Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

oh hey

UB mill onstream

Aw drat, out all day and missed it. Anything interesting show up in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BJPaskoff posted:

I wonder how much money WotC is losing from GP Charlotte. I'm really glad I didn't judge it now.

None.

SCG, however...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Aw drat, out all day and missed it. Anything interesting show up in it?

it's literally on right now

also, manic scribe

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

No, don't make Glimpse more expensive when I want to finally get my copies

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So is SCG footing the bill for all that free side event prizing?

What a goddamn mess.

I guess the craziest worse case scenario would be SCG ends up suing WOTC for lost revenue.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

None.

SCG, however...

Entropic posted:

What a goddamn mess.

I guess the craziest worse case scenario would be SCG ends up suing WOTC for lost revenue.

In WotC's statement, they said they would help cover the cost of the Challenge Badges

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

What a goddamn mess.

I can't imagine SCG is going to foot the bill for something that wasn't their fault.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Spare a thought for the poor unfortunate Judges who had to deal with Charlotte today.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Did anyone else see that guy Nahiri ult forgetting Emrukel was in his hand so he brought out a SnapCaster. He still won against affinity with lightning helix / SnapCaster beat downs.

Playing UWR is so worth it for the Affinity Matchup alone

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Entropic posted:

Spare a thought for the poor unfortunate Judges who had to deal with Charlotte today.

And so many L2 tournament reports were spawned this day

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

it's literally on right now

also, manic scribe

Help a brother out with a URL? Curious to see what they're using to turn on Scribe, there's only eight cards in my own deck that aren't lands, instants, or sorceries.

E: Found it, thanks. Highlight of the deck might be the SB Set Adrifts, wish I had thought of that.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 22, 2016

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Help a brother out with a URL? Curious to see what they're using to turn on Scribe, there's only eight cards in my own deck that aren't lands, instants, or sorceries.

It's over, but if you go to twitch.tv and find channel fireball you will be able to watch the whole day, and even be able to skip to certain parts.

Watching these events also shows that there are two breeds of magic players: Fat white guys, and skinny asians.
Outliers were a woman and a 9 year old boy (not-fat).

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
In that last round, Gaby called Hedron Crab "Ancient Crab" and, three seconds later, LSV called it Ancient Crab then corrected himself and called it Hedron Crab even though he'd called it Hedron Crab like 13 times already.

Good on him. He totally did that on purpose to cover Gaby's mistake and I'm glad he did. She gets so much poo poo, but you can tell she's trying to get better. Twitch chat loving hates her but loves LSV, and he bought her some nerd cred by showing them that her mistake was so easy to make that even he could screw it up. That's really thinking on your feet, LSV.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

End of Life Guy posted:

In that last round, Gaby called Hedron Crab "Ancient Crab" and, three seconds later, LSV called it Ancient Crab then corrected himself and called it Hedron Crab even though he'd called it Hedron Crab like 13 times already.

Good on him. He totally did that on purpose to cover Gaby's mistake and I'm glad he did. She gets so much poo poo, but you can tell she's trying to get better. Twitch chat loving hates her but loves LSV, and he bought her some nerd cred by showing them that her mistake was so easy to make that even he could screw it up. That's really thinking on your feet, LSV.

As much as the situation doesn't matter, because people make mistakes, especially when you've been talking for 8 hours straight. It's possible he just said what she said, because its the last thing his mind heard, and he made a mistake too.

Or he is a good guy. We will never know.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr. Jive posted:

If you're calling him that, you gotta yell "SHOOOOWTIIIME" when he flips. Those are the rules.
:hfive: Way ahead of you on that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

As much as the situation doesn't matter, because people make mistakes, especially when you've been talking for 8 hours straight. It's possible he just said what she said, because its the last thing his mind heard, and he made a mistake too.

Or he is a good guy. We will never know.

Or it's not that hard to confuse an Ancient crab from a Hedron one.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

End of Life Guy posted:

She needs to enunciate more clearly, and she's obviously not great at analysis, but she's already better than half of the pro tour commentators and is only likely to improve with more experience

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

loving up one card name in a game with fifteen thousand cards means she is clearly incompetent.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
The highlight play of the day goes to a Jund player that Lightening Bolted my Tidehollow Sculler while the enter into battlefield ability was on the stack, causing him to lose 2 bolts and another creature down the line due to me processing the exiled bolt.

