Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Morpheus posted:

James just received a letter from his dead wife, why wouldn't that reopen a trauma wound and make it fresh again. His wife died only three years ago, that's not a lot of time to simply become numb to it.

I mean, yes, it's different from the original, but I'm wondering how much of blowback is people doing their own interpretation of things from the original game vs what the developers actually wanted to convey but simply couldn't, and then the question arises about which is better.

I can't say I have too much hope in Bloober's remake, but I'm hopeful for it. Being cynical is boring as poo poo, I'm going to look forward to this until the full product is out and people actually find out what they did with it.

Which is why I acknowledge that I could be jumping at shadows. It's true we won't know how well it works or doesn't until we have the game. Of course I'm more biased in favor of the original game due to nostalgia and how well it holds up even today, but that's a hurdle any remake of a critically acclaimed and beloved game will face. It's harder to justify the changes. Hopefully they pull it off in the actual game.

Back to my original criticism, I could see a more dramatic reaction upon first receiving the letter, but after having decided to make the long drive? To allow for the hope that she's somehow still alive despite how impossible that should be? That's the part I find incongruous.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo it's mostly a tone thing. In the original James wanders through the town in a daze because he's sixteen layers of delusional over the fact that he killed his wife all of a week ago and (if Rebirth is to be believed) stuck her body in the trunk of his car. He's confused and sad, not frantically searching for her. The opening is one thing, but the graveyard scene is what really sets it, and we haven't seen that yet. The new one kind of gives the impression that he should be running up to Angela and screaming "sorry about your sister or whatever but MY WIFE IS ALIVE HOLY poo poo".

It just seems like Bloober is going for more of an action game than the originals slower, more restrained style.

I don't really recall this. I know there was some timeline inconsistencies as part of James' repression of what really happened, but I didn't think it was that recent. But maybe I missed that detail. To the wikis I go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Laura totally scuppers James’s timeline by the time you reach the hotel but it kind of disappears into the background weirdness by then

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The SH2 remake trailer looked great and I enjoyed Blair Witch, Observer, and Layers of Fear so I'm really hype and looking forward to it!

I dont have a hate boner for a dev that will make me miserable while I wait for the game to come out

al-azad posted:

Bloober has no subtlety, like James grabbing a noose is not a visual that should never be in SH2. He's not suicidal he's delusional!

Bloober is like a living embodiment of Garth Marenghi but not funny.

It's a shot that came from the original...

James has to pull the noose in the prison to open the trap door to jump down through.

C'mon now you're trying to rip apart a goddman reveal trailer to express your doomerism about the remake based on nothing but bias.

It's amazing to me how I can talk about this dev with anyone outside of twitter and SA and have a normal conversation, 'oh yeah that's a cool game' or ,naw I haven't played that one' but in these spaces Bloober is a disgrace that's a waste of the AA horror space.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 20, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're bad sorry.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think people are incorrect in having negative first impressions about a dev with a mixed track record. Literally no one would be defending this if it was like Quantic Dream but The Medium and Layers of Fear 2 and to a lesser extent Blair Witch burned a lot of people.

Like I'm hype about Townfall and F but Bloober has a lot of baggage to get over with the general audience.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Laura totally scuppers James’s timeline by the time you reach the hotel but it kind of disappears into the background weirdness by then

Yeah, I think in all that weirdness I never connected Laura's age and her birthday mentioned in the letter. And having mostly read about the Rebirth ending, didn't know her body was visible in the boat. Both point to her dying recently, and him having brought the body along and forgotten on the way. If that's the interpretation they are going with, Jame's being more emotional and jittery could work. Though, you could also argue that Jame's numbed emotional state from the original could be a result of still being emotionally exhausted from Mary's long illness.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

al-azad posted:

I don't think people are incorrect in having negative first impressions about a dev with a mixed track record. Literally no one would be defending this if it was like Quantic Dream but The Medium and Layers of Fear 2 and to a lesser extent Blair Witch burned a lot of people.

Like I'm hype about Townfall and F but Bloober has a lot of baggage to get over with the general audience.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with negative first impressions. Yeah Medium and LoF2 were absolutely not good as a whole (I will go to bat for the visual artists of the games) though I guess it's the Silent Hill fanbase as a whole switching things to be insistantly negative about that bugs me, and I don't want to have years just hearing 'its gonna suck' accompanied by the jerma clip from layers of fear. It's an easy and lazy critique.

E: I'm not saying yours was lazy, just to be clear

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 20, 2022

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Perhaps being a Silent Hill fan to a historic franchise with the worst caretaker is punishment on its own. We all deserve our own Red-and-Orange Pyramid Thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

Perhaps being a Silent Hill fan to a historic franchise with the worst caretaker is punishment on its own. We all deserve our own Red-and-Orange Pyramid Thing.

