Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

They get moved to a .Trash folder that I believe is at the root of each volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There is a ".Trash" folder in my user folder that contains the untitled folder I just made and trashed.

code:
iMac:Macintosh HD $ cd /Users/
iMac:Users $ ls
Guest		Shared		REMOVED
iMac:Users $ cd REMOVED/
iMac:~ $ ls -a
.			.cups			Dropbox (REMOVED)
..			.dropbox		Dropbox (Personal)
.CFUserTextEncoding	.ssh			Library
.DS_Store		Applications		Movies
.Trash			Desktop			Music
.bash_history		Documents		Pictures
.bash_sessions		Downloads		Public
Jons-iMac:~ $ cd .Trash
Jons-iMac:.Trash $ ls
untitled folder
iMac:.Trash $
"REMOVED" is my name, and my company name that I edited out.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I use text forwarding from my phone to Macbook all the time, but over the last few days I've been unable to reply to SMS messages from my laptop (they still get forwarded to view read though). Normal iMessages work fine on both phone and laptop. I searched around a little and it seems like a few other people are having this issue since April 4th:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/text-message-forwarding-all-the-sudden-stopped.2040308/

Anyone else having this issue, and any ideas to resolve it? I haven't changed a single setting on either device, it just stopped working out of the blue and is sorta a big part of my workflow! :rubshands:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was having other iMessage notification issues. Did a factory reset on the iPhone and restored from iCloud and now all seems fine. 6s+ running 10.3.1

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Try disabling and re-enabling handoff on your phone, maybe?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

IUG posted:

There is a ".Trash" folder in my user folder that contains the untitled folder I just made and trashed.

code:
Guest		Shared		REMOVED
.Trash			Desktop			Music
untitled folder

Hi Jon.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

IUG posted:

code:
Guest		Shared		REMOVED
.Trash			Desktop			Music
untitled folder

Congrats Jon.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

They get moved to a .Trash folder that I believe is at the root of each volume.

Thanks!

And Jon.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Thanks for the help Jon

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Michael Scott posted:

Thanks for the help Jon

- Michael Scott

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a good ad-blocker for Safari? Officially done with everything being so slow.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Arivia posted:

Is there a good ad-blocker for Safari? Officially done with everything being so slow.

uBlock Origin

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have some files named with a .notebook. It's not really an extension, just part of the name. I want to move them but also copy the folder within which they're nested. Is this possible?

So, one folder would be A/B/C/balls.notebook and it also includes balls.jpg and balls.pdf. I want to leave balls.pdf and jpg alone but get A/B/C/balls.notebook in /f/A/B/C/balls.notebook where /f/ is another volume.

In this particular case, the only organizing information for the .notebook files is in the folder names, so, like, I have two easter.notebooks but they're very different, and one is in a grade 8 folder and the other is in a grade 7 folder. The folder is the only way to tell the difference at a glance so I kind of need to keep them all intact if I want them organized at all.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
For ad blocking network wide I use a raspberry pi running something called pi hole. All of your dns requests go through it and it just rejects requests for ad networks and trackers and replaces it with blank content. Works great for ads, sponsored stories on news sites, and it works on every device on my network and it's not trackable by the sites themselves so you never get a "disable Adblock for this site" pop up anywhere. It's really cool. It of course requires a raspberry pi and a router that will allow you to select a new default DNS server to route all requests through but I already had one lying around.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Welp, the stuff I trimmed (the computer's name) had my last name as well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IUG posted:

Welp, the stuff I trimmed (the computer's name) had my last name as well.

You should reconsider your naming scheme.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My work should.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IUG posted:

My work should.

I am sorry for your plight.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

tuyop posted:

I have some files named with a .notebook. It's not really an extension, just part of the name. I want to move them but also copy the folder within which they're nested. Is this possible?

So, one folder would be A/B/C/balls.notebook and it also includes balls.jpg and balls.pdf. I want to leave balls.pdf and jpg alone but get A/B/C/balls.notebook in /f/A/B/C/balls.notebook where /f/ is another volume.

In this particular case, the only organizing information for the .notebook files is in the folder names, so, like, I have two easter.notebooks but they're very different, and one is in a grade 8 folder and the other is in a grade 7 folder. The folder is the only way to tell the difference at a glance so I kind of need to keep them all intact if I want them organized at all.

I don't have time to work out the details for this post, but rsync should be able to do this. Basically you want to use it to do a recursive copy of the whole folder tree, but also specify filter rules (include and/or exclude) to adjust which files actually get copied. Look at its man page for more info. If you want to spend time hacking away at command line junk that is.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
CarbonCopyCloner question: Can I clone the SSD of a work MacBook, then install a fresh Sierra OS to eliminate administrator accounts not controlled by me, then reimage back to the original installation at some point in the future when I have to turn in my laptop?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Smashing Link posted:

CarbonCopyCloner question: Can I clone the SSD of a work MacBook, then install a fresh Sierra OS to eliminate administrator accounts not controlled by me, then reimage back to the original installation at some point in the future when I have to turn in my laptop?

Maybe.

Is there a firmware password?

Will you be able to get all the work things you need? Software? VPN access?

Will your IT department notice?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Doesn't seem worth getting fired over. Lots of employee handbooks say specifically not to use personal software on company machines and this is doing that to an extreme

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Maybe.

