Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

No one outside of legitimately unwell human beings would disagree with this. Sonic 1-3 aren't trash fires, they had good mechanical identities of their own, but they were as much about style as substance-- that's why Nintendo's clap back to Sonic was ultimately Donkey Kong Country, while Mario went and did his own thing. Sonic Mania was the first time anyone put enough oomph behind the design to really make it a good game.

Sonic Mania's levels are a little too long though. Like 10-20% off of each one would be perfect. And Flying Battery still sucks.

You had me until flying battery. Fb is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flying Battery is 50% doing pole animations and slow platforming over death pits.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I played Everybodys Gone to the Rapture (for about 20 minutes) last night, it was kind of quaint and cool, walking around a fictioius Shropshire vilage but you'd have to be really compelled by the story to give a poo poo past that 20 minute novelty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Flying Battery theme song would totally fit for a Bond theme.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

veni veni veni posted:

I read the XCOM devs played Mario Rabbids and realized some of their shortcomings. I hope if XCOM 3 is a thing they manage to incentivize playing aggressively the way MR does, because it's way more fun than turtling around in XCOM. I prefer everything else about XCOM though. I think they need to work on it being an overall more tactically satisfying experience.

i play xcom extremely aggro and i will never ironman it but i do play every mission bronzeman, if i want a restart i have to do it from the top

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My dark horse hope slightly reinforced today is an XCOM rep for Smash.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I played Everybodys Gone to the Rapture (for about 20 minutes) last night, it was kind of quaint and cool, walking around a fictioius Shropshire vilage but you'd have to be really compelled by the story to give a poo poo past that 20 minute novelty.

That game is the ultimate walking simulator. When it released you couldn't even run and even when they added running it was still slow as hell.
Why yes, I really do want to trundle around in some boring as hell British as gently caress place to figure out where everyone else has pissed off too. What an utter and complete pretentious failure.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah it was pretty wank, maybe the guy who designed it really wanted to make films? What a pointless game.

The thing is its not like a red dead 2 or a Witcher 3 where i keep telling myself ill go back to them one day before finding a flaw that puts me off for another 6 months. Its just full on "haha this game is utter wank, why would anyone play this, get off my hard drive".

Everbodys gone to the rapture is the sort of bland nonsense drivel that everyone should load up once a year to remind themselves how bland some games are. God its making me mad just thinking about it

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 17, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I really liked EGTTR, but it was way more "walking through a series of narrated exhibits" than an actual game. Which I enjoy!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is unpopular apparently, but walking simulators clearly have a real niche in the gaming community and it's a good thing to encourage them, even if sometimes they bore me like KR0.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

This is unpopular apparently, but walking simulators clearly have a real niche in the gaming community and it's a good thing to encourage them, even if sometimes they bore me like KR0.

:emptyquote:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I loved Bloodborne, just bought dark souls 1, 2 and 3

:getin:

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Modern game UIs and menus are way too bloated and busy looking.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ChazTurbo posted:

the only way I could see someone thinking this is if they were born well after the 90s

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

the only way I could see someone thinking this is if they were born well after the 90s
:hmmyes:

Pictured: smart, streamlined design

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Maybe it's the two titles my friends made me try recently (division 2 and fort bort) but the menus felt be clunky and bloated to me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They probably aren't amazing, this is true. I remember when The Witcher 2 came out and people were pre-emptively defending the very slow UI and animations with "it's immersive and aids in the role-playing experience."

Meanwhile I straight-up stopped an otherwise great game (Chroma Squad) because despite having a snappy menu system it required way too much back-and-forth between inventories when shopping for equipment and the micromanagement got tedious fast.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

all that extra poo poo filled the screen edge because the lovely computers of the time couldn't handle putting the main graphics at full screen resolution

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

This all reminded me of the Fable 3 "sanctuary", where instead of a menu screen your character would be teleported to a big house and you'd have to walk around to differently-themed rooms to change your gear or clothing or check your stats, etc. An interesting thought but pretty tedious in practice. The Fable series had a lot of stuff like that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Everquest had such good graphics in that reduced gameplay space though

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WTB Fungi Tunic

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

I'm the massive codpiece.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm the cyborg dong

What codpiece are you talking about

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

signalnoise posted:

I'm the cyborg dong

What codpiece are you talking about

Probably what you think the cyborg dong is, the phallic part of the armor.

Google armor codpiece lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ChazTurbo posted:

I'm a huge fan of removing UIs when the game allows you to. I think you'd surprise yourself by how little you need it once you've learned the game adequately, and games just look so much more beautiful and immersive without them

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s tons of classic games and franchises that have come out in the last decade. NuXCOM, Spec Ops The Line, Prey, Dishonored, NuDoom, Deserts of Kharak, Disco Elysium, so on and so forth. Not to mention VR coming into its own as something actually worth bothering with.

