Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Faust-post for new page. :)

The Muppets On PCP posted:

could be leftover material from when the slot was cut causing the string to bind up

dip some floss in naptha and clean out any gunk that might be in there, then try running a piece of automotive sandpaper like 1000+ grit in the slot a couple times
I have plenty of floss and naptha, so that's easy. Not sure how I feel about running sandpaper in the nut slot, but I think I have some 1000+ micro-mesh that I think would be safe to try. Thanks MOP.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also try this on the string tree beyond the nut.
The thought had occurred to me, will try and report back (next string change.)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The 12BH7 tube needs to be biased. There are two internal trimpots and some bias points.
Ok. Deep breath.
I bought a new Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 for my used HT-5H (yes, I am concerned about the quality of the tube, I cannot really afford N.O.S. on that tube) and I know there are two pots for that tube: a bias/voltage pot (some people claim the circuit is self-biasing) and then there's also a pot to balance to the two sides of this dual-triode tube. The *problem* is Blackstar does not share the info on the proper meter readings for those two pots and no amount of Googling has given me a clear answer on how to set those pots. Also, I don't know this circuit and I am not happy about poking around inside it (unlike my Blues Jr. where I know exactly how to be certain the caps are discharged) without some solid YouTube or forums instructions. Blackstar's stance is "Take it to a Blackstar Qualified Tech" and the tech I like isn't, and he won't touch it. On the other hand, the amp sounds loving great so I am not worried about it right now; but I am seriously frustrated that I want to put new glass in the amp and I don't even know how to start. What do you know about it, Bhabhi? Tell us! I don't even know if we can go by the tube data sheet because the HT-5H is a genuinely weird circuit that tried to simulate power section break-up in some proprietary way. If you have access to the data, please share; because I have the tubes but am not willing to open the amp until I am 100% sure I know what to do.

betterinsodapop posted:

If I can replace the Blackstar logo with a Marhsall logo, it just might work...
Then I can buy a Fender Bassbreaker...
I have two Blackstar HT-110 speaker cabinets and I opened one to see if I could remove those huge logos. The answer is, "Not without disassembling the whole goddamn thing to get to the baffle board, which is held in place with many wood screws and then I still don't know what's holding the logo onto the baffle so I didn't even try. I merely took a picture of the Celestion 10" speaker and put the cabinet back together. Too much work, man, I'll live with the huge logos.

StickySweater posted:

Instead of graphite, try using Big Bends Nut Sauce (or Music Nomad's Tune-It or other equivalent). It's less than $10 and I use it every time I change strings now. You can use it on the bottom of the string tree, the nut, the saddle, and even the trem cavity (though I have not that one myself). I find it works well at reducing the amount of tuning I need to readily do.

Another, perhaps more extreme option, is to see how the guitar fairs with the B string outside of the tree. Either place the string above the tree (which might not work), rotate the tree, or remove it all together. If the guitar can play without producing any weird sitar like noises or jumping out of the nut constantly, then you don't need it after all.

I have a Standard Strat, and once I installed the staggered Fender locking tuners, I just removed the tree. Small hole there now, but probably better tuning stability on those two strings. Very rarely, the string will pop out of the nut, but it's not a big deal.

EDIT: Also post pics of new guitar.
Ok, I'll track those products down. This guitar cost way too much for me to struggle with keeping it in tune so much.

Pics? You don't have to ask me twice! Brace yourself:

This rosewood... :swoon:

Headstock and nut:

In case:

V4 Noiseless pickups and S1 Switching system (sorry about the dirty bridge, I didn't notice at the time, but it polished up beautifully):

Locking tuners:

Guitar back/rounded neck heel (the stickers have been removed and all adhesive removed with denatured alcohol):

My favorite up-close pic:

It's a gorgeous instrument with really nice ergonomics (e.g. compound-radius neck - 9.5" to 14" - with also compound/shaping on the back - traditional C-shape at the nut up to D-shape at the heel, rounded heel.) The pickups will go eventually when I put in something more traditional, but I do like the way these V4 Noiseless sound. I just want something with more blood-n-guts. Like my MIM Standard Tele, it's Alder and is a lot heavier than all my Basswood guitars, but it's not *so* heavy, just more than I am used to.
It bears repeating that I have wanted a Sunburst Strat for 31 years, since before I learned to play. Kramers and Ibanezes came along and ruined the Strat for me (7.5" radius? gently caress no!) but this guitar came along and I knew it was time for me to finally own a real USA Fender Stratocaster. I just need to fix this tuning issue and pick a set of pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I had an acoustic electric talman.

