Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tulip posted:

So wait

Life in K6BD is, explicitly, not an emergent property of chemicals, but a result of The Divine Flame.

Imo the magic aspect of this cosmology should be taken seriously but not completely literally. It's possible for humans to have simultaneously been created by Aesma loving around with the black flame and also to have independently arisen through chemistry in any of the 777,777 worlds (because that's the story the god told... or so the story goes).

It's just my take but I think this is what YISUN is getting at in the supplementary stories about existence being a lie. Your first assumption is that to be a lie means a thing is not true, but I think it's meant more in the sense of a lie being a story. It's not necessarily entirely factual, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss the whole thing out of hand as totally false or definitely 100% pure allegory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Anyway the point is aliens and freaks definitely exist and not everything fits into the neat little boxes laid out in the "rules" as told to us by some very biased characters.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I missed gloranthachat, nooooo, posts about Arkat lost like tears in rain...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's just my take but I think this is what YISUN is getting at in the supplementary stories about existence being a lie. Your first assumption is that to be a lie means a thing is not true, but I think it's meant more in the sense of a lie being a story. It's not necessarily entirely factual, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss the whole thing out of hand as totally false or definitely 100% pure allegory.

Yisun themself would probably tell you that nothing they say is true. Including that statement.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yisun themself would probably tell you that nothing they say is true. Including that statement.

Ceci n'est pas UN YIS.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best lies are true.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

nimby posted:

Ceci n'est pas UN YIS.

gently caress

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wrestlepig posted:

I missed gloranthachat, nooooo, posts about Arkat lost like tears in rain...

Arkat attacks Dorastor, a painting in the Temple of Mysteries in Ganbarri. Arkat is, of course, wearing his own heart on a neckalce of skulls. Nysalor sits in his castle, defended by Pelorian, broo, and walktapus.

Yes, Lunars will make propaganda where broos are calm and civilized. I know why Nysalor's halo can be read as "Moon" and "Chaos" but I don't know why Arkat's halo reads "Dragonewt"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tulip posted:

but I don't know why Arkat's halo reads "Dragonewt"

Arkat was loving weird.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

wiegieman posted:

Arkat was loving weird.

I mean yeah, he had his own heart torn out so that he could transubstantiate himself into a troll in order to do darkness-specific quests to be better at killing chaos demons. He was born during a cosmic calamity where the sun stopped in the sky that caused time to become unmoored.

That said the halo itself without the sword is Law, so maybe I'm just reading too much into it (don't do this never assume that you're reading too much into Arkat).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reach heaven through non-violence

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

I mean yeah, he had his own heart torn out so that he could transubstantiate himself into a troll in order to do darkness-specific quests to be better at killing chaos demons. He was born during a cosmic calamity where the sun stopped in the sky that caused time to become unmoored.

That said the halo itself without the sword is Law, so maybe I'm just reading too much into it (don't do this never assume that you're reading too much into Arkat).

Having only a shallow understanding of Gloranthan lore, isn't Arkat Gbaji who is also Nyasalor?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Valid contender, disqualified legitimately. He's fine.

Yeah, 10VG is perfectly fine. Probably gave a half-hearted effort trying to talk White Chain out of the fight, then spent the rest of the time hanging out with her, meditating, and talking strategy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Z the IVth posted:

Having only a shallow understanding of Gloranthan lore, isn't Arkat Gbaji who is also Nyasalor?

Arkat was, at some distant point, a Westerner who got extremely loving mad at Nysalor because Nysalor's followers had a habit of spreading plagues that only they could cure, as part of a tactic of convincing people that Nysalor, the one god not bound by time, was way cooler. Arkat did about a billion heroquests, slew Nysalor, retired, and ascended, leaving behind a Cult of Arkat and a massive influence on all future heroquests.

Nysalor was a God born inside of time, with the runes of Chaos, Light, and Mastery. He is currently still the Lunar god of Illumination, aka "knowing that reality is a bunch of bullshit that can be seen through and reshaped." It's...really kind of hard to say with certainty anything else. When Nysalor died, everything he built disappeared. There aren't even really records of what was so good about "The Good God's Time." The people who lived in its heartland, mostly Fire-worshipping regions, just kind of remember "it was really good" and as a kind of lost golden age. We do have records of them spreading plague, creating the Trollkin Curse, and the one place where any buildings survive that can be said to be from Nysalor's works is Dorastor, which is an absolute nightmarish hellscape for like 1000 years.

