Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

All dualsports have this now. BMW GS have had for years. No clue why.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. https://www.google.no/search?q=adventure+motorcycle+beak&tbm=isch

The beak started out as the regular high mounted fender on dirtbikes.

Then, like the peacock or the narwhal or whatever, evolution just went loving nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Really? Cause everyone I've spoken to IRL who has had contact with them, as well as people on this very forum, have said that they're extremely poorly put together and not very robust at all beyond the big heavy chunks of steel aspect.

Their primary market is the rural poor of India - pick a random home-market RE and it'll have done more miles offroad within a year (and carrying more weight) than 50 random GSAs will in their lifetime. They'll be held together by twine, mud, and a small idol of Ganesh by the end of that year but they'll keep loving going. Think of it like the AK47 of the bike world - ugly, cheap, put together badly, but basically indestructible in the hands of anyone with even the vaguest mechanical sense and most rudimentary of tools.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

It's like an Indian KLR. but cool.

I like it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

All dualsports have this now. BMW GS have had for years. No clue why.

Not all dual sports have them.

WR250R:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

predictive posted:

It's like an Indian KLR. but cool.

I like it.

So the KLH

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. https://www.google.no/search?q=adventure+motorcycle+beak&tbm=isch

Then, like the peacock or the narwhal or whatever, evolution just went loving nuts.

Until eventually, like the human appendix:

it shrivels away to nothing.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Day Man posted:

Not all dual sports have them.

WR250R:

thats a plated dirt bike in comparison to a gelande strasse, not quite the same really

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Really? Cause everyone I've spoken to IRL who has had contact with them, as well as people on this very forum, have said that they're extremely poorly put together and not very robust at all beyond the big heavy chunks of steel aspect.

It's a different kind of 'sturdy'. The kind that means your speedo might not work, or the electric ignition, or the indicators and things will fall off all the time but nothing that will necessarily stop the bike from moving you and your 200kg of cargo from point A to point B. Even if you crack the frame a little old man on the side of the road will reinforce it with a bit of rebar using a stick welder made of ganged truck batteries and a welding mask made of cardboard. It's the Indian C90.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Let's have a quick quiz. Tonight on my way home I saw someone dressed in t-shirt, shorts and trainers, doing >60 in a 30 zone, jumping a red light and then trying (and failing) to pop a wheelie as he filtered between a car and stopped traffic.

What motorcycle was he on? No points just for the brand, that much would be far too obvious.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Jixxa, obv

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Let's have a quick quiz. Tonight on my way home I saw someone dressed in t-shirt, shorts and trainers, doing >60 in a 30 zone, jumping a red light and then trying (and failing) to pop a wheelie as he filtered between a car and stopped traffic.

What motorcycle was he on? No points just for the brand, that much would be far too obvious.

Trick question. Yamaha YZF450R quad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Their primary market is the rural poor of India - pick a random home-market RE and it'll have done more miles offroad within a year (and carrying more weight) than 50 random GSAs will in their lifetime. They'll be held together by twine, mud, and a small idol of Ganesh by the end of that year but they'll keep loving going. Think of it like the AK47 of the bike world - ugly, cheap, put together badly, but basically indestructible in the hands of anyone with even the vaguest mechanical sense and most rudimentary of tools.
This is true. Build quality is not good, chrome will flake off and parts will vibrate loose. But the basic components are unlikely to blow up. They're overbuilt in that sense like old BMWs used to be.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

:dance: I passed my BRC! I also felt like I got a ton out of the class. For having gone into the class as a full :shobon:, I left feeling like I had a lot greater appreciation for motorcycling and with a much more solid skill foundation.

A few thoughts from the process:

1) Holy hell - people buy some crazy rear end bikes for their first motorcycles. This ranged from a tame Ninja 300 (owned by a girl who had crashed 2 previous 600cc sportsbikes without ever having taken the class) to a BMW K1300R. About half the class had 600cc race spec bikes, and would complain about how hard it was to ride the TU250X and/or GROM because the lack of power. One guy had a Daytona 675. The instructor point blank told him not to ride it until he had more miles on a smaller learning bike. I hope that got through to him.

2) After having been terrified and working myself up into a tizzy over it, the box was not that bad. Just turn your head! Then yell at yourself to turn your head more.

3) Offset cones are soooooo fun!

4) My bike only had... what, 14 horsepower? DR200. Holy poo poo, the Bonneville is going to feel like going plaid.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Jixxa, obv

Yep, you get half a point, but for the full points you need to give me the cc.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yep, you get half a point, but for the full points you need to give me the cc.

