Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

At what point did the Google Play Music miniplayer app start requiring you to have an actual Google Play Music tab open in Chrome to work? That seems pretty useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

It looks like they've gotten rid of a lot of right click options on stuff, is this a thing I can revert?

I couldn't find anything that worked that didn't look sketchy. I've had to resort to Firefox for that, where it's buried in the about :config stuff now instead of a preference.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Every time I close Chrome, it logs me out of everything - even though I've set it to sync, I've resynced, but for whatever reason it won't keep me logged in. This started last week when a Windows update came in, but otherwise I haven't changed anything - no new extensions, nothing. I'm the only person who uses this PC so it's annoying to have to relog in to everything every time I need to reboot or update Chrome, any ideas would be awesome.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Every time I close Chrome, it logs me out of everything - even though I've set it to sync, I've resynced, but for whatever reason it won't keep me logged in. This started last week when a Windows update came in, but otherwise I haven't changed anything - no new extensions, nothing. I'm the only person who uses this PC so it's annoying to have to relog in to everything every time I need to reboot or update Chrome, any ideas would be awesome.

If it's when you shut down / logout, I'd guess you were somehow using a roaming profile? That clears the local folder independent of anything else.
If it's definitely when you exit chrome you have something clearing the cookies.
If it's sporadic when still using it, then you aren't storing them at all.

C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\UserData\Default\ is the default path, you can open this, verify they're being saved there, and then look into what is clearing them.
Also chrome://settings/cookies and verify you haven't changed them to not store

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That was probably it, cookies settings changed on me. Thanks!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Small text on some sites looks pretty crappy in Chrome compared to Firefox. Too skinny and unclear. Help?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PirateBob posted:

Small text on some sites looks pretty crappy in Chrome compared to Firefox. Too skinny and unclear. Help?

take a screen shot and post an example if possible, but other then that maybe toggle directwrite in the ://flags page

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
When someone types certain emojis or unicode characters they display in Chrome like this:

I'm using Windows 7. Does anyone know why this would be? For reference, this is what they look like in Firefox:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jewel Repetition posted:

When someone types certain emojis or unicode characters they display in Chrome like this:

I'm using Windows 7. Does anyone know why this would be? For reference, this is what they look like in Firefox:

Windows 7 itself supports UTF-16 (although I don't know how well it supports the tricks in play to support characters above U+FFFF), but whatever typeface you're using in Chrome and Firefox doesn't. I know Windows 10 does (I should hope so) but I don't know if Chrome and Firefox's default fonts do; I set up browsers to default to Noto when I can.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Lol. I completely forgot there was such a thing as a Home button. I've had it disabled for years.

Anyway, that works perfectly, thanks.
Even better, just press Alt+Home, no need to click.

Sonata Mused posted:

Is there really anything for Chrome on android for content blocking? A few sites I go to have those dumb ads that keep redirecting me to the Play Store.
Well there's AdBlock for Android. It works by acting as a proxy server on the device, and you adjust your wifi connection to use that proxy server; thereby filtering ads. Clumsy compared to a browser plugin, but it works somewhat decently.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Is there anything that tells me what Chrome is waiting for? I'm not sure if it's extensions or normal internet but various pages on forums.somethingawful.com don't load. It just stays in 'waiting for data from forums.somethingawful.com'. Before, I narrowed it down to my Evernote extension by disabling extensions one-by-one but it's happening again and there has got to be a better way to find out why it's doing that..

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Press ctrl-shift-i to open the console thing. Then go to the Timeline tab.

Press ctrl-r to reload the page and have it record stuff.

Once that is done click on the aggregated details tab at the bottom and you can see the different things that loaded, extensions, time taken, etc.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

More and more websites have the terrible idea to simulate a smooth scrolling effect. I've got my smooth scrolling flag disabled in chrome, is there a plug in or setting or something that can kill off this unwanted menace when it comes through as part of the page's script?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Looking for an extension that will let me search a page for any matches on a pre-defined list, sort of a keywords detector.
For example, let's say my pre-defined lists contains "apple" and "orange". I load a page with thousands of words, and if "apple" or "orange" are found, they will be highlighted (or some way of finding them easily).

