Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
did my first bjj class last night. loving ruled. it was a nogii, but i want to give the gii a shot, what are some decent brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I have been very happy with my Fugi gi. Was like $100 bucks and I think it looks like a great standard gi. Some gis just look really cheap or have a lot of weird stitching. It did shrink a fair amount though the first time I put it through a dryer. So you should hang dry it if the one you buy fits perfect out of the bag. Maybe buy a size larger if you want to use your dryer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fuji is what I bought when I wanted to get my SO a nice gi, but when I spend my money on myself I get white Jaeyfo brand gis because they're dirt cheap and good enough, it's what my gym uses for loaners.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

did my first bjj class last night. loving ruled. it was a nogii, but i want to give the gii a shot, what are some decent brands?

If you are in Canada BC Kimonos is good.

Also congrats on doing your first class!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have like 6 fuji gis of different models. Their lowest-end BJJ gi is absolutely $/$ one of the best gis you can get. That $100 basic gi will last you forever, even if it's not the slickest/nicest looking gi. Bamboo Break is another extremely good cheaper gi.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Yup, can't go wrong with a Fuji, and there's a solid no-frills brand on Amazon named "Your Jiu Jitsu Gear" that's definitely made in the same factories as some more expensive ones. I'd suggest asking someone at your gym who's about your size if you can try on one of theirs before class to get a feel for the sizing and ask them how they dry it; as mentioned above, putting them in the dryer will usually shrink them a bit, for better or worse. I've found that effect to be more dramatic the more lightweight the weave is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also, I started washing and drying my GIs separately on "low" and haven't had any issues with shrinking, which definitely did happen with my earlier GIs. Since the GI load is only three sets of GIs it still gets completely dry on low but doesn't seem to get hot enough to shrink.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
We were drilling sweeps last night.. I forgot the name of the guard/sweep. It's the one where you get a cross sleeve grip, post one foot on the hip and the other foot behind the other leg's knee, and then grab the ankle and push them back with the foot on the hip.

During positional sparring when I was the one standing and trying to pass my opponent would get my ankle hooked up against their body while trying to get their legs in position. My defense was to pivot 180 degrees and pull my foot out and then re-engage. Is that a stupid thing to do long-term or is it a legitimate way to escape the grip?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

laxbro posted:

We were drilling sweeps last night.. I forgot the name of the guard/sweep. It's the one where you get a cross sleeve grip, post one foot on the hip and the other foot behind the other leg's knee, and then grab the ankle and push them back with the foot on the hip.

During positional sparring when I was the one standing and trying to pass my opponent would get my ankle hooked up against their body while trying to get their legs in position. My defense was to pivot 180 degrees and pull my foot out and then re-engage. Is that a stupid thing to do long-term or is it a legitimate way to escape the grip?

Tripod sweep? It's okay to turn out no gi and when they have no grips. If they have a strong cross sleeve grip, you'll be in a pretty compromised position

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Tripod sweep? It's okay to turn out no gi and when they have no grips. If they have a strong cross sleeve grip, you'll be in a pretty compromised position

Tripod sweep sounds right. I would turn and pull my foot out after breaking the sleeve grip.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

laxbro posted:

Tripod sweep sounds right. I would turn and pull my foot out after breaking the sleeve grip.

Rotating to break an ankle grip when your foot's placed their stomach is quite legit I'd think, you don't want to mess around vs Estima Lock or Aoki Lock (depending on which direction your foot's pointing)

e: I misread and thought you were the bottom player here. Still very legit to break early ankle grips when your partner's the one on bottom!

Marcelo Garcia has a good video on some of that, demonstrated in no-gi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_6Pj5ycS6I

Basically the anti-leg-entanglement version of the classic JUST WALK OUT https://mobile.twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1125839557352742913

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 12, 2022

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Make sure the pants are not comprised of just cotton; have some kind of ripstop material.

