Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMDvzzow5jM

(Paleface spotted at 0:06)

Haha sweet, that's me! Thanks!

duckfarts posted:

You goofy motherfucker

In retrospect, this thread was both the wrong and right place to ask.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMDvzzow5jM

(Paleface spotted at 0:06)

Ugh white people ruining my asian immersion.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just applied for an ARC extension. My ARC is up this week, and I'm moving back to the US finally, I just have some stuff to get ready first. Just brought in my termination form from work, a picture, copy of my ARC and the form itself, paid $1,000nt and now I wait a week or so to get my three month extension.

I could get an APRC, but I've got no plans to ever come back here, and it's $10,000nt and a bit more paperwork.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You have to pay extra for a APRC :ohdear:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

caberham posted:

You have to pay extra for a APRC :ohdear:

Well, yes and no. If you get a 1 year ARC it's 1000NT, if it's a 2 year ARC, it's 2000NT. An APRC is theoretically good between renewals for 10 years, so hence it costs 10,000NT.

(You only have to renew it when you renew your passport, since you get a new number when that happens)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

Well, yes and no. If you get a 1 year ARC it's 1000NT, if it's a 2 year ARC, it's 2000NT. An APRC is theoretically good between renewals for 10 years, so hence it costs 10,000NT.

(You only have to renew it when you renew your passport, since you get a new number when that happens)

It's permanent, so you have to pay infinity dollars.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ravendas posted:

It's permanent, so you have to pay infinity dollars.

Yes, over infinite time, obviously.

APRCs, bad value for money for immortals.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Hey, my company's looking for another full-time technical writer, so if you're in Taipei and want a non-teaching job that's on the level, feel free to apply.

duckfarts, if you are still looking to fill this position, I sent in an application today.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Really? Because I know that's definitely not the case for ordinary ARCs.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Really? Because I know that's definitely not the case for ordinary ARCs.

That's what the man at the ARC office told me, if your passport number doesn't match the one on your ARC (APRC) then you need to get a new one so it matches. I've got like 4 years on my passport or something, so I'll find out then.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You get a new arc or APRC but you don't get a new arc number. Your new passport number goes on a new arc with the same arc number. I've gone through work and student arcs and I've kept the same number for ten years.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah I think I misread. You need a new card so it matches the new passport number, not a new ARC number so it matches the passport number through some code or something.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah, it needs to match the passport number on your aprc. Which is totally there. You can check.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Just getting up and running in Taipei. Tomorrow is my first official day teaching. Did anyone else come in with Hess for this training session? Maybe we already know each other :V

Also gently caress this constant rain on my days off.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

living_in_taiwan.txt

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

Just getting up and running in Taipei. Tomorrow is my first official day teaching. Did anyone else come in with Hess for this training session? Maybe we already know each other :V

What branch are you at? I just left, saw a few people training on Thursday in the room next to mine. My school had a lot of teachers leaving this semester, so there's a chance you're at mine.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'm at Zhonghua branch in Taipei City. I know quite a few people left it recently, since there were three of us placed there in my group and one other person from last month.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

I'm at Zhonghua branch in Taipei City. I know quite a few people left it recently, since there were three of us placed there in my group and one other person from last month.

Ahahaha so it was. You may have seen me walk past the window of the room you had the meeting in on Thursday around 2. I was teaching in the room next door.

Zhonghua is an okay branch, it used to be terrible but the worst CTs left and they remodeled the place to make it a lot nicer. Just don't let the CTs speak Chinese to the kids, it sets a bad example. For some reason, that branch's students speak a ton of Chinese, compared to the kid at ShinNan.

If you're teaching either of the ESL3's, I was their sub for the past two weeks. I can let you know what to expect tomorrow if so.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Any truth to the rumor that the former branch manager was fired because of a money dispute? I heard it offhand, perhaps by you, but I didn't really get a lot of information.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

Any truth to the rumor that the former branch manager was fired because of a money dispute? I heard it offhand, perhaps by you, but I didn't really get a lot of information.