If you are American you got that back in 2016

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

ImpAtom posted:

If you are American you got that back in 2016

It was close, but that thing wasn't really shaped like a pyramid. It didn't have any real defined angles honestly. What we got was more of an Insane Cancer.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

al-azad posted:

:smith: but imagine he is james

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Bloober has no subtlety, like James grabbing a noose is not a visual that should never be in SH2. He's not suicidal he's delusional!

Bloober is like a living embodiment of Garth Marenghi but not funny.

Have you ever played silent hill 2?

That noose is part of a puzzle you encounter during the game. He also encounters it further into the game
So he’s probably miserable at that point.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

al-azad posted:

You've also just described Hellraiser fans. Ironic that the series about suffering make their fans suffer so :v:

I don't have much hope for Bloober SH2 remake but I also just don't have it in me to be hyped or mad about a video game anymore. If it sucks that's unfortunate but I don't don't have a PS5 so if it does suck, I'm not missing out and if it's good, I have to wait for the Xbox port.

Townfall and F have my attention more than the 2 remake because at least they're new SH games. What little they've said about Ascension makes it sound like it's probably not for me, and that's fine.

Honestly I'm looking forward to the new movie more than the games. I really like the original SH movie so having the original director come back to tackle the SH2 adaptation sounds pretty sweet.

But I also don't trust Konami until the product is in my hands/on my machine to be played

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Silent hill ascension is not a game it’s just an interactive event. People should stop throwing it in with the actual 3 game announcements

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can forgive the things a trailer might imply because a trailer is specifically a very doctored piece of material designed to evoke least common denominator emotions in most cases. It's not a question of "is this proof those hacks are gonna ruin it" and more "so here's an idea of what the game is about from a laser focused marketing crew and some devs staging renders of 2 second video clips."

Like give me a combat preview where we see James walk around a place for two minutes and somebody with a controller hits the melee button, I'm not really worried that maybe the combat sucks because they did a staged action shot of James hitting a Nurse with a pipe. I also don't think you can knock 'em for showing Pyramid Head in a SH2 Remake Hype Trailer. If you know about SH2 you maybe knew, 20 years in advance, what the deal is. If you legitimately don't know you're just gonna think "ah cool monster wonder if he's the Mr X." Of course it'd be very modern day remake hell to just turn SH2 into a RE2R rehash... :v:

And Team Bloober, oh no, but eh. I need some real content and meat to tear into to get worried about something.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
My friend is one of the leading members of No Code, who are making Townfall. I went to their studio to playtest Observation when it was being made. They've been sitting on the Silent Hill license news for ages and have been bursting to tell people.

I was speaking to him just there and he said that there is a lot hidden in the Townfall teaser, especially for people handy with spectrographs and photoshop. I'm not and I don't know what they've hidden, be he says he's excited to see if/when people start to find stuff. He gave me permission to post this here in case anyone wanted to go looking.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

AlMac posted:

My friend is one of the leading members of No Code, who are making Townfall. I went to their studio to playtest Observation when it was being made. They've been sitting on the Silent Hill license news for ages and have been bursting to tell people.

I was speaking to him just there and he said that there is a lot hidden in the Townfall teaser, especially for people handy with spectrographs and photoshop. I'm not and I don't know what they've hidden, be he says he's excited to see if/when people start to find stuff. He gave me permission to post this here in case anyone wanted to go looking.

gently caress I'm awful at that stuff too, if you see somewhere people diving in shoot a link! Townfall is the release I'm most excited about!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Saw some speculation for possible ties to existing Silent Hill mythos from f

https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/God posted:

Xuchilbara means "flower spear" in Aztec, and in the Aztec culture, flowers are seen as symbols of rebirth and resurrection, while a spear has violent connotations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AlMac posted:

Okay but if I have to brighten up a dark screenshot to see a spooky face I'm filing a complaint.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

Playing Silent Hill 1 for the first time on Steam Deck and this game loving whips. I'm a big fan of Silent Hill 2, and I played Silent Hill 3 for the first time in 2020 around this time of year. SH1 is so grimy, and the atmosphere is just unmatched. Currently working my way through the 2nd half of Midwich. I was on the complete wrong track for the piano puzzle, I'm glad I finally looked up some hints because I think I would have been eternally stuck in that music room.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Netrunner posted:

Playing Silent Hill 1 for the first time on Steam Deck and this game loving whips. I'm a big fan of Silent Hill 2, and I played Silent Hill 3 for the first time in 2020 around this time of year. SH1 is so grimy, and the atmosphere is just unmatched. Currently working my way through the 2nd half of Midwich. I was on the complete wrong track for the piano puzzle, I'm glad I finally looked up some hints because I think I would have been eternally stuck in that music room.

