Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've had Monster on pre-order since March. Definitely looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

I will be pre-ordering it as soon as I get paid this weekend. So hyped, just raved about the traitor to my friends upon finding out the monster will be out so soon. Perfect time to reread the traitor as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'll wait for the sale. I'm trying to purge my book collection already.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

While I’m here I might as well rouse you fine lot for preorders on the sequel, which comes out in less than two months and which I have no worldly idea whether anyone will like or buy. Second book sales drop is usually huge even when you don’t lose a couple years to intense :smith:brain

But since book preorder numbers are usually so small, double or triple digits, every one makes a difference.

FWIW cant preorder the kindle version from AU on the .com amazon

doesn't seem to be on amazon.com.au at all

you've got a moral preorder here.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm not seeing that 3 dollar price here :/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And for those using Kobos, you can pre-order a DRM-free EPUB version here.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Preordered without hesitation.

:same:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

While I’m here I might as well rouse you fine lot for preorders on the sequel, which comes out in less than two months and which I have no worldly idea whether anyone will like or buy. Second book sales drop is usually huge even when you don’t lose a couple years to intense :smith:brain

But since book preorder numbers are usually so small, double or triple digits, every one makes a difference.

Is there some way I can order a couple signed editions? My sister bought me Traitor for a birthday and I want to return the favour and one-up her at the same time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You would need to buy them, send them to me, trust that I (a huge lazy piece of poo poo) would sign them and get them back to you, and hassle me about it all the time until I did. Wish it were easier. :(

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

K, I'll just pre-order some then, no worries.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

General Battuta posted:

You would need to buy them, send them to me, trust that I (a huge lazy piece of poo poo) would sign them and get them back to you, and hassle me about it all the time until I did. Wish it were easier. :(

Are you a bad enough dude to attend cons as a professional yet?

(Legitimate question, some cons are apparently very lovely over who they seem a pro.)

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

I'm kind of a [insert derogatory term here] and download probably 60% of books if I'm not sure of the quality, then I buy them after I read them if they end up being good. But I'm buying your book to support a fellow goon and will read when I get a chance.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

LMAO jesus 15$ for the preorder? You're lucky I love you.

Edit: Seriously though totes worth it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Are your short stories available in any physical form? I've been getting everyone I know to read Testimony Before an Emergency Session of the Naval Cephalopod Command partly because it owns, but also because I love saying the words "Naval Cephalopod Command"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are your short stories available in any physical form? I've been getting everyone I know to read Testimony Before an Emergency Session of the Naval Cephalopod Command partly because it owns, but also because I love saying the words "Naval Cephalopod Command"

Conversely, I would love an epub of that plus the Morrigan stories and other free-online stuff, which I guess I could compile myself using calibre but :effort:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

occamsnailfile posted:

There's a newer translation that cleans up a lot of the mistakes of the first one--the first translator not only left out a bunch of stuff but also inserted anti-semitism in places, like referring to a character as "the cackling old Jew." Nemo was meant to be an Indian prince who lost everything after the Indian Mutiny but the translation ignored a lot of his important backstory and later adaptations often made him European, sometimes Polish nobility whose family were tortured by Russians, motivating him to leave the surface world.

What I find interesting is that in '54 Disney adaptation, even as a kid I came away with the strong impression that the Hated Nation was Britain. Which I assume is because in the attack on Volcania, the soldiers came over the hill wearing loving Pith helmets which to me were iconic of British exploration (or more accurately, colonialism). Only much later did I learn he was meant to be an Indian prince and the idea of him hating Britain just fit so neatly I was like, "Makes sense".

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Olena Bormashenko english translation of the Strugatsky brothers Hard to be a God is pretty good. The earlier 1973 DAW english translation edition is pretty good too, if you are able to track down a copy of it. Don Reba continues to be opportunistic gutter trash, Arata will never give up, and it truly is hard to be a god in the Arkanar Kingdom without snapping mentally.

Hard to be a God takes place in the Strugatsky brothers Noon Universe setting, and the Noon Universe is exceptionally interesting/weird/disturbing/hopeful/downtrodden/hosed up, all at the same time. In the Noon Universe, it is the 22nd century on Earth. Communism won, aliens exist, and the 22nd century earth is a post-scarcity paradise with FTL interstellar travel, 99% of humanity is dosed up on captain america superserum, and the 22nd century earthgov is cool with bored civilians grabbing publicly available spaceships and doing the gruntwork of "exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before.