I'm going to recommend Hunter. Fuji makes very good Kimonos but I straight up had a pair on bottoms rip completely across my rear end a couple of months back. The Hunter pants have held up really well. Its almost like burlap but they are comfy. Also the drawstring owns on these. This is the one I have, its held up really well:

https://hunterfightwear.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109

spacetoaster posted:

My teenage daughter was attacked at school yesterday (another girl ran up to her hand grabbed her hair) and she Osoto Gari'd the girl hard as hell and then got top mount to hold her down until the teacher came over.

The teacher informed be that it looked like some "badass ninja poo poo" and my daughter isn't in trouble because the girl attacked her and the school is taking the stance that my daughter restrained the girl.

What I'm saying is kids who've done BJJ since they were in the single digit ages are terrifying as teenagers that are very comfortable beating your rear end.

This is awesome!

My 11 year old is becoming a serious terror on the mat. There is this golden period between when they are little and when they become teenagers that you see them just take off with their skills.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

laxbro posted:

In general, you should be very careful about making big rotational movements when your lower leg is trapped in place and unable to rotate with the rest of your body or you risk blowing out your own knee. It's possible to get away with this kind of thing for a while if you're flexible or not used to people who can *really* lock your foot down, but you're playing with fire, and there are some safer alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_URqnRdCHM

Galvao shows a couple options here. The first one (until 1:20) involves a little bit of rotation, but a lot less than 180 degrees. The second one (from 1:20 to 2:20) is a little counterintuitive but very effective, and it doesn't put your knee in any danger. Aside from the risk of self-injury, rotating that far exposes your back to the bottom person, which opens up several back takes for them (especially in the gi, when they have a bunch of grips available to yank you down). When you step back that far, you're basically fast-forwarding yourself to the 2:00 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VvssgliEfk

This is another solid option for dealing with the ankle grip if it's on your pants, but it requires some familiarity with HQ/windshield wiper passing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8pryoayRBY

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Nestharken posted:

In general, you should be very careful about making big rotational movements when your lower leg is trapped in place and unable to rotate with the rest of your body or you risk blowing out your own knee. It's possible to get away with this kind of thing for a while if you're flexible or not used to people who can *really* lock your foot down, but you're playing with fire, and there are some safer alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_URqnRdCHM

Galvao shows a couple options here. The first one (until 1:20) involves a little bit of rotation, but a lot less than 180 degrees. The second one (from 1:20 to 2:20) is a little counterintuitive but very effective, and it doesn't put your knee in any danger. Aside from the risk of self-injury, rotating that far exposes your back to the bottom person, which opens up several back takes for them (especially in the gi, when they have a bunch of grips available to yank you down). When you step back that far, you're basically fast-forwarding yourself to the 2:00 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VvssgliEfk

This is another solid option for dealing with the ankle grip if it's on your pants, but it requires some familiarity with HQ/windshield wiper passing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8pryoayRBY

Awesome feedback. Thanks! Really want to make sure I'm not forming bad habits as a terrible white belt so this is very helpful. We'll be drilling this again tonight so I'll have the chance to try these out.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Gordon is offering NFTs (101 of them) for the low, low price of $3k a piece with access to all of Ryans instructional going forward.

https://opensea.io/collection/king-gordon-ryan

So essentially you are buying all of Ryan's instructionals (however many he decides to make going forward), and a digital lithograph(?). Maybe someone can explain to me how this is a good deal.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

laxbro posted:

Awesome feedback. Thanks! Really want to make sure I'm not forming bad habits as a terrible white belt so this is very helpful. We'll be drilling this again tonight so I'll have the chance to try these out.

To clarify, backstepping isn't automatically a bad idea (assuming your foot isn't trapped, of course), you just need to be aware of the risks. Your main focus when rolling should be trying to hit the moves you've been taught, but there's also a lot of value in being experimental and just trying random poo poo to see if something works, as long as there isn't a risk of injuring yourself or your partner by doing so.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Gordon is offering NFTs (101 of them) for the low, low price of $3k a piece with access to all of Ryans instructional going forward.

https://opensea.io/collection/king-gordon-ryan

So essentially you are buying all of Ryan's instructionals (however many he decides to make going forward), and a digital lithograph(?). Maybe someone can explain to me how this is a good deal.

