Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Clarste posted:

It's not like we made up the term. As I recall it was used in some existing translation of the Issun Boshi story.

The out-of-universe explanation for Remilia favoring English is that it's probably the foreign language most familiar to ZUN. The in-universe explanation would be that Scarlet is an English word?

Huh, I always thought it was French. Turns out it's not the same pronunciation - loving Blackadder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

a cartoon duck posted:

Wasn't Gensokyo created in the late 19th century or something? Even if Remilia wasn't always in touch with the outside world I'm pretty sure people spoke Modern English by then, even if it's not contemporary Modern English. Plus in the Chupacabre she's said to be a collector of unique stuff from all over the outside world with a mystery supplier so it's not that far-fetched she has her finger on the pulse of language and stuff like that.

There's also the fact that Kourindou got in a copy of a magazine about the Apollo missions just because enough :tinfoil:s believed the moon landing was faked. A couple of Oxford English grammar books could've definitely gotten into Gensokyo with the popularization of ebonics and leetspeek. :v:

WarpedNaba posted:

Huh, I always thought it was French. Turns out it's not the same pronunciation - loving Blackadder!

Well, even if Scarlet isn't solely a French word, there's also the fact that Flandre is pretty much named after an entire region in France... or at least that's how her name's been transliterated.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 23, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Her name is Frandoll.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

There's also the fact that Kourindou got in a copy of a magazine about the Apollo missions just because enough :tinfoil:s believed the moon landing was faked. A couple of Oxford English grammar books could've definitely gotten into Gensokyo with the popularization of ebonics and leetspeek. :v:
Gensokyo should just count itself lucky that The Elements of Style is still going strong out here.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 23, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Devour or Fire posted:

Her name is Frandoll.

Almost definitely. For one, there's a Turn A Gundam character named that, and for two there's basically no way to get from フランドール to Flandre without some serious artistic license on the vowels.

Then again, considering ナズーリン somehow spells "Nazrin", maybe ZUN really does have no idea how vowels work.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

HMS Boromir posted:

Then again, considering ナズーリン somehow spells "Nazrin", maybe ZUN really does have no idea how vowels work.

Or maybe he decided to make the name Nazrin first before converting it to Katakana?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm... not sure what difference that makes? There's no long U in "Nazrin" as written regardless of which came first.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm... not sure what difference that makes? There's no long U in "Nazrin" as written regardless of which came first.

So how do you write Naz in katakana? Japanese pronunciation doesn't allow for that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
EoSD's romanizations are actually pretty bad, but they're so ingrained in the english fanbase that basically nobody cares. Sucks for Chirno, Meirin, and Frandoll.

EDIT: And I guess Rumia should be Roomia but gently caress that noise.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 23, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Kheldragar posted:

So how do you write Naz in katakana? Japanese pronunciation doesn't allow for that.

The kana transliteration that makes sense is ナズリン/na-zu-ri-n. The one we got was ナズーリン/na-zu-(extend vowel)-ri-n, which is the weird part.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

The kana transliteration that makes sense is ナズリン/na-zu-ri-n. The one we got was ナズーリン/na-zu-(extend vowel)-ri-n, which is the weird part.

I didn't know what he was referring to by long U. :doh:

vvvvvv I can, but I spend more time on Hiragana/Kanji because gently caress roman words. ずう isn't written ずー so brain fart.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
EDIT: Yeah, that. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BlitzBlast posted:

In Rumia's case it's a potato po-tah-to thing; "Roomia" is a perfectly valid pronunciation of that spelling.

Though now I'm envisioning Rumia as a Roomba. Thanks for that.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Rumia should be Lumia.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

In Rumia's case it's a potato po-tah-to thing; "Roomia" is a perfectly valid pronunciation of that spelling.

Though now I'm envisioning Rumia as a Roomba. Thanks for that.