I don't think I said anything about it before. I heard she got fired for some missing money or something. She was an awesome manager that everyone liked. I didn't work at Zhonghua though, I worked at the sister branch ShinNan. I was just at Zhonghua for two weeks to cover for you newbies to arrive. Friday was my last day.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

poetrywhore posted:

Thanks folks for the quick info. I'm moving to Pingtung (don't laugh, I like it there!) for the first year definitely, and then might move to Kaohsiung after. Holler anytime, especially if you want to go down to Kenting and soak up a little BLISS.

Hit me up via PM or something when you get here. I'm a Pingtungian.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The OP is sort of sparse on details for visiting Taiwan at the moment. I have a friend who wants to spend a couple of weeks out here. Any good sites I can refer them to for things like hostels or rooms to rent?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I finally got a job! I'm going to be doing copy editing for The China Post. Not as much money in it as teaching, but it sounds interesting as hell to a big current events dork like myself.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Moon Slayer posted:

I finally got a job! I'm going to be doing copy editing for The China Post. Not as much money in it as teaching, but it sounds interesting as hell to a big current events dork like myself.

NOT as much money as teaching? Way to make me cry. Taipei is so nice, but god drat do the jobs not compare.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

DontAskKant posted:

NOT as much money as teaching? Way to make me cry. Taipei is so nice, but god drat do the jobs not compare.

Depends what kind of teaching you do, and how much time you spend on it.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

The OP is sort of sparse on details...

Ah, speaking of the OP. Anybody feel like making a new one? I'm on my way out of Taiwan come next month. It seems like an appropriate time to pass the torch onto someone else. I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much these days either, and haven't made much effort to update it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

I'm starting at entry level pay which is the minimum wage for foreign white collar workers. In my experience most full-time teaching jobs pay more, or the same for much less hours.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I'd be glad to include some information on student life for whoever makes a new OP.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
The Hess of the newspaper industry.

I had fun there. Say hi to Jason, Ciaran, Eddy, Dimitri, TM, Alan, Tom. All were nice to me.

Be nice to your colleagues, you'll need to borrow money when the paycheck is delayed and they are loving about with your work permit/arc. By this, i mean you should prepare to do a visa run again unless Ciaran/Tom has got your paperwork ready for you to submit.

Daniel, the owners son, is an unmitigated cock with a very short fuse. The actual owner believes it acceptable to give staff 1 ferrero rocher each as a bonus.

You won't get into Enru's knickers (Christian thing).

I did tell you about the CP at poker. I hope you prove me wrong.

Like I say, I had great fun, but, ......

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Poker on Wednesday sep 11 @ 8:00pm
Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. url, myself, some other goons and non-goons will be there, my number is 0920283112 and I'm sure most of you have url's.

Ill edit this later (on phone)....

USDA is leaving Taiwan in a cloud of disgrace and shame poker will likely serve as his GTFO send off.

9/11 @ 8pm

:911:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. url, myself, some other goons and non-goons will be there, my number is 0920283112 and I'm sure most of you have url's.

USDA is leaving Taiwan in a cloud of disgrace and shame poker will likely serve as his GTFO send off.

9/11 @ 8pm

It's in an alley just south of Zhongshan/Minquan intersection, you can walk there from the Minquan W Rd MRT station. Come crash a high pair into USDA Choice's towers of chips and walk home dollars richer! A night you will :911: forever...

Also, on the old topic of weird English names, there's a Zeck.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

url posted:

中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

9/11 @ 8pm

If I wasn't stuck in Nangang until 8:30 I'd totally come steal your money play with you guys.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Tx Duckfarts for tidying the Chinois in my post.

Spanish: if you can make it, that night might actually end up being a late night.

I have a couple of quick money games we can play after poker anyways.
Like fast-fast money games. Silly stuff, but, if the stakes are small it's more a pride than money issue anyways.
(the most expensive of games)

I'm sure USDA would buy you a beer.