The greatest issue for mankind in the Noon Universe is what degree of intervention humanity will perform on "lesser alien civilizations"....do they go full speed change (The Progressor Faction), or do they hold back and mostly observe (The Conservationists)? Doing nothing isn't a option to them, and the conflicts that result tend to drive the plots of most of the Noon Universe stories.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 6, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Thank you all so much.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Thank you all so much.
I loved the first one; you keep the books coming and I'll keep the preorders coming.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I know Myke Cole was sending signed bookplates to people who asked for them. Not sure if he was doing it for free or a nominal charge.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He normally sends em out for free.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

Thank you all so much.
Well, guess I bought your book for a second time, I'm sure $3 filtered through Kindle sale percentages doesn't give you hardly anything but I got your numbers up.

(also preordered physical copy of Monster because I hadn't yet and I didn't know preorder numbers were typically so low!)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Crap, a friend wanted to know about a book I read and I can't remember it. It was a western fantasy sort of book, with Chinese worker vampires, I think. The protagonist really reminded me of John Marston.

Anyone have an idea? Not having any luck with google. It is a few years old tops.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Crap, a friend wanted to know about a book I read and I can't remember it. It was a western fantasy sort of book, with Chinese worker vampires, I think. The protagonist really reminded me of John Marston.

Anyone have an idea? Not having any luck with google. It is a few years old tops.
I just finished The Curse of Jacob Tracy by Holly Messinger and one of the stories deals with a bunch of zombified Chinese workers attacking a stopped train, maybe that? Vampirism is mentioned in connection to that as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think that's it!

Thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's just lucky coincidence I literally finished it today; it didn't exactly make a lasting impression.

Speaking of - anyone knows any good western-themed fantasy apart from The Half-Made World?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't think of any offhand. A few books into my TBR list I have Blood Hunters, which is some kinda western vampire book. There's another one after that about some supernatural hunter lady in the old west but I can't recall the name offhand.

Can't afford the new book, but I bought a spare copy of the first one GB.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

anilEhilated posted:

It's just lucky coincidence I literally finished it today; it didn't exactly make a lasting impression.

Speaking of - anyone knows any good western-themed fantasy apart from The Half-Made World?

The Gunslinger?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

There's the Golgatha series by RS Belcher. It's more weird western, but broadly fits western+fantasy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

anilEhilated posted:

David Gemmell's Sipstrassi novels contain a trilogy of fantasy westerns: Wolf in Shadow, The Last Guardian and Bloodstone. The other novels, Ghost King and Last Sword of Power, are Arthurian myth but more than tangentially connected. Reading order is fluid; publication order is WiS - GK - LSoP - TLG - BS, or you can read the subthreads in either order (although I'd recommend reading the westerns first).

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Laura Anne Gilman’s The Devil’s West books, Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse, Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, the Shadow books by Lila Bowen. Have fun!

Fake edit: Red Country by Joe Abercrombie, but I’m not sure how accessible that is without reading the other related books. Probably be fine.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

anilEhilated posted:

The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs is sort of western-themed fantasy. I enjoyed it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finished Orconomics. That was not very good. A bad fantasy novel, poorly written, and the humor pieces didn't make up for it.

Reading Sweterlitsch's The Gone World now. I'm loving it - can't put it down.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Went to buy The Traitor Baru Cormorant on the sale yesterday, turns out I already had it. Don't know why I hadn't read it yet.

I'm ~20% of the way in, just preordered the sequel. This book is pretty good.

Also I'd been a fan of Testimony Before an Emergency Session of The Naval Cephalopod Command for a while and didn't realize it was the same author as Baru, so that's cool

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gvibes posted:

Finished Orconomics. That was not very good. A bad fantasy novel, poorly written, and the humor pieces didn't make up for it.

Personally, I didn't get very far into it before I gave up.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

anilEhilated posted:

It’s not a novel, but the comic series The Sixth Gun might scratch the itch?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shitshow posted:

It’s not a novel, but the comic series The Sixth Gun might scratch the itch?

Oh, if we're going comics, then East of West

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

TIm Power's Last Call for modern, also King's Dark Tower / "The Little Sisters of Eluria" short story

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh, if we're going comics, then East of West
I'd call East of West sci-fi more than fantasy; it's set in 2064, there's flying cars, the protagonist has a mechanical horse that shoots lasers, but he's also Death as in the 4th Horseman of the Apocalypse. It's pretty good and I do strongly recommend it, though not necessary as Western fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

darthbob88 posted:

I'd call East of West sci-fi more than fantasy; it's set in 2064, there's flying cars, the protagonist has a mechanical horse that shoots lasers, but he's also Death as in the 4th Horseman of the Apocalypse. It's pretty good and I do strongly recommend it, though not necessary as Western fantasy.

I'd argue that the fantastic elements are a lot more important than the sci-fi elements in East of West.