Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Paying2Lurk posted:

Looked at the trophies again, and there's at least 1, maybe 2, that would require PS Plus:

Master Combatant - Get 5 PvP Kills
Worldly Slayer - Kill any World Boss

You definitely need PS Plus to get the PvP kills. There are two PvP zones, and if you don't have PS Plus no one else shows up there. I'm not sure if the World Bosses still show up without Plus or not. You can eventually get strong enough to solo any of them, but it's much easier with other people.

Everything else is solo-able. It's still an online-only game, but Plus isn't needed for like 90% of it.

Noted, thanks! The idea of grabbing that is still a ways off yet but good to know that it’s not completely shut off from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Adding in stuff from Steam

A- Animal Well 8% (4)
B- Bloodborne 21% (2)
C-
D- Dragon Age Inquisition 6% (4)
E- Elden Ring 38% (2)
F- Fallout New Vegas 6% (4) (Steam)
G- Ghost of Tsushima 37% (2)
H- Horizon Zero Dawn 27% (2)
I-
J-
K-
L-
M-
N- Nioh 2 19% (3)
O-
P- Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire 4.3% (5) (Steam)
Q-
R-
S- Subnautica 26% (2)
T-
U-
V-
W- The Witcher 3 7% (4)
X-
Y-
Z-

Total: 34

Edit: Added Animal Well

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 16, 2024

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

heya folks i don't do achievement hunting on ps/xbox/steam/etc. because i'm too old and goony so i haven't participated much in this thread but i am pretty into retroachievements. thought i'd throw my alphabadge list out now that it's a thing!

Alphabadge (RA profile)

A - Adventure Island 2 2.3% (5)
B - Blast Corps 2.7% (5)
C - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 0.9% (5)
D - Donkey Kong Country 2.2% (5)
E - Extreme-G 10.1% (3)
F - Fatal Fury 14.2% (3)
G - Gran Turismo 2 2.1% (5)
H - Harvest Moon 1.6% (5)
I -
J - Jet Force Gemini 3.6% (5)
K - King of Fighters '94 6.3% (4)
L - Legend of Zelda, The: A Link to the Past 1.4% (5)
M - Metroid Fusion 1.3% (5)
N - Neutopia 1.2% (5)
O -
P - Phantasy Star 7.0% (4)
Q -
R -
S - Super Star Wars 0.8% (5)
T - Turok: Dinosaur Hunter 3.1% (5)
U -
V -
W - Wipeout 0.7% (5)
X -
Y - Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 12.8% (3)
Z -

Total: 82

the point scale for RA might need to be different if more people start participating. 10% and under mastery rates are the norm for a lot of games there

edit: oops i think i used a slightly different calculation! i went by masters divided by total players. i think it comes out to the same result since none of my pre-revision masteries ended up on the list

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 16, 2024

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I wound up just opening all my badges in a new tab and sorting by "won by" to check rarity because there were so many revisions in the first few I checked, but yeah (masters / total players) is definitely a more accurate calculation. FF6 goes from 2.7% - > 1.7% by that metric but I'm not going to bother fixing the rest rn.

I'm not sure what the best cut-off points are for Rare/Very Rare/Ultra Rare on RA, 10/5/2 maybe? guess we wait for more entrants like you said.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Three hail marys

Two our fathers

It's one Platinum #670: Pentiment.

Thanks Xbox for bringing this over to Playstation!

Gonna try to finish up a few more smaller games and I think I want to give Lies of P a try later this month. Just trying to focus on reducing that backlog now, I know summer games fest is about to announce so many games I'm gonna be interested in.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Nice! The retro cheevos are making me wanna go back and plat the harder games i own. I mostly dtayed on playstation cuz of trophies. Just need one more trophy in destiny 2 and then im hopefully done with that game. Unless they add more in the next expansion. This was just luck. But the month that i decided to go back to destiny 2. Is the same month they made almost every expansion free for the month.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Well dang, XDefiant doesn't have a platinum trophy. Was hoping it would be an easier way to get an X on the board. Oh well.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

#118 Songbird Symphony
Super chill, cozy platformer. You play a bird trying to figure out what kind of bird they are. Rythm games, simple puzzles and maze-like levels. No enemies or dying. Pretty easy platinum with some light collecting, but no need to A-rank all of the songs or anything like that.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got the platinum in Crow Country, a PS1 style survival horror throwback. I thought I would really like this game. I love PS1 horror and thought Signalis was fantastic. But eh, Crow Country was just ok. Nothing about the puzzles or horror (up until the very end) grabbed me. Platinum is very easy, with the only notable thing being beating the game with an S rank. That requires not using hints and 10 heals or less. This can be done in one playthrough... I was close, but antidotes count as heals, so I was at 16, in part due to a puzzle with such a dumb solution I think it might be bugged. I think it's better to do a blind run and then an S rank one, since with game knowledge and unlockable bonus weapons the 2nd playthrough takes like an hour.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Spending my first weekend off getting a quick platinum in, and it's #121 Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood. I still have an unashamed love for these hidden object adventure games. I was a little burned out on them as when they're bad