I hated it to be honest. Weak tone that doesn't carry in acoustic mode, and thick steel strings suck for nuanced electric play.

It felt like the worst possible way to negotiate that compromise, but to be fair it was a $200 model.

Now I have a seagull classic as my main acoustic driver, some cheap rear end 100 dollar electric guitar from GC for my electric needs and I am much much happier as a result.

Friends don't let friends buy acoustic electrics (unless your other needs are already covered)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Faust-post for new page. :)

I have plenty of floss and naptha, so that's easy. Not sure how I feel about running sandpaper in the nut slot, but I think I have some 1000+ micro-mesh that I think would be safe to try. Thanks MOP.
The thought had occurred to me, will try and report back (next string change.)
Ok. Deep breath.
I bought a new Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 for my used HT-5H (yes, I am concerned about the quality of the tube, I cannot really afford N.O.S. on that tube) and I know there are two pots for that tube: a bias/voltage pot (some people claim the circuit is self-biasing) and then there's also a pot to balance to the two sides of this dual-triode tube. The *problem* is Blackstar does not share the info on the proper meter readings for those two pots and no amount of Googling has given me a clear answer on how to set those pots. Also, I don't know this circuit and I am not happy about poking around inside it (unlike my Blues Jr. where I know exactly how to be certain the caps are discharged) without some solid YouTube or forums instructions. Blackstar's stance is "Take it to a Blackstar Qualified Tech" and the tech I like isn't, and he won't touch it. On the other hand, the amp sounds loving great so I am not worried about it right now; but I am seriously frustrated that I want to put new glass in the amp and I don't even know how to start. What do you know about it, Bhabhi? Tell us! I don't even know if we can go by the tube data sheet because the HT-5H is a genuinely weird circuit that tried to simulate power section break-up in some proprietary way. If you have access to the data, please share; because I have the tubes but am not willing to open the amp until I am 100% sure I know what to do.

A 12AX7 is cathode-biased so it's basically self-biasing. The 12BH7 is running both triodes in a push-pull amplifier setup which is a very different situation. It might sound ok if you don't rebias it but it won't sound its best. Check this:

http://www.tonegeek.com/musicgear/amps/blackstar-ht5-bad-sound.php
https://www.blackstaramps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92&start=60

Rebiasing ensures that on either "side" of the tube you have an equal voltage so that it is operating within its linearity.

A good amp tech will know what to do. Those posts give voltages but you are working with lethal stuff and should know what you are doing. The datasheet is here: http://www.op316.com/tubes/mw/image/12bh7age.pdf

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Extortionist posted:

As another poster said...

The controls make sense after playing with them for a bit, so I wouldn't let that put you off.
Thanks! I think it's more of a toss-up between the Jaguar and the Jazzmaster. I certainly wasn't planning the scale conversion right off the bat.

Anyway, I think I like the looks of the Deluxe Jazzmaster more than the J Mascis, but I know the J Mascis neck is pretty rad. The Jaguars are cool too, but really I'll have to get out and play some more before I decide.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Guitar back/rounded neck heel (the stickers have been removed and all adhesive removed with denatured alcohol):

The neck heel is the thing I like most about the elite series. The neck tilt feature on the front is probably my least favorite. It's kinda ugly.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There is no neck-tilt feature on the front. This 2017 Elite Strat has no neck-tilt feature at all.
There is a double-action truss-rod adjustment available at the end of the neck. It looks like this:

It's way better than putting it behind a truss-rod cover, or hiding it at the base of the neck requiring you to remove the neck to tweak the relief. It's not that attractive (personally I don't mind at all but I know a lot of Strat purists who hate it) but it's convenient and requires very little effort to adjust. I'm a fan.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Those should be on every guitar imo. Traditional truss rods are horribly outdated.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Just did the D and A cord videos. Holy balls do my fingers hurt now. Spent about a half hour and this hurts more than just doing one finger per fret exercise that I was doing the past few days. Also had the issue he addressed of my ring finger not stretching out where it needs to be. Had to move it in position in order to stop the twang. Also moved my thumb as suggested and that helped but need to get used to it because it feels wrong.

Wife came in while practicing and kept saying she is excited and can't wait till I can play a song. Did not see that one coming.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's way better than putting it behind a truss-rod cover, or hiding it at the base of the neck requiring you to remove the neck to tweak the relief. It's not that attractive (personally I don't mind at all but I know a lot of Strat purists who hate it) but it's convenient and requires very little effort to adjust. I'm a fan.