750?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ding. I swear the 750 is only made for the fuckwits now, there can't be any other possible market.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Bikes so resilient, the foot pegs break off in their own promotional video.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Hahaha!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

I always thought the idea was you'd ride around like that on road trips but if you were doing some serious adventure you unbolt the lower one? Is that not the intended use? Cause if it's meant to be permanent it's the DUMBEST loving THING OF ALL TIME.

Slim Pickens posted:

Needless to say I remain unconvinced. I understand that the peasants love them and they can be bodgineered easily but I'm pretty sure something like a KLR or DR650 would do even better in that situation.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Honda Japan just announced a fuckin RACE GROM

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Supradog posted:

Hm, I really like this bike.

180kg wet, 450km range, 25ish horsies, big front wheel. huge travel on suspension

If I want to go retro hipster style, I can actually get a bike for my kinda riding.

http://www.gizmag.com/royal-enfield-himalayan/41671/

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSdInyfUD8M

Been looking at this too for my first 'real' bike once i pass my DAS, i mean it would be a step up from my Chinese 125 supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The low fender is so rocks don't kick into your radiator. See the 950/990 supermoto for an example of doing it right.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Z3n posted:

The low fender is so rocks don't kick into your radiator. See the 950/990 supermoto for an example of doing it right.

ya no poo poo, the useless top one mixed with a useful bottom one is the issue

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

The low fender is so rocks don't kick into your radiator.

That's the point of any fender on any bike, including mud and water spray of course. The high fender of auld tymes is just because they took the regular fender and mounted it high for some reason, perhaps worrying about getting something stuck there. There is no point of a high fender or a beak, it's all image - a ridiculous image.

Case in point:

Huge beak with zero purpose, tiny fender with tiny effect. It seems to protect the underside of the beak somewhat, but not the radiator.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't want your hugger to get all jammed with mud, thereby damaging it or locking the front wheel.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

You don't want your hugger to get all jammed with mud, thereby damaging it or locking the front wheel.

And yet

Now, the two last ones have foregone the beak, to their credit. But apparently they don't consider getting stuff jammed in there a problem.

Now, if there's one bike you can trust to keep it real...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

An excellent point, and the solution is to not loving have one and have a beak instead. Having both is retarded and stupid in the extreme, it's like those alloy nudgebars on SUV's or a spoiler on top of another spoiler or something. It fundamentally does not make sense to have both - either you have a normal guard and everything is great, or you have a beak because you plan on getting super muddy and a normal guard would get clogged and destroyed.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
gently caress the beak haters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

Nobody hates the beak. That guard is fine and perfect for what it's for. We're saying it would be stupid if it had another guard flush against the wheel underneath it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Drz front fender is actually really functional and owns and I get IRL :ssj: when people chop them to make "shawty" fenders

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Dakar bikes switch from high to low and back depending on conditions. :shrug:

clutchpuck posted:

And this is why. :respek:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I always thought the idea was you'd ride around like that on road trips but if you were doing some serious adventure you unbolt the lower one? Is that not the intended use? Cause if it's meant to be permanent it's the DUMBEST loving THING OF ALL TIME.

Needless to say I remain unconvinced. I understand that the peasants love them and they can be bodgineered easily but I'm pretty sure something like a KLR or DR650 would do even better in that situation.

FWIW I've broken footpegs off a KLR. Its quite common. Weight that of a small star and jump one.

also fuuuuuuck low fenders. keep it on the triples or not at all. loving muddy caking gently caress you argh!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Razzled posted:

That's not a beak, that's a sensible high fender. Just like the KLR!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Razzled posted:

that dude must be tiny

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

that dude must be tiny

He's probably 6'1" 165.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

He's probably 6'1" 165.

my votes 5'8-510 and 140-160.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Nobody hates the beak. That guard is fine and perfect for what it's for. We're saying it would be stupid if it had another guard flush against the wheel underneath it. some fucker cut off the bit behind the fork tubes that protects the radiator and upper frame.

That's my beef anyhow. If the Enfield that started this conversation had two functioning fenders I wouldn't have a problem with it, because you could reasonably remove the hugger to do dirt riding and not get your everything caked in mud.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In a related vein, how do people ride dirtbikes on the road with knobby tyres still on them? I rode an RMZ250 with knobbies the other day; cornering was loving terrifying and it would light up the rear wheel if you accelerated too hard in first. Felt like a normal bike with completely flat tyres.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

my votes 5'8-510 and 140-160.

He's flat footing a drz. It's a Super moto with 17 inchers, but he still has room to spare. That's got to be a 33" inseam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Right foot is on the peg, I can flat foot a drz with my right foot on the peg no problem and my inseam is 30 inches.

And the high beak on the 950 supermoto is to stop mud and water spray from getting in your face. The low one takes care of most of the poo poo that'd hit the radiator. The beaks do actually have a purpose, but the modern road going environment does not demand such extreme adaptations anymore.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 13, 2016