Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15129/detail.html

Looks like Frod is going to spam Akvan again.

Campaign Period: Tuesday, October 11 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, October 31 at 7:59 a.m.

Wildskeeper Reive Campaign
Incursion Campaign
Voidwatch Campaign
Unity Wanted Campaign
Wanted Dial Campaign

Edit: Pasted in link.

Kieyen fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kieyen posted:

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15129/detail.html

Looks like Frod is going to spam Akvan again.

Campaign Period: Tuesday, October 11 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, October 31 at 7:59 a.m.

Wildskeeper Reive Campaign
Incursion Campaign
Voidwatch Campaign
Unity Wanted Campaign
Wanted Dial Campaign

Edit: Pasted in link.

Im hoping to farm at least 3000 plates. If anyone has old mules or deactivated accounts that at one point had done any voidwatch, hit me up, i could use the extra bodies.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

"So how'd he die, Johnson?"

"We're not real sure, but he had a gatorade bottle fixed into his rectal cavity and had his wiener in hand. He was fighting some thing called Akvan for 14 days straight"

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

how the gently caress do I get used to these controls

is there any way at all to have the main menu somewhere closer to the left side of the keyboard, at the very least?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You use a controller you heathen.

Or switch to compact keyboard, maybe. That might help move poo poo over. Numpad stuff is wretched.

First time I logged into XI in like, 04? 03? whatever, I had to ask some random guy in port sandoria how to move because the concept of having movement keys on the numpad was insane to me.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Yea I hated the controls when I first started playing this game in 04. Eventually I got a PS2 controller adapter from radio shack and had a lot better time with the controls. Now I use either a DS4 or 360 controller.

Anybody have an experience with .DAT swapping? I was wondering if it was possible to change trust models at all.

Also I was putting together some cut scene clips using shadowplay again. Is there anywhere to watch the initial "your character arrives in the city" cutscenes or do you have to change to a new nation to get that particular cutscene? I ran around windurst a bit last night and couldn't find the bard that would have the cutscene.

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 1, 2016

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Hi, my name is Kithyen, and I'm an addict.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I loved this game's controls in compact mode. So chilled out not even needing to use a mouse.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I should really figure out how to stream FFXI to the TV with Moonlight. It would be nice to be able to work on story missions and murder crabs with a controller on my big-screen in glorious 58.2 FPS.

I tried it a couple times before and couldn't get the controller working properly. I also don't know how to make Windower 4 skip its launch screen and auto-load a profile. I've seen a couple Youtube videos demonstrating it working, though, so there must be a way to do it.

If I figure it out I'll document it somewhere in case anyone else is curious.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I should really figure out how to stream FFXI to the TV with Moonlight. It would be nice to be able to work on story missions and murder crabs with a controller on my big-screen in glorious 58.2 FPS.

I tried it a couple times before and couldn't get the controller working properly. I also don't know how to make Windower 4 skip its launch screen and auto-load a profile. I've seen a couple Youtube videos demonstrating it working, though, so there must be a way to do it.

If I figure it out I'll document it somewhere in case anyone else is curious.

FFXI caps at 29 fps and acts pretty wonky with the unlimiter.

boot up the windower profile list and highlight the profile you want, then click the thumbtack icon to dump a shortcut on your desktop that will autoload that profile.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

FFXI caps at 29 fps and acts pretty wonky with the unlimiter.

boot up the windower profile list and highlight the profile you want, then click the thumbtack icon to dump a shortcut on your desktop that will autoload that profile.

Yeah, I did some research into how FFXI's framerate is capped at a very specific value and how the game's animations are apparently hard-coded into that. Honestly I haven't run into any major glitches while using Unlimiter. The only glitches I'll get are animation slowdown in populated areas, which are mitigated quite a bit by turning Shadows to normal/off.

If there was a way to force the GPU's refresh rate to 58.2 just for FFXI, I'm theorizing that MIGHT stabilize things, but honestly I don't even know if that's possible or worth the effort. :shrug:

And thanks for the Windower tip, I was wondering how to do that.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I've had a few story cut scenes freeze with the unlimiter on. But you can just unload the plugin and they start working again, so it's not a huge deal

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

LiquidFriend posted:

"So how'd he die, Johnson?"

"We're not real sure, but he had a gatorade bottle fixed into his rectal cavity and had his wiener in hand. He was fighting some thing called Akvan for 14 days straight"

This is unironically how frod is going to die

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Almost done with Adoulin missions. Looking forward to more chances to stare at Arciela's chest in cutscenes. "...Can I help you?" :lol:

I should really work on getting the rest of the Sic/Ready timer mods for BST. The merits were easy to get. I still need 90 JP, Charmer's Merlin, and Desultor Tassets. Shameful.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Almost done with Adoulin missions. Looking forward to more chances to stare at Arciela's chest in cutscenes. "...Can I help you?" :lol:

I should really work on getting the rest of the Sic/Ready timer mods for BST. The merits were easy to get. I still need 90 JP, Charmer's Merlin, and Desultor Tassets. Shameful.

