Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

RandomFerret posted:

You mean Super Paper Mario. TTYD was the GameCube one.

fite me i know what i said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Weedle posted:

I had honestly never heard of Color Splash until just now

Lucky

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Heath posted:

There was a whole console between the Wii and the Switch!

And all it’s games are slowly getting ported to the Switch during slow months.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Which is the better RPG series, Pokemon or Final Fantasy?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barudak posted:

If you ignore what this videogame actually plays like its really good!

There is far more to gameplay in any paper Mario than encounter battles. And I'm every aspect except encounter battles Color Splash is superior to all others. And ranked squarely in the middle of the five for the battle system itself. (Paper Mario > 1000 year door > Color Splash > Sticker Star > Super Paper Mario (whose battle system is very below average platforming))

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 28, 2019

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Gripweed posted:

If the criteria is based soley on "% of the games in the series which are good compared to ones that are bad" then pokemon in a landslide

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

BotW's incredible success aside, I wouldn't say that there was ever anything wrong with the traditional Zelda formula. Sure, you knew what you were getting with each one, but every game was still fun to varying degrees. I blame the 8.8 Twilight Princess review for contributing to the belief that the series needed to be significantly shaken up. It really didn't.

I still like TP but the funny thing is that 8.8 is if anything generous looking back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tetris 99 seems so cool at first, but I already think I'm just gonna bounce off of it. it just sucks how out of my control how well I do is. I'm sure there are tetris masters that can always dominate, but for a normal person I barely see what is supposed to be satisfying. You either do well or get hosed and it doesn't seem to matter much what you do on your end. Maybe there is some way to strategically use the attacking options better that I haven't figured out, but atm, and as a mediocre tetris player it just feels completely random.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You gotta master T spins which are very hard to set up

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Deltarune episode one is out

Awesome. I really should start my Undertale pacifist run.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There is far more to gameplay in any paper Mario than encounter battles. And I'm every aspect except encounter battles Color Splash is superior to all others. And ranked squarely in the middle of the five for the battle system itself. (Paper Mario > 1000 year door > Color Splash > Sticker Star > Super Paper Mario (whose battle system is very below average platforming))

I gave Color Splash a solid try this year, but even besides the battle system it was just meh. The dialogue is snappy and funny, but the many levels are each so short, self-contained and weightless that there's no real point to any of it. There's no sense of world or place or story or theme, you're just moving from one throwaway joke to another, so once the novelty of toads making twitter jokes wears off you're just kinda... There.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Tetris 99 seems so cool at first, but I already think I'm just gonna bounce off of it. it just sucks how out of my control how well I do is. I'm sure there are tetris masters that can always dominate, but for a normal person I barely see what is supposed to be satisfying. You either do well or get hosed and it doesn't seem to matter much what you do on your end. Maybe there is some way to strategically use the attacking options better that I haven't figured out, but atm, and as a mediocre tetris player it just feels completely random.

This but life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd disagree. The first world is your standard Mario plains theme with fairly disconnected levels but each area after that has a narrative and thematic throughline that builds up to the eventual boss.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Heath posted:

You gotta master T spins which are very hard to set up

Not at all, combo attacking is live and well, especially when multiple people are attacking you since it adds lines to your garbage. If you have 3 people attacking you a single line clear sends 0+2 lines for a total of 2 lines of garbage. Setting up T-spins is well and good but it's way over rated. I have 0 T-spins and have an 8% winrate. Just focus on playing solid tetris, unless you are playing high level vs you don't need them.

When you chain a bunch of singles that are in different columns you also make your garbage a complete nightmare and can often top people out.

T-spins have their place they are best used when you mis-drop (this happens don't pretend it doesn't) or clearing bad garbage. I really should be using them more. Learn your fundamentals before you worry about T-spins.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah... 10% win rate, zero t-spins.

It’s a strategy that works well for 1-on-1 matches. Same as an opening all clear. By the time you get to the end it’s all about speed

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
How is the d-pad on the 8bitdo SN30? Good enough to play Tetris 99 without any misdrops?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Here is the Tetris 99 thread which has tips and whatever knowledge we all have. You'll still get crushed by the gods but you can quickly learn to how to beat the rest of us mortals. I've managed to win a few which I can chalk up having spent a few hours on a real TGM3 machine . Only on easy though which is about as fast as 99 gets. I've had to learn multi-player logic along the way too.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 28, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm only at 2 wins all told but in my experience setting up T-spins and x-wide combos (and for that matter, bothering to set up basic-rear end Tetrises, though a T-spin double is exactly as good and faster to set up) are things that only matter and only should be done early on when you want to snipe people who are in danger for badges. Being good at clearing junk (and turning it into combos) and being fast enough to not gently caress up when things start to go real fast right at the end are more valuable.

