Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

Do you think that might have more of an effect?

No, because it's still protest against a company that's gonna keep up with those practices until they're unable to do so. Companies do not give one whiff of a gently caress what people actually want or think, it's what they buy or don't buy.

If millions of people didn't buy Dishonored 2? Then the game's a loss, the price drops in a couple of months to move copies off shelves, the publisher moves on after sucking up all the money it can get and maybe closing down the studio that made the game or at least firing a few hundred people, and nothing changes. They aren't gonna reexamine what they did wrong, they're gonna sever and move on. The only times games come out that have actively made an effort to improve are always because the developers made the effort, not that the publishers wanted them to.

I actually think Jim's earlier video on Hellblade is the better solution; just cut out the middle men and publish on your own. Yes there's more risk to yourself, but the rewards are higher and the final product will actually get the care and attention it deserves from both the makers and the audience. And an added bonus, you're not paying a publisher to gently caress you over whenever they choose to.

EDIT: Biggest takeaway I have from the video is that it must be nice to live in a place where games aren't $80 a pop so you can complain that it's the DLC that pushes it over $100 and not just taxes.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Anthony Fantano did a response to the Fader article that tried to tie him to the alt-right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZqIIy7pAk

The greatest YouTube reviewer in the world makes his return and goes to Morocco in search of chips, wings, a strip burger and a cheeky Mirinda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwANDfkOskg

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I feel like Jim's being willfully dense about the $60 stasis. Games have slowly gotten smaller for $60 because a dollar is worth less and less game. In a large part because the $60 stasis has been in place since before every single word of a video game needed to be professionally voice acted (something Jim conveniently forgot to mention).

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 10, 2017

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That argument he makes at the end of the video that gamers never wanted better graphics or games to become more advanced is downright embarrassing. I mean come the gently caress on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No ethical consumption under capitalism.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Seemlar posted:

That argument he makes at the end of the video that gamers never wanted better graphics or games to become more advanced is downright embarrassing. I mean come the gently caress on.

It sure would be a bad argument if it were the one he made.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

New Butt Order posted:

every single word of a video game needed to be professionally voice acted

Do they?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Every word of a video game's tutorial screen should be voice acted, even if the game itself has not other voice work.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
In other news, SFDebris does a review of the best Batman TAS episode.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's not Almost Got 'Im. :colbert:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

nope, the best batman tas episode is the one where batman gets amnesia and believes that he's a hobo

and then alfred pilots the batjet

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s way too many Best Batman TAS episodes, don’t make me choose!

Heart of Ice isn’t that great though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been rewatching the Tequila and Bonetti episodes (amazing to get you feeling happy when you're down), and now I'm all disappointed that show only got 12 episodes according to the Brad in the first video.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been rewatching the Tequila and Bonetti episodes (amazing to get you feeling happy when you're down), and now I'm all disappointed that show only got 12 episodes according to the Brad in the first video.

Yeah. The way Brad talks about it, it almost sounds like one of those shows that somehow ran for three years just beneath everyone's notice.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Lessail posted:

Do they?
In the dumb way you're trying to ask? No it's technically possible to make a successful game without full voice acting.
In the actual way based on consumer expectations? Yes, absolutely.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

New Butt Order posted:

I feel like Jim's being willfully dense about the $60 stasis. Games have slowly gotten smaller for $60 because a dollar is worth less and less game. In a large part because the $60 stasis has been in place since before every single word of a video game needed to be professionally voice acted (something Jim conveniently forgot to mention).
So then why do we get a version of Battlefront that's just objectively worse than the older versions of Battlefront on every level save graphics? Has it just become harder to make a game that isn't hot garbage? Has the talent run out or are newer systems just incapable of playing good games?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

New Butt Order posted:

In the dumb way you're trying to ask? No it's technically possible to make a successful game without full voice acting.
In the actual way based on consumer expectations? Yes, absolutely.

Sounds like someone didn't watch the video to the end

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

So then why do we get a version of Battlefront that's just objectively worse than the older versions of Battlefront on every level save graphics? Has it just become harder to make a game that isn't hot garbage? Has the talent run out or are newer systems just incapable of playing good games?

It's just a bad game dude, it's not complicated

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the fact is, the reasons games cost so much to produce are fuckin dumb. we don't need thousands of people across a whole bunch of studios working on a fuckin assassin's creed game. dead space 3 did not need to cost so much to produce and market that it needed 5 million sales just to break even.

games cost so much to make because publishers are so fixated on trying to make every game appeal to every person. maybe they shouldn't do that.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 10, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

and the whole 'but they've cost 60 dollars for so long' argument holds no water as publishers continue raking in gigantic profits and were doing so before microtransactions and dlc were in everything. it's not about recouping losses and it's not even about paying the developers better, it's 100% about making the extremely rich ceos in charge of the publishers and their shareholders more money.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 10, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

When there is a pattern of bad games stretching back to at least 2010 it's more than just one bad game. It'd be like if those terrible Hunger Games-a-like film series were 90% of all big budget movies. We have had these lovely garbage games that people keep buying and this won't stop until people stop buying them. Every voice telling people not to buy the next Farcry, the next Battlefield, the next Call of Duty, the next Assassin's Creed and all the dozens of series that are more or less identical trash is a good thing. Every AAA game bought is a person consciously asking the game industry to make nothing but terrible abusive games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

When there is a pattern of bad games stretching back to at least 2010 it's more than just one bad game. It'd be like if those terrible Hunger Games-a-like film series were 90% of all big budget movies. We have had these lovely garbage games that people keep buying and this won't stop until people stop buying them. Every voice telling people not to buy the next Farcry, the next Battlefield, the next Call of Duty, the next Assassin's Creed and all the dozens of series that are more or less identical trash is a good thing. Every AAA game bought is a person consciously asking the game industry to make nothing but terrible abusive games.

