Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Thanks for the tips goons! I'll keep my eyes open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m completely biased, but if you’re going to get a license to ride a scooter you should get an elite/helix 250. They are the perfect sweet spot of “big enough for the freeway”, “old/common/not Italian enough to be cheap” and “Honda reliability”.

There are cheaper scooters, but they aren’t as fast or capable, there are faster, better scooters, but they are much more expensive.

One of us!! One of us!!!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there are faster, better scooters, but they are much more expensive.

How much is "much more"?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dagen H posted:

How much is "much more"?

Well, again, I’m not a good example but that burgman is $1400 more than I paid for my elite.

Note: my experience is not typical, consult your physician

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah, I'm finding hundred-dollar scooters to be a bit thin on the ground.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha I know. Elites and helixes are generally cheap. That burgman is exceptionally cheap.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m completely biased, but if you’re going to get a license to ride a scooter you should get an elite/helix 250. They are the perfect sweet spot of “big enough for the freeway”, “old/common/not Italian enough to be cheap” and “Honda reliability”.

There are cheaper scooters, but they aren’t as fast or capable, there are faster, better scooters, but they are much more expensive.

One of us!! One of us!!!

They're also 10-30 years old. Even Hondas are at risk of some issues at that point, whether from previous owner neglect or general wear. I feel like most of the '80s Elites I see for sale have been sitting in garages for a decade, which means - at best -
having to take care of a lot of deferred maintenance. My understanding is Elite 250 parts are pretty scarce these days, too; unsurprising given that it was a 4 year model last sold 29 years ago. (Motor/drivetrain parts should all be available thanks to the Helix, though.) And they have no underseat storage!

Helixes solve 2 of those problems (made until '06 and have a big trunk) but are also roughly the length of a '70s Cadillac. While they'd be great if you had a rural highway commute they'd probably be a pain in the rear end in the city.

So I guess it really depends on what Rubber Slug is after and how they intend to use their scooter!

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Well I guess I want something that's easy to learn on, can get up hills, and is inexpensive. I do like the idea of having some storage available, too. I don't plan to ride on freeways at all, so a top speed under 45-50 mph is fine.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I highly recommend a 50cc 2 stroke with some variator mods and a 70cc kit. That's my main ride for commuting around the city - mainly because it doesn't need license plates and can be parked on the sidewalks or anywhere a bicycle can park. Around here, where these are wildly popular, it would be easy to find a clean stock one to mod for under $800 or a fully modded one for around $1400. It will rip up hills and accelerate up to 40 mph in no time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In AZ, and ID, and any other state I've lived, even 49cc needs a license and registration, unless it has pedals as "primary mode of locomotion." I've heard of some states that let 50ccs by, but not those two.

I sold my C3 to a guy with no license due to a DUI. I was like "bro, you still need a license and plates" but he started arguing with me, insisting that 50cc didn't need them, and I didn't want to lose the sale so I just shut up. A few weeks later he wanted to sell it back to pay for court bills due to it being impounded because no plates, but there's a reason I use burner numbers and didn't update the old address on the title.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

In AZ, and ID, and any other state I've lived, even 49cc needs a license and registration, unless it has pedals as "primary mode of locomotion." I've heard of some states that let 50ccs by, but not those two.

I sold my C3 to a guy with no license due to a DUI. I was like "bro, you still need a license and plates" but he started arguing with me, insisting that 50cc didn't need them, and I didn't want to lose the sale so I just shut up. A few weeks later he wanted to sell it back to pay for court bills due to it being impounded because no plates, but there's a reason I use burner numbers and didn't update the old address on the title.