I can consistently make it into top 3 but I slowly drown in my own crap until someone who is actually good finishes me off

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Best Buy has Pokemon Sword and Shield up for pre-order with a $10 reward certificate. If you're still a My Gamer Club unlocked member, you still get the 20% off and the $10 reward, effectively making it $38 + tax. Link here

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Cause it was. If people can give Super Paper Mario a pass on it's gameplay then so can Color Splash.

This. The gameplay in Super is way worse but people don’t hate on that game. Color Splash would be considered to be on its level if Sticker Star didn’t exist. It owns and has the best music in the series.:colbert:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 28, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wouldn't be surprised if they went back to random encounters because having pokemon wander around in the overworld makes the switch laggy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

creationist believer posted:

Best Buy has Pokemon Sword and Shield up for pre-order with a $10 reward certificate. If you're still a My Gamer Club unlocked member, you still get the 20% off and the $10 reward, effectively making it $38 + tax. Link here

I really wish I had GCU, that's a loving deal...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bowmore posted:

wouldn't be surprised if they went back to random encounters because having pokemon wander around in the overworld makes the switch laggy

Does it? I only noticed lag in Viridian Forest in Let’s Go.

It’s disappointing but the setting looks cool so I’ll deal with it. Just need to beat X and Sun first now.:v:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

creationist believer posted:

If I never played a "mainline" Pokemon but I *reeeally* liked Let's Go and want to dive wholeheartedly into Pokemon how insane is it to get both? Since I have a GCU I'm finding it really justifiable. Is that something people do?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does it? I only noticed lag in Viridian Forest in Let’s Go.

It’s disappointing but the setting looks cool so I’ll deal with it. Just need to beat X and Sun first now.:v:
sometimes when there is a bunch on the screen and I image it would be worse in the new game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SeANMcBAY posted:

This. The gameplay in Super is way worse but people don’t hate on that game. Color Splash would be considered to be on its level if Sticker Star didn’t exist. It owns and has the best music in the series.:colbert:

People do hate on Super.

Like way more than color splash or even sticker star.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Computer posted:

so sobble is just capitalizing on the surprised pikachu meme right

This guy was an annoying little poo poo in Secret of Mana.

Your Computer posted:

calling it: swordog/shieldog is the new legendary

The new legendaries are going to be named Riou and Jowy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Re Tetris 99: I have no idea what a "T-spin" is and I've only gotten a couple of mini ones. I've also never won a match; the closest I got was 4th place. Every time I make top 10, I'm targeted by a couple of players in the very next match. But dammit, it's fun, addicting, and something that you never thought you needed in your life until you read about the concept of Tetris battle royale.

Also, Sobble isn't capitalizing on the surprised Pikachu meme. It's clearly capitalizing on the nihilist meme niche.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 28, 2019

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah bring Color Splash to this thing

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Gripweed posted:

Probably trails of or Dragon Quest

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How is the switch port of ff9? Is it the steam version?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Reality Winter posted:

How is the switch port of ff9? Is it the steam version?

I never bought it but I hear it is quite poo poo. So if that’s the steam version than yes

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It really sucks that I have to worry more about framerates now than I did 20 years ago.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CharlestheHammer posted:

People do hate on Super.

Like way more than color splash or even sticker star.

I have only traded in one video game in my entire life, and it was Super Paper Mario. It was so bad I didn't even want it in my collection afterward and run the risk of anybody playing it ever again

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Reality Winter posted:

It really sucks that I have to worry more about framerates now than I did 20 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3_beBwsZ0&t=602s

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Probably trails of or Dragon Quest

Trails series would own on the Switch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Never believe anything you hear about Nintendo til it's official. 'Journalists' are as bad as internet ransoms for flat out making poo poo up about them.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Scorbunny will evolve to fire/electric mark my words!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
All the Paper Marios are cool and good.

Sticker Star, you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

God bless the N64