Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

To be fair there are gods in Catherine so it may not be a stretch to assume it could be in the same universe as the SMT games. There is also space tourism though so I don't even know what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
vincent cameo is in girl route, which they can get away with because she isn't canon anyway

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Remembering Ronde isn't bad, but no Majin Tensei and especially no Groove On Fight? 2/5.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Excels posted:

vincent cameo is in girl route, which they can get away with because she isn't canon anyway

Vincent is in both routes.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Remembering Ronde isn't bad, but no Majin Tensei and especially no Groove On Fight? 2/5.

Majin Tensei is in there :confused:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
None of the timelines matter because they're all connected to the Amala network and everything in them is controlled by Brahman. Beating YHWH means nothing, his data is still in the cycle. Reach enlightenment to truly be free.

DDS is best SMT.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Such a good SMT game that it wasn't even labelled one until localized!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

HGH posted:

Such a good SMT game that it wasn't even labelled one until localized!

Well, nor are most of them. There's, what? The mainline games, if..., the first Devil Summoner, NINE, IMAGINE, and Devil Children? I mean, even Devil Survivor is Megami Ibunroku.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

None of the timelines matter because they're all connected to the Amala network and everything in them is controlled by Brahman. Beating YHWH means nothing, his data is still in the cycle. Reach enlightenment to truly be free.

DDS is best SMT.

I would think Brahman is one of the lesser deities, only having dominion over one version of the earth.
I did like that it had one of the warp cylinders from Nocturne on its head.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Having only played Persona games and SMT4, I have no loving idea what you guys are talking about.
It all seems incredibly fascinating, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The_Frag_Man posted:

I would think Brahman is one of the lesser deities, only having dominion over one version of the earth.
I did like that it had one of the warp cylinders from Nocturne on its head.

Except multiple realities of the Amala network pour through the Sun Server in DDS. Like the SMT 2 cast of Archangels and Satan are there. And then the Demi-fiend is in the junkyard one, so his Data had to pass through Brahma's control at some point. So at least multiple nodes along the amala network are under his control.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 16, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Excels posted:

The second Persona 3 movie has subs now, you should download it

Eh, are the subs good or bad? I could just try it out for myself but I figured I might as well ask here too :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember watching the first one ages ago and all the -sans and honorifics and such were replaced with Mr. and Ms., and it's just plain funny to read casual conversations with "Mr. Junpei" and "Ms. Fuuka".

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Ser Junpei
Fräulein Fuuka

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Having only played Persona games and SMT4, I have no loving idea what you guys are talking about.

It's not

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So uh there's this Sales data of Persona games in Japan

It is fairly obvious stuff for the most part except for Persona 1 as the best selling Persona title ever. :psyduck:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

GimmickMan posted:

It is fairly obvious stuff for the most part except for Persona 1 as the best selling Persona title ever. :psyduck:

Obviously they should start porting their games to PC again then!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Some serious hate for Eternal Punishment.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Obviously they should start porting their games to PC again then!

Persona 1 actually did get a PC port in Japan. Only found that out a month or so ago.

HGH posted:

Some serious hate for Eternal Punishment.

The idea of adult protagonists doesn't sit well for Persona's target audience in Japan. That and the ending of Innocent Sin is kind of controversial so it may have put some people off.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Persona 1 actually did get a PC port in Japan. Only found that out a month or so ago.

That's what I was joking about, yeah.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GimmickMan posted:

Looks like Persona 1 was a good game all along :smug:
(not really)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Moltrey posted:

Looks like Persona 1 was a good game all along :smug:
(not really)

Not, it is a good game. For it's time period.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not, it is a good game. For it's time period.
Persona 1 is a game that has a lot of style, atmosphere and pretty good music, but boy howdy is that a rough game to play now. I haven't beat it, but I like it was doing. Persona 1 is neat!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Every Persona game before P3P is kind of hard to go back to now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Every Persona game before P3P is kind of hard to go back to now.

What about P4 Vanilla?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno why you'd want to play vanilla when P4G exists.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno why you'd want to play vanilla when P4G exists.

Who the hell wants to own a vita/ps tv.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It makes way more sense than owning a PS3 or PS2 at this point.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

P4 Vanilla is definitely an acceptable substitute for Golden if you don't have and are not planning to get a Vita.

That being said I still really want a Vita to play Golden.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
A little something new about P5.

Soejima: We still have a lot left to show, so hopefully people keep an eye on us and wait to see what’s coming up. Chief among those, in fact, are more allied characters that we have yet to show, but I’d say that we won’t be running out of new stuff to reveal any time soon.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Who the hell wants to own a vita/ps tv.

The vita owns

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I like it as a Persona machine, I just wish there were more non-persona SMT games on it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Alder posted:

In the meantime see if they sell any LE SMT/Atlus merch there. I still want to know if you can buy a Jack Frost plush/doll even though it's discontinued years ago. I know I already own a Raiho one but still :sigh:

The persona figs are nice but pricey.

They have stores that sell pretty much anything that ever came out but pre-owned, which ew

Also I didn't spend a huge amount of time looking for that sort of thing but I didn't find much SMT stuff, it's mostly moe anime I never heard of that is probably super popular now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

This is how I felt about the SMT series before playing it. When you actually play it it's actually more grounded than it seems.

Like you can describe Persona 3 to someone as "You shoot yourself in the head to summon Satan and avert the apocalypse, and the cast has Greek gods, and it's an allegory" and then you play it and like, your team members go on an anime beach episode trip where they meet a Kawaii Robot who learns to love, and also there's a dog, and actually they don't go that far into the mythological aspects at all which I personally find to be a bit of a bummer.

I never played DDS though, maybe they actually do go that far into the concept which sounds really cool.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never played DDS though, maybe they actually do go that far into the concept which sounds really cool.
It's very grounded once you accept the idea that there is a virus making people grow Chomp tits and turning everyone into cannibals. Then you need to accept that the Sun is your god and it's sick of your bullshit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the standard SMT setting is that the world is destroyed and/or being destroyed and therefore you need to kill God. Persona is a bit of an outlier in that it's more grounded and the game doesn't start with the world imploding.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Clarste posted:

I think the standard SMT setting is that the world is destroyed and/or being destroyed and therefore you need to kill God. Persona is a bit of an outlier in that it's more grounded and the game doesn't start with the world imploding.

It's amazing I like the games as much as I do because it sounds incredibly stupid when you put it like that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HGH posted:

I remember watching the first one ages ago and all the -sans and honorifics and such were replaced with Mr. and Ms., and it's just plain funny to read casual conversations with "Mr. Junpei" and "Ms. Fuuka".

Personally I think that using japanese honorifics in a translation is lazy as hell

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All according to keikaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

It's amazing I like the games as much as I do because it sounds incredibly stupid when you put it like that.

How is it more ridiculous than the plot of pretty much any game or fantasy/scifi thing when you just state the barest of summaries though?