I waited for the strategy guide to come out on how to solve the piano cause I felt so dumb, I tried to learn how to play a piano to figure it out, then I learned you just hit the keys that don't play...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

SH3’s bad ending is extremely difficult to get even if you kill everything you see, since there’s a handful of extra steps like the answer you give in the confession booth

better than way, silencing the ghoulies in these games shouldn’t be discouraged

They look like ghoulies to you?

Also I answered the women in the confession booth because I'm unthinkingly nice.

I still didn't get the bad ending.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
BloodBourne Presentation INCOMING

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-tweeting-about-bloodborne.645603/

Noob Saibot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 20, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

NikkolasKing posted:

They look like ghoulies to you?

Also I answered the women in the confession booth because I'm unthinkingly nice.

I still didn't get the bad ending.

You can't get the bad ending the first time through (not sure if you mentioned this)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Diabetic posted:

I waited for the strategy guide to come out on how to solve the piano cause I felt so dumb, I tried to learn how to play a piano to figure it out, then I learned you just hit the keys that don't play...

I had to write down the poem in shorthand to keep it straight, but I didn't have any issues with this puzzle when I was 12. It's a memorable one, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Morpheus posted:

You can't get the bad ending the first time through (not sure if you mentioned this)

I had forgotten this detail. My bad.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

AlMac posted:

Dusk caught wind of this and now has a link to the reddit thread for anyone else interested

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1583147322812542978?t=GaI-xs0Tksfn743Sryf_dA&s=19

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
We all know the real reason Bloober Team is making SH2 third-person over the shoulder: so they can do that trick where you look at something, turn around, then look at it again and it’s RIGHT BEHIND YOU or some poo poo. I expect to see that about once per 5 minutes of gameplay.

I think it’ll all come down to how closely Konami will be working with Bloober. If Konami is keeping up and giving them guidelines on what they can and can’t do with the story, then it should be fine. If not then lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ah yes Konami, the publisher known for their tight and judicious control over their IPs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Who restructured in 2017. We really can't know what new Konami is like until some games come out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It has been 15 years but I just memory wiped everything in the prison that wasn't invisible moaning monster because that was the scariest thing in the whole game, Pyramid Head be damned. Just completely froze in place for 10 minutes with gun raised waiting for something to come into sight.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Knowing it's bloober, is already reason enough to be highly doubtful of the remakes quality.

Of course i hope it's good, one of my all time favorite games and all. But just very hard not to see them ruin a lot of what made the original so special.

Townfall (what is that name lol) is probably the one most likely to be good.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestonJew posted:

We all know the real reason Bloober Team is making SH2 third-person over the shoulder: so they can do that trick where you look at something, turn around, then look at it again and it’s RIGHT BEHIND YOU or some poo poo. I expect to see that about once per 5 minutes of gameplay.

I think it’ll all come down to how closely Konami will be working with Bloober. If Konami is keeping up and giving them guidelines on what they can and can’t do with the story, then it should be fine. If not then lol

I trust bloober more than Konami lol

Konami just sees the resident evil remakes sales numbers and just wants a clone of that

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Who restructured in 2017. We really can't know what new Konami is like until some games come out.

People keep saying that but the restructuring actually happened last year and it just says they closed all their game divisions and dumped them into one big game business division. Also the executive that championed konamis move away from console game development is still there

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Noob Saibot posted:

Konami just sees the resident evil remakes sales numbers and just wants a clone of that

Hey I'll trust a publisher that makes good games with a profit motive over someone like Bloober. It's worse to do a hack job in pursuit of artistic vision than it is to do a decent job in the pursuit of sixty dollars you ess dee

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Noob Saibot posted:

So like when they made the first game in the series then

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Noob Saibot posted:

People keep saying that but the restructuring actually happened last year

https://www.konami.com/corporate/en/history/

Scroll down to Nov 2016. That's the restructure I'm talking about.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I am unbelievably hyped for Silent Hinamizawa.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I don't hate the way the town looks

I don't trust that they'll have any subtlety or restraint about much else. Unless they're going straight 1:1. But at that point, just rerelease the original? Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

You've also just described Hellraiser fans. Ironic that the series about suffering make their fans suffer so :v:

I don't have much hope for Bloober SH2 remake but I also just don't have it in me to be hyped or mad about a video game anymore. If it sucks that's unfortunate but I don't don't have a PS5 so if it does suck, I'm not missing out and if it's good, I have to wait for the Xbox port.

Townfall and F have my attention more than the 2 remake because at least they're new SH games. What little they've said about Ascension makes it sound like it's probably not for me, and that's fine.

Honestly I'm looking forward to the new movie more than the games. I really like the original SH movie so having the original director come back to tackle the SH2 adaptation sounds pretty sweet.

But I also don't trust Konami until the product is in my hands/on my machine to be played

Yeah, it says something about how the franchise has been handled that my reaction to the new Hellraiser reboot was "well, at least someone involved in this watched the other movies. That's new."