Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Impel down is so weird. Could it have been built on dry land, one level at a time as the sea rose?

I think a lot of people have speculated on that after the Vegapunk reveal, but yeah Impel Down was originally just something you shrugged off as being an unrealistic thing in a comic about magic pirates but now feels like one of the first big hints that the sea wasn’t always the height it is now and Impel Down was likely a tower and not a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
How's they build the gates of Justice though. Even Oars would be dwarfed by them.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
chapter?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oda One Piece manga rules!!! May he have a good three months off after the saga concludes before launching into his next manga. I kid, five months, but he's gotta have his Sand Land or whatever Vagabond, we gotta live in a world where Oda is always drawing. I mean maybe he can reduce the schedule.

Anyways we love you Oda but we love you to be making 200 more volumes of manga please.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

mikeycp posted:

Then why would gold Roger also put it all in one place, huh smart guy

Last time I checked Roger wasn't World Govt swine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Am I misremembering or was there a giant hole in the ocean water was flowing into around enies lobby

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

mikeycp posted:

chapter?

You gotta post a Simpsons meme when you ask. It’s customary.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Jose posted:

Am I misremembering or was there a giant hole in the ocean water was flowing into around enies lobby

You're not misremembering, a lot of people brought that up when Lulusia got nuked from orbit.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

If the water level is rising just make more holes. Am I the only one thinking around here?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The water flows into the hole, going to the bottom of the ocean and adding more water to it, making the ocean deeper. It's simple science, really.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The water goes to the Blues, then back up Reverse Mountain, and back into the Grand Line there’s no doubt. This is called the hydrological cycle.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wonder if the calm belts will be explained at some point

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Theyre mystery belts

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jose posted:

I wonder if the calm belts will be explained at some point

the original poseidon specifically told all the sea kings to carefully guard the grand line

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm pretty sure the calm belts are just based on the real world phenomenon of horse latitudes/the doldrums, which are similar stretches just north and south of the Equator with weak winds that infamously would lead many sailors to become stranded.

I think the more interesting thing to learn from that would be the origin of the Sea Kings.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 17, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I think all or most of the geography is artificial. The Grand Line and Red Line literally make an X to mark the spot.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm pretty sure the calm belts are just based on the real world phenomenon of horse latitudes/the doldrums, which are similar stretches just north and south of the Equator with weak winds that infamously would lead many sailors to become stranded.

I think the more interesting thing to learn from that would be the origin of the Sea Kings.

That's cool as heck, but calm belt definitely exists to explain why they have to follow a linear path to get to the treasure.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

GodFish posted:

How's they build the gates of Justice though. Even Oars would be dwarfed by them.

Giant robots and gumption

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I think all or most of the geography is artificial. The Grand Line and Red Line literally make an X to mark the spot.

Is the implication here that Nika was SO STRONG that he could literally reshape the world to fit his desires, but somehow couldn't change society?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Gologle posted:

Is the implication here that Nika was SO STRONG that he could literally reshape the world to fit his desires, but somehow couldn't change society?
In all likelihood Nika never existed. The reshaping was done by other means, with Oars "the continent puller" being a leading suspect as to how it was done.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

In all likelihood Nika never existed.

Yeah, Vegapunk's explanation made it sound like Nika was mythical, as opposed to Joy Boy being a real person.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, Vegapunk's explanation made it sound like Nika was mythical, as opposed to Joy Boy being a real person.

Nika exists because people wanted him to exist. I suspect he really was just a legend at first until the devil Fruit made him "real" in a weird way. I mean he incarnates every time someone eats it and he proceeds to perform miracles while he's physical flesh and blood. I also find it really cool that if you take a step back and look at Luffy's motivations and behavior a lot of it boils down to if he personally likes you or you gave him food/an offering. In other words he already unintentionally acts like a deity he just doesn't know or realize it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Gologle posted:

I’ve actually been thinking it’s a bunch of devil fruits:

Pica’s fruit
Island island fruit
Quake fruit
Law’s fruit
Kidd’s fruit (to explain the magnetic fields in the grand line)
A bunch of others

Either the users teamed up or one person was able to get them all and literally reshape the world. Think Nightmare Luffy in Thriller Bark.

Maybe 20 kings with 20 fruits teamed up and channeled their powers through Imu, who then didn’t give the power up. Or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the people of the world dreamed of a living cartoon character who beats up oppressors

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nika is Everett True?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the people of the world dreamed of a living cartoon character who beats up oppressors

yeah his names monkey d puffy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

that’s just how lines work???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The X also very specifically does not mark the spot, unless Laugh Tale is on Reverse Mountain or Fishman Island

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Augus posted:

that’s just how lines work???

Straight lines are pretty unnatural.

Edit to add: I know they aren’t like ruler-straight lines but they are unnaturally consistently straight

Waffleman_ posted:

The X also very specifically does not mark the spot, unless Laugh Tale is on Reverse Mountain or Fishman Island

Believe it

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 17, 2024

rko
Jul 12, 2017
One thing I wonder about—if the sea levels have been rising consistently, is that what Roger meant about being too early? Is it something that’s very obvious when you’re at Laugh Tale?