I asked a tech about it when I took mine in for a setup and he was also a fan. Said it made the guitar a lot easier to deal with. Works for me.

Is that regular sunburst or mystic sunburst? It almost looks metallic. I went into CME to look at one when I found this:

Inexpertly photographed, but here's mine in skyburst next to a custom painted Guild S-100. The Guild has sort of the reverse color scheme, a blue on the top that turns into silver along the sides. When I saw the skyburst, I kind of had to have it.

Not really a strat guy, but I do like these noiseless pickups. They don't really sound exactly like regular single coils, but to me they're more interesting. Still chimey, but somehow less harsh. I did a quick A/B test with a normal strat and liked mine better. Since then, it's gotten flatwounds and sounds even better to me.

I have a transparent red strat with black headstock/pickguard/hardware and v3 noiseless pickups, and this thing, a SubSonic baritone with Phat Cats:

I don't use the middle pickup or the out of phase positions, and the pickups sounded crap to me, so I got this silver one and had it wired with a Gibson-style two volume and two tone.

Everything else that wasn't a Gibson, Guild or Rickenbacker got sold off this summer to pay for new amps. I'm still in mild shock that the last new guitar I got was a Fender, but these Elites are really nice if you don't care about copying vintage models.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gorgar posted:

Is that regular sunburst or mystic sunburst? It almost looks metallic. I went into CME to look at one when I found this:
It's a regular Tri-fade or standard Sunburst. I wanted straight Tobacco-Sunburst but that wasn't an option, and this is close enough for me.

To be more clear, I am pretty confident the MIM Standard Tele and Strat Elite are two-tone 'bursts. The Ibanez Talman on the right is a Tri-Fade 'burst, and it's kinda hard to see in the picture but the difference is there to see.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A 12AX7 is cathode-biased so it's basically self-biasing. The 12BH7 is running both triodes in a push-pull amplifier setup which is a very different situation. It might sound ok if you don't rebias it but it won't sound its best. Check this:

http://www.tonegeek.com/musicgear/amps/blackstar-ht5-bad-sound.php
https://www.blackstaramps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92&start=60

Rebiasing ensures that on either "side" of the tube you have an equal voltage so that it is operating within its linearity.

A good amp tech will know what to do. Those posts give voltages but you are working with lethal stuff and should know what you are doing. The datasheet is here: http://www.op316.com/tubes/mw/image/12bh7age.pdf
For any Blackstar HT-5H owners out there wondering if your PCB is conductive, be aware this is a known problem from a run of PCBs from about 2012-2013/14. Mine's an old 2009 so I don't think I have to worry about that particular issue. For clarification, check you serial number for manufacturing date. I can't comment on the HT-5R heads. I don't have one.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fixit posted:

Just did the D and A cord videos...

Wife came in while practicing and kept saying she is excited and can't wait till I can play a song. Did not see that one coming.

You're one chord away from knowing enough chords to be able to play a whole bunch of simplified songs.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

AlphaDog posted:

You're one chord away from knowing enough chords to be able to play a whole bunch of simplified songs.

Just add E and G and the world's your oyster.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Anime Reference posted:

But if you add E and G to A and D, that's four chords. You only ever need three in any given song, why bother learning an extra one?

Next you'll be trying to tell me that B exists.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 25, 2017

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Bb#5b9 is my favorite retarded chord

It resolves neatly into Ebm tonic progressions, but it just looks so absurd on paper.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

But if you add E and G to A and D, that's four chords. You only ever need three in any given song, why bother learning an extra one?

Next you'll be trying to tell me that B exists.

While B has been created temporarily in lab conditions, it's never been seen in the wild.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

B's easy though? You just fret an A and pull up on your tremolo

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

B's easy though? You just fret an A and pull up on your tremolo

Or play an A and move the Amp very fast towards the listener.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Extreme Leslie, I like it!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Fixit posted:

Just did the D and A cord videos. Holy balls do my fingers hurt now. Spent about a half hour and this hurts more than just doing one finger per fret exercise that I was doing the past few days. Also had the issue he addressed of my ring finger not stretching out where it needs to be. Had to move it in position in order to stop the twang. Also moved my thumb as suggested and that helped but need to get used to it because it feels wrong.