My play of the day is casting Timely Reinforcements in my post combat main after my opponent had less life and we tied for creatures, I'm so good at this game! :downs:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

loving up one card name in a game with fifteen thousand cards means she is clearly incompetent.

Clearly. When I have 8 hour long conversations I never fudge a word, because I took some intro to communication classes in community college.

Gaby was probably whoring around with the football team, while we were/are designing the future.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PPTQ report:

So me and the gf went to a pptq in Kirkcaldy yesterday, and they got a much higher turnout than they were expecting, at 35 players. (Lots of Scottish events, especially outside the big cities, get around 20 or so.)
I was on my 5-colour superfriends brew, and gf was playing Eldrazi Goggles.

R1 opponent was on G/W stuff. Not the token deck, it felt like G/W superfriends, with den protector for value. I kept a 2 land hand in g1 and got punished by it, not being able to wrath his board until turn 6 or so, which was already too late, g2 went my way pretty perfectly (take the early beats, wrath to stabilise, get some value walkers out, still be on a double-digit life total.) g3 was another kind of non-entity. I played it out fine, but my deck decided not to give me anything proactive the whole time, and he had solid answers for anything I did get, but that's Magic.

R2 I don't remember well, but I know I lost it 1-2, even though after dominating g1, my opponent was convinced he has so unfavoured.

R3 was against the hybrid company/displacer combo deck. He sided out a bunch of the combo bits for more pressure, which I felt was right, but I still brought in a virulent plague just in case. He had thought-knot out of the board, but it never managed to hit enough to push me off my game plan, so I got there, putting me to 1-2

R4 was against a guy who had too much creature removal that he couldn't side it all uot, but my deck drew it up wrong and I always had to be interacting in the form of shambling vent etc, so I was unable to strand cards in his hand for too long. The only thing I felt was a "misplay" all day except from a couple questionable mulligan decisions happened in g3 of this match. I played out a chandra and had the option of cashing her in to wipe his board, or plussing to try and put pressure on him. I played and plussed, then realised it was wrong (but Comp REL, so didn't ask for takesies backsies). He cracked back for 1 short of lethal instead of trying to clear some of my walkers (I had Narset, Chandra and I think it was flip-nissa, but might have been Gideon.) I cast the languish that I had in my hand, which is what made the decision to plus chandra the previous turn relevant as I figured my walkers would fog for me, and then I'd get to clear his board with an extra walker down. In response to the languish though, he sacs his board to flip westvale abbey. I had 6 or so cards in hand, including a second languish and an anguished unmaking, but only had one pain-free source of black mana. I zero chandra to hope I draw declaration in stone or quarantine field, or even a way to chump for a turn, but no joy. I was in too much of a hurry to pressure him, and most people do go after the walkers, but he saw that he could cut off my pain-lands.

R5 Was against a B/W control deck. Game 1 I win in convincing manner, my deck was just better set pre-board to win the sort of grindy match we come to. G2 becomes a real slog, as I don't draw proactive things for turns and turns, meaning he gets to get into the game. I did get down Gideon, and another walker, but by the time I got to pressure him, he got to eventually gets to a new gideon, after killing another one of mine. I'm behind, and the life totals are both high thanks to duelling shambling vents, so I scoop it up to leave some time for g3. (We were at 22 and 27 respectively when I scooped.)

There's about 5 minutes left for g3, so I play in turbo mode, and he gets a bit mana-screwed. I get down oath of gideon for aggression, followed by gideon, followed by Ob Nixilis. He is forced to answer Gideon even though Ob Nix is about to ult, and he is still pinched on mana. I'm playing my fastest, most efficient magic here. He's playing at a sort of average pace, but well enough that I don't want to ask him to hurry, even though I know it's in his favour to play slow. (I thank him after the match for not eating up time.) I get to ult Ob Nix on turn 0 of extra turns, hit him to 15, he draws for the turn (13) and didn't find another land to make his hand live, passes, I draw (11) and play another walker (I think it was Sorin?) and he scoops them up. I'm not certain I had him in time, but Ob Nix emblem alone was going to deal another 6, and I still had a couple tokens.