In Colorado you need a drivers license but no plates. If your state requires plates then don't get a 50.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ohio is like this. If it's two-wheeled and has an engine, it's a motorcycle. Except mopeds, defined as 50cc or less, has pedals that work, and surprisingly needs plated in this state.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

rally posted:

I highly recommend a 50cc 2 stroke with some variator mods and a 70cc kit. That's my main ride for commuting around the city - mainly because it doesn't need license plates and can be parked on the sidewalks or anywhere a bicycle can park. Around here, where these are wildly popular, it would be easy to find a clean stock one to mod for under $800 or a fully modded one for around $1400. It will rip up hills and accelerate up to 40 mph in no time.

Yeah that is not the case here in WA, either, and I doubt it's the case in California where Rubber Slug is on.

And $1400 gets you a nice 125-150cc, too, which will do 55 and not be as temperamental as a kitted 50cc 2-stroke... though it will also be heavier and less wheelie-happy.

Rubber Slug my usual recommendations still apply, stuff like a Yamaha Vino 125 or Genuine Buddy 125/150 should be fairly cheap and mechanically simple (both are carbureted). Yamaha Zuma 125s are great, too (my bias, I have one) but slightly more complicated to work on with fuel injection, but you'll almost definitely never have to worry about that.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dagen H posted:

Regulator/rectifier?

Yes, it turned out to be CDI ignition module. Is there an easy test for it? like, put voltage on it and see if I get more out of it? or does it require triggering somehow?
There is something else next to the CDI, I do not recognize, and there is no writing on it. Also (the unidentified black box) seems like it has a small switch that has been glommed with silicone.

Is that black plastic box on the right of the CDI box, , a security thing? or something else?

Troubleshooting status: Plug super oil fouled, cleaned and tested, no spark when grounded to frame. Tested with ignition switched on, battery charger hooked up in leui of battery.
I can't find a manual or wiring diagram yet. Any hints where to find them online?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

rally posted:

I rode a Roughhouse with a 70 kit and variator mod once, thing would pull fuckin wheelies. Crazy poo poo bro.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

some_admin posted:

I can't find a manual or wiring diagram yet. Any hints where to find them online?
Photo of transmission side of engine? That may help at least narrow down the type.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I’ll get. Pictures of

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Photo of transmission side of engine? That may help at least narrow down the type.

I’ll get pics of transmission next warm snap , plus my legs are acting up wtf. Might be a bit.
Dirty and greasy as heck too. Oil injection might be turned all the way up to rust-proof.
I’m astonished at how many screws are involved in bodywork.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so I found out about motocompos(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqK66GtPrIA&t=150s) the other day, and being the owner of a 2017 CR-V, I find myself wishing for a foldaway motorbike or scooter I could let live in my trunk sometimes

is there no market for this? it seems so nice

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Although obviously not nearly as cool as a Motocompo, those folding electric bikes probably fill the same niche.

I've always wondered about the fuel smell in those cars. If you park in the sun on a hot day are you going to gas yourself when you get back in?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 5, 2017

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

open24hours posted:

Although obviously not nearly as cool as a Motocompo, those folding electric bikes probably fill the same niche.

I've always wondered about the fuel smell in those cars. If you park in the sun on a hot day are you going to gas yourself when you get back in?

... you mean like an URB-E? besides sharing a name with a hilarious BattleTech mech these things are hideous! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyWkqWJh6Ss

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

rincewind101 posted:

... you mean like an URB-E? besides sharing a name with a hilarious BattleTech mech these things are hideous!

Don’t take the name of our Space Trash Can in vain.

Also the URB-E is a heck of an idea to augment public transit that has pretty much zero use cases in the US because we have no public transit. :haw: God, I’d love to be able to take a train to work and just have a fun car/motorcycle for the weekends, but I’m stuck in the US (and by extension, ever-expanding traffic jams) for life.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

rincewind101 posted:

so I found out about motocompos(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqK66GtPrIA&t=150s) the other day, and being the owner of a 2017 CR-V, I find myself wishing for a foldaway motorbike or scooter I could let live in my trunk sometimes

is there no market for this? it seems so nice

If you find yourself the owner of a Fiat 500, or something, you can get the Italian version:

Italjet Pack. It was in MoMA.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

rincewind101 posted:

... you mean like an URB-E? besides sharing a name with a hilarious BattleTech mech these things are hideous!

