Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
hi yeah I’ll have a Big Mac meal and a mcchicken also i definitely want to be approached by someone in a public space in los angeles or san francisco. this probably won’t be a tedious interaction with a nutjob crying sadbrain marxist, guy from calpirg telling me to buy organic and save the planet, free sample of the ramayana or whatever only it’s just a sample it really costs 30 dollars, wants my pocket change to get beack to berkeley because he or she can’t walk the mile from the asby bart back to downtown berkeley. this person probalby doesn’t smell like a garbage pail. this person probably isn’t going to stab me, rifle through my pockets, and take my crumpled up tea bag from trader joe’s brand tea and a couple quarters. this person isn’t probably going to interupt my few blessed seconds on silence away from the constant onslaught of abject, depressing stupidity which is constantly beamed at and solely directed at me by a malicious, malevolent god and his obese, perverse, and sadistic minions (other people). this complete stranger approaching me in a public space in the cities of los angeles or san francisco will probably lead to a life long friendship. anyway what do you want for lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you people have no respect for the greats of posting.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

my bitter bi rival posted:

props cause I didn’t see it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

abigserve posted:

We get those as well. The most sophisticated actors will either buy a compromised email server or try to first compromise a legitimate-but-poorly-run business and then use it as jumping off point. We had a office supply invoice that looked identical to a real one, except it was for chairs that never existed. But this is apparently way too much work for most and it's equally as effective to send a wide lovely net

the most interesting phishing we've ever got is someone who poorly spoofed an email from the CEO (the from was "CEO Name <worlds-best-grandma-1234@sbcglobal.net>" or something like that) that just said like "pls send me all the social security numbers its important" and nobody fell for it, i almost wish we got interesting ones like a Real Company just for the fun of seeing how it's really done

Methanar posted:

I went to NYC once and being an idiot tourist from the middle of nowhere this poo poo caught me off guard.

Also the loving gypsy cabs that helpfully grab your suitcase immediately before you even know whats going on.

the only time i've run in to the CD thing was in atlanta as a kid, my dad is an enormously easy mark so of course he bought the friendly young man's up and coming new rap CD to help him get his name out there

thinking about it now i bet the dude saw my dad (who was wearing his favorite fanny pack because dad) and went "oh hey look it's risk-free money"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually that kinda ties back in to this thread because my dad has fallen for a ton of different scams (since he's an engineer so he's of course way too confident that he's Very Smart) so now whenever someone posts an innovative new fraud method in this thread I call my parents and tell them about it so he doesn't get duped, so thanks thread :v:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
but does he know about the new bofa scam yet

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bofa deez nuts?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

maybe your parents let themselves get duped by scams now and then because it's a reliable way to get you to call them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

my bitter bi rival posted:

i just assumed it was another cory doctorow blog post

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the latest spam I got for the old "I have hacked your computer and demand some bitcoins" was showing as sent from my personal address to myself, so that's a new one on me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

the latest spam I got for the old "I have hacked your computer and demand some bitcoins" was showing as sent from my personal address to myself, so that's a new one on me

every single one i've gotten has tried to do that since they claim they did it in the email body, though most of them gently caress it up and show stuff like the from email being... my password (?)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Last Chance posted:

bofa deez nuts?

No, someone calls pretending to be the Bank of America fraud department and asks you to verify your identity. As the last step, they actually attempt to log into your account, causing the 2FA to be sent to your phone, and tell you that they just sent a security token and need you to read it to them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

No, someone calls pretending to be the Bank of America fraud department and asks you to verify your identity. As the last step, they actually attempt to log into your account, causing the 2FA to be sent to your phone, and tell you that they just sent a security token and need you to read it to them.

oh i thought you were making the bofa deez nuts joke too lmao

afaik their bank accounts are all with a local credit union so i think they'll be fine but i'll mention it, thanks for letting me know