R6 and I'm well out of contention. I'd had good ties for most of the day, but I'd got dragged as low as 22nd before the final round. I'm up against G/W tokens, which isn't a bad matchup for me, but he gets to run me over in 2 games. He drew 2 or 3 secure the wastes in each game. I once again kept a sketchy 2 lander on the play in g1.
G2 I feel was the low point of my luck all day. I had a hand with evolving wilds, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, dark petition, chandra, flip-nissa. I get a llanowar wastes off the first oath, which lets me cast the 2nd oath to get a land for the t3 flip-nissa, but I never get to get to 5 mana and use petition to find a virulent plague to lock my opponent down. He was operating on 3 lands as well, but his deck does it better.

Overall, I ended 2-4, but with a couple changes in my luck, feel I could have made the T8.
GF went 4-0, ID, ID, She got unlucky in T8 though. Her ties were a bit clear of the person she ID'd with in R5, but the final round switched it, she was 2nd after the swiss, and got paired up against my R2 opponent, which was an awful match-up for her, made worse by him having a ton of hand attack and infinite obliteration.

I was trying out Sylvan Advocate in my board, and did bring it in a couple times, but never drew it so dunno if it's good for the slot. I'm gonna test Sigarda in that place over the next week before GP Manchester, as I think exiling evolving wilds and Oath's that I cast duplicates of (and excess instants/sorceries once I've got spell mastery) or even dead walkers, to make tokens could be good, but also having protection from late-game hand-attack is relevant in the super-grindy matchups that can come up. If I have 4 cards in hand, but no idea what you're weak to and you get to Transgress me before playing a threat, then I constantly get put on the back-foot. Plus, Sigarda doesn't die to Languish, so she's immune to half my wraths, meaning I can still play them with her on field.

Here's the list I ran yesterday:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/superfriends-for-standard/

e; The thing I forgot to mention is that I honestly feel like this deck is only a card or two away from being really really good. If WotC put even a 6 mana wrath in black in EDM, then I can cut white that Oath of Nissa doesn't fix for, and shift to blue for some permission, as all the cards I have problems with are non-creatures. (Coco, secure, hand attack, etc.)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Heh, a bunch of my friends were at that so I was getting updates on it all day. I don't know if you played any of them but I guess one of them was the guy who beat your girlfriend to 1st seed

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Heh, a bunch of my friends were at that so I was getting updates on it all day. I don't know if you played any of them but I guess one of them was the guy who beat your girlfriend to 1st seed

Do you know who won? Don't see it online.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mehall posted:

Do you know who won? Don't see it online.

Some guy called Aaron, BW control

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Some guy called Aaron, BW control

Ta. That's who knocked my gf out of T8 in the quarters.
He's a great player.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My GP play of the day: round 1 game 2 against abzan company. Turn 1 I play stirring wildwood and pass. He plays verdant catacombs and passes. Turn 2 I play Pithing Needle figuring I'll name viscera seer.

"Pithing Needle?"
"Ummm.. ok."
"It resolves?"
"Yeah sure."
"Ok. Verdant Catacombs."

He had 2 more catacombs in his hand and no other sources of colored mana. Always crack your fetches before letting needle resolve folks!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

My GP play of the day: round 1 game 2 against abzan company. Turn 1 I play stirring wildwood and pass. He plays verdant catacombs and passes. Turn 2 I play Pithing Needle figuring I'll name viscera seer.

"Pithing Needle?"
"Ummm.. ok."
"It resolves?"
"Yeah sure."
"Ok. Verdant Catacombs."

He had 2 more catacombs in his hand and no other sources of colored mana. Always crack your fetches before letting needle resolve folks!

I got someone with that trick at TCGplayer States but the game was going so bad for him at that point I just felt bad and told him that he needed to fetch when he tries to pass priority.'