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Do you want to do this on every page you browse, or some specified set? The latter you can do with regex, the former I'm not so sure about.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Slowhanded posted:

Do you want to do this on every page you browse, or some specified set?
Good question :) I want it only on a handful of pages. I imagine it being a toggleable thing, kinda like a ctrl+f, but I tell it to search from my keywords instead of from what I type into the searchbox.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I've been getting an error everytime I try to run Netflix on chrome. Netflix keeps saying I need to update widevine, however whenever I try to update Chrome returns an "unable to update" message . Has anyone else had this issue with Chrome?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So I was an idiot when I bought an old gen 1 iPad, didn't do my research, and it can't run Chrome at all. Is there any way to fix that or is the browser just not supported?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It wouldn't run acceptably anyway - its barely usable on my iPad 4.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

It wouldn't run acceptably anyway - its barely usable on my iPad 4.

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better. :) I take it there's no easy way to use all my saved Chrome bookmarks and passwords as some import into Safari?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I've been getting an error everytime I try to run Netflix on chrome. Netflix keeps saying I need to update widevine, however whenever I try to update Chrome returns an "unable to update" message . Has anyone else had this issue with Chrome?
This isn't much help, but I had this problem once and after weeks of googling I only fixed it by reinstalling windows.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

This is probably the background service doing something wonky; the easiest remedy would be to cleanly uninstall, and reinstall? Your Google account will bring everything over so it's little hassle.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better. :) I take it there's no easy way to use all my saved Chrome bookmarks and passwords as some import into Safari?

For bookmarks apple have there own chrome extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-bookmarks/fkepacicchenbjecpbpbclokcabebhah?hl=en-US

For passwords easiest to switch to 1password or lastpass.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bioalchemist posted:

For bookmarks apple have there own chrome extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-bookmarks/fkepacicchenbjecpbpbclokcabebhah?hl=en-US

For passwords easiest to switch to 1password or lastpass.

Please don't save passwords in Chrome even if you aren't worried about cross-browser sync.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I installed a bunch of extensions in the past week, and suddenly when I click on NewEgg, MicrosoftStore, and other merchant links, they are getting momentarily intercepted by sites like "cheapito.com". I assume one of these extensions is skimming for referrals, but the annoying thing is it seems to redirect consistently, so it's making it very hard to narrow things down. It's only in Chrome.

The stuff I've been running a while now:

- AdBlock (not plus)
- AlwaysSmile
- CommentSave
- FlashControl
- The Great Suspender
- HTTPS Everywhere

The newer extensions I'm running are:

- Hide My AdBlocker
- Page Eraser
- Removes Taboola
- Shut Up
- Word Replacer II

Anything setting off any red flags for carrying redirection malware? Is anything depreciated or better handled by more established plugins so I can consolidate and reign these in?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Google search reveals that its "hide my adblocker" causing the redirection

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Correctamundo, I just found that in the reviews for it, it it seems to be the case. Thanks!

Does anyone know of any other extension that blocks the "turn off your adblocker" nag screens? I take the scorched earth approach everywhere but SA.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know of any other extension that blocks the "turn off your adblocker" nag screens? I take the scorched earth approach everywhere but SA.

How about drop Adblock and use uBlock Origin, which has the following as anti-adblock killer as a subscription option. Or you can use the script itself here if you are still enamored with Adblock.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Correctamundo, I just found that in the reviews for it, it it seems to be the case. Thanks!