Runba runba runba runba

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All this talk about the true pronnunciation of touhou names is cool and all but so far I've only had one rec for Reimu-centric manga.
In like 20 years of touhou there HAS to be more, right? (rec me good doujins)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Namtab posted:

All this talk about the true pronnunciation of touhou names is cool and all but so far I've only had one rec for Reimu-centric manga.

How about the one where Marisa is sitting in her room talking with Alice and Reimu wrenches open the door and slides in the room unexpectedly saying "Mari! I've got a great idea for bookcase, you can put books on the shelves, but you can use books as the shelves too! It'll make a killing!" and Marisa looks at her for a minute before going "Whaa?"

Then it cuts to her doing a stand-up act, and it seems she's the main character but Reimu is the one that really takes off

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I think it'd be hilarious if Touhou finally gets brought to the west and the "official" translations turn the entire fandom on its head. What are the chances that ZUN grabs a translator who doesn't already know Touhou, or that he's willing to mess with the established fan versions?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Please look forward to Flanders, Chillno and our heroine: Lame.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HellCopter posted:

Gensoukoumuten had a pretty great Rumia doujin, if you're okay with fan-universes.

The only Rumia Namtab cares about is Runia.

Namtab posted:

Yeah sure why not.

Obvious first picks are FLIPFLOPs' "rewrites" of EoSD and PCB. The former is pretty much Reimu Kicks rear end Forever so definitely check that out, and the latter is also pretty great but really heavy on mahjong. One of their Seasons releases also focused on Reimu, and that was again pretty rad.

Next obvious pick is Bomber Grape, where Reimu steals the scene whenever she shows up.

You're probably already reading it, but Reimu is the co-star of Miko Miko Suika, which is amazing.

Tohonifun has a god mode Reimu, but usually plays it for drama. She's the main star of Koumakyou, and you can see snippets of her in the prequel Wriggle vs SDM, the end of Yuka vs Yukari, and I think she shows up to laugh at Marisa in Sakuya vs Youmu.

I can't remember who made it, but Oni Miko (and its sequel involving Tenshi) is a decent story about Reimu going on a poverty-induced rampage.

Yakumi Sarai did a story on Reimu. It was kind of depressing and I don't think it was ever translated though.

And if you're okay with a ton of romantic drama, Personal Color did a couple stories with Reimu and Yukari. I think there was one involving a cat that didn't have any romance at all either, so at least check that out.

Man I haven't read any Touhou doujins for like a year, why do I still remember this. :smith:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

EoSD's romanizations are actually pretty bad, but they're so ingrained in the english fanbase that basically nobody cares. Sucks for Chirno, Meirin, and Frandoll.

I thought it was Lumia and Chillno?

e: That's what I get for not scrolling.

As for Reimu-centric stuff, you can always try the artist who did Oriental Sacred Place. He's quite good at scenario, and there are a few peripheral doujin he did before ZUN commissioned stuff from him.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

HellCopter posted:

I think it'd be hilarious if Touhou finally gets brought to the west and the "official" translations turn the entire fandom on its head. What are the chances that ZUN grabs a translator who doesn't already know Touhou, or that he's willing to mess with the established fan versions?

The Japanese fandom seems to know "Flandre" pretty well as the most popular Romanization.

Though on the opposite end of that spectrum....

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

BlitzBlast posted:

Next obvious pick is Bomber Grape, where Reimu steals the scene whenever she shows up.

This. Just be warned at least one girl winds up naked (it's always tastefully censored though) per book and things can get loving weird.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For what it's worth, Flan signs her name as "Frandle" in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

David D. Davidson posted:

This. Just be warned at least one girl winds up naked (it's always tastefully censored though) per book and things can get loving weird.

It's almost always Okuu's fault, too. You'd be surprised - apparently nuclear explosions tear away your clothing first. :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

KataraniSword posted:

It's almost always Okuu's fault, too. You'd be surprised - apparently nuclear explosions tear away your clothing first. :v:

Unless you're Yukari.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad we're discussing naked 2hus here, stay classy megathread.

