Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
With Santorum, Perry and Bolton making moves, the field is shaping up to be nearly as entertaining as last time. Sadly I don't think anyone will be able to fill the enormous shoes of Hermain Cain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gyges posted:

With Santorum, Perry and Bolton making moves, the field is shaping up to be nearly as entertaining as last time. Sadly I don't think anyone will be able to fill the enormous shoes of Hermain Cain.

Are you suggesting that he couldn't run again?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cease to Hope posted:

Ben Carson's gonna play the role of great black hope hawking a book this time around, provided his Fox News contract hasn't gone through by then.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I really hope he somehow pulls a Gingrich, ditches his past scandals and does run again, just for the entertainment value.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A human heart posted:

I really hope he somehow pulls a Gingrich, ditches his past scandals and does run again, just for the entertainment value.

That person very well may be... Gingrich! There have been several NRO pieces on him meeting with groups of 200+ donors and testing the water. He'll have at least a dozen new ghost written books about Civil War battles to sell by then too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Christie's bloviating about the DOMA ruling is the press is pretty much the start of his failed 2016 Presidential campaign.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!
Hey state's rights fans, states will now have the marriages they recognize acknowledged by the federal government.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Christie's bloviating about the DOMA ruling is the press is pretty much the start of his failed 2016 Presidential campaign.

You have to admit, it's clever in its obfuscation. "Civil unions should be enough" is the sniveling, "I want moderate voters to like me" dodge, so yes, his spine is made of jello, but it takes one hell of an amazing jello spine to blame your own veto decision on the state legislature. His comments are, in essence, "Well, if it's that important, there are workarounds to passing gay marriage that would never have to cross my desk."

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

mcmagic posted:

The NJ Legislature sprung into action immediately after the DOMA ruling and is now trying their hardest to overturn Christie's marriage equality veto as we speak.

He's loving mad.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

VirtualStranger posted:

The NJ Legislature sprung into action immediately after the DOMA ruling and is now trying their hardest to overturn Christie's marriage equality veto as we speak.

He's loving mad.

The people actually running the NJ legislature don't actually want same-sex marriage, they want the out of state socially liberal donors to think they do (in other words, the only reason that bill was passed was because they knew Christie would veto). I am fairly convinced at this point that keeping the money flow to "fight for" SSM coming in is precisely why they don't want it to actually happen.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

jeffersonlives posted:

The people actually running the NJ legislature don't actually want same-sex marriage, they want the out of state socially liberal donors to think they do (in other words, the only reason that bill was passed was because they knew Christie would veto). I am fairly convinced at this point that keeping the money flow to "fight for" SSM coming in is precisely why they don't want it to actually happen.

What else are they supposed to do exactly? They've already passed it once and are bringing it back for another bite at the apple. Who cares if they've got love in their heart while they are actually doing the right thing. You prefer their opponent here for just being an honest bigot?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

Nothing makes me want to move out of this state more than your posts about NJ politics.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 28, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DynamicSloth posted:

What else are they supposed to do exactly? They've already passed it once and are bringing it back for another bite at the apple. Who cares if they've got love in their heart while they are actually doing the right thing. You prefer their opponent here for just being an honest bigot?

The same legislative leaders could have easily passed it at any point during the Corzine administration and (quietly) whipped against it in the state senate when it finally got to the floor in the lame duck, then only decided not to whip against it in 2012 when they were assured of a veto, and then refused to put it as a constitutional amendment on the ballot in 2012 when it would have easily passed. They're not doing the right thing, they're scoring political points; if Christie was somehow defeated by Barbara Buono, who is pro same-sex marriage, in November, I am quite skeptical that it would get to her desk.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

NJ is such a brackish blue state. At least by staying there you're keeping it blue.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

jeffersonlives posted:

The same legislative leaders could have easily passed it at any point during the Corzine administration and (quietly) whipped against it in the state senate when it finally got to the floor in the lame duck

But the political calculus for gay marriage has changed pretty significantly since 2009, hasn't it? That was the same year gay marriage failed by a significant margin in New York under the Democratically controlled Senate.

