Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Bigass Moth posted:

You’ve got to have some advantages to give the people willing to work above and beyond to win. Most people do not put in serious idol hunting work. Without advantages you get boring Pagongings and uninteresting game bots.

Pearl Islands. Amazon. Marquesas. Arguably Palau? Vanuatu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Heck, EoE didn't see a single idol played correctly til day 31, and the only idol actually played before then only nullified one vote.

I think they mistimed the second EoE return and that there shouldn't have been a second freebie idol, but Chris honestly played well coming back with what he had.

The online community is melting down over his win though, it's actually kinda glorious.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Chris played well on his return to the game but it doesn't change that both the winner and the guy who would have won couldn't be voted out of the game at any point past the final 10. That's real bullshit.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

You do need a couple of advantages, but the way the game has gone lately has gotten pretty silly. They did well by having Devens find a clue to the location of an idol at camp. I liked it when you had to try and scoop an idol at challenges. I know that production condenses it down a lot but it feels like players find idols too easily. I don't want a return to the boring, stodgy gameplay either but something more in the middle from that and what we have now would be nice.

Also, Chris had a completely bullshit information advantage that he should never had gotten and it skewed the game far too drastically in his favour.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Also: at the start of the game the new players agreed they didn't want a returning player to win because "they already had their chance" but then they voted for the returning player to win :confused:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

two different meanings of returning there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

two different meanings of returning there

Definitely

Even so, if one of the actual returnees had done the same thing, they would have won too.

Not wanting them to win doesn't mean not voting for the most deserving in the end

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Number19 posted:

Also, Chris had a completely bullshit information advantage that he should never had gotten and it skewed the game far too drastically in his favour.

Yeah, I have a seriously hard time giving Chris any credit the more I think about it. He basically a leverage item over 3 of the 5 players (that we know of). Inside knowledge of Lauren's idol to get her to work with him, the note from Ron to get Julie to work with him, and the half idol with Devens. He basically targeted the only two people he apparently didn't get handed leverage over.

Maybe Chris would have played a better game if he hadn't made a colossal mistake in Week 3 that other players warned him not to make. I don't know. But his post Extinction play was actually the same basic logic that got him voted out in the first place, trying to get good with everyone. It just worked because he had a ton more leverage, a big shield, and the position to angle everyone's final game goals.

I wasn't that bothered by Edge of Extinction when it was happening but I think the people who speculated that it would be unfair were right. He had too much rest compared to the others, he had too much face time with the jury, and he had a bunch of advantages no one else (besides Devens) had the opportunity to have because they hadn't been voted out. Extinction Island was fun and I'll always treasure Reem but it broke Season 38.

On the other hand if Devens hadn't returned and put on a show for 6 weeks we'd probably be sitting here trying to convince ourselves Victoria, Gavin, or Lauren played an exciting game and that's why we watched all those episodes.

edit: That's not me criticizing the jury. Chris was as "deserving" as Gavin in my book and I don't fault the jury for being human and seeing a kindred spirit in another Extinction Island player. Although I'm mildly curious to hear Victoria's reasoning.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 16, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what Devens would have done if it was anyone other than Chris that had come back. The fact that Chris and Devens had that history prior to EoE really affected Devens decision process.

Rick seriously made a dumb move keeping Chris that first tribal after he came back. I mean I can understand his reasoning of wanting to be 'human' and acknowledge that it was a difficult decision, but at the same time I don't think keeping a player who had been hanging out with the jury for the last 28 days is a very smart decision.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was obviously a mistake but I think he probably figured he had to take the chance on the one person in weeks who was willing to work with him. If he had gotten to the end with Chris I imagine he would have won considering Gavin came that close. But he had to survive 3 more tribals and he had been flying by a string.

