Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Bethesda is the most frustrating company. Every single time, there's tons of bugs, bad animations, boring main quests, random terrible design decisions, copy/paste dungeons...

It sounds like they made some progress on that last one, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Do you like power armor? Then here's three pro tips, from me to you.

1) A companion wearing power armor does not drain the power core.

2) A power core with 1/100 charge sells for the same amount as one with 100/100.

3) Remove the power core from armor you aren't using so enemies can't hop in.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I have found the perfect slice of pie, and I am never going to eat it no matter how desperate my situation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kimmalah posted:

If you haven't already, you can scrap sinks and toilets for ceramic. Or at least the busted ones laying around outside, I haven't tried the ones inside houses.

If you follow the story questline you'll get an opportunity to hoard a decent stash of ceramic when you go through Vault 114. Just grab everything in sight when you pass by the kitchen near the end.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

King Vidiot posted:

I have found the perfect slice of pie, and I am never going to eat it no matter how desperate my situation.

sugoi

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Funkmaster General posted:

Do you like power armor? Then here's three pro tips, from me to you.

2) A power core with 1/100 charge sells for the same amount as one with 100/100.

3) Remove the power core from armor you aren't using so enemies can't hop in.

How do I actually get my follower into a powerarmor suit?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Do settlements ever get attacked? So far I haven't seen any reason to go through the trouble or expense of setting up defenses.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Dunno about you guys, but this game feels less Fallout-y and more like The Road.

I think it helps I'm rolling with an Ushanka, Welders Goggles, and Drifter Outfit and Dogmeat.

The glow from the Laser Musket on my goggles as I pop heads in VATS is :krad: too. Very Futurepunk-ish.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Police Automaton posted:

This is my character, he punches things:

Kneel before Zod.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

King Vidiot posted:

How many times did you try?

titties
May 10, 2012

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Do settlements ever get attacked? So far I haven't seen any reason to go through the trouble or expense of setting up defenses.

I confirmed it like 5 posts ago

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I've gotten alerts about failing to defend settlements, but nothing actually seemed to happen to them.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Do your settlers drink/eat the stuff you put in your workbench? Because I've stored tons of dirty and purifired water in there, and now I notice that it's all gone.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sistergodiva posted:

How do I actually get my follower into a powerarmor suit?

Look at them, choose command, look at the armor, choose get in.

titties
May 10, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I've gotten alerts about failing to defend settlements, but nothing actually seemed to happen to them.

Mine is being shot to hell right now, i'm paused to tell you that they are killing my settlers pls send help

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Look at them, choose command, look at the armor, choose get in.

well that explains why you can find so many power armor frames

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

ShadowMar posted:

so i added this to the [General] section of Fallout.ini and my framerate hasn't dropped from 60 since then with no graphical loss

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
iNumHWThreads=8
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

check it out

This seemed to have made a massive improvement in how fast landscapes load when coming over a hill, can definitely see everything popping in at the same time instead of the sweep it used to do. I also doubled the particle amount limit to 1500.

Still only using 2 gigs of ram, what else can I turn the gently caress up? #turnup

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

titties posted:

I went to the drive-in to clean up the rest of the cars and see if scrapping the barrels in the death pool would either provide nuclear material or remove / lessen the insane rads you take from being there.

You didn't elaborate so I wanted to point out to the rest that yes, scraping the hazardous waste barrels give you nuclear materials, if you scrap all of them it also removes the source of radiation making the center of the settlement useful, fun tip, you can also build a water purifier in the now semi-fresh pond.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Broken Cog posted:

How many times did you try?

Only took me like four times, but I would've stayed there until the end of days until I got that pie. I mean look at it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
How do I murder the Diamond City Radio announcer?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

more friedman units posted:

Bethesda is the most frustrating company. Every single time, there's tons of bugs, bad animations, boring main quests, random terrible design decisions, copy/paste dungeons...

It sounds like they made some progress on that last one, I guess.

This was one of my favorite things about elder scrolls online

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

LumberingTroll posted:

You didn't elaborate so I wanted to point out to the rest that yes, scraping the hazardous waste barrels give you nuclear materials, if you scrap all of them it also removes the source of radiation making the center of the settlement useful, fun tip, you can also build a water purifier in the now semi-fresh pond.