Arkat always, always referred to Nysalor as "Gbaji, the Deceiver," as a type of Chaos god. Nysalor's followers retored that no, Arkat is the real Gbaji. The evidence against Nysalor is, IMHO, pretty damming, notably the part where when he died even any specific memories of good deeds just washed away. The case against Arkat is not exactly nothing - Arkat was a serial cultist, joining different cultures and religions, becoming superlative at their great secrets and magics of war, and then leaving them to join new ones. Elfs, atheists, Storm-Tribes, and trolls being the most famous. Nobody, AFAIK, claims that Arkat and Nysalor are simultaneously Gbaji, though there is definitely a belief that Nysalor created Arkat, for what reason I have no goddamn clue.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Z the IVth posted:

Arkat fought Nysalor, and their respective cults both insist that the other one was Gbaji.

EDIT: Darn it, too late! But I've also heard the theory that they basically were both Gbaji because they got so wrapped up in each other that they effectively became one being destined to murder itself.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 30, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Arkat's thing was working extremely hard to reconcile different belief structures in order to find the deeper truths they agreed on so that he could follow many of them honestly.

Nysalor said No, it's all bullshit, take whatever you want and gently caress everybody else because reality is fake and nothing matters except your own personal power.

Arkat destroyed Nysalor so utterly that he doesn't just not exist in the world, he can't, so Chaos returned in the form of the Red Goddess instead. The pattern of the transgressor (Sedenya and her worshippers) amassing power and the reconciler (Argrath and his followers) rising to meet them is a repeating one in Glorantha.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I don't want to interrupt glorantha chat for something this ridiculous but I can't unsee Incubus's unnecessarily prominent package in the second to last panel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

He’s David Bowie as gently caress, so that’s on brand

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
In an extremely k6bd move, Arkat was illuminated just like Nysalor and probably agreed with the fundamental nature of the universe but warred against Nysalor anyway because it was wrong. Then he became a farmer for a while before apotheosizing, and is now worshipped in various contradictory ways by a bunch of cult-infested city states with politics so Byzantine there was a political scandal when two leaders got married and they actually loved each other.

Also now that you mention it it’s probably weirder that we couldn’t see incubus’s dick before

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

If you look real close you can see Incubus in every panel he appears in.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I don't want to interrupt glorantha chat for something this ridiculous but I can't unsee Incubus's unnecessarily prominent package in the second to last panel.

He's the compensating demiurge you know he's gotta stuff and call attention to it

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Paramemetic posted:

He's the compensating demiurge you know he's gotta stuff and call attention to it

An exceptionally poor swordsman.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tulip posted:

Uh excuse me, arkat was a troll all along who pretended to be a human, we know this because when he went through the turn-into-a-troll ritual he didn't even scream in pain once
:trollsay:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wrestlepig posted:

In an extremely k6bd move, Arkat was illuminated just like Nysalor and probably agreed with the fundamental nature of the universe but warred against Nysalor anyway because it was wrong. Then he became a farmer for a while before apotheosizing, and is now worshipped in various contradictory ways by a bunch of cult-infested city states with politics so Byzantine there was a political scandal when two leaders got married and they actually loved each other.

Yeah Arkat is probably the best part of Glorantha to think about w/r/t K6BD. Alison, arguably, is walking in Arkat's footsteps: she is not trying to fix or build, she is trying to crush and destroy a bad form of order. She is on a journey to go through several layers of disparate skillsets - a barista who defeats a great challenger with drinking, a human learning angelic fists and demonic magics, all the while learning from a god (well, demiurge) how to wield even higher powers.

The more recent instance of this is Harrek the Berserk, a bear-man of incredible violence. He committed his first murder by age seven. After he killed one of the incarnations of Moon, he returned to his own people and during a great holy ritual he slew his own ancestral god, the White Bear, and then bound it in its own skin and bound that skin to his skin. Effectively skin-suiting a god. One of his closest friends is Argrath, a hero of the storm people; the first thing that happened when they met was they argued, the second was that Harrek killed Argrath and threw him into the sea, where he was healed, climbed on one of Harrek's ships, and killed Harrek's second in command for a job. Harrek is an uncontrollable mass murderer with the power of a god literally at his back, and he has never let a poor man starve.

reignonyourparade posted:

Uh excuse me, arkat was a troll all along who pretended to be a human, we know this because when he went through the turn-into-a-troll ritual he didn't even scream in pain once
:trollsay:

It's good to meet a trollscholar.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tulip posted:

The more recent instance of this is Harrek the Berserk, a bear-man of incredible violence. He committed his first murder by age seven. After he killed one of the incarnations of Moon, he returned to his own people and during a great holy ritual he slew his own ancestral god, the White Bear, and then bound it in its own skin and bound that skin to his skin. Effectively skin-suiting a god. One of his closest friends is Argrath, a hero of the storm people; the first thing that happened when they met was they argued, the second was that Harrek killed Argrath and threw him into the sea, where he was healed, climbed on one of Harrek's ships, and killed Harrek's second in command for a job. Harrek is an uncontrollable mass murderer with the power of a god literally at his back, and he has never let a poor man starve.

he's, you know, this guy:

seen here ripping a kraken (and the guy dumb enough to summon it) apart

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 1, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Argrath is the new incarnation of Arkat, not Harrek. Harrek is powerful almost beyond measure and is certainly the world's greatest killer, and he despises evil in his own way, but he doesn't bring a new tradition the way Argrath does.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The only time his package has been anything less than completely unnecessary were in Maya's flashbacks of him as a child.

Forget the middle army or the whole dream demon thing, this is his real Brand.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The one that will become the Argrath must be stopped. Because they are ultimately not Arkat. Arkat understood and, having committed vast crimes and terrible miracles, retired. He did what no other being could do and made a place for himself in a world that, whilst changed, remained.

Argrath will not allow what has changed to remain and will not accept that the Red Moon and himself share similarities. He will succeed not by Synthesis but through utter ruination. Albeit the Red Moon deserves it, because who doesn't want to kick the ever loving poo poo out of the Romans, but Argrath will make no real distinction and will not meet with the moon goddess as Arkat did with Nysalor.

I also love that Orlanth and Arkat both have something similar in themselves. They both make mistakes and try to fix them and, at the end, choose to step back a bit and let others come to the fore.

On to K6BD chat, but I would love to see Voss show up behind Incubus and scare the ever loving gently caress out of him.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Isn't Voss the bottled water with the cylinder container? I guess Incubus *is* a thirsty boi

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Isn't Voss the bottled water with the cylinder container? I guess Incubus *is* a thirsty boi

Zoss, sorry got my Kings confused!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
e: gently caress, didn't even think about how this would come across. Really my bad.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 1, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

http://www.princeofsartar.com/comic/introduction-chapter-1/

Here we go. That is the start of it.

It finishes midway through, but it still is very fun while it lasts!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

http://www.princeofsartar.com/comic/introduction-chapter-1/

Here we go. That is the start of it.

It finishes midway through, but it still is very fun while it lasts!

yeah apparently it was basically a side project for one of the main writers and one of their official artists and they get too busy with the main work to keep doing it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm afraid to google what glorantha is because every one of the posts about it in this thread is complete nonsense to me, like lorem ipsum but with made up words

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm afraid to google what glorantha is because every one of the posts about it in this thread is complete nonsense to me, like lorem ipsum but with made up words

You accidentally asked the question with the weirdest answer, but instead of giving an honest and incomprehensible answer I'll just give you a link to a fun LP:

https://lparchive.org/King-of-Dragon-Pass/

This game is the most common introduction people have, and I think this LP is specifically most goon's introduction.

wiegieman posted:

Argrath is the new incarnation of Arkat, not Harrek. Harrek is powerful almost beyond measure and is certainly the world's greatest killer, and he despises evil in his own way, but he doesn't bring a new tradition the way Argrath does.

OK good point. I'm actually a little half-cocked on some of the big hero parts, so I appreciate the correction.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ain't arkat one of them homestucks

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Cowcaster posted:

ain't arkat one of them homestucks

Nah you're thinking of Karnak

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, I wonder if administrative assistant Incubus has a bulge hidden underneath that miniskirt.

I'm sure this post wasn't made with bad intentions but it's really not good. Please dial back whatever this is.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

shirts and skins posted:

Nah you're thinking of Karnak

No, no, no, Karnak is an ancient Egyptian temple complex, the homestuck character is Arhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Begemot posted:

No, no, no, Karnak is an ancient Egyptian temple complex, the homestuck character is Arhat.

No no, that's someone who has achieved Nirvana. You're thinking of Carats.