Clarste posted:

For what it's worth, Flan signs her name as "Frandle" in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.

I can never get over that the replay file for Meiling in Hisoutensoku says meirin.rpy or something, but then people apparently can't decide whether Seiga's nickname is Seiga niang-niang or Seiga nyan-nyan. People get weird when the names get a bit Chinese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I can never get over that the replay file for Meiling in Hisoutensoku says meirin.rpy or something, but then people apparently can't decide whether Seiga's nickname is Seiga niang-niang or Seiga nyan-nyan. People get weird when the names get a bit Chinese.

When it comes to names not written in katakana, I'm very willing to believe that ZUN is simply wrong and we should go by normal standards. I believe 'Meiling' is an attempt to make it sound more Chinese instead of clinging to a Japanese way of pronouncing a Chinese name. I'm not an expert in Chinese transliteration though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

When it comes to names not written in katakana, I'm very willing to believe that ZUN is simply wrong and we should go by normal standards. I believe 'Meiling' is an attempt to make it sound more Chinese instead of clinging to a Japanese way of pronouncing a Chinese name. I'm not an expert in Chinese transliteration though.

It is. Trying to claim it's somehow "wrong" in any meaningful way is just silly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, maybe 'wrong' wasn't the right word to use, but I just don't see any reason to defer to ZUN in the transliteration of Chinese and Japanese names, and therefore what he writes in the game files or whatever doesn't matter at all. I'll note that no one talks about Huziwara or Tozijko either. Although unfortunately people do still talk about Shikieiki (her surname is Shiki, her given name is Eiki, so combining them into one word just looks weird).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Clarste posted:

Although unfortunately people do still talk about Shikieiki (her surname is Shiki, her given name is Eiki, so combining them into one word just looks weird).

The problem there isn't weird romanization or transliteration, though, it's that people don't realize that the rest of it is a title (Yama of Xanadu) and just treat it like her full name is "Shikieiki Yamaxanadu".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Well, maybe 'wrong' wasn't the right word to use, but I just don't see any reason to defer to ZUN in the transliteration of Chinese and Japanese names, and therefore what he writes in the game files or whatever doesn't matter at all. I'll note that no one talks about Huziwara or Tozijko either. Although unfortunately people do still talk about Shikieiki (her surname is Shiki, her given name is Eiki, so combining them into one word just looks weird).

No, I agree. I mean it's silly to say that "Meiling" is wrong. At that point you're a hair's breadth from telling people they're putting the stress on the wrong syllable in "Marisa".

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
In case you somehow missed it, the artist formerly known as littleshrimp posted this masterpiece on tumblr, reimagining everyone as American high schoolers/faculty: http://sinkerghost.co.vu/post/86215749515/full-image-not-annotated-annotated-remember

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

leather fedora posted:

In case you somehow missed it, the artist formerly known as littleshrimp posted this masterpiece on tumblr, reimagining everyone as American high schoolers/faculty: http://sinkerghost.co.vu/post/86215749515/full-image-not-annotated-annotated-remember

And the full image is a glorious adventure to look through. :allears:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I love how they put in all these nods to canon like Momiji being in the chess club and Ran being a math teacher based on their artbook entries, included all those manga-only characters, but still forgot Reisen 2.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

My touhou-fu is weak, I can't for the life of me figure out why Reimu refers to singular people with collective pronouns.

'S pretty balla, though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's a singular, gender-neutral "they". The artist likes to play around with gender a fair bit when doing fan-art so that's why they go with "they".

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Clarste posted:

Although unfortunately people do still talk about Shikieiki (her surname is Shiki, her given name is Eiki, so combining them into one word just looks weird).

The Touhou wiki refers to her as Eiki Shiki, which looks even weirder.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's her name though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The enma used to be a jinzo statue.