For reasons related to my position in the organization, the risk of getting in trouble with IT and the larger work organization is pretty minimal. There are no VPN issues and the software I use is all web-based. There is a free WiFi network that provides me with equivalent access to my employee login. And I doubt there is a firmware password enabled because my desktop (an iMac) doesn't have it enabled. Finally there is a very real possibility I will never have to turn the machine in so the only issue would be potential need for servicing, which I could potentially get done elsewhere. Understandably there is some risk but it seems pretty minimal.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

GutBomb posted:

For ad blocking network wide I use a raspberry pi running something called pi hole. All of your dns requests go through it and it just rejects requests for ad networks and trackers and replaces it with blank content. Works great for ads, sponsored stories on news sites, and it works on every device on my network and it's not trackable by the sites themselves so you never get a "disable Adblock for this site" pop up anywhere. It's really cool. It of course requires a raspberry pi and a router that will allow you to select a new default DNS server to route all requests through but I already had one lying around.

well that's an awesome idea!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Maybe.

More important question: Why?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

I don't have time to work out the details for this post, but rsync should be able to do this. Basically you want to use it to do a recursive copy of the whole folder tree, but also specify filter rules (include and/or exclude) to adjust which files actually get copied. Look at its man page for more info. If you want to spend time hacking away at command line junk that is.

Awesome, I'm comfortable with CLI stuff. I'll look into rsync, I've been interested in it for awhile.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

More important question: Why?

One reason is that whatever kludgy scripts IT puts in slows down the boot time on all their machines dramatically. But more truthfully I have a strong preference for not using machines that I do not have admin rights on and the ability to configure however I want and install whatever I want on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Smashing Link posted:

One reason is that whatever kludgy scripts IT puts in slows down the boot time on all their machines dramatically. But more truthfully I have a strong preference for not using machines that I do not have admin rights on and the ability to configure however I want and install whatever I want on.

This is probably a fireable offense FYI and if I caught you doing it where I admin I'd start screaming.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Matt Zerella posted:

This is probably a fireable offense FYI and if I caught you doing it where I admin I'd start screaming.

Yeah but literally anything is a fireable offense in the United States, outside of Montana and excepting a few protected classes.

Those admins demonstrably do not behave like you because they’ve failed to set a firmware password.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but literally anything is a fireable offense in the United States, outside of Montana and excepting a few protected classes.

Those admins demonstrably do not behave like you because they’ve failed to set a firmware password.

Sure and even beyond the firmware thing, it should be issued from Apple's Deployment Program and auto register to a MDM no matter how many times you reinstall the OS.

Don't reformat your work issued machine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

It might be a pain in the butt, but I'd just go along with whatever they've got installed and leave it alone/don't reformat it. It might save you some headaches over unforeseen consequences later.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This has been informative. Although once again I should clarify that I am not in a position where IT could fire or discipline me, I guess I will leave the device as issued. It doesn't sound like it's foolproof from either the CCC cloning perspective or the MDM perspective anyway. The more you know! Also this forum seems to have gotten a bit more conservative with age, or maybe SH/SC was always more mature.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Smashing Link posted:

This has been informative. Although once again I should clarify that I am not in a position where IT could fire or discipline me, I guess I will leave the device as issued. It doesn't sound like it's foolproof from either the CCC cloning perspective or the MDM perspective anyway. The more you know! Also this forum seems to have gotten a bit more conservative with age, or maybe SH/SC was always more mature.

It's not IT that fires people for that, it's IT that reports it to people who can fire people for that. It's a security risk. It's a multi-user unix OS so install things in your ~/Applications folder if you need stuff that you can't install in /Applications.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

As GutBomb said, it's sort of a security thing, really. IT wouldn't be able to fire you, but what if some sensitive data from your machine was leaked (even if it had nothing to do with you reformatting the drive) and IT reports that your device had essentially been compromised.. by you? And you didn't have time to clone the original image back onto the drive?

Probably wouldn't play well. Just lookin' out for ya.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well thanks -- I was thinking more along the lines that if it is a completely new install and I was connecting through public WiFi then it's basically no more of a security risk than some visitor sitting there with their laptop.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
alternately: it's not your computer to gently caress with, so don't gently caress with it

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is it possible to project my iPhone's screen onto a larger one (either via some lightning to HDMI dealie, bluetooth, or some sort of wireless streaming?)

It'd be cool to be able to just pull up Netflix on my phone and project it onto a TV, especially since I could do that when traveling in hotels pretty easily.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is it possible to project my iPhone's screen onto a larger one (either via some lightning to HDMI dealie, bluetooth, or some sort of wireless streaming?)

It'd be cool to be able to just pull up Netflix on my phone and project it onto a TV, especially since I could do that when traveling in hotels pretty easily.

First result on Google for "lightning to hdmi"

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-Adapter-MD826AM/dp/B009WHV3BM

You can also use an Apple TV to use AirPlay but that's even more expensive/less workable in hotels. If you have a Mac, you could attach your phone to it using a USB cable and use QuickTime to mirror the screen, but it doesn't sound like you have one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

maskenfreiheit posted:

Do you have a Mac? You can plug it in over USB and view your screen on the Mac with QuickTime. Then just interface the computer with the projector or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

If he had a Mac I'm not sure why playing Netflix on his phone would be even a little necessary.