You know NJ's internal politics better than I, but the concept it wouldn't become law under the (not happening) Buono administration strikes me as unlikely.

edit: then again I don't know the 2012 ballot referendum story so that seems relevant

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Landstander posted:

But the political calculus for gay marriage has changed pretty significantly since 2009, hasn't it? That was the same year gay marriage failed by a significant margin in New York under the Democratically controlled Senate.

Had the highers up freed the state senate to vote its conscience in the Corzine lame duck as they did in the 2012 vote, there would be same-sex marriage in the state right now. With perhaps one or two exceptions, the "flips" in voting were not legitimate changes in ideology on the issue, it was just that votes were whipped the first time and weren't whipped the second time.

I think it's all a null issue because I strongly suspect that either the United States or New Jersey Supreme Court will find a full marriage equality right by 2018, and Gusciora may even shame everyone into putting it on the ballot at some point.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
I"m wondering how sane the republican primaries are going to make Rubio look? Bolton and :newt: man this is going to be glorious.On another note Cuomo hopefully won't get anywhere near the Democratic nomination.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there something I'm not getting, or is Christie back to being cartoonishly evil?

Reuters posted:

(Reuters) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie vetoed a bill that would have expanded Medicaid eligibility under the healthcare law known as Obamacare, his office said on Friday, in an apparent reversal of position for the presumed 2016 Republican presidential hopeful.

Christie's office announced he vetoed eight bills that "would add potentially hundreds of millions of dollars to state and local budgets." He also signed a $32.9 billion budget and three other bills, his office said in a statement.

Among the bills he vetoed was a Medicaid expansion under the U.S. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law known as Obamacare.

Republicans have repeatedly tried to overturn the law since regaining control of the U.S. House of Representatives in the 2010 election, making its repeal a centerpiece of their political opposition to the Democratic president.

While that has failed because Democrats still hold a majority in the Senate, many states led by Republicans have attempted to undermine the law by refusing to expand Medicaid, a program created by the federal government and administered by the states to pay for medical services for the poor.

Under Obama's 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the federal government is offering to pay states 100 percent of the cost of expanding Medicaid for three years beginning in 2014, declining to 90 percent in subsequent years.

Last June, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Obama's healthcare overhaul but allowed states to opt out of a provision expanding the Medicaid program.

Christie, a critic of Obamacare, said in February he would accept federal money to expand Medicaid in New Jersey because if he did not the money would go to other states.

The governor's press office did not immediately respond to requests to explain his apparent change.

Earlier this month, researchers said 14 Republican-led states that oppose expanding Medicaid under would leave 3.6 million of their poorest adult residents uninsured, at a cost of $9.4 billion per year by 2017.

The findings, published in the journal Health Affairs on June 3, did not include New Jersey among those 14 states.

Christie has emerged as a leading voice in the Republican Party and is seen as serious contender for the 2016 Republican nomination, should he decide to run. He is running for re-election as governor this year.

Not to mention the whole SSM beeswax.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Well, if this isn't proof that Christie's running, I don't know what is. He figures he's got to shore up his rear end in a top hat bonafides after acting like a decent human being during Sandy, I guess.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Well, if this isn't proof that Christie's running, I don't know what is. He figures he's got to shore up his rear end in a top hat bonafides after acting like a decent human being during Sandy, I guess.

What's decent about what he did, it would be political suicide for any governor regardless of political leanings to cancel federal aid money, antagonize the president during the post-disaster response or block relief efforts.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

etalian posted:

What's decent about what he did, it would be political suicide for any governor regardless of political leanings to cancel federal aid money, antagonize the president during the post-disaster response or block relief efforts.

Given the actions of many Republican governors since Obama was elected, the threshold for "decent human being" has been lowered a considerable amount.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Christie's trying to thread the needle on the Medicaid expansion by accepting it year to year instead of taking all of the money at once, it's a weird issue. But he actually is taking the money.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Christie's trying to thread the needle on the Medicaid expansion by accepting it year to year instead of taking all of the money at once, it's a weird issue. But he actually is taking the money.