I was thinking of the slightly bigger ones, but that would work too. As all the real ones seem to be made by noname companies, here's a BMW concept.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 6, 2017

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My Puch stator and CDI conversion kit *finally* came in, and I ordered a replacement gasket set off ebay. I'm going to try and get as much of a head start on this season as I can since I never even got it running last year.

I might have to figure out a homebrew CDI/ignition system because my options right now are source another stator + flywheel or just keep buying CDIs every 150km as they apparently burn out.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So my parking garage space neighbors moved out and left a (likely not running) Chinese scooter behind. It's been over a month and nobody has claimed it. Is it worth trying to get it running or would it end up costing more than it's worth?

Primary question right now is that it's electric start and obviously there's no key around so I would have to take it to a locksmith for a copy right?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

net work error posted:

So my parking garage space neighbors moved out and left a (likely not running) Chinese scooter behind. It's been over a month and nobody has claimed it. Is it worth trying to get it running or would it end up costing more than it's worth?

Primary question right now is that it's electric start and obviously there's no key around so I would have to take it to a locksmith for a copy right?

You'd also need to get a title somehow, which could be a roadblock, since you have no legal claim to the vehicle.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Peristalsis posted:

You'd also need to get a title somehow, which could be a roadblock, since you have no legal claim to the vehicle.

Also a good point. It looks like it's a Stephanie scooter which some quick Google searching tells me is a 150cc GY6. I guess I'll leave it alone and let another interested person take a look.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Comedy option part out the gy6 to a Honda Ruckus owner.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
There's probably some kind of process for claiming abandoned goods in your state. I know here the landlord has to post an abandoned notice and notify the owners in writing a few times. If they don't respond in X days then it's considered to be abandoned. I'm not sure how it works with scooters. I do know crashed scooters are really cheap, and usually have titles...

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

What's the Goon Opinion on this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Owns. Highly recommended. Full disclosure: I love Elites.

I’m wondering what they spent $400 on that they only expect to last for 1000 miles?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
hella rad

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Seller stopped responding. :argh:

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Someone in Olympia has a red Elite150 AND a Reflex 250 for sale, wants $1200 for both.

Called her up, she doesn't have the titles or the keys.

:negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ffffffff.

Offer her 600 for the both of them given this new information. Getting Vermont titles and eBay locksets is worth it if you can get the scooters cheap enough.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Is that truth or is this one of those things people on the internet say? Like "Don't spend thousands of dollars at a paint shop, just use roll-on Rustoleum for your car project. Yeah you have to wet sand a few times but it's worth the savings."

Also, Seattle seems to be FULL of Elite 250s. I see a different one about two times a week. I had no idea what one even looked like before moving here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is what true? Vermont titles?

I did a Vermont title for my Elite 250 that I bought for $100 with no title. I also had to buy an ignition/steering lock and key for it because the OP lost the key and then screwdrivered the ignition cylinder.

Now, if I had paid $1500 for that scooter, I’d expect a title, keys, and all accoutrements obviously. But there definitely is a point where Vermont titles and other tomfoolery makes sense when the vehicle in question is cheap enough to make up for it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 19, 2018

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
I guess I meant the keysets.

I've watched a few videos that show how to replace them, but the people in the videos all had the keys to begin with. How do I get into a locked seat?

I may go take a look at them this weekend, although there's another CH150 in Portland with a popup light hrrrrnngh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can definitely get into a scooter with a locked seat. I don’t know how it is on the 150, but in the 250 you can grab the lock cable with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull and it unlocks.

Please do not use this information for evil purposes.

As for the titles, just check to make sure the VIN doesn’t come back stolen and you’re good to get one from Vermont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

I have joined the Legion.