People like battlefield, cod, far cry and AC. They aren't going to stop buying them because some other person is calling them bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
games cost too much because people have different tastes than me AND ARE WRONG FOR IT

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Sometimes bad games get made.

Lessail posted:

Sounds like someone didn't watch the video to the end

Wrong, actually.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

People buying games I don't like directly leads to those games publishers buying up companies that make games I do like and then firing destroying the good games and the companies that made them.

New Butt Order posted:

Sometimes bad games get made.
They get made because they chop it up to be sold back to you all frankensteined together.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

People buying games I don't like directly leads to those games publishers buying up companies that make games I do like and then firing destroying the good games and the companies that made them.

They get made because they chop it up to be sold back to you all frankensteined together.

It's actually chemtrails mind-controlling consumers to buy things they hate to make you (you, specifically) sad.

Ron Paul 2004

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
There's an outside chance that it might be that 20 years is a long time for any product to stay the same price so of course changes have happened to it, but more likely it's a vast intentional conspiracy to make you sad in particular.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The new Newbie avatar is really appropriate for you given the amount of corporate apologism you're dishing out.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I am rubber and you are glue.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I always find it super weird when criticism of the top-to-bottom scummy business side of games is married to hyper-aggressive judgement of the games themselves and the audience of said games.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Jim did, during the scattershot ending, touch on a good point that the infamous Horse Armor offers more for less than a lot of poo poo like lootboxes and key crates. I've actually been waiting for a commentator I follow to latch onto that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I didn't see anyone mention this, but Brad released a new Friday the 13th review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XJZngtqMws

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sexpig by night posted:

games cost too much because people have different tastes than me AND ARE WRONG FOR IT

taste has nothing to do with it.

trying to make every game sell fucktons of copie to satisfy shareholders and consequently ballooning your marketing budget to silly numbers however does have something to do with it.

dead space 3 is the most egregious example of this poo poo but it's kinda everywhere in the aaa space. they could absolutely survive at 60 dollars a game without microtransactions and poo poo, they just don't because it'd make shareholders and executives less rich.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's not just the publishers. Developers love adding trivial poo poo to games that hike up the production costs. Heck, high-quality graphics probably matter more to the developers themselves than the consumers. See the MGS series and all the poo poo they do. Kojima just had to have horse poop physics, licensing over a million dollars' worth of music, and the expensive voice talents of Kiefer Sutherland, just to name a few things that drove the budget up. CoD's infamous fish AI is another example.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think MGS is a very typical example of high budget game production

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's not typical but it's less of an outlier than you think it is. Production bloat is a very real and widespread issue with AAA gaming. I mean, look at what's happened to Square Enix. Every Final Fantasy game since the jump to HD has suffered from chaotic production and released way behind schedule. One of them nearly killed the company entirely and had to be scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up after it already released. With hundreds of people working on games, organization and planning become exponentially harder.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The same financiers that made Hollywood what it is today all jumped in on games, applying the same rubrics and decision-flowcharts to the medium. They have a very specific idea of what games should look like and what stories they should tell. Thus the drab color palettes that have characterized DC movies and endless zombie premises that characterize each major E3 presentation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

It's not typical but it's less of an outlier than you think it is. Production bloat is a very real and widespread issue with AAA gaming. I mean, look at what's happened to Square Enix. Every Final Fantasy game since the jump to HD has suffered from chaotic production and released way behind schedule. One of them nearly killed the company entirely and had to be scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up after it already released. With hundreds of people working on games, organization and planning become exponentially harder.

In Square's case a lot of their production issues stemmed from the fact that after they lost a lot of their old guard producers over the course of the PS2 era, their experiments with "new blood" producers turned out to largely be failures because when push came to shove, the likes of Motomu Toriyama, Testsuya Nomura, and Hajime Tabata just didn't know how to helm large-scale productions competently. (I'm including Tabata in there because while he may have been "the man who saved Final Fantasy XV", he did so just barely, meanwhile Final Fantasy Type-0--his demo reel for taking over XV--is a goddamn mess in its own right).

To this day I'm astounded that Testuya Nomura hasn't been fired from Square yet for his gently caress ups. Kingdom Hearts I and II must have earned him an ungodly amount of good will with SE corporate, because after Dirge of Cerberus and the production disasters of Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III, he should have been shown the door, not the director's chair for the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Which--surprise!--is also shaping up to be a production disaster under Nomura's "leadership" that Square's CEO himself flat out said probably wouldn't be done until late 2020. Oh I'm sorry, Episode 1 of which wouldn't be done until 2020.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 10, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What I feel a lot of the thread don't get about gaming publishers is that they are on an neverendless stride to grow. Could they make more niche games with smaller budgets that would have a higher return on investment? Probably yes, especially considering that the marginal costs of selling more products are extremely low in gaming. However, it's not in their interests or the interests of their shareholders to do so. The AAA gaming formula works for what it does, it reliably turns huge lump sums of capital into slightly larger lump sums of capital. Blockbuster movies in Hollywood function the same way. They're creative efforts and consumer products second, their core function is to be investment vehicles. For the same reason the usual suspects of Hollywood would never produce something like Get Out, big gaming publishers won't ever fund something like Minecraft. The potentially insane return on investment is irrelevant, because they're not in the business of small projects. They want to minimize risk while maximizing, or at least retaining, growth.

The financial incentives are just not there for better big gaming business platforms in a financial environment where dividends are passé and prospective growth is everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Anthony Fantano did a response to the Fader article that tried to tie him to the alt-right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZqIIy7pAk

don't worry, the lovely eggman with the loser voice was just being racist for soulless, opportunistic money-making purposes, not because he's actually racist

• Locked thread