Obviously with the hindsight that he was going to be overflowing with idols and that Chris was overflowing with leverage points he might have done things differently. But he was obviously just gasping at any lifeline like that deal with Gavin that Gavin immediately admitted he'd betray. Rick probably figured that after everything he'd been through and how many people he'd seen Gavin betray, but its tough playing Survivor without ANYONE working with you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I mean I understand that Rick felt like he had to work with someone and he did have a history with Chris. I mean I can't fault Rick too much for it, but at the same time it obviously turned out to be a mistake.

However, at the same time, I think I might have held onto the other half of the HII that Chris brought back until tribal and then decided if I wanted to let him use it. Again, I get why Devens didn't do that because he was staying true to himself and being a good and loyal friend, but it definitely cost him a million dollars. Well, 900,000 since Sia is gonna give him 100k.

edit - And I'm just going to let myself believe Rick won the game because that is clearly what would have happened if he made it to the final three. Also, if Chris really wanted to make a BDE move, then he should have given the last immunity idol to Rick and gone for the fire challenge against Gavin so that he could say "I wanted to sit next to the person who would be the biggest challenge to beat" and I might have actually respected it if he had won then. But the way Chris won just leaves an ultimately sour taste in my mouth and that isn't just because I really enjoyed Rick and wanted him to win. I would be just as unsatisfied about a Chris win if Rick had gotten voted out instead of Aurora even though I actively disliked pretty much all of the Victoria/Gavin/Julie/Lauren/Aurora group. Although I suppose some of that dislike is probably because they were all against Rick, but not all of it.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 17, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was anybody right on their pony/poisons? I had Keith as Poison and LAuren as Pony, so half right.

The Human Cow posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but this show exists and is called Alone! It's pretty great.

Oooh, Ill check it out ty

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
My poison was Gavin, and I stand by that.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

CODChimera posted:

Devans watching and laughing as Lauren searched for the idol was incredible. I hope he wins for that alone.

Is there a gif of this?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
my poison was dan (wardog) which i think still fits. my pony was david though so that didn't pan out.

i said it last week but any winner other than devens (or reem lol) was going to be underwhelming. i honestly forgot who chris even was. rip. i guess the devens antics were fun enough.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I was finally just able to watch the finale and lol, Chris. Though giving up final immunity to beat Devens in fire-making was pretty savage.

I mean, yeah, he kind of won that by default (though I surprised myself by sort of rooting for Gavin, despite having been a total flunky, just for being a nice dude). Very satisfying to see Julie get 0 votes.

Obviously bummed not to see Devens get the win. He was a one-in-a-kind Survivor personality and one of the few bright spots amongst a relatively uninspiring cast. Idol-palooza sucks in general, but it's at least good when your player of choice is finding them.

Let this season be a reminder to A) the players that getting obsessively tunnel-visioned about the perceived top threat every single vote essentially blows that player's threat level out of proportion while also depriving you of opportunities to build your own positive reputation, and B) the producers that the handful-of-returning-players arrangement creates a domino effect that dilutes the entire season (and please, just make better casting decisions general a la DvG).

Spergatory posted:

This is strangely wonderful. Survivor built this season for Joe to win and at the last second, some rando swoops in and out-Joes him.

This is a good take.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I actually wonder what would have happened if Joe had made it to the final 3 with Devens. I think Devens still wins there, but it could be close if it was a Joe/Gavin/Julie final three. Maybe Gavin could pick up the win there even with Joes advantage of having been hanging out with the jury members for a while.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Pony: Gavin because one of his pet peeves was people who vape

Poison: Ron, because his profile basically sounds like he’s a life coach with a temper.

Hey, I did alright!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I tied with my office survivor pool at getting 1 single prediction for the finale correct (Chris coming beck from edge)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My (non-returnee) pony was Chris and poison was Dan, so I think I did pretty well, honestly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Keith's torch is one of the cheapest but it's still too drat much for me to buy, especially with 75 dollar shipping. Joe's torch is like triple the next highest person's torch. Devens higher than Chris, Victoria pretty middle-low. I don't know what I'm trying to divine from these auction prices, I guess just intensity of fandom of people with a ton of disposable income.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Meanwhile, people at Sucks are tracking flights to Fiji from LAX, breaking down social media posts, and wildly speculating that someone no expected could be on S40 (do we need to spoiler that still? Surely everyone knows that seasons theme by now right?)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/survivorsucks/s40-spoiler-discussions-t135190-s1980.html

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Chris is a good winner. It's really impressive he managed to come back and hit the ground running. Risking his idol half with Rick. Tricking Lauren to play an idol on him. Winning the crucial immunity. Putting himself in the fire challenge.