NFTs are content-free DRM. Gordon is promising to supply content, in the form of Lifetime* Memberships, to go along with the token's jpeg in an extra convoluted, extra inefficient way. If there's no planned secondary market scams/promotions/etc, then this could be relatively inoffensive — i.e. not worse than the baseline terribleness of crypto BS and NFTs in general — and hopefully it's only being done as a minor promotional stunt. On the other hand, NFTs exist to paint a thin layer of justification over the predatory speculative planet-killing gambling that is crypto, so even this baseline is still bad!
*not actually lifetime if your computer gets hacked! Or you suffer a data loss! or you transfer the NFT to another address (which implies the need for just a regular membership system too), if that's allowed! Or any number of other modes of failure that these Trust Free Systems expose you to!

Anyway, Nestharken's posts on safety while trying to Just Walk Away are good and important.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Maybe someone can explain to me how this is a good deal.

Not to derail the thread but if anyone is curious to know more about NFTs this is the documentary to watch:

https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

NFT is short for ‘No Funds: Torrent’ and it’s the way you should acquire Gordon Ryan’s instructionals

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

NFT is short for ‘No Funds: Torrent’ and it’s the way you should acquire Gordon Ryan’s instructionals

why would I even want to have him on my screen

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CommonShore posted:

grappling ben shapiro makes good instructionals

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Agreed, I prefer to just torrent the Danaher ones.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

As a palette cleanser, the new Lachlan Giles subscription site submeta.io/@lachlangiles looks very promising. Looks to be structured in a really interesting way, I’ve had a poke around and looked through the free sections, and it looks really high quality. It fulfils a niche somewhere between 3 minute youtube videos and 8 hour instructionals, with most of the topic videos being between the 1 and 2 hour mark. One of the free courses on there is a 30 minute series on finishing the RNC by choking through the face and I learned a lot from it - that sub has always seemed a big weird and magical to me, I’ve never understood the physics of it until now.

He posted a video today where he explained the layout and the methodology:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcSsKVgDUhX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Price is very reasonable, I’ll probably subscribe to it once it’s a bit more fleshed out. He should have called it LGinAction, though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not to derail the thread but if anyone is curious to know more about NFTs this is the documentary to watch:

https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

Thank you for this! Ill admit, I dont know much of NFTs other than Gary Vee yapping about it.

Grace Baiting posted:

NFTs are content-free DRM. Gordon is promising to supply content, in the form of Lifetime* Memberships, to go along with the token's jpeg in an extra convoluted, extra inefficient way.

Im still curious how this is a good deal. Most of his instructionals can be had for under $100 when BJJ fanatics runs their deals.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

As a palette cleanser, the new Lachlan Giles subscription site submeta.io/@lachlangiles looks very promising. Looks to be structured in a really interesting way, I’ve had a poke around and looked through the free sections, and it looks really high quality. It fulfils a niche somewhere between 3 minute youtube videos and 8 hour instructionals, with most of the topic videos being between the 1 and 2 hour mark. One of the free courses on there is a 30 minute series on finishing the RNC by choking through the face and I learned a lot from it - that sub has always seemed a big weird and magical to me, I’ve never understood the physics of it until now.

He posted a video today where he explained the layout and the methodology:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcSsKVgDUhX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Price is very reasonable, I’ll probably subscribe to it once it’s a bit more fleshed out. He should have called it LGinAction, though.

If this is what I think it will end up being, then this will be really cool. I think whats been left out of the training regimen is a way to somehow measure ones growth through a personalized structure, even if Im a little ambivalent as to what that might look like. Watching Danaher videos and rolling might not be enough for the people at higher level belts that want to start really developing their own game.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

He's good at grappling. The way he pressured Couch recently caused me to change how I attack mount and it works so well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just get angry whenever I see him or hear his stupid voice.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I guess there's pros and cons

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I got gassed so goddamn quickly last night during positional sparring. Pretty embarrassing to be gasping for breath 3 minutes into 15 minutes of positional sparring. The white belt I was drilling with was surprisingly strong and experienced so I'm guessing I started panicking with death grips and fast breathing.

I do kettlebells on off days but I'm going to start running a bit on my off days to see if that helps as a short-term fix.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Lachlan Giles website. Looking forward to getting an invite and checking it out.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thank you for this! Ill admit, I dont know much of NFTs other than Gary Vee yapping about it.

Im still curious how this is a good deal. Most of his instructionals can be had for under $100 when BJJ fanatics runs their deals.

It's almost surely not a good deal, especially when accounting for transaction fees and such, and I think disagreement would only come from someone who is somehow supremely confident that THIS speculative jpeg's line will go up to the moon

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

It's almost surely not a good deal, especially when accounting for transaction fees and such, and I think disagreement would only come from someone who is somehow supremely confident that THIS speculative jpeg's line will go up to the moon

Gordon confirmed to me on social media that all the NFTs are basically just copies of each other. He indicated the following:

"the image is the same. But the image isn't what I'm selling. I'm selling lifetime free instructionals as long as you own the nft"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Gordon confirmed to me on social media that all the NFTs are basically just copies of each other. He indicated the following:

"the image is the same. But the image isn't what I'm selling. I'm selling lifetime free instructionals as long as you own the nft"

An NFT actually used as an access token? What madness is this?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This sounds like a pretty normal subscription service made much more complicated by having NFTs as part of it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
NFTs are either the worst fad or I've just crossed into the stage of life where I can't even begin to understand young people stuff at all anymore.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You’re not out of touch, you understand it perfectly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of scams and schemes, we had a wrestler give an impromptu seminar on the single leg and now all of our minds are blown by how much grabbing the ankle really is one weird trick that rolling partners hate.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Wrestling up might be the new meta, but you can stay one step ahead of the game by getting good at sacrifice throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmEyj8DK-yY

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

laxbro posted:

I got gassed so goddamn quickly last night during positional sparring. Pretty embarrassing to be gasping for breath 3 minutes into 15 minutes of positional sparring. The white belt I was drilling with was surprisingly strong and experienced so I'm guessing I started panicking with death grips and fast breathing.

I do kettlebells on off days but I'm going to start running a bit on my off days to see if that helps as a short-term fix.

I do kettlebells (simple & sinister) on off days and thought running would help for me. Turns out it didn't do much for me and neither did riding my bike. HIIT stuff helped a lot more, I think because bjj cardio is up and down instead of constant. I like darebee.com when I can't think of HIIT stuff to do. Guess it could also be done as a running or cycling activity.

Also, positional sparring sounds kind of annoying to me. I don't doubt its effectiveness but after seeing several gyms doing it, I'm glad my gym just does free rolling after drills. JUST LET ME BANG, BRO.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Free rolling is positional sparring starting from open guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

knuthgrush posted:

I do kettlebells (simple & sinister) on off days and thought running would help for me. Turns out it didn't do much for me and neither did riding my bike. HIIT stuff helped a lot more, I think because bjj cardio is up and down instead of constant. I like darebee.com when I can't think of HIIT stuff to do. Guess it could also be done as a running or cycling activity.

Also, positional sparring sounds kind of annoying to me. I don't doubt its effectiveness but after seeing several gyms doing it, I'm glad my gym just does free rolling after drills. JUST LET ME BANG, BRO.

Nice I just hit untimed simple this week. I think I’ll start mixing in more EMOM workouts with burpees and other not fun stuff to try to build up the anaerobic capacity.

As for positional sparring I only go to the 101 classes so I’m sure that’s why they keep the training wheels on. I’m sure the intermediate and competition classes are mostly real rolling.