Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Manuel was trying to read it right-to-left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

I am a dumb small child and I'm not sure I get this. Someone please explain.

Vampire hunter is about to kill a vampire before it is pointed out that the person who the vampire wants to eat is a neo-nazi among other things. Upon seeing that the hunter views that the vampire is doing nothing wrong and leaves him be to eat the neo-nazi.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

But then he'll have to hunt the new nazi vampire

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Only if he doesn't drain him dry.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manuel Calavera posted:

I am a dumb small child and I'm not sure I get this. Someone please explain.

Sleeping child = Nazi
Vampire = Antifa
Amish dude = people who usually are against violence of any kind but make an exception when violence is targeted at the truly terrible

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vib Rib posted:

What's the implication here, anyway? Gay people are just naturally violent?

And perverted!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm glad people can come together for a flood, but this ain't gonna last when one side is loving klan members and nazis.

Yeah you know what? Bullfuckingshit that the Klan is out there saving as many minorities as they can. Yeah, I'm sure Democrats and Republicans are coming together blah blah, but the issue is NOT "Democrats vs Republicans" anymore, it's "NAZI's vs everyone else". This is such a whitewashing of the real issues that are out there and downplaying the danger when the real bad guys are currently spreading "Why come Obama didn't help with Katrina???" and spreading racist "black looters shooting at white hero" memes. "Democrats vs republicans" left port years ago, this is NOT "business as usual". gently caress this "let's come together and hug" bullshit because you're no longer telling me to hug a political opponent but someone who literally wants me to and mine to be driven from the Earth.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Mike Lester would cream his jeans if he saw those rainbow belts.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Vib Rib posted:

Nah, it's a bit more subtle (but no less bullshit). The study they site tries to claim that the biological connection between child and parent is more important than anything else. As a lot of children in gay households are (according to the study, no idea about the actual numbers) staying with a gay parent after their heterosexual marriage ended with divorce. Then, when the child asks where babies come from and learn that it takes a man and a woman, their tiny child minds will be OVERWHELMED and they'll decide that something has to be horribly horribly wrong since one of their biological parents is out there somewhere and not here raising them.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

This one is pissing off MAGA Americans. Politico pulled it from their site and totally normal person Dana Loesch is complaining on twitter about insensitivity.

I thought one of the Trump slogans was "gently caress your Feelings", don't know why they are so upset

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Spun Dog posted:

This one is pissing off MAGA Americans. Politico pulled it from their site and totally normal person Dana Loesch is complaining on twitter about insensitivity.

I thought one of the Trump slogans was "gently caress your Feelings", don't know why they are so upset

For posterity

https://twitter.com/i/moments/902957429071134721

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yeah you know what? Bullfuckingshit that the Klan is out there saving as many minorities as they can. Yeah, I'm sure Democrats and Republicans are coming together blah blah, but the issue is NOT "Democrats vs Republicans" anymore, it's "NAZI's vs everyone else". This is such a whitewashing of the real issues that are out there and downplaying the danger when the real bad guys are currently spreading "Why come Obama didn't help with Katrina???" and spreading racist "black looters shooting at white hero" memes. "Democrats vs republicans" left port years ago, this is NOT "business as usual". gently caress this "let's come together and hug" bullshit because you're no longer telling me to hug a political opponent but someone who literally wants me to and mine to be driven from the Earth.
This edit was made for you my friend:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Wilcox:

The first television ad for the "no" campaign to same sex marriage hit the air. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXLfp2sFHQ

Pope:

Huge increase of youth vote enrolment before the deadline in a system where it is compulsory to vote in elections.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Spun Dog posted:

Wuerker is one of the few redeemed political cartoonists in existence so I can only hope for Politico to burn from the inside out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kaza42 posted:

Nah, it's a bit more subtle (but no less bullshit). The study they site tries to claim that the biological connection between child and parent is more important than anything else. As a lot of children in gay households are (according to the study, no idea about the actual numbers) staying with a gay parent after their heterosexual marriage ended with divorce. Then, when the child asks where babies come from and learn that it takes a man and a woman, their tiny child minds will be OVERWHELMED and they'll decide that something has to be horribly horribly wrong since one of their biological parents is out there somewhere and not here raising them.
I meant the poster, though. It's pretty explicitly suggesting gays beat kids, with only the faintest pretense of metaphor.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Trump supporters are the biggest snowflakes.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Hell, I think we're even beyond this point in American conservatism nowadays. Republicans and Fundamentalists have realized that as long as something sounds like it's scientific, people will snatch it up and instantly believe it as long as it agrees with their pre-existing worldview. Before the Obergefell decision, you saw a few anti-gay "scientific" papers being published that were so lacking in standards and integrity that they were almost instantly (although metaphorically) torn apart. But to the people putting them out, it didn't matter - it was never about actually being correct, it was about shaping public perception.

