Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

sicDaniel posted:

Got the game as well. You are apparently further than I am - I just finished the first real "mission" in the desert - how long does it take until the game gets really interesting? I don't like it so far, but will keep playing because of all the people who say it's a fantastic game and because I loved the first Nier. I just don't like the protagonists, I wish they had done what they did with the first Nier and made an alternative characters for the western market. It's way too japanese for me. So far 2B has zero personality and I cannot not see her as a hentai sex robot, the constant pantyshots don't help.

I also had to play the intro mission three effin times because the first time the game wasn't downloaded fully and I would have loved to know in advance that the progress won't be saved at all. Second time I died to the boss and it really sends me all the way back to the very first cinematic, ugh. What a terrible design decision.

It's a good game, bizarrely escalated to 'greatest of all time' status by a bunch of crazy goons. Put it on easy and bee-line the main story, you can beat it and have a good experience with how it subverts typical games mechanics in about 20-25 hours. Some crazy people want to play on hard and waste 50 hours of their life on it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't put it on easy... Once you get chips, normal gets boringly easy.

I wouldn't want to play it on hard either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Normal is already insanely easy after like an hour, it really needed something in between that and hard because hard is no fun at all.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
The difficulty of the game didn't really put me off, the combat just didn't feel fluid or responsive or worth doing. I can't fathom how anyone played through the hacking sections without having easy mode on because after the novelty of switching games styles wore off it became tedious.

Its such a great game in terms of presentation, story, characters, themes, mechanics. I'd go as far as calling it special but if anyone said they weren't enjoying it my first piece of advice would be drop the difficulty and try and enjoy the experience which that creates

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Attitude Indicator posted:

I bought XCOM2 some days ago and have given it a couple of sessions. I am really bad at it. The Avatar Project is just coming along swimmingly.

The game is janky on the ps4, but playable. Load times are long, but infrequent so it isn't a problem.
They get worse the longer you've played.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Attitude Indicator posted:

I bought XCOM2 some days ago and have given it a couple of sessions. I am really bad at it. The Avatar Project is just coming along swimmingly.

The game is janky on the ps4, but playable. Load times are long, but infrequent so it isn't a problem. There's a poo poo ton of screen tearing on cutscenes. The game studders and jerks on enemy turns. There's some weird bugs here and there, like the snake-men grab attack which launched both my ranger and the snake deep into a mountain, never to be seen again. The whole game feels like it's on the edge of crashing all the time, but so far it hasn't.

As I mentioned i am bad at it and if anyone has any general pointers and good advice i'm listening.

so the doom clock looks pretty scary but actually provided you have things that can lower the doom clock its never really an issue. assuming this is base game you just need to squeeze as much time as possible out of it before you do something that drops a pip off, because one hour until you lose the game still resets you to the same point as doing it when the clock is nearly full.

the geoscape in vanilla is kind of a "solved" thing and there's an optimal path to doing it which kinda makes the game more boring so i am not gonna share it unless you explicitly ask, but knowing how to milk the clock isn't game breaking and will let you experiment more.

as far as tactical goes grenadiers rule everything around you for the purpose of making stuff easy since they have guaranteed damage and can destroy cover, but the gunner style heavies actually do a ton of damage and get really strong in the later game. gunslinger is probably roughly on par with the snipey side of the tree i dont remember the name of but its effectively much easier to use which makes it way stronger. the assault skill that lets you shoot twice is the most busted rear end poo poo in the game, and swords are kind of lovely in the face of how much stronger and safer shotguns are. moving into melee has the risk of revealing another pod assuming its not the last pod on a mission and has a dumb miss chance, plus some stuff can counter melee. shotguns have a higher hit chance, get a massive critical bonus, and don't need to put you in danger of revealing.

mimic beacons arent as busted as they used to be but they're pretty good for managing a pod you can't safely finish in one round

psions are busted as poo poo but depending on what skill they pop out with might not be useable for awhile. a psion with stasis is useable immediately and insane.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Macarius Wrench posted:

The difficulty of the game didn't really put me off, the combat just didn't feel fluid or responsive or worth doing. I can't fathom how anyone played through the hacking sections without having easy mode on because after the novelty of switching games styles wore off it became tedious.

Its such a great game in terms of presentation, story, characters, themes, mechanics. I'd go as far as calling it special but if anyone said they weren't enjoying it my first piece of advice would be drop the difficulty and try and enjoy the experience which that creates

I used pretty much only hacking for all of route b. It's completely broken.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

9s is my homeboi

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I hacked everything. I liked the minigame tho so that wasn't a problem for me

Sakurazuka posted:

Normal is already insanely easy after like an hour, it really needed something in between that and hard because hard is no fun at all.

more enemy variety would go a long way. it doesn't need to be hard to be fun but there's actually a fair few combat options that you have no reason to know exist, let alone use

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well maybe now Automata sold a couple of million copies Taro can work on a game with an actual budget.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Well maybe now Automata sold a couple of million copies Taro can work on a game with an actual budget.
Without Platinum will the gameplay go back to being bad though?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

is that a rhetorical question

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

The gameplay of automata is sleeker than og nier but just as mindless. The saving grace is the customization. Idgaf what the next game plays like, i'll love it for the story and my homeboy emil

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

The gameplay of automata is sleeker than og nier but just as mindless. The saving grace is the customization. Idgaf what the next game plays like, i'll love it for the story and my homeboy emil
Yeah I agree, the combat was so smooth it felt like melted butter the whole time. And yeah, the gameplay is not why I play Yoko Taro's games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

automata played a billion times better than anything yoko taro has put out before it. the biggest problems, at least in my mind, were the lack of enemy variety and the fact that gameplay options were hidden away in the plugin chips, which would require you to not use something else to even equip. having a skill tree that boiled down to moves from bayonetta/devil may cry would have been cool

being better did make it way more fun to actually go through than, say, drakengard tho, so I care about how good the gamplay is. I care a lot

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Captain Morose posted:

I've actually had this problem too, on both my controllers, using a variety of different headphones. I don't think it's just a hosed up port. Seems to be worst using Netflix, at least for me, but it pops up in games on occasion as well.

Fyi, Renoistic, a system reset seems to fix it. At least temporarily.

Yeah I got this with the new DS4 I got with my Pro. The sound will just cut out for a few seconds and at one point it started having insane input lag. I'll probably just go back and get it exchanged if that's what's really happening.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
If we're going to keep the talk of bad PS2 games, going, Minority Report is hilariously bad. Which makes it amazing when you play with cheats.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Considering the curt/sarcastic responses in the OP FAQ I'm guessing this thread is pretty sick of "help me chose a PS4" posts but prepare yourselves cause I've got one too.

I have a 1080p Plasma and I'm looking at getting a PS4 so I can finally catch up on all the remastered Naughty Dog titles and other PS exclusives from last generation (God of War, LBP etc)

I'll probably pick up FIFA, Madden, a driving game and whatever must haves there are on Sony's version of XBLA.

This probably means I should just get the el cheapo model yeah? Do the titles/types of games I've mentioned benefit much from the Pro models?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think any of those games are going to get a huge bump with a pro. Naughty Dog games tend to get a small boost. That said there are other games that perform a little better with one. The difference is usually pretty marginal. That could change down the line though.

Overall the advice in this thread tends to be, get the pro if the price difference isn't a huge deal because it does have benefits, but you'll get by just fine with a slim. It's not like one is a pile of poo poo and the other is a super computer. That said I like my pro and feel like it was worth buying. I feel like you are future proofing your purchase a bit by going with a pro.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Looten Plunder posted:

Considering the curt/sarcastic responses in the OP FAQ I'm guessing this thread is pretty sick of "help me chose a PS4" posts but prepare yourselves cause I've got one too.

I have a 1080p Plasma and I'm looking at getting a PS4 so I can finally catch up on all the remastered Naughty Dog titles and other PS exclusives from last generation (God of War, LBP etc)

I'll probably pick up FIFA, Madden, a driving game and whatever must haves there are on Sony's version of XBLA.

This probably means I should just get the el cheapo model yeah? Do the titles/types of games I've mentioned benefit much from the Pro models?

I have a 1080p TV. My recommendation is that if you can afford to Pro's extra $100, get one. I had a launch model PS4, and not only is the Pro 10x quieter, but it does perform better. Even in non-optimized games, the boost mode does help smooth things out. Games that previously ran at 30fps with dips down to 20 or 25 now stay hammered at 30fps (or same with native 60FPS games), less stutter, etc. Though, depending on what caused the game to have dips, the Pro may have different effects.

I think on paper the CPU is 30% faster and GPU even more bumped, but actual performance isn't the same bump (obviously), but it can be noticeable if even slightly. Games that are really having issues because of the CPU, that 30% bump may not be enough to achieve full 30/60fps. So don't expect it to be beneficial across the board.

I did notice it in Doom, and same thing with Horizon when I jump between my Pro and the non-Pro I keep in the basement.

Is it night and day difference? no, you really wouldn't be disappointed with the base/slim PS4's performance. But if you don't have a PS4 and the $100 extra isn't a big deal to you in the end, may as well get it for the performance bumps and future proofing for your next TV.

DigitalFoundry has a bunch of videos comparing games on base PS4 and Pro to show performance differences.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 17, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The discussion earlier about plugging in the new model of DS4 made decide to test if it improved the latency on the headphone output as well compared to wireless so I fired up Miku Future Tone and found out that it's just as bad as wireless (running the latency adjustment tool results in +50 or so). So is it just sending the audio signals over the air, or is something other than it being wireless causing the headphone lag?

It isn't such a big deal either way; that's what my optical headphone amp is for. It gets less lag than the TV's speakers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

The discussion earlier about plugging in the new model of DS4 made decide to test if it improved the latency on the headphone output as well compared to wireless so I fired up Miku Future Tone and found out that it's just as bad as wireless (running the latency adjustment tool results in +50 or so). So is it just sending the audio signals over the air, or is something other than it being wireless causing the headphone lag?

It isn't such a big deal either way; that's what my optical headphone amp is for. It gets less lag than the TV's speakers.

Did you switch your controller to "wired" in the PS4 settings?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Did you switch your controller to "wired" in the PS4 settings?
Yeah, and the icon when you plug it in shows it's running in wired mode.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The ceiling displays are not relevant to completing the thing. I believe they are representing the random seed of the puzzles in the area or something like that.

Here are some hints, starting from super-vague to "this is exactly how this section works":
1. Are you trying to solve one of the puzzles and running out of time? Have you tried looking at all the puzzles before starting one?
2. Your assumption that some of the puzzles seem impossible is correct. However, you do have to get past them, so...
3. There is only one puzzle in each set that is actually solvable. Part of the challenge here is quickly assessing which one is the solvable one.
4. Look at all the puzzles for obvious signs that they cannot be completed so you can quickly rule them out. If you see a checkerboard pattern of four squares, for example, that is impossible.

Captain Morose posted:

I've actually had this problem too, on both my controllers, using a variety of different headphones. I don't think it's just a hosed up port. Seems to be worst using Netflix, at least for me, but it pops up in games on occasion as well.

Fyi, Renoistic, a system reset seems to fix it. At least temporarily.

Thanks I'll give it a shot!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and the icon when you plug it in shows it's running in wired mode.

There was already someone that showed results that wired won't improve latency any more than wireless. It's all just preference at this point and just spend some cash on a charger set to organize your controllers and keep them charged.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

There was already someone that showed results that wired won't improve latency any more than wireless. It's all just preference at this point and just spend some cash on a charger set to organize your controllers and keep them charged.
Not even for the controller inputs? How is that even possible? Is whatever Bluetooth trickery they are using stupid fast, or whatever wired protocol they are using stupid slow?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

The Last of Us got a patch as soon as yesterday to fix some embarrassing PS4 Pro issues that still lingered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8H0vOfIL0

Final Fantasy XV also performed worse than on the Slim.

The Pro is more than anything an admission that consoles are being treated like PCs at this point with poor optimization by even the most seasoned developers.

In theory, getting 60 FPS etc is awesome, but a lot of developers are bungling the optimization, which literally leaves the Slim as the superior experience because of abhorrent frame times (aka frame pacing) on the Pro.

There are obviously games that work great on the Pro, but there sure as hell also are games that don't, so it's not an unequivocal upgrade unfortunately due to the piss-poor handling of this 4K nonsense.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not even for the controller inputs? How is that even possible? Is whatever Bluetooth trickery they are using stupid fast, or whatever wired protocol they are using stupid slow?

You have to remember this spec wasn't built in mind from release. These are literally generic USB ports expected for things like headset, charging only or hard drives.

So a little of column A, a little of column B.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
What is the meaning of this unplanned maintenance :argh:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ufarn posted:

The Last of Us got a patch as soon as yesterday to fix some embarrassing PS4 Pro issues that still lingered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8H0vOfIL0

Final Fantasy XV also performed worse than on the Slim.

The Pro is more than anything an admission that consoles are being treated like PCs at this point with poor optimization by even the most seasoned developers.

In theory, getting 60 FPS etc is awesome, but a lot of developers are bungling the optimization, which literally leaves the Slim as the superior experience because of abhorrent frame times (aka frame pacing) on the Pro.

There are obviously games that work great on the Pro, but there sure as hell also are games that don't, so it's not an unequivocal upgrade unfortunately due to the piss-poor handling of this 4K nonsense.

is there any difference between the slim and the unslim unpro?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

is there any difference between the slim and the unslim unpro?
Nah, "Slim" is just my way of saying "non-Pro".

There are always minor differences between models, usually to do with HDDs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Slim and the Pro are the only models Sony is manufacturing right now. The launch-era console is neither slim nor pro and you might still find one lying around on a back shelf somewhere. It's slightly louder and hotter than the slim and probably has worse wifi; there's no reason to go looking for one even if you're already sure you're not springing for a pro.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

haveblue posted:

The Slim and the Pro are the only models Sony is manufacturing right now. The launch-era console is neither slim nor pro and you might still find one lying around on a back shelf somewhere. It's slightly louder and hotter than the slim and probably has worse wifi; there's no reason to go looking for one even if you're already sure you're not springing for a pro.

even when my launch ps4 was relatively new it would whir up some loud rear end disconcerting noises when playing tomb raider. it basically makes that noise non stop with destiny. i've even made sure to clean all the dust out, thats just a feature of launch ps4s i think

ufarn
May 30, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

even when my launch ps4 was relatively new it would whir up some loud rear end disconcerting noises when playing tomb raider. it basically makes that noise non stop with destiny. i've even made sure to clean all the dust out, thats just a feature of launch ps4s i think
Some games just push your console to the limit. The Last of Us made my PS3 freeze on occasion, and the remastered version is pretty hard on it, too. I think U4 was also pretty intensive.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uncharted Lost Legacy made my non-launch-but-still-OG PS4 pretty loud for most of the game

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My 2 weeks old pro sometimes starts the net engine after extended sessions of 2 player Diablo. Also once today after 3 hours of Infamous SS. So I guess if they heat up enough they go loud.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It doesn't seem to be about specific games, from what I've seen. I've never had problems with Diablo, and didn't have any with Infamous. Doom made it go slightly haywire, and it didn't like XCom all that much.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

My launch PS4 fan has never made any audible noise at all. And I don't play the volume especially high either. :spergin:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Weavered posted:

My launch PS4 fan has never made any audible noise at all. And I don't play the volume especially high either. :spergin:

Same. Still hummin along, quiet as ever. I dust her out every 8-12 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My launch PS4 was so loud people complained about it over online games. Finally cracked it open and dusted it after I got a pro so I could sell it and I wish I had done that years earlier. It wasn't even that dusty but when I turned it back on it was like 60% quieter and ran much cooler.

Still even at it's quietest it was never as quiet at my pro which has never made any sort of audible noise for me. That and the wifi upgrade have made it worth the buy.