It is easier for a morbidly obese man to pass through the eye of a needle than for a compassionate politician to secure the Republican nomination.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

etalian posted:

Yeah, well "political suicide" is apparently what it takes to win over Republican primary voters these days.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Is there a sitting governor who conceivably might have rejected fema aid in a comparable situation?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zas posted:

Is there a sitting governor who conceivably might have rejected fema aid in a comparable situation?
Ohio's Kasich rejected tornado aid, at least initially, before his constituents basically freaked out. Admittedly, his state was nowhere near as ravaged as Christie's.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Zas posted:

I doubt it, although I remember Oklahoma congressmen demanding that aid to their state after the tornadoes be offset by cutting social programs that they didn't like.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Breaking news, the polling for Latino voters is a nightmare for the GOP.

Sorry about the t.co link.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ufarn posted:

Breaking news, the polling for Latino voters is a nightmare for the GOP.

Sorry about the t.co link.

How is that even possible?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Christie has 38-12 favorability among Latinos? I'm sure it wouldn't last if he actually got the nomination, but it's still really surprising.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Maybe it counts people who didn't understand the question (language issues, bad telephone connection, just misheard it, whatever) and responded with confusion? Kind of sloppy, though, you'd expect those to be a 'no opinion' and I wouldn't expect it to make an entire percent anyway.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

Christie has 38-12 favorability among Latinos? I'm sure it wouldn't last if he actually got the nomination, but it's still really surprising.

Christie has generally been fairly moderate on immigration, he's even made the point that the phrase "illegal immigrant" is a misnomer because they've committed no crime, and he supports a path to citizenship to the extent that there were rumors that he called Senator Chiesa last week and urged him to support the final Senate bill after Chiesa had initially indicated that he would vote against it (Chiesa did flip).

He did oppose DREAM, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

My mom didn't know who was the head of state in our country. Sure, she's probably "heard of" the person, but she still couldn't remember the answer to something everyone ought know.

Those people exist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think the most shocking part of this poll is that 15% of Latinos have strong opinions about Martin O'Malley.

Edit: Also interesting that so many people have heard of Julian Castro, yet how relatively few have heard of Ted Cruz, especially given the fact that they are both from the same state and one is a state-wide elected official and the other is a Mayor.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 2, 2013

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

Margin of error.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think the most shocking part of this poll is that 15% of Latinos have strong opinions about Martin O'Malley.

Edit: Also interesting that so many people have heard of Julian Castro, yet how relatively few have heard of Ted Cruz, especially given the fact that they are both from the same state and one is a state-wide elected official and the other is a Mayor.

Castro got a DNC speaker spot in primetime, which I don't think Cruz got at the RNC. I mean, this doesn't explain everything, but I'm sure a fair number of people saw him for the first time at the DNC.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ChampRamp posted:

Castro got a DNC speaker spot in primetime, which I don't think Cruz got at the RNC. I mean, this doesn't explain everything, but I'm sure a fair number of people saw him for the first time at the DNC.

That could be a factor, but not that many people overall watched the convention (something like an estimated 6-8% of the population, which is fairly large for a TV audience, but not a lot of people in the aggregate) and most of those people who watched are politically engaged. I really doubt that roughly 40% of the people in the poll all saw Castro at the convention and remembered him 9 months later if they weren't already politically engaged and didn't know him previously.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That could be a factor, but not that many people overall watched the convention (something like an estimated 6-8% of the population, which is fairly large for a TV audience, but not a lot of people in the aggregate) and most of those people who watched are politically engaged. I really doubt that roughly 40% of the people in the poll all saw Castro at the convention and remembered him 9 months later if they weren't already politically engaged and didn't know him previously.

Another bit is that survey is nationwide, so it would be a bit surprising for the general public to be aware of a fairly new political figure (outside of Texas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ChampRamp posted:

Another bit is that survey is nationwide, so it would be a bit surprising for the general public to be aware of a fairly new political figure (outside of Texas).

Yes, that's part of what I meant. Both Castro and Cruz are new political figures outside of Texas, but for some reason Castro is way over performing his national visibility (Cruz is over performing as well, but to a much smaller degree than Castro). It's just surprising, even notorious self-promoter, frequent national news participant, and fellow mayor Cory Booker is only about half as visible as Castro.

The most logical reason I could think of is that Castro gets a lot of coverage in Latino media, but other than Univison there isn't really a major national united Latino media entity. So, I have no idea why this mayor with a very limited national presence is so much more visible than other Latino politicians nationwide; especially among people who are not politically tuned in.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 2, 2013

• Locked thread