Assuming you don't rub a blister (stop before that happens), the finger pain goes away in a day and soon the wonderful calluses begin to form!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Bb#5b9 is my favorite retarded chord

It resolves neatly into Ebm tonic progressions, but it just looks so absurd on paper.

Isn't that just enharmonic to Bmin maj7? Or like, over A# if you wanna be picky about inversions.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You shall not deny the Basie number it’s dominant 5 chord

And that’s not Bb sharp, that’s B flat major, sharp 5, flat 9(2)

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 25, 2017

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It’s pretty cool actually. Instead of playing a normal dominant Bb7 chord (major triad, minor 7th) as your leading tone back to Ebm, you play Bb Major sharpened 5, flatted 9. Normally for guitar you can throw out the 5th and just play your chord tones, 3 and 7, but in this case, there’s a #5. Due to wanting to only play the notes essential to the sound, you throw out your major third since the sharp 5 is augmented and ‘implies’ the major third (since you have to have a major third for a triad to be augmented). Then you keep the minor 7th and throw in the minor 9th, or 2nd, really. The half tone between your V chord’s root and 9th really cranks your tension up, which is good BECAUSE your V chord is supposed to create tension to then have it resolved by your Eb minor (probably 7 if it’s blues, 11/13 also common in jazz for suspended resolution). The other reason it works is because that Flat 9 for Bb is Cb diatonically, which is your Tonic minor 6. This helps resolve because you go from minor 6 to perfect 5th, creating that juicy one note leap that is almost ubiquitous to V > i chord resolutions. Normally there’s two of those though, which is present here. Minor 7th for your V chord is tonic 4, which goes to 3 or 5 on the i chord.

If I hosed any of that up someone let me know. I’m only on my first semester of all this bullshit.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Yikes, no idea what you loving psychopaths are talking about at all. I do sorta wish I understood that jargon, but gods below, that poo poo is way beyond my comprehension...

If I hit a bad note, I just bend it up until it sounds good again.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So this one comes with a bit of a story.

Was browsing the Swedish version of eBay as I am prone to do (not _looking_ to buy new gear but...), and saw a guy had posted two identical ads at two different prices, featuring a photo clearly pulled off the Internet (red Telecaster), and the description being "Nice guitar for sale" "Telecaster that cost 9500 SEK new". Looked at his other ads and he was also selling a beat up Toyota with the description being "Toyota", "7000 SEK" and a listing price of 6500 SEK. Yeah, someone is not entirely clear on how to do things on the Internets.

Figured this might be some older person who just has no clue how to list things, I emailed him and asked if he had any pictures of, uh, the _actual_ guitar for sale. Got a response back with a cell phone picture of what appeared to be a spalted maple Telecaster with dual humbuckers. Also got a shot of the serial #. And finally a picture of his passport so I'd "know I am dealing with a real person". Dude's 34 and looks like Owen Wilson. Usually scammers are a bit more slick so I figured this might just be genuine.

Googled the guy and he lives with his parents (surprise), but his name and email didn't pull up anything at all so at least he wasn't a well known scam artist. The guitar appeared to be a fairly unusual Korean made Fender that had pretty positive stuff written about it. Said I'd buy it for 3000 SEK (he was asking 3500). He agreed, I sent money.

Couple days later I ask what's up with the guitar, he claims his girlfriend is going to take it "tomorrow". I said OK, just send me the tracking # afterwards. A day later, nothing. Send him a text about it, "ohhhh, I'll check and get back to you". Day after, nothing. Then he calls out of the blue with this explanation about his friend working for the postal service and is taking the guitar "not really checked into the system" and that it'll show up on Monday. I say OK, we'll wait until Monday then.

Monday rolls around, nothing. Ask for tracking # again, "ok, I will get back to you". Around 11PM I send a text saying I'd better have a guitar in my hand or a working tracking # by next day. 10am next day I get a tracking number sent to me. Pull it up (expecting nothing) and sure enough a package is on the way. A package that was handed into his local post office six minutes earlier.

So today I check on it. It's on a way to a different zip code than I expected. Realize it's the zip code where I work. Yeah, despite me sending my home address the dude'd somehow managed to get on the Internets to google my name and sent it to my work address instead. Luckily I manage to finally get hold of the package. Well, he'd sent the guitar in a soft gig bag with no other protection. I tell the postal clerk that I am not signing poo poo until I take a look at this (expecting shrapnel, the Swedish post office is known as "postmurder" for a good reason). Somehow the drat thing is absolutely pristine in every way. In fact, it's a 2008 and it barely looks like anyone has touched it. Just gorgeous.

