Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Does AL have rewards tokens and stuff? Because part of the reason Encounters took off at my FLGS was the little 1 reroll/session cards and promo dice and things. It was a cool piggyback off of video game achievements(Rewards for healing or doing/taking a ton of damage/MVP moments) and gave people a reason to check out the D&D site.

When 5e came out they actually had to figure out a way to get the regular DMs to come back because if they were gonna buy modules they would just play at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

5: Right back atcha. Sure, the fireball blew up when it hit your wooden club, but the wizard was sure surprised when it hit his face too. Select another target in range of the ability. They are now a target of it, and have to save against it as usual. For AoE spells, you can target an area as with the original aoe.

Batting a fireball back at the caster is pretty cool, but the way you've evisioned it as "it blows you up and then rockets back and blows him up too" makes it something that needs to be in the game now.

"How do you do that, like a magic sword or an amulet or..."

"Practice".

"But you still get blown up!"

"Eh, hurts him more than it hurts me."

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 15, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DrSunshine posted:

Speaking more generally, because it comes as something of a surprise to me to see it said that D&D is experiencing a cultural renaissance (I was not aware of this!), why is it, do you suppose, that it's happening? Why are folks "rediscovering" D&D so to speak? What gives it cultural cachet now, out of all times?
Its pretty far along the internet age (so media/ideas are easily available), and the ADnD/2e crowd grew up and are telling everyone that this is a thing they enjoy - publicly. From fake fan/characters in The Big Bang Theory (which may not be great, but has a massive viewership), to movie-guy Vin Diesal, the entire Nerdist/Hardwick enterprise, Geek and Sundry launching Critical Role, Dan Harman doing a "watch us play" show, Lord of the Rings gaining an enormous fan base between the movies and the games, etc etc... people finally realized that its fun to tell stories with your friends (and quest stories have always drawn people in).

Implicit in this, the healthy looking/famous people have helped "normal" people understand that its not just a loser hobby for jobless unwashed basement people.

Thats a lot of words to get to: people have always liked storytelling and playing-pretend. The culture war against it moved on to other things.

(Things like Critical Role also show people that you dont need a computer or a math degree to play the loving game, as well as the "hanging out with friends" thing being the important part.)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah it's worth noting that 5e is 30 years removed from dumb poo poo like Mazes and Monsters. In the interim LotR swept the Oscars, literally everyone read/watched 7 stories about wizards and friendship and stuff like the MCU helped popularize a genre of "Super badasses that bro out in their off time".

D&D is good for anyone that wants more of that.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
I'm gearing up to run a 5e campaign set in Eberron. I found the UA article with some of the setting specific races, but they look like they're a little under powered compared to the PHB races. Has anybody run a game using those stats? Are they in need of adjustment?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Nancy_Noxious posted:

LOL, the only thing 5e is good at is being a steaming pile of manure (and regressing game design 15 years, gently caress).

Really, did you not read the fumble chat that happened in this very thread? Or the inane crap HORRIBLE 5e DMs often ask in the GM advice thread? If those people were playing in a half decent system, there would be no loving fumble chat, those TERRIBLE DMs would at least have a clue (by following Agenda, Principles and deploying Moves, or following any other kind of FUNCTIONAL INSTRUCTIONS, something 5e, and most D&D for that matter, lacks) and would not ask poo poo (like "I don't know how to make my players go along with my lovely railroad of a campaign that I've already written, help me thread!").

Mearls is not just a poo poo lord, HE OFFICIALLY ENDORSED BOTH KNOWN STALKER ZAK S. AND THE RPG PUNDIT. 5e fans forget that very quickly (and conveniently, it seems).

Mark Diaz Truman (from Magpie Games) just got supremely shat on by this forum because he wrote a loving blog post that was ambiguous about Zak. What people on this forum began doing? Cancelling pre-orders of Masks (which seems like will be an EXCELLENT supers game) and making GBS threads on Urban Shadows (great urban fantasy game in the style of the World of Darkness). Because THAT what this hobby needs, fewer people playing good games that already suffer because of a tiny playerbase!

Now, when Mearls makes one of the most detrimental games to RPGs in the last decades AND recruits two of the most toxic and regressive people in this hobby to promote it, though? The veredict seems to be "good and acessible".

Let's punish good designers and reward those that are working to destroy all the progress that has been achieved in the last 15 years of game design!

nice meltdown

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Nancy_Noxious posted:

LOL, the only thing 5e is good at is being a steaming pile of manure (and regressing game design 15 years, gently caress).

Really, did you not read the fumble chat that happened in this very thread? Or the inane crap HORRIBLE 5e DMs often ask in the GM advice thread? If those people were playing in a half decent system, there would be no loving fumble chat, those TERRIBLE DMs would at least have a clue (by following Agenda, Principles and deploying Moves, or following any other kind of FUNCTIONAL INSTRUCTIONS, something 5e, and most D&D for that matter, lacks) and would not ask poo poo (like "I don't know how to make my players go along with my lovely railroad of a campaign that I've already written, help me thread!").

Mearls is not just a poo poo lord, HE OFFICIALLY ENDORSED BOTH KNOWN STALKER ZAK S. AND THE RPG PUNDIT. 5e fans forget that very quickly (and conveniently, it seems).

Mark Diaz Truman (from Magpie Games) just got supremely shat on by this forum because he wrote a loving blog post that was ambiguous about Zak. What people on this forum began doing? Cancelling pre-orders of Masks (which seems like will be an EXCELLENT supers game) and making GBS threads on Urban Shadows (great urban fantasy game in the style of the World of Darkness). Because THAT what this hobby needs, fewer people playing good games that already suffer because of a tiny playerbase!

Now, when Mearls makes one of the most detrimental games to RPGs in the last decades AND recruits two of the most toxic and regressive people in this hobby to promote it, though? The veredict seems to be "good and acessible".

Let's punish good designers and reward those that are working to destroy all the progress that has been achieved in the last 15 years of game design!

Source your quote.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would say that Basic D&D (or its modern versions such as Basic Fantasy or Labyrinth Lord) still does a better job of being "simple and quick" than 5e does.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I would argue that simple is not good when it comes from lacking options and quick is not good when it comes from the fact that you are playing rocket tag.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

I'm gearing up to run a 5e campaign set in Eberron. I found the UA article with some of the setting specific races, but they look like they're a little under powered compared to the PHB races. Has anybody run a game using those stats? Are they in need of adjustment?

Check with @evilsanscarne on twitter for what they did in their 5e Eberron campaign.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nancy_Noxious posted:

lol no people will add Terrible fumble rolls to any game good or not also Dungeon world is a game so badly written two goons had to write an extra guide explaining how to play.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Nancy_Noxious posted:

steaming pile of manure

regressing game design 15 years

inane crap

HORRIBLE 5e DMs

those TERRIBLE DMs

lovely railroad of a campaign

Mearls is not just a poo poo lord

most detrimental games

the most toxic and regressive people

destroy all the progress
:raise:

I cant imagine why no one wants to play hipster games with you that no one less cool than you has ever heard of.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
To be fair 5e was absolutely made by some incredibly lovely people, and it's more then enough reason for plenty to turn it down.

That 5e is a lovely games just ends up making it a lot easier to turn down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I appreciate all the fresh hot takes on hipsters

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm kinda surprised rpgs haven't become a hipster thing somehow.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chaos rhames posted:

Wouldn't that be LARPS?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
gently caress "LARPS".

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chaos rhames posted:

They 100% are. This is how I ended up playing a 3 year long AD&D campaign.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Bespoke monsters

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

chaos rhames posted:

Didn't we already have that in the 90's, with several "mature" and artsy games more concerned with weird terminology than good game design?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Doresh posted:

Didn't we already have that in the 90's, with several "mature" and artsy games more concerned with weird terminology than good game design?
Hey now, most of the White Wolf core books were fine, it was the average players that poo poo in that pool. :colbert:

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
An artisnal artificer, using only sustainable local produce

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Doresh posted:

Probably but I always felt they were more of a goth or theatre kid thing. I always imagined hipsters or punks going OSR or something light and hackable.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Doresh posted:

D&D even kinda got in on this act with Planescape, which rules, but is also definitely the campaign setting for people who are like, way too smart for D&D.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Noxin of Shame posted:

An artisnal artificer, using only sustainable local produce

A Druid that only practices farm-to-table for the party's rations.

Pescetarian farm-to-table, at that.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How do bonus actions work? As a druid, I can de-shapeshift from an animal form with a bonus action, but my DM says I need a feat that grants you bonus actions or else I would have to just do it as a regular action, consuming my turn. Is there some way to obtain the ability to do a bonus action, or did I already attain that ability with wild form?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

How do bonus actions work? As a druid, I can de-shapeshift from an animal form with a bonus action, but my DM says I need a feat that grants you bonus actions or else I would have to just do it as a regular action, consuming my turn. Is there some way to obtain the ability to do a bonus action, or did I already attain that ability with wild form?

Haha what, your DM is very, very wrong. You have one bonus action per round if you have anything that grants you a bonus action (i.e., says you can use a bonus action to do something). So many things would be just utterly broken if you needed some specific feat to use a bonus action.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

No. Bonus actions are an inherent part of 5e. Your DM is bad and should feel bad.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Your GM doesn't know what he's talking about. Pg. 189 of the PHB explains bonus actions fairly well.

You have one bonus action on your turn as long as you have an ability that requires one, but you can only use one per turn. You cannot "trade down" any other action to a bonus action.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alright we got it all sorted out. We're all just learning the system, so none of us really has any experience with it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

There are certain Bonus Actions that require you to do something else as a prerequisite:

quote:

Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.

So for a Monk's Flurry of Blows, they must first spend their (Standard) Action on the Attack action, and then afterwards they can spend 1 Ki Point and their Bonus Action to make two unarmed strikes.

But for an unqualified statement such as:

quote:

You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn.

You can just do that, straight-up.

You have one (Standard) Action and one Bonus Action, per turn.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Basically bonus actions are actually Minor actions by a different more confusing name.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm having a ton of fun with 5e so far. Druid is a really fun support class with a lot of utility. Magic Stone is an especially fun spell that adds some extra tactical consideration since I have to regather stones every 3 shots to keep using it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

Sounds like outright lies to me. There is no way that is true, or they wouldn't basically be mothballing 5e already. But hey maybe they are actually doing well and have some other reason why they have so few people working and basically not putting products out at all.

Mothballing? We're just getting started.

Kurieg posted:

I can think of two explanations: A) this is a ludicrous outright lie. B) People have realized that the PHB is basically the only book that's only ever going to come out and don't feel so bad about picking it up. There is absolutely no way that 5e has actually generated more profit than either 3.5 or 4e as a whole since even if they have a large install base the install depth is shallow as gently caress.

What? I have a MM and DMG.

For the 5e thread theres a lot of 5e hate going on. Have I just joined the thread in the middle of a 200 page derail?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kommando posted:

Mothballing? We're just getting started.

So what other 5e products are coming out?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kommando posted:

For the 5e thread theres a lot of 5e hate going on. Have I just joined the thread in the middle of a 200 page derail?

Lots of people here, myself included, don't like 5e. But that doesn't stop them from A.) giving out advice and answering questions for anyone who asks, and B.) playing it regardless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
We've said it before but at this point in 4e's lifecycle all the non-Essentials books had already come out. 3rd Edition had dozens of books in it's first two years. The only player facing book that's come out since the 5e PHB has been the SCAG.

If we're "just getting started" then this is the slowest start that a DND edition has had in a long time, particularly since they're farming out the work to 3rd party companies rather than do it in house.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Andrast posted:

So what other 5e products are coming out?

I, for one, would like less splatbooks and feature creep for once.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lots of people here, myself included, don't like 5e. But that doesn't stop them from A.) giving out advice and answering questions for anyone who asks, and B.) playing it regardless.

Yeah, the Eclipse Phase thread is full of people who declare "I love the setting but the system is shite, you should all be playing FATE"

I asked for some advice on my game storyline I'm starting tonight a few pages back but everyone was hating on fumbles and it was ignored. I could really do with a second set of eyes to point out anything stupid, to expand upon or suggest logical progressions to it.

Kurieg posted:

We've said it before but at this point in 4e's lifecycle all the non-Essentials books had already come out. 3rd Edition had dozens of books in it's first two years. The only player facing book that's come out since the 5e PHB has been the SCAG.

If we're "just getting started" then this is the slowest start that a DND edition has had in a long time, particularly since they're farming out the work to 3rd party companies rather than do it in house.

My new group is just getting started, I ran Phandelver for another group and we all had a great deal of fun. I think the staggered release was a bad idea. Made it a very slow start.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kommando posted:

I, for one, would like less splatbooks and feature creep for once.

The thing about splatbooks/extra material is that you aren't forced to use them. I fail to see how getting almost nothing at all is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kommando posted:

I asked for some advice on my game storyline I'm starting tonight a few pages back but everyone was hating on fumbles and it was ignored. I could really do with a second set of eyes to point out anything stupid, to expand upon or suggest logical progressions to it.

I missed it when you originally posted it, but having re-read it now, I think that's perfectly fine.