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bank of America deez nuts

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

my security token is ligma

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jeoh posted:

my security token is ligma

ligma factor

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

oh i thought you were making the bofa deez nuts joke too lmao

afaik their bank accounts are all with a local credit union so i think they'll be fine but i'll mention it, thanks for letting me know

I'm not sure if I'm the whoosher or the whooshee now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure if I'm the whoosher or the whooshee now.

wait a minute you're not Wild EEPROM are you, now i'm extra confused

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

abigserve posted:

Had an interesting meeting with a cybersec researcher yesterday and apparently:
- cybercrime is now a 1.3 trillion dollar industry
- the official word from interpol is that they don't give a gently caress about any amount less than 1 million dollars being stolen electronically and they have no known way of tracking individuals so as long as every individual amount stolen is less than that you're gucci
- the biggest emerging threat to business is literally randomly invoicing people and something called ego-phishing, which is where you send out invites for speaking arrangements at conferences (with a one time administration fee of course).

computers make you stupid, i guess. He went through a bunch of the most sophisticated attacks he'd seen and they were all variations of "make user click this button that owns all their poo poo"

i love this thread because now when someone mentions "ego phishing" I'm gonna be all smug and go "yeah I've heard of that" and look like I'm super smart

anyway, I have to deal with vendor invoices sometimes and it's a clusterfuck on both sides. like they send it to us, our accounts team routes it to the wrong person, 6 months later they query why it isn't paid and redirect to me I ask what it was for any they're like "idk services I guess?"

edit: this has happened like 3 times in the last month

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 5, 2019

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i thought ego phishing was trying to get someone's personal information by insulting their intelligence

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

i thought ego phishing was trying to get someone's personal information by insulting their intelligence

lol what kind of idiot would think this, huh? i bet the kind of person who lives in a dumb stupid city and has a stupid birth day and their social security number is the one they only assign to losers, and I bet you can't prove any of this wrong :smug:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

lol what kind of idiot would think this, huh? i bet the kind of person who lives in a dumb stupid city and has a stupid birth day and their social security number is the one they only assign to losers, and I bet you can't prove any of this wrong :smug:

you bet on the wrong horse!!! *faxes you all my information*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
you’re probably too dumb to even post your forums password in this thread

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

In before hunter2 or ******

Probate me if you must I'm just so tired of that joke at this point and someone posts it every time

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
hunter2

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Garrand posted:

In before hunter2 or ******

Probate me if you must I'm just so tired of that joke at this point and someone posts it every time

hunter3

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
with mandatory password rotation it must be up to like hunter420 by now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chunder2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hoonter2 :bloodborne:

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
it’s not 2010 anymore password complexity requirements have gone up

Hunter2

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hunter2!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hunter2Spring19!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have seen not one, not two, but three separate people accidentally type the same private password into chat rooms over the decades

Three people, three different companies. All chose the same password:

sl@yer666

I'll bet the NSA has all sorts of interesting data correlating passwords with demographics and geography. "sl@yer666" must have like a .92 correlation with white trash areas, but if you study passwords of people in like, Seattle, they are all probably some poo poo like "ANIMELOVER420XXXSEPHIROTH"

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 6, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i got my passport yesterday and had to make a login.gov account... it was not the worst?

they make you set up 2FA with the options being sms/text, an authentication app, some other one, or a hardware key.

then they display a 16 character private key and tell you to write it down or print it out so that you can regain control over your account if you forgot your password and hosed up your 2FA. :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone else heard someone pronounce it as “Too-fah” (as in the sponge)?

I recently did and it was :chloe: as gently caress.

E: Versus the obviously correct “Two-eff-ay”.

E2: and god help you if I don’t hear a correctly formed w in the “two”! :toughguy:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 6, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the correct abbreviation is "two factor"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We had some rogue traffic trying to reach a server in the Czech republic on port 6000, we thought it was in a pool behind an F5.

Turns out it was the F5 itself.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I dont like F5s lately

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
refresh me, what’s an F5?

Adbot