Spec Ops the Line was a lovely budget Gears of War with severe jank at the time.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I remember being a poor middle schooler when Diablo 1 came out, and had to decide between weed or Diablo. I’d been loving dreaming about Diablo and what it was gonna be like for weeks maybe months, so no way in hell was I missing that. So I ended up stealing it from Kmart, went and bought weed, and the opening town music in that game is one of the fondest memories of my childhood. I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion but y’all were talkin Diablo and memories came flooding back.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If FFXV had a few more years in dev, it could have been the best game ever made. Of course, the problem is that their scope was stupidly ambitious and they needed more like 15 years instead of the 10 they got.

Hence my pitch: FFXV-2. But instead of doing a wacky spinoff, use the first game as a base to:

1) Keep the world roughly as it is (geography/towns) and flesh it out with random poo poo to discover ala Breath of the Wild, and work to bring the existing cities to life. Have the entire thing take place in the Regalia section of the game.

2) No motels EVER. 100% camping, 100% of the time. Having 300% bonus experience multipliers just for staying at a specific inn is loving idiotic and goes against the whole purpose of the game, which should be: vaguely homoerotic camping with your bros, and then doing cool story stuff (with your bros).

2) Have a lot more story quests and integrate better quest narratives.

3) Fix the weird pacing issues that plague the latter 75% of the game. Expand the towns, make a better and much longer narrative about them, and integrate them tightly into the story. Keep dynamic fetch/kill quests but make the monsters more complex a la Monster Hunter. This alone might be enough to solve many of the core pacing issues. They clearly intended to do this in the original game, given the hunt system and how cool some of the initial hunts are, but then they ran out of time (like everything else).

4) Redo the entire story but keep everything about the main bros. They're just doing new things now, and the old story never happened in this new version of the world.

5) Retool the combat to flow more like DMCV. This is another "they literally tried to do this exact thing but ran out of time" situation.

I'm talking a ton of poo poo on FFXV but honestly it's a loving amazing game. It was rushed, and even now has a ton of poo poo wrong with it, but if you spent 3-5 years polishing the existing framework and replacing a good chunk of the story, there is something amazing hidden there.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

I'm fine with them if they give at least a few things to consider in the vein of an adventure game or an immersive sim. The extremely basic theme park rides though, I won't shed any tears if they wither away.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Spec Ops the Line was a lovely budget Gears of War with severe jank at the time.

Nah it was legit fun and good and had a killer soundtrack with The Black Angels and Mogwai

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
BioShock Infinite was a really good game and all the people on here who have a seething hatred for it seem to love playing games to completion that they actively hate

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Video game menus and UI are basically almost entirely garbage and the best games are ones with gameplay that doesn't actually require you to use them.

The real annoying part is they keep finding new ways for the UI to be poo poo. Like modern shooters where the menu takes up a tiny part of the full HD screen, and with the flavour text given in auto-scrolling text dumps in a tiny box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

BioShock Infinite was a really good game and all the people on here who have a seething hatred for it seem to love playing games to completion that they actively hate

Nah. I def don't hate it and the first hour or so is great but the encounter design is really tepid and the plot is babytown frolics

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I've never got this viewpoint, which quite common. imo it's a solid competent shooter with some really nice graphical touches and good sound design. I played through it twice and enjoyed both times (final slog up the hill excepted).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel that a lot of people on SA are overrating Nier: Automata. It's not a bad game but it's a complete mess of story-telling, gameplay, and pretty much everything other than the music, which is quite nice. Usually.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lurker2006 posted:

I'm fine with them if they give at least a few things to consider in the vein of an adventure game or an immersive sim. The extremely basic theme park rides though, I won't shed any tears if they wither away.

You know as well as I do that this sounds like a bad YouTube video, only without generic trailer footage interspersed with bad narration to give your point the air of legitimate grievance.

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel that a lot of people on SA are overrating Nier: Automata. It's not a bad game but it's a complete mess of story-telling, gameplay, and pretty much everything other than the music, which is quite nice. Usually.

Nier: Automata honestly surprised me with how many people it caught on with. It looks... fine I guess. It looks like anime waifu poo poo from a distance with a glaze of Kojima-style pretension about transhumanism to give the whole thing an air of depth, but it's got a lot of polish and content and gamers consistently prize those two options over a lot of other things.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You couldn't sum up my experience on the something awful games forum more than with the games BioShock Infinite and nier automata. People here love to crucify BioShock as utter garbage and then hold up Nier is a genre defining masterpiece. They are both good games! BioShock isn't trash, Nier is full of flaws.

One thing I'll say about here as compared to say reddit though is that there seems to be a small amount of people that share my view on breath of the wild being kinda boring.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You couldn't sum up my experience on the something awful games forum more than with the games BioShock Infinite and nier automata. People here love to crucify BioShock as utter garbage and then hold up Nier is a genre defining masterpiece. They are both good games! BioShock isn't trash, Nier is full of flaws.

One thing I'll say about here as compared to say reddit though is that there seems to be a small amount of people that share my view on breath of the wild being kinda boring.

BotW is boring. It's barely a Zelda game. It shines in some ways but is pretty bad in many others. Kinda like Nier.

And Bioshock 3 is trash.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Automata is definitely overrated but when it's good, it's real fuckin good

Would have been a much better game if there was way less combat. Like just the boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
...or w/out the half-assed shmup sections. Or the hacking mini-games. Or the barriers everywhere. Or the poor platforming.