Gavin getting annoyed and saying the theme was unfair and that Chris didn't deserve to win was a beautiful way to piss off the Jury who was almost entirely composed of those that suffered through EoE to do the same.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think I'm gonna enjoy Chris as a winner even more because Probst was so obviously irked by it. It's like how him being annoyed that Michele won instead of Aubry makes Koah Rong better.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Pony: Rick
Poison: Chris

Well that was neat.
My poison directly destroyed my pony, and I'm fine with it.
GG Chris.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think they need to stop with the gimmicks that make voting players out indefinite, but I can't hold it against Chris for making the absolute most out of the eoe island and then basically taking a stranglehold of the remaining days.
Would have loved to see Rick win, next season looks goofy as poo poo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I have a seriously hard time giving Chris any credit the more I think about it. He basically a leverage item over 3 of the 5 players (that we know of). Inside knowledge of Lauren's idol to get her to work with him, the note from Ron to get Julie to work with him, and the half idol with Devens. He basically targeted the only two people he apparently didn't get handed leverage over.

Maybe Chris would have played a better game if he hadn't made a colossal mistake in Week 3 that other players warned him not to make. I don't know. But his post Extinction play was actually the same basic logic that got him voted out in the first place, trying to get good with everyone. It just worked because he had a ton more leverage, a big shield, and the position to angle everyone's final game goals.

I wasn't that bothered by Edge of Extinction when it was happening but I think the people who speculated that it would be unfair were right. He had too much rest compared to the others, he had too much face time with the jury, and he had a bunch of advantages no one else (besides Devens) had the opportunity to have because they hadn't been voted out. Extinction Island was fun and I'll always treasure Reem but it broke Season 38.

On the other hand if Devens hadn't returned and put on a show for 6 weeks we'd probably be sitting here trying to convince ourselves Victoria, Gavin, or Lauren played an exciting game and that's why we watched all those episodes.

edit: That's not me criticizing the jury. Chris was as "deserving" as Gavin in my book and I don't fault the jury for being human and seeing a kindred spirit in another Extinction Island player. Although I'm mildly curious to hear Victoria's reasoning.

Late reply, but with exit press coming out, to address some points:

Lauren has said that she would have played the same even if Chris didn't have knowledge of her idol. She wanted Victoria gone and her ideal F3 was with some combination of Chris/Julie/Gavin. And if Gavin had voted Chris instead of Rick, then Lauren saves Chris and eliminates Victoria, giving her a nice bump in her resume. Now whether Chris would have played the same without knowledge of Lauren's idol is up for debate, but Lauren was already leaning towards that direction.

Rick beats himself up for handing back the idol half but that in the game at that moment, he would have 100% given it back. So yeah, that was his boneheaded move to die on. I think that if Chris didn't have the idol at F5, Rick 100% saves him with his own idol too instead of Gavin. So yeah, Rick screwed himself over that day.

Chris has claimed in exit press that there was no consensus on the Edge to reward whoever made it back. And I'd buy that - I think Julia/Dan/Ron/David were very much looking out for strategy, and Chris delivered while Gavin didn't. You could cast doubt of course, but I think it's more likely that Rick was salty about another Edge returnee beating him since I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get other Edge people to back up Chris.