If not, dw, it's only USDA, gently caress him and the horse he rode in on - if he can't be hosed to stay in this great country.

;)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

if the stakes are small it's more a pride than money issue anyways.
Hopefully you're better with your pride than with your money.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
gently caress you guys and your living within reasonable proximity of each other to hangout on a weekday night.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Hopefully you're better with your pride than with your money.

you'd think so, but ...

Atlas Hugged posted:

gently caress you guys and your living within reasonable proximity of each other to hangout on a weekday night.

pull a sickie :D

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Hullo thread,

As url noted I am leaving Taiwan, and that means leaving things behind! I live near Zhongshan Elementary school station if you want to come pick up some of my poo poo, some is free some will cost you. Ideally you'll get this stuff on Friday since I'm moving out on Saturday.

Once upon a time this was a pretty nice office chair, then I went all :downsbravo: and tried to lean way over and pick something up and it fell over and broke. Now it's a stool. Free if you come pick it up.

A D-Link DIR-600, your most basic router. I believe it has dd-wrt loaded on it currently, it works fine but our current ISP provides a modem/router combo anyway. Throw me 100NT or bring me a couple pearl milk teas or something?

Dell Studio 1550. No hard drive. (Takes the regular small 2.5" size.) The chassis fan gets clicky from time to time but not catastrophic. When it did have a hard drive in it, sometimes it seemed to not be seated properly as it wouldn't find the operating system. Other times it booted straight up. I do not know if this was due to the hard drive or the body itself. Includes the power adapter. Make an offer.

Basic wraparound scooter helmet. Has never been seriously waterlogged so that's something. 200.

TECO dehumidifier. Sometimes it gets loud but otherwise does an extremely good job. 1500.

iPhone 3G. Completely broken, doesn't seem to take a charge. I don't even know why you'd want this other than to cannibalize it or make a youtube video of a tragic love story between a smartphone and a hacksaw. Free.

Clock. Also tells you the date and temperature. If you hit the top it will glow in the dark and tell you the time in very MicrosoftSam-ish Chinese. 150?

Lamp. Pretty bright, provides for nice reading. Right now there's a white-light fluorescent bulb in it. Has convenient partitions in the base for some coins or maybe jewelry. 300.

Umbrella, batteries, and basket. A spoke is broken on the umbrella and 12 AA batteries, those are both free. Basket was hand made in Taiwan, 100 for that.

Cheapo keyboard (not the mouse or pad). Doesn't just work well, but is actually pretty comfortable and responsive. Just not worth the room in my luggage. Free.

MonFrou pillow. Those yellowish marks are branding, not goonstains. It's contoured and made from that space foam poo poo, and great for people who sleep on their backs or sides. I know the secondary pillow market isn't hot but I bought it new for 1500 in April or May. 500.

Desk. It has a keyboard tray but it fell out. Also has a little drawer. Probably 90x40x80 cm or so. Free.

Crappy chair. Bought this after I broke the good one like an idiot. Not broken, but not as comfortable and the seat is somewhat dirty due to my odd habit of putting my foot on my chair. Free.

Also, I have a sleeping bag that I didn't take a picture of. It's got its own case and packs up pretty small, only been slept in probably for 7 nights over 2 weekends. 200.

And come to poker 9/11 :911: so I can take your hard earned cash one last time.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 8, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I should make a post like that some time because I'm leaving as soon as my wife's American permanent visa (pre-greencard things) comes through. Which will be in a month or so hopefully.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The post selling stuff is a joke right?

It reminds me of a story though. Down here in Kaohsiung there's a daily email that goes out for foreigners. It's people selling stuff, or looking for jobs or schools looking for teachers etc. A guy had a huge list of random stuff he was getting rid of, one of the items was a 1/2 used box of laundry detergent for like 300NT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Not a joke though the umbrella/batteries/basket/phone were added for kicks. I don't expect any of it to actually move except for maybe the lamp and the dehumidifier. What doesn't will be split up between friends, the gf's family, and the dumpster.