Then I had to name a different fetchland because I was playing against storm and realized it didn't turn off flashback.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

PPTQ report:

So me and the gf went to a pptq in Kirkcaldy yesterday, and they got a much higher turnout than they were expecting, at 35 players. (Lots of Scottish events, especially outside the big cities, get around 20 or so.)
I was on my 5-colour superfriends brew, and gf was playing Eldrazi Goggles.

R1 opponent was on G/W stuff. Not the token deck, it felt like G/W superfriends, with den protector for value. I kept a 2 land hand in g1 and got punished by it, not being able to wrath his board until turn 6 or so, which was already too late, g2 went my way pretty perfectly (take the early beats, wrath to stabilise, get some value walkers out, still be on a double-digit life total.) g3 was another kind of non-entity. I played it out fine, but my deck decided not to give me anything proactive the whole time, and he had solid answers for anything I did get, but that's Magic.

R2 I don't remember well, but I know I lost it 1-2, even though after dominating g1, my opponent was convinced he has so unfavoured.

R3 was against the hybrid company/displacer combo deck. He sided out a bunch of the combo bits for more pressure, which I felt was right, but I still brought in a virulent plague just in case. He had thought-knot out of the board, but it never managed to hit enough to push me off my game plan, so I got there, putting me to 1-2

R4 was against a guy who had too much creature removal that he couldn't side it all uot, but my deck drew it up wrong and I always had to be interacting in the form of shambling vent etc, so I was unable to strand cards in his hand for too long. The only thing I felt was a "misplay" all day except from a couple questionable mulligan decisions happened in g3 of this match. I played out a chandra and had the option of cashing her in to wipe his board, or plussing to try and put pressure on him. I played and plussed, then realised it was wrong (but Comp REL, so didn't ask for takesies backsies). He cracked back for 1 short of lethal instead of trying to clear some of my walkers (I had Narset, Chandra and I think it was flip-nissa, but might have been Gideon.) I cast the languish that I had in my hand, which is what made the decision to plus chandra the previous turn relevant as I figured my walkers would fog for me, and then I'd get to clear his board with an extra walker down. In response to the languish though, he sacs his board to flip westvale abbey. I had 6 or so cards in hand, including a second languish and an anguished unmaking, but only had one pain-free source of black mana. I zero chandra to hope I draw declaration in stone or quarantine field, or even a way to chump for a turn, but no joy. I was in too much of a hurry to pressure him, and most people do go after the walkers, but he saw that he could cut off my pain-lands.

R5 Was against a B/W control deck. Game 1 I win in convincing manner, my deck was just better set pre-board to win the sort of grindy match we come to. G2 becomes a real slog, as I don't draw proactive things for turns and turns, meaning he gets to get into the game. I did get down Gideon, and another walker, but by the time I got to pressure him, he got to eventually gets to a new gideon, after killing another one of mine. I'm behind, and the life totals are both high thanks to duelling shambling vents, so I scoop it up to leave some time for g3. (We were at 22 and 27 respectively when I scooped.)

There's about 5 minutes left for g3, so I play in turbo mode, and he gets a bit mana-screwed. I get down oath of gideon for aggression, followed by gideon, followed by Ob Nixilis. He is forced to answer Gideon even though Ob Nix is about to ult, and he is still pinched on mana. I'm playing my fastest, most efficient magic here. He's playing at a sort of average pace, but well enough that I don't want to ask him to hurry, even though I know it's in his favour to play slow. (I thank him after the match for not eating up time.) I get to ult Ob Nix on turn 0 of extra turns, hit him to 15, he draws for the turn (13) and didn't find another land to make his hand live, passes, I draw (11) and play another walker (I think it was Sorin?) and he scoops them up. I'm not certain I had him in time, but Ob Nix emblem alone was going to deal another 6, and I still had a couple tokens.