Victoria voted for Chris because she thought Gavin had backstabbed her (see: Gavin voting for Rick instead of Chris). Her departing words were intended to raise Gavin's threat level so people would vote him out. She was probably the closest to a bitter juror this season.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 17, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/PEIHGEE/status/1129201567301869574

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lauren has said that she would have played the same even if Chris didn't have knowledge of her idol. She wanted Victoria gone and her ideal F3 was with some combination of Chris/Julie/Gavin. And if Gavin had voted Chris instead of Rick, then Lauren saves Chris and eliminates Victoria, giving her a nice bump in her resume. Now whether Chris would have played the same without knowledge of Lauren's idol is up for debate, but Lauren was already leaning towards that direction.

Rick beats himself up for handing back the idol half but that in the game at that moment, he would have 100% given it back. So yeah, that was his boneheaded move to die on. I think that if Chris didn't have the idol at F5, Rick 100% saves him with his own idol too instead of Gavin. So yeah, Rick screwed himself over that day.

Chris has claimed in exit press that there was no consensus on the Edge to reward whoever made it back. And I'd buy that - I think Julia/Dan/Ron/David were very much looking out for strategy, and Chris delivered while Gavin didn't. You could cast doubt of course, but I think it's more likely that Rick was salty about another Edge returnee beating him since I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get other Edge people to back up Chris.

Victoria voted for Chris because she thought Gavin had backstabbed her (see: Gavin voting for Rick instead of Chris). Her departing words were intended to raise Gavin's threat level so people would vote him out. She was probably the closest to a bitter juror this season.
I think voting out Victoria was potentially the right move for Lauren, since she might have been able to beat Chris at FTC if it came to that, and because Chris could be a Devens-stopper (like he was!), while still leaving the ideal Julie/Gavin/Lauren f3 available. But giving him the idol wasn't the right move, which is extremely obvious in hindsight

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it was pretty obviously a head scratcher at the time. Even she immediately admitted as much.

I'm skeptical about the idea that Lauren would have used her idol on Chris if he hadn't come to her about it. That move was so illogical and misty and she said herself in the aftermath that Chris just played her and she had no excuse. Its one thing to want Chris at the end, its another thing to use your idol to protect him. If she's got excuses and rationalizations months later that just feels like her trying to soften the blow a bit for how close she came and how she can directly point to her own mistake for her loss.

And yeah, I don't know how Chris plays if he doesn't have the leverage over Lauren. Clearly his strategy was entirely rooted in working with those he had Edge leverage with and targeting those he didn't.

But indeed, who knows?

ApplesandOranges posted:

But who knows?

Yeah, I saw the Victoria/"bitter juror" thing after I posted. At least that explains her actions. I can't say I'm terribly surprised but its not super outrageous or anything either.

I buy that there was no formal agreement amongst the Edge people to stick together. I never really felt there was something quite that official and Wentworth and Aurora both voted for Gavin. I think its just more a natural advantage. Chris had the time to play a social game with the jurors without any game to conflict about that. He was able to make peace with anyone he had problems with and begin campaigning weeks earlier. And any criticism Gavin made of the theme and the fact that Chris "didn't play" just ended up being a direct insult to the Jury. Chris was basically their representative doing what they hoped they would be able to do. So it just naturally stacked the deck.

Although it didn't help that Gavin handled it terribly by going on the attack against Edge of Extinction. Gavin just didn't play a good game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I know wrestlers tend to die young, but that's just crazy. :smith:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its sadly not THAT uncommon for the industry.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought 50-60 was the more common premature wrestling death age.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Under 40 is definitely young by any standard, but off the top of my head (and with some googling to confirm ages) Lance Cade died at 29, Eddie Guerrero at 38, Brian Pillman at 35, etc... There's LOTS more.

Its a cesspool and a meat grinder that uses people and throws them away. Massaro not only had drug and health problems but she alleged that she had suffered numerous concussions that WWE brushed off and that she had been sexually assaulted on a WWE tour and WWE pushed her to cover it up. Even wrestling fans were ESPECIALLY vulgar and hostile to Massaro for dumb reasons.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I’m on mobile so if these are too big/breaking tables, let me know and I’ll edit out

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
wordog

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I am the Wordog :regd09:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"I am the Wordog"

TMMadman