Use uBlock Origin. When one of those "turn off your adblocker" things come up, click the uBlock icon in your toolbar, click the eyedropper in the resulting menu, and then mouse around the webpage until the offending adblock-blocker is highlighted and...block it. (You click it and then provided it is the page element you wanted, click "Create" in the window in the bottom right that shows you the code for the page element. You can use * as a wildcard. It's great.)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

Use uBlock Origin. When one of those "turn off your adblocker" things come up, click the uBlock icon in your toolbar, click the eyedropper in the resulting menu, and then mouse around the webpage until the offending adblock-blocker is highlighted and...block it. (You click it and then provided it is the page element you wanted, click "Create" in the window in the bottom right that shows you the code for the page element. You can use * as a wildcard. It's great.)

Thanks, I seem to be doing pretty well with uBlock on desktop Chrome. I don't like that it'll literally block me from entering legit pages, I imagine there's a toggle for that somewhere.

Does anyone know if there's a way to cross-sync my Chrome history/passwords with Firefox? I figure I'll try Firefox on Android for uBlock as well, but I rely on a lot of auto-fills from Chrome.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks, I seem to be doing pretty well with uBlock on desktop Chrome. I don't like that it'll literally block me from entering legit pages, I imagine there's a toggle for that somewhere.

Does anyone know if there's a way to cross-sync my Chrome history/passwords with Firefox? I figure I'll try Firefox on Android for uBlock as well, but I rely on a lot of auto-fills from Chrome.

Use an actual password manager; storing them in the browser is a really bad idea.
I think most (all?) of them support firefox and chrome.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Zero VGS posted:

No, not uBlock. Get uBlock Origin.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Whizbang posted:

No, not uBlock. Get uBlock Origin.

That's what I meant... I didn't know there was even a non-origin uBlock, I'm using origin on Windows and Android.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Zero VGS posted:

That's what I meant... I didn't know there was even a non-origin uBlock, I'm using origin on Windows and Android.

The whole reason it's called Origin is the original developer retired, gave the code away, didn't like the way the new developer was handling it, and unretired, thus prompting the name change.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
How do I stop Chrome opening some poo poo rear end Hangouts thing when I click on a phone number?

Edit: It only happens if I've searched google for a contact number: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2364884/call-businesses-right-from-googles-search-results-page-with-hangouts.html

I just want to be able to double click to select text instead of click and drag, ffs.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hello Chrome thread. I got a new laptop with 1080p display and I have to use 110% zoom to make sites comfortable to read. Problem is that I also use my laptop connected to 1680x1050 monitor a lot where 110% zoom is too big.
Is there extension that automatically adjust zoom depending on desktop resolution? Can extensions even get that information?
I found extension called Zoomy, but it's buggy and not very configurable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ctrl + + zooms from 100-110%
Ctrl + - zooms from 110-100%
Ctrl + 0 resets

e: to be clear, the zoom just steps in 10% increments, I'm just saying you need to simply press those 2 shortcuts to toggle yourself.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Khablam posted:

Ctrl + + zooms from 100-110%
Ctrl + - zooms from 110-100%
Ctrl + 0 resets

e: to be clear, the zoom just steps in 10% increments, I'm just saying you need to simply press those 2 shortcuts to toggle yourself.

I don't know any other ways to zoom in Chrome besodes that and Ctrl + mousewheel so that's how I've been doing it so far
I'd like it to be automated, it's annoyng to have to zoom every website I visit in and out 4 times per day.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Huh.

I was sure it used to persist in the tab when I used to use it, but there must have been an extension I was using at the time which bound it.
I'm unaware of an extension that will read your resolution and change zoom, you can however (win 8 & 10) set DPI per display, so you can simply boost the overall scaling of your small screen to a level you find comfortable. This will help you across all programs that use windows font scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Khablam posted:

Huh.

I was sure it used to persist in the tab when I used to use it, but there must have been an extension I was using at the time which bound it.
I'm unaware of an extension that will read your resolution and change zoom, you can however (win 8 & 10) set DPI per display, so you can simply boost the overall scaling of your small screen to a level you find comfortable. This will help you across all programs that use windows font scaling.

I have DPI scaling set at 125%, that makes most programs comfortably sized, but often blurry. Chrome isn't blurry, but sites still remain a bit small.