I really have no clue what actually went down. I doubt the guy was trying to scam me, and am thinking he was just a lazy failed musician SOB living with mom and dad. But hell, I have it here now and it's lovely.

Carved mahogany body, mahogany set neck, spalted maple top, Seymour Duncan '59 and Pearly Gates humbuckers (coil splittable). It's basically some sort of bastard Fender Les Paul. Love it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

add a C onto that and you can play a Hendrix song. Do you need anything more, really?

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

So after tonight I will become a master guitar player and start :bravo2:. I will make it so

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So this one comes with a bit of a story.

I was waiting for you to say a GIANT box arrived and that he had accidentally shipped you the Toyota.....

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lumpy posted:

I was waiting for you to say a GIANT box arrived and that he had accidentally shipped you the Toyota.....

Y'know, it honestly would not have surprised me. I just checked his auctions and he's now selling a bottle of vitamin D pills for 50 SEK and 199 SEK in two different ads because he "bought too many". God bless him.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is that one of those FMT Teles? Those are purty. Somebody here has the red burst one I think.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

...and the pitch! posted:

Is that one of those FMT Teles? Those are purty. Somebody here has the red burst one I think.

I keep seeing them referred to as FMT Teles, then someone claimed FMT = Flamed Maple Top so I think there's some uncertainty. But yeah, it's one of those, before the production was moved to Indonesia.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Maybe this one is a figured maple top. That's sufficiently vague.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I keep seeing them referred to as FMT Teles, then someone claimed FMT = Flamed Maple Top so I think there's some uncertainty. But yeah, it's one of those, before the production was moved to Indonesia.

It's the FMT Spalted Maple limited edition they did. Congrats on the guitar.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Well worth the wait it appears.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I have it here now and it's lovely.

Carved mahogany body, mahogany set neck, spalted maple top, Seymour Duncan '59 and Pearly Gates humbuckers (coil splittable). It's basically some sort of bastard Fender Les Paul. Love it.

Holy balls that is loving AWESOME! I have both of those pickups (One Pearly Gates with a series/parallel switch which I adore) and two neck '59s in two guitars, one with the same series/parallel switch and I can't say enough about how much I love those pickups. They can be used for so so much, paired with the right amp tones. God drat that's an awesome guitar. I'm really happy for you that it came to you in non-mortem condition.

How does it play? Jesus it's a love at first sight thing when I look at that picture. I hope you post more. Korean-made scares me, so how's the fit and finish?

Nice score, man. I have no idea how much money 3000 SEK is (sounds like a lot!)

Just gorgeous. And those dot marker inlays :swoon: wow

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 26, 2017

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

its curtains for Kevin posted:

You shall not deny the Basie number it’s dominant 5 chord

And that’s not Bb sharp, that’s B flat major, sharp 5, flat 9(2)

Yeah, the flat 9 of Bb is Cb, which is enharmonic to B.

Like you've got Bb, D, F#, Cb as opposed to A#, D, F#, B

I mean if you were having 4 violins playing those two chords they'd sound a little different, but on a guitar or a keyboard they're gonna be the same thing.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Gibson: A Terrible Company for Terrible People

I was looking back at this photo and looking at that Explorer now, all I can think of is the impending broken headstock or headstocks.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Makes me feel even better about my AliExplorer, all hail our new Chinese overlords

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the flat 9 of Bb is Cb, which is enharmonic to B.

Like you've got Bb, D, F#, Cb as opposed to A#, D, F#, B

I mean if you were having 4 violins playing those two chords they'd sound a little different, but on a guitar or a keyboard they're gonna be the same thing.

Sure. The only reason to notate it like that is because Eb minor (lol) has 6 flats in it and if you notate it as B, it would have to be written as an accidental, and you should avoid doing that unless it’s actually outside the key. It’s also not F#, but Gb. The second chord you made would be notated as B min with a maj 7, or possibly D+/B, which could also be interpreted as D+Add6. While a functionally identical sound, the second arrangement of notes doesn’t really belong in a flat key, and are both weird and bizarre chords, but more importantly no longer can be the V chord because the Notes are labeled differently.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StickySweater posted:

Gibson: A Terrible Company for Terrible People

I was looking back at this photo and looking at that Explorer now, all I can think of is the impending broken headstock or headstocks.

apparently the most notable product made in tennessee is from a company founded somewhere else whose quality took a massive nosedive after moving production there

i guess in that respect it was either gonna be guitars or cars