Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So Arise kinda peaks at the first fire boss lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Y'all don't want to admit it but this is what peak Arise gameplay looks like.

Okay maybe I'm being too harsh on the game.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Azubah posted:

So Arise kinda peaks at the first fire boss lol

I dunno, I'd say it personally peaked at Dohalim's chapter and kinda evens out/has some slight dips until the end of the Crown Contest

Then it just kinda starts freefalling

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I'd say everything up through the third lord is actually pretty good, some perfectly fine Tales-ing there, things start to get pretty stupid with lords four and five, and then post crown contest "twist" the whole thing just loving implodes. Not just from a story but also a gameplay perspective: the fourth lord's area is right about where the devs clearly started running out of time/ideas/both and start throwing semi-degraded reused bosses at you over and over which grinds the already fairly tedious dungeon crawling to an absolute slog.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think what gets me about Arise is the skits just didn't really endear me to the cast very well. Like even Zestiria had good skits and that game's Zestiria.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Arise's best skits are all hugely backloaded. The party fully embraces being a bunch of goofballs in the near endgame/postgame content skits, it just takes forever to get there though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Raxivace posted:

I think what gets me about Arise is the skits just didn't really endear me to the cast very well. Like even Zestiria had good skits and that game's Zestiria.

Zestiria also has Lailah (funny), Edna (funny) Mik (hilarious), and Sorey (an endearingly dorky, probably-gay protagonist!)

Arise has........ Dohalim. and that's about it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I have to give credit to Kisara for channeling enough Mom Energy to create a gigantic Mom Spirit Bomb

And I guess she also really liked to fish

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also there was her weird armor that only covers her front half because she never shows her back to the enemy or whatever.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm still annoyed that they didn't put multiplayer in arise

I realize I'm probably one of the handful of people that used it, but my wife and I have played basically every tales game together, at least partially, in co-op since vesperia. Even played abyss in co-op

Sucked not being able to do that in arise on top of the other problems it had

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The most fun I had with the DLC was seeing the mods that exist now (I think the arte canceler came out after I beat it initially), one of them being a multiplayer mod that I didn't actually get to test.

I'd say it stinks that both Arise and the Trials of Mana remake decided around the same time they were good with not adding multiplayer but also realistically I was never going to use that feature.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
drat, looking at the posts in this thread it sucks that the Arise DLC was a big load of nothing, was really hoping It was Like the graces F expantion that, besides being really thoughtful to the story they wanted to tell, also expanded the battle system in the main Game

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I realize I'm probably one of the handful of people that used it, but my wife and I have played basically every tales game together, at least partially, in co-op since vesperia. Even played abyss in co-op

I also mostly played Tales with my brother, sucks that the last multiplayer Tales was Zestiria. Sucks a lot since that one did it's best to gently caress over coop and the only reason it ended up alright was because there where exactly two of us playing.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Like, I,m probably a big exception in that most of my playtime with this series has been co-op. I've played all but Berseria and Arise that way which is strange since I really love my nostalgic memories a lot but Berseria is still is still my favorito Tales overall.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Berseria has co-op though?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Berseria was really fun co-op

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yeah berseria's coop worked great, that's how we played the game. The only weird part was the swapping stuff was a little awkward with two people iirc, but my wife doesn't really play a lot of action games so I handled most of that and she just focused on her character

Fingers crossed it comes back for the next game because it's one niche that to my knowledge no other RPG does. Outside of notable exceptions like bg3 and DOS 1&2

they want shady
May 11, 2013

wateyad posted:

Berseria has co-op though?

Oh poo poo, really? That's due for another playthrough then. Might try to rope in some friends for it, because for all its faults Arise did get people who've mostly never heard of Tales to try the series.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

they want shady posted:

Oh poo poo, really? That's due for another playthrough then. Might try to rope in some friends for it, because for all its faults Arise did get people who've mostly never heard of Tales to try the series.

Yeah, it works pretty great!

Only thing that's weird is (iirc) that swapping people in and out during combat is shared

Edit: oh, I literally posted that the post before, whoops :v:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Same here, my wife and I played through nearly every PS3 era onwards Tales game co-op.

Even had a old copy of the original PS3 Vesperia that I used the translation patch for instead of the HD remake.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished the Arise DLC on this here Eve of Christmas.

This might be too generous but its the most 6/10 experience I've had in a while. I do think there's an okay story buried in here with all the Nazamil stuff and some of the social struggles the Arise world faces after the base game, but so much mechanically/gameplay-wise is reused from the base game that the $30 price tag is pretty hard to justify... Especially when compared to other major DLC's this year like XB3 Future Redeemed or RE4 Separate Ways.

I guess I don't regret playing this exactly but it's hardly a huge recommend from me toward others either.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 25, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Finally played the Arise DLC. I actually liked it a lot but I agree that it's definitely not worth $30. I highly recommend it but I'd wait for a sale if I was you guys.

It does definitely feel like it started life as a full sequel but at some point it was decided to abort development and just ship what they'd already completed. I actually really enjoyed the main storyline but it feels rushed and seems like it could have been a very good story if fleshed out over the course of a full size game.

It also has some really interesting new mechanics for certain side quests but they feel like they were only halfway implemented. Speaking of side quests, there are way too many. The ratio of main quests to side quests is extremely unbalanced. Literally every time you complete part of the main quest, the game pops up five or six new side quests. If you're a completionist like me it's super obnoxious. Gotta put the main quest on hold for a shitload of time seemingly every few minutes.

What's also weird is that there's actually haptic feedback during a very small number of cutscenes but it's completely absent for the vast majority of the DLC. It's like they decided that haptic feedback would be a cool new feature to add but were forced to stop before they put much time into it. Yet another thing that makes it feel like the DLC's development was abruptly halted.

Overall I enjoyed it but keep in mind that I'm one of the weirdos who really likes the base game too. But as much as I like the DLC, even I think that $30 is way too much money for what you get. Wait for a sale.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
They also released a new "Classic Character" DLC costume pack that is insanely priced. If I remember correctly it's something like $18 for one costume per character. The Velvet costume for Shionne looks kinda cool mainly because it's her only costume with her hair (mostly) down. I am not a fan of her ponytail.

But one cool costume doesn't make the entire pack worth almost $20. Given the low amount of content you get in the $30 campaign, they should have made the costumes free and maybe unlocked by completing a certain quest or something.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lol, I wish. I remember when all of the costumes for a Tales game could be gotten just from in game sidequests....

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Peak Tales costumes unlocks was Vesperia with its requirements like "deal 60,000,000 damage with Rita" or "complete all boss secret missions in one playthrough and then randomly rest at a specific inn."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vesperia really loves making you do things about 100 times more than you would think it takes to unlock something

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the funniest ones are definitely the "literally cap out this arte's usage counter at 9999 to gain a small bonus effect" ones lol

this one's for you all on your 17th NG+

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Amppelix posted:

Vesperia really loves making you do things about 100 times more than you would think it takes to unlock something

I too remember Altered Artes.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Caphi posted:

I too remember Altered Artes.

It was a grind, but I did like the concept of Altered Artes. Loved that the cameo costumes from Vesperia PS3/Definitive each came with one of those as well.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Lord help you if you wish to do all of Judith’s stuff because you need like 200 uses per arte before you can even use more than half her artes in midair

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

OneDeadman posted:

Lord help you if you wish to do all of Judith’s stuff because you need like 200 uses per arte before you can even use more than half her artes in midair

Vesperia's radical design philosophy of giving each character unique and interesting game play mechanics that you can't actually use until you're like 40-50 hours into the game and have finally checked all the boxes to unlock them sure was something. It's crazy just how different of an experience NG+ is when you can just start with all of it ready to go from the start.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

50 hours is even extremely optimistic tbh. By that point if you've only played one character for the entire game you might be getting close to actually fully unlocking all their mechanics but forget it if you want to use everyone

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m playing through Tales of Arise for the first time. I’m sure it’s been asked a million times before, but how far am I if I just beat Vholran? I thought I was gonna been fairly close to the end but then for some reason they threw another title sequence at me with anime and poo poo and I am confused.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're like 2/3 done, at least? Probably more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

2nd op is about 60% in? youve got another 15ish hours probably

They basically graft an entire new plot out of thin air. It's very Tales of Vesperia.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Endorph posted:

2nd op is about 60% in? youve got another 15ish hours probably

They basically graft an entire new plot out of thin air. It's very Tales of Vesperia.

Yeah it does feel a lot like the end of Act II of Vesperia. Also lol that the woman in red was very clearly in the room in the cutscenes before fighting Vholran and just nobody acknowledged her. I’m sure that will make sense later?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah it does feel a lot like the end of Act II of Vesperia. Also lol that the woman in red was very clearly in the room in the cutscenes before fighting Vholran and just nobody acknowledged her. I’m sure that will make sense later?

Actually, yes. Even that plot point specifically.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually, yes. Even that plot point specifically.

Unfortunately, I got my wife Baldur’s Gate 3 for PS5 so it’s gonna take me a while to get through the rest of this game. The PS5 is never free lol I only got to play today because she was running errands.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I recall complaints about Arise’s bosses all having way too much HP and yes it’s very clearly true. Probably the most frustrating thing about the game is the boss fights that seem to go on forever. This extends to big zeugles both for quests and in the regular story. I tried to do the novice group challenge at the training grounds and the two two-headed zuegels at the end took me loving ages to beat, way longer than the target time. I can breeze through normal encounters but these types of enemies stump me. Is there any kind of strategy that makes killing them less of a chore?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

turn the game down to easy ever time a boss is coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You've probably already figured out that spamming Alphen's Reigning Slash does more damage than literally anything else, but uh

no, that's really it