You gwt to smack her around and keep her skirt.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

You gwt to smack her around and keep her skirt.

Oh that's right, I did do a "get a hold of yourself" smack in a cutscene. Thanks, Japan! :japan:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Charmer's really sucks to get without blue proc. I'd suggest doing it on THF during piercing proc period, when nobody is around and just reset Dragua until it's a dagger proc.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Charmer's really sucks to get without blue proc. I'd suggest doing it on THF during piercing proc period, when nobody is around and just reset Dragua until it's a dagger proc.

Yeah, I've been meaning to work on some utility jobs and THF was on my list. May as well since I'm not using my EXP rings on anything else at the moment.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
This is all I ever think about in FFXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4FOd4e0rjM

"What am I teh gil bringer now"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
need some beehive chips

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh cool, I might actually get time to level during tonight's Gain EXP window before the maintenance. I usually miss those.

Everyone please stay the gently caress out of Zeruhn, thanks in advance.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot this was a thing. Thank you.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Gain exp window? Do you mean like, the time you have available to play?

Edit:
Anyway I'm gonna take a break from leveling my thief to get its AF armor. Because I need +steal gear. Because I need to steal a thief testimony. Because I need to do shattering stars to increase my level cap. At least I already have my key ring belt.

Unless there is something I'm missing about stealing one of those. I know for the thief AF dagger you need to steal from a quadav while not in combat, but I tried that as well for the testimony and it just flubs. I know I'm working it on a mob that has them, just no luck so far. I spent a good amount of last saturday trying to get it, but instead I managed to get the testimonies for ninja, summoner and red mage just by grinding on mobs while waiting on steal's cooldown.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 10, 2016

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Gain exp window? Do you mean like, the time you have available to play?

no, Gain exp is a ROE timed event
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Records_of_Eminence#Limited-time_Challenges

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

How have I never seen this before it's so true to life :allears:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARghlVjBab0

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Huh.

This is actually pretty loving cool. There are only 3 though, sadly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Are the Ark Angel trusts a limited time thing?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are the Ark Angel trusts a limited time thing?

quests added to the game, so no.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sweet, cheers.

Jibrish
Oct 1, 2006
My helicopter goes soi soi soi
Is there a high pop server hanging around that stands out among the crowd? I'm on Phoenix and it seems to hover relatively low but still playable. No one I knew is around anymore so I figure transferring isn't a big deal.

Follow up question: How long do server transfers generally take and is there any hidden horrible penalty (this is FFXI, I expect pain for doing simple things).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Asura, $18 to transfer and the only thing you have to worry about is emptying out your delivery box and AH.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

My (like, level 4 and a half) character is on Asura, do I need to message someone to get into the Linkshell? Is there still a linkshell?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

My (like, level 4 and a half) character is on Asura, do I need to message someone to get into the Linkshell? Is there still a linkshell?

What's your character name? One of us can find you online later and give you a pearl.

Jibrish
Oct 1, 2006
My helicopter goes soi soi soi

Kazy posted:

Asura, $18 to transfer and the only thing you have to worry about is emptying out your delivery box and AH.

Thanks. For the record the transfer was pretty much instantaneous. I do feel like a god drat traitor moving off Phoenix but there were 360 online at the time of this post vs. 1001 for Asura. Pretty big difference.

I'm in the game as Jibrish. Anyone in particular I should contact for a pearl?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Im thinking the wikia's rates for crafting torque drops from treasure chests is complete bullshit. It's saying there is a 1 in 3 chance of getting a goldsmith torque in the den of rancor. After a million potions and ethers I can safely say that's bullshit.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Probably going to unsub in a couple weeks. Kinda sick of the lack of EXP Chain campaigns, and too much going on IRL anyway. I'll be back when it's more worth my time.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Im thinking the wikia's rates for crafting torque drops from treasure chests is complete bullshit. It's saying there is a 1 in 3 chance of getting a goldsmith torque in the den of rancor. After a million potions and ethers I can safely say that's bullshit.

Make sure you're flagging and boosting chest rate via the books. Most places I've had to do involve a couple hours or days of attempts, and alot of profanity.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh yeah, I started doing that. I also need to go out and buy thief tools to make chest cracking easier, but to be honest when most chests are just potions I don't think it's worth it.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It took me a good couple hours to get the goldsmith neck even with maxed out chest buffs from the tomes, thankfully at the time I was driven by an insane drive to max out goldsmithing as much as I could so that one day I could pawn my character off to Frod to fuel his sick heavy metal plate addiction, hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Sprite141 posted:

Yeah that's a silly figure. It's about a 1% chance, at best.

The people who heavily contribute to the old wiki are awkward. Make sure to install the box helper addon for Windower, because thinking about the guessing game will eventually get exhausting after awhile and you'll just want to open/fail quickly and continue to kill at a fast pace.

Took over 6 hours to get leather torque.