You can build the purifier there even if it's radiated, still makes fresh water. But you still take rads for standing there of course.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Case in point:

I didn't give a poo poo about energy weapons in Fallout 3, but they look so pretty and bad-rear end in this game I'm quickly changing my mind about them. :swoon: The :f5: to charge/load/crank up your shot is a pretty sweet thought on Bethesda's part, so kudos to them for that.

[e]: I dunno why the screencapture in-game makes pictures turn out blurrier than they should be, though. :(

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

This was one of my favorite things about elder scrolls online

whatever eso is it isn't a bethesda game

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i found what appears to be a fully functional vault full of normal people.

i can't imagine the horrors inside waiting for me.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Dezztroy posted:

Do your settlers drink/eat the stuff you put in your workbench? Because I've stored tons of dirty and purifired water in there, and now I notice that it's all gone.

Don't do what I did and expect all the crafting storages to be connect. I left so much stuff in random dungeons before I realized. At least I know where to go for stuff now but gently caress backtracking.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I got lazy and settled on a Walter White look-a-like named Highfivesenberger after hours of failing to make a reasonable fascimile of myself because I'm one of those lame-o's that always tries (and fails) to do that, but I am still legit super impressed by the character creator in this. I've spent 3 times and much time dicking around with it as I have playing the actual game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Stunt Rock posted:

I got lazy and settled on a Walter White look-a-like named Highfivesenberger after hours of failing to make a reasonable fascimile of myself because I'm one of those lame-o's that always tries (and fails) to do that, but I am still legit super impressed by the character creator in this. I've spent 3 times and much time dicking around with it as I have playing the actual game.

Skyrim came close, but this is the first Bethesda game where it didn't take me forever to make a character face that didn't look terrifying or like a pile of dough.

titties
May 10, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

I didn't elaborate because I didn't get a chance to try before we were attacked.

The attack (or maybe an attack before that I didn't know about) cut my water production in half by breaking one of the pumps, they completely destroyed the crops, and might have been the reason for the disabled generator.

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
Anyone who is saying this game is bad or lazy can suck a gently caress this game is rad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Dunno about you guys, but this game feels less Fallout-y and more like The Road.

I think it helps I'm rolling with an Ushanka, Welders Goggles, and Drifter Outfit and Dogmeat.

The glow from the Laser Musket on my goggles as I pop heads in VATS is :krad: too. Very Futurepunk-ish.
I don't know that The Road is the last thing I'd compare Fallout 4 to, but I got whiplash from the end of this post.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
There's a dam/falls area near Sanctuary where the LOD textures are hosed. They are super-low res and I fell through a lot of them, so I had to guess where I could actually climb up stairs/etc. :psyduck:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Was listening to the radio and the dj announced the song "Right behind you baby" and said that, while the singer was not behind me, somebody may be so I should check. I checked behind me and there was a raider about to shoot me :eyepop:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

Don't do what I did and expect all the crafting storages to be connect. I left so much stuff in random dungeons before I realized. At least I know where to go for stuff now but gently caress backtracking.

Nah, I know the workbenches are separate which is why I haven't stored stuff anywhere other than Sanctuary. It seems like my water is all that's missing. I have plenty of water production, so they shouldn't be drinking my poo poo.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

How do you make them get in besides for paladin fuckface?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I came to the startling realization that Fallout4 is a post-apocalyptic hipster simulator. I wear a giant wristwatch and stupid glasses and gentrify neighborhoods while setting up community gardens and keeping its "historic look" in tact.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

i found what appears to be a fully functional vault full of normal people.

i can't imagine the horrors inside waiting for me.
Mr. House did nothing wrong in destroying Vault 21

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

raverrn posted:

How do you make them get in besides for paladin fuckface?

open their command menu and point at the specific power armor. you can tell them to get out by talking to them and choosing Talk > Exit Power Armor

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Dear Bethesda, please stop overusing Supermutants everywhere.

Also, I'm sort of feeling like 8 agility for sniper might have been a waste. I don't need the 'hold your breath' thing, and while +25% to vats head shots seems nice, as a sniper type I don't actually use vats for most of my shots. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fintilgin posted:

Dear Bethesda, please stop overusing Supermutants everywhere.

Also, I'm sort of feeling like 8 agility for sniper might have been a waste. I don't need the 'hold your breath' thing, and while +25% to vats head shots seems nice, as a sniper type I don't actually use vats for most of my shots. :(

Also that perk is in Perception anyway.

• Locked thread