some episodes that are so flagrantly bad that your audience handing you a mulligan and pretending they never happened is the best course for everyone.

also, p.s. herp derp my name is bashir and i am in love with ezri now, because ????????????? because it's the end of the series and I EARNED IT!

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
yeah ds9 does kind of fall flat on its face there at the end

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jim Barris posted:

yeah ds9 does kind of fall flat on its face there at the end

we didnt even get to see damar and weyoun gently caress it out. what is this poo poo

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Pick posted:

we didnt even get to see damar and weyoun gently caress it out. what is this poo poo
Ezri Dax is such a terrible misstep. It so directly contradicts everything you've ever been told about Trills. They start devoting major plot time to a 60's vegas lounge singer. The paw-wraiths. Jesus christ, the paw-wraiths. The only thing I like is the episode where they bad news bears the vulcans in a holo-deck baseball game.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jim Barris posted:

Ezri Dax is such a terrible misstep. It so directly contradicts everything you've ever been told about Trills. They start devoting major plot time to a 60's vegas lounge singer. The paw-wraiths. Jesus christ, the paw-wraiths. The only thing I like is the episode where they bad news bears the vulcans in a holo-deck baseball game.

I'm going to take a weird step and say Ezri herself isn't bad. Actually, I like her more than Jadzia in a lot of ways. However, they pushed way too hard way too fast for you to care about her as much as a character who just had six seasons of development (adjusted downward to 2 seasons by virtue of her being a hot woman character). Like, they immediately construct this lovely murder mystery episode where she's the focus, and it's like, who is this again?

However, when you're at the final season and yeah, you have full episodes about the loving Vegas guy? Why is that episode there? the pah-wraiths, I mean, that poo poo is the loving worst.

As I noted, they should have had Sisko be the "Emissary" and literally never revealed exactly what that meant, or whether it was even true. It should have remained extremely ambiguous. They should not have had characters shooting fire out of one another's chests like a loving anime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm going to :can: and say powerfully that DS9's biggest weakness is Sisko, a terrible loving character performed by an actor who couldn't find his acting rear end with his own acting hands.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Pick posted:

I'm going to :can: and say powerfully that DS9's biggest weakness is Sisko, a terrible loving character performed by an actor who couldn't find his acting rear end with his own acting hands.
I just can't even handle this, Pick. Sisko going native is extremely good. Avery Brooks is... eccentric, I'll grant you that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No he's just loving wooden and bad. He delivers lines like a local weatherman.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

you're this thread's biggest weakness

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pick posted:

No he's just loving wooden and bad. He delivers lines like a local weatherman.

You're thinking of Jadzia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

you're this thread's biggest weakness

I literally think the worst episode of DS9 is that inexcusably pretentious one where they point out that writing Deep Space 9 is the most importantest thing that could ever happen. Apparently it got nominated for, or maybe won, a loving Hugo? It's loving trash. If Deep Space 9 were important, or even particularly good, that would be one thing. But despite having interesting ideas, it still largely relies on being a Star Trek franchise and has an appalling number of stinkers. That the writers would huff their own farts to that extent is secondhand embarrassing.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

You're thinking of Jadzia

Also extremely bad, part of why I forgive the transition to Ezri, who has a better actress. (Still not exceptional, but substantially better.)