It's why organizations like the American College of Pediatricians exist. It's not an actual scientific organization, it's a lobbying group made up of conservative Christians. They exist solely because "Well, the American College of Pediatricians says that introducing children to LGBT concepts is harmful and should be avoided" is a lot easier to say on Fox News than it is to say "BUT THEY'RE FAGS!"

Science, to them, is a tool to be used to get people to agree with them, nothing more.

This remains the definitive term for that reaction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Trapezium Dave posted:

The first television ad for the "no" campaign to same sex marriage hit the air. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXLfp2sFHQ

The message: Deplorable
Y'all's accents: Adorable

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

These horrible people are much worse than a dumb cargo cult, they spread misinformation under a title that most people will not check.
They are propagandists of evil.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon:

Hah at the judge using Shakespeare to let go of a man calling the prime minister a swear word. The legal world is wild.

How is it that I never realized that oval office had "horrendous misogyny" backing it until now? I feel incredibly stupid.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wilcox:

Those actors sure were paid to say some things.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Whose work is this?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Help Im Alive posted:

Well, sure. Fortunately he's still in the same building :getin:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

War Wizard posted:

Those actors sure were paid to say some things.
The woman concerned about schools letting boys wear dresses did actually make that complaint against her son's school, it was part of the scare campaign thrown against the Safe Schools program much like all those Bill Leak cartoons with teachers in gimp suits.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Donald Trump and tropical storm Harvey – An executive order issued by Trump earlier this month revoked flood-risk standards for federally funded infrastructure projects in areas prone to flooding – like many of those now sinking in Texas"

Telegraph:

May to press Japan on its EU trade deal in hopes of a model for UK

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
Mac on... Donald Trump's south Pacific problems

'I'm gonna blast that man right outa my hair!'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Good economic news is dead, AGC.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Eric Allie (and Gov. Rauner by extension) are being criticized pretty roundly by people saying this cartoon is racist

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... Donald Trump's south Pacific problems

'I'm gonna blast that man right outa my hair!'
North Korea, South of Java.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Saint Sputnik posted:

Eric Allie (and Gov. Rauner by extension) are being criticized pretty roundly by people saying this cartoon is racist

So...what, the kid should have been the majority race, ie Hispanic? What a bizarre take.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

The Cubelodyte posted:

Whose work is this?

http://neilaglet.tumblr.com/

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

So is this a viable strategy? Mirroring Japan's EU trade deal I mean.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Cubelodyte posted:

Whose work is this?

https://twitter.com/neilaglet

e: oh whoops i was beaten. In any case i found it 'cause Kate Beaton retweeted it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
So wait Allie is saying that money shouldn't be invested in minority communities? I'm confused because aren't Tifs used to reinvest In downtrodden communities? This entire cartoon is confusing

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

So wait Allie is saying that money shouldn't be invested in minority communities? I'm confused because aren't Tifs used to reinvest In downtrodden communities? This entire cartoon is confusing

You'd think that, but TIF is typically used in many places as a tool to attract businesses and spur growth in 'blighted' areas. But that funding also keeps tax dollars out of the hands of school districts and other entities until the time that the TIF matures, so when that growth does happen, those dollars are still going to the TIF and not to a school district that might suddenly need it if say, a bunch of people move in?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sandpuppy posted:

I'll never forget the first time I saw "NoKo" used for North Korea. It was 10 minutes ago, when I saw this cartoon.

It appears to have been used once each by Fox Business and American Thinker. Months ago.

Vib Rib posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NZvtvt2JqA&t=506s

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

The extremist hate group thing seems a little trumped up to me.

The Southern Poverty Law Center says there are between 5,000 and 8,000 Klan members. The SLPC is the media’s go-to choice for hate stats. They even publish this helpful hate map.

But their definition of hate seems broad. They label some Christian groups that don’t share their views on LGBT issues, like the Family Research Council, as hate groups. Then again, I suppose the Klan also considers itself a Christian group not big on the LGBT agenda.

Anyway, I found the FBI figure of 2,200 Klan members quoted in Newsweek archives. So I went with it.

Chip Bok posted:

The Atlantic has a nice story about the “Cajun Navy.” It’s made up of private citizens with boats who rescue Hurricane Harvey victims:

Clyde Cain, who runs a Cajun Navy Facebook page told USA Today last year, “The reality of the Cajun Navy is everybody out here with a boat that isn’t devastated gets out and helps others.”

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Saint Sputnik posted:

After reading both of those articles twice I'm still having a hard time parsing what's going on. What does TIF have to do with school funding?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Doesn't strike me as particularly racist, but it's dumb as gently caress, so y'know: Classic Allie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

D.N. Nation posted:

Doesn't strike me as particularly racist, but it's dumb as gently caress, so y'know: Classic Allie.

TARP
MONEY

• Locked thread