Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

god this blows posted:

I just got an update. You might want to check the App Store to see if you have an update to.

So I do, thanks for the heads up.

Works perfectly now pokeyman, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Whoever left the review saying "on my iPhone4 with iOS6, it doesn't boot", come here and let me help you! I can do nothing with a review :(

101 posted:

So I do, thanks for the heads up.

Works perfectly now pokeyman, thanks.

Hooray!

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvv

It's on the list!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 2, 2013

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
Just got the update, thanks for all the work. Works great and so far, no problems.

Any chance in a future update that we can click on a probation link to read the notes?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Nice update, great work. Thanks!

For the next update, could you include the new thread tag for the SAS hockey player thread? tia :)

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Awesome app guys!

Just chiming in that there is a new Air Force tag in GiP that wasn't included in the update.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

pokeyman posted:

Whoever left the review saying "on my iPhone4 with iOS6, it doesn't boot", come here and let me help you!

I have an iPhone4 with iOS6 that is able to boot the new build just fine, for whatever that's worth.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gio posted:

For the next update, could you include the new thread tag for the SAS hockey player thread? tia :)

ghost story posted:

Just chiming in that there is a new Air Force tag in GiP that wasn't included in the update.

Thanks guys. We can add thread tags without updating the app thanks to Pokeyman's development magic. I'm working on these now. Do you know what's in the background of the GiP one? I can't tell at this size.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
It looks like a teal cord. Here is a bigger picture: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123322483

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That definitely seems to be it. Thanks!

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I wanted to tank you for all your hard work. This is by far my most used app.

Is there any way to better display thread titles that are too long to display? Either shrink the text size for just the effected threads, or scroll the text right to left.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
The app is awesome. It was working fine before the last update and I can only imagine it will keep working that way with the last one.

One question, maybe I'm being dumb here. But how do I save threads to my Instapaper?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

goku chewbacca posted:

I wanted to tank you for all your hard work. This is by far my most used app.

Is there any way to better display thread titles that are too long to display? Either shrink the text size for just the effected threads, or scroll the text right to left.

Long touch to scroll

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Is there a reason why it says "killed by user" for threads you have seen but "posted by user" for threads that you haven't?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Terminal Entropy posted:

Is there a reason why it says "killed by user" for threads you have seen but "posted by user" for threads that you haven't?

It was requested and added quite a while ago.

It makes more sense to show the OP of a thread you haven't seen. Whereas if you have, you don't really need that info anymore.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Well that just makes perfect sense.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
It's also on the regular forums. I can't even remember when the forums didn't say that, if ever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kolta posted:

One question, maybe I'm being dumb here. But how do I save threads to my Instapaper?

At the moment, Instapaper support is only for links to external sites.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is admittedly nitpicky but in a closed thread, the mark read, PM, copy URL, etc buttons shift around because the quote button disappears.

Is it difficult to maintain their position whether or not a thread is open or closed?

(Edit: use case would be forums like punchsport pagoda where there are monthly discussion threads and you might want to finish reading the previous month)

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 2, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's a good point, I'll take a look!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It has probably been suggested already, but can we get a no_gif option.

Some TVIV threads are pure death for my poor phone.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's been suggested. The problem is discriminating from animated and non-animated gifs is just to wing it on file size. The no images option is the only way for the time being.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Terminal Entropy posted:

It's been suggested. The problem is discriminating from animated and non-animated gifs is just to wing it on file size. The no images option is the only way for the time being.

Default images to hidden/placeholders and tap to load. Or you could just say gently caress .gifs, noone sane uses them for static images anyway.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Klaus Kinski posted:

:munch:

Klaus Kinski posted:

Default images to hidden/placeholders and tap to load. Or you could just say gently caress .gifs, noone sane uses them for static images anyway.

Emoticons are (static) gifs and basically on every page.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Emoticons are also incredibly tiny, on the whole, even when animated. I've noticed tat larger gifs, or multiple gifs larger than emoticons, can load really slowly and slow the app down, making it a bit hard to scroll. A "hide images" (that aren't emoticons) wouldn't be a bad that (admittedly, I wouldn't use it, but that's because when I run into them, I'm reading LPs, but the option would be nice.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Serifina posted:

A "hide images" (that aren't emoticons) wouldn't be a bad that (admittedly, I wouldn't use it, but that's because when I run into them, I'm reading LPs, but the option would be nice.)

You can already turn off images and emoticons will still show up. It's when you try to do something specifically with animated gifs that things get hairy.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Can't they be easily distinguished by the fact that they're wrapped in IMG tags and smileys are not? Or are posts loaded as HTML? Distinguish by the domain they're hosted on perhaps?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Can't they be easily distinguished by the fact that they're wrapped in IMG tags and smileys are not? Or are posts loaded as HTML? Distinguish by the domain they're hosted on perhaps?

The app probably only sees the page's html for each post; not the forum's bbcode.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

The app probably only sees the page's html for each post; not the forum's bbcode.

Correct. In fact, the only way I've found to get the BBcode of a post is to edit it, which fails for posts that aren't yours, and even fails for your own posts in a closed thread. Not even quoting a post works; it strips out various parts of the quoted post before handing the BBcode over.

It's helpful to get posts as HTML, but there are times when it'd be helpful to get the BBcode too.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Been getting a weird bug with tab name and thread names periodically:

Hitting the back button resolves it but not sure if there is anything I am hitting that is causing it. Had this happen at least once before this latest update.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's pretty weird. I'll see what I can do!

Those stupid bookmark star colors... ugh.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I've had the same thing happen before. I think it happened to me when I went to load a thread and went back to bookmarks basically at the same exact time as it loaded the thread/info, if that helps at all.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pokeyman posted:

If you turn orange back to blue it will go along way.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Am I missing something or was YOSPOS themes removed from the settings page?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

creatine posted:

Am I missing something or was YOSPOS themes removed from the settings page?

They got moved from the settings tab to the font size tab.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Terminal Entropy posted:

They got moved from the settings tab to the font size tab.

ahhh, thank you!

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Are there any plans to include the full emoticons list or the SAclopedia in the near future?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

End goal is for everything that's on the desktop site to (reasonably) be in the app. It's really an issue of manpower that makes it take the time it takes. (Which for one main coder is amazing the way it is.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hardstylle actually did a lot of work for the emoticons a while ago, but I don't know what ever happened with that. Either him or Pokeyman would know more.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Hardstylle actually did a lot of work for the emoticons a while ago, but I don't know what ever happened with that. Either him or Pokeyman would know more.

It's still there, rotting in a pull request. I'll pluck the smilie stuff out when it's time (the pull request has a bunch of unrelated stuff in it too). Which is probably soon. The lack of a smilie keyboard is the worst part of the app in my opinion.

SAclopedia is much lower on my todo list, but it's on there.

As usual, if anyone wants to jump in to the code, I'm happy to guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Any idea how the smilies would be implemented? I ask because most of them are animated, what they lack in file size is made up in the volume of them.

• Locked thread