I’ve seen a lot of theories revolving around astronomical events that cause a super low tide or something, revealing Laugh Tale and giving access to the One Piece, but that’s kind of lame storytelling. Luffy & Co. arriving just in time to take advantage of an eclipse or whatever is annoyingly convenient. But we know it has something to do with timing—that eliminates other annoying ideas like it requiring the Nika fruit to access.

The idea that the One Piece is only accessible when the world is about to be flooded, on the other hand, has much better plot energy. But it’s also harder to imagine how that would work, especially since we don’t really understand where the water’s coming from (“mystery holes”??).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

how can Roger bury his own poo poo on a totally flooded island

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It might be that there's no more water than before, but that the planet is somehow shrinking. Like there's some sort of energy in the planet keeping it kind of inflated, and the more someone (the World Government) taps that energy, the more the planet falls in on itself.

This would explain a number of odd things:

1. A giant laser shot a hole in the ocean and the sea levels rose dramatically. You'd think water would drain into a big hole.

2. While sea levels rose dramatically just now, this is implied to be an ongoing process. People haven't really noticed this for the last 800 years, or at least no one has mentioned it. We saw that it has been happening in the diagrams of old Wano, but if no one felt the need to point it out, then it's probably not been in the form of sudden world-changing shocks, but rather a very slow ongoing process.

3. Vegapunk is not confident that those responsible are evil. Perhaps this energy is being harnessed for a purpose that does benefit people, or supports the social order in some vital way (the current social order is pretty obviously evil, but Vegapunk is clearly not convinced on that front).

There is one odd thing that this doesn't fully explain, but might begin to address- Vegapunk predicted the sudden sea level rise would happen in a few days based on his calculations. Did he calculate that an island would get obliterated when it did? Was that actually just a coincidence? Or did he perhaps know that the energy had been harnessed and calculated the consequences, without knowing what the World Government was going to do with that energy?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Didn't Imu and the 5 planets specifically talk about wiping out the world with a big flood

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I’ve actually been thinking it’s a bunch of devil fruits:

Pica’s fruit
Island island fruit
Quake fruit
Law’s fruit
Kidd’s fruit (to explain the magnetic fields in the grand line)
A bunch of others

Either the users teamed up or one person was able to get them all and literally reshape the world. Think Nightmare Luffy in Thriller Bark.

Maybe 20 kings with 20 fruits teamed up and channeled their powers through Imu, who then didn’t give the power up. Or something.

i was fhinking something similar a while ago. a lot of devil fruits are obviously intended for some particular purpose and utterly failed by their user. kidd has potentially one of the most broken fruits and he uses it to make giant metal hands most of the time. just to mention foxy, whose fruit could be used for a bajillion insane things, or wapol, who may have already inadvertantly discovered the original intended purpose of his fruit

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

rko posted:

One thing I wonder about—if the sea levels have been rising consistently, is that what Roger meant about being too early? Is it something that’s very obvious when you’re at Laugh Tale?

I’ve seen a lot of theories revolving around astronomical events that cause a super low tide or something, revealing Laugh Tale and giving access to the One Piece, but that’s kind of lame storytelling. Luffy & Co. arriving just in time to take advantage of an eclipse or whatever is annoyingly convenient. But we know it has something to do with timing—that eliminates other annoying ideas like it requiring the Nika fruit to access.

The idea that the One Piece is only accessible when the world is about to be flooded, on the other hand, has much better plot energy. But it’s also harder to imagine how that would work, especially since we don’t really understand where the water’s coming from (“mystery holes”??).

Doesn't the same flashback also have the Mermaid prophet saying Poseidon would be born in a specific number of years? I still think that's what Roger meant.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Eiba posted:

It might be that there's no more water than before, but that the planet is somehow shrinking. Like there's some sort of energy in the planet keeping it kind of inflated, and the more someone (the World Government) taps that energy, the more the planet falls in on itself.

This would explain a number of odd things:

1. A giant laser shot a hole in the ocean and the sea levels rose dramatically. You'd think water would drain into a big hole.

2. While sea levels rose dramatically just now, this is implied to be an ongoing process. People haven't really noticed this for the last 800 years, or at least no one has mentioned it. We saw that it has been happening in the diagrams of old Wano, but if no one felt the need to point it out, then it's probably not been in the form of sudden world-changing shocks, but rather a very slow ongoing process.

3. Vegapunk is not confident that those responsible are evil. Perhaps this energy is being harnessed for a purpose that does benefit people, or supports the social order in some vital way (the current social order is pretty obviously evil, but Vegapunk is clearly not convinced on that front).

There is one odd thing that this doesn't fully explain, but might begin to address- Vegapunk predicted the sudden sea level rise would happen in a few days based on his calculations. Did he calculate that an island would get obliterated when it did? Was that actually just a coincidence? Or did he perhaps know that the energy had been harnessed and calculated the consequences, without knowing what the World Government was going to do with that energy?

It would be a possible explanation for the giants and Big Hat if people had been getting smaller in fits and starts along with the land mass but not universally I guess?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eiba posted:

Tbh I kinda just think this part is him assuming on recording that he’d be executed by a CP9 squad or some other arm of the navy blindly following orders rather than more or less an Elder Star directly demanding it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ThingOne posted:

How it started:
How it's going:

this has me cracking up

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

tbp posted:

this has me cracking up

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1791635901828973021

Exceptionally good mug