R6 and I'm well out of contention. I'd had good ties for most of the day, but I'd got dragged as low as 22nd before the final round. I'm up against G/W tokens, which isn't a bad matchup for me, but he gets to run me over in 2 games. He drew 2 or 3 secure the wastes in each game. I once again kept a sketchy 2 lander on the play in g1.
G2 I feel was the low point of my luck all day. I had a hand with evolving wilds, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, dark petition, chandra, flip-nissa. I get a llanowar wastes off the first oath, which lets me cast the 2nd oath to get a land for the t3 flip-nissa, but I never get to get to 5 mana and use petition to find a virulent plague to lock my opponent down. He was operating on 3 lands as well, but his deck does it better.

Overall, I ended 2-4, but with a couple changes in my luck, feel I could have made the T8.
GF went 4-0, ID, ID, She got unlucky in T8 though. Her ties were a bit clear of the person she ID'd with in R5, but the final round switched it, she was 2nd after the swiss, and got paired up against my R2 opponent, which was an awful match-up for her, made worse by him having a ton of hand attack and infinite obliteration.

I was trying out Sylvan Advocate in my board, and did bring it in a couple times, but never drew it so dunno if it's good for the slot. I'm gonna test Sigarda in that place over the next week before GP Manchester, as I think exiling evolving wilds and Oath's that I cast duplicates of (and excess instants/sorceries once I've got spell mastery) or even dead walkers, to make tokens could be good, but also having protection from late-game hand-attack is relevant in the super-grindy matchups that can come up. If I have 4 cards in hand, but no idea what you're weak to and you get to Transgress me before playing a threat, then I constantly get put on the back-foot. Plus, Sigarda doesn't die to Languish, so she's immune to half my wraths, meaning I can still play them with her on field.

Here's the list I ran yesterday:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/superfriends-for-standard/

e; The thing I forgot to mention is that I honestly feel like this deck is only a card or two away from being really really good. If WotC put even a 6 mana wrath in black in EDM, then I can cut white that Oath of Nissa doesn't fix for, and shift to blue for some permission, as all the cards I have problems with are non-creatures. (Coco, secure, hand attack, etc.)

Have you tried adding Hallowed Moonlight to your side-board so end of the turn Secure the Wastes or Collected Companies don't end games.
Also why 4 Planar outburst and only 3 languishes and not the other way around. A board wipe coming down 1 turn earlier seems important.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Have you tried adding Hallowed Moonlight to your side-board so end of the turn Secure the Wastes or Collected Companies don't end games.
Also why 4 Planar outburst and only 3 languishes and not the other way around. A board wipe coming down 1 turn earlier seems important.

3 Languish is what I have, which is also why there's a 1-of Flaying Tendrils. My intention is to run 8 wraths.

I was actually saying just earlier today that I should be trying Hallowed Moonlight as an answer to those cards. They're not game over for me, but they are certainly the hardest bit of those decks to deal with. I'm kind of considering shifting some Anguished Unmaknig to the SB for Moonlight's, as they're good in most match-ups.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is an offensive monoU Tron deck at the 9-0 tables at GPLA.

Also I came VERY close to registering a deck for GP Charlotte with Dark Confidant and Emrakul.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 22, 2016

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm rooting for him after his hilarious mindslaver top deck yesterday.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

There is an offensive monoU Tron deck at the 9-0 tables at GPLA.

Also I came VERY close to registering a deck for GP Charlotte with Dark Confidant and Emrakul.

This blue deck is magnificent.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GeneX posted:

She needs to enunciate more clearly, and she's obviously not great at analysis, but she's already better than half of the pro tour commentators and is only likely to improve with more experience
I look forward to Gaby & Hagon pro tour commentary.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Epiphany at the Drownyard is disgustingly good in Mono U-Tron apparently.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wish there was a way to see certain decklists when spectating events (besides showing up on stream), but I can see why that would be a huge liability issue.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SuicideSteve just popped a boner

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Epiphany at the Drownyard is disgustingly good in Mono U-Tron apparently.

It's not. The affinity player just was just on 5 with 1 land.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
If there is a god UB Mill will win this GP

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

80s James Hetfield posted:

If there is a god UB Mill will win this GP

You jinxed him you bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoutPatrol posted:

You jinxed him you bastard

The mill player was screwed a little. The jund player failed to reveal his card twice, although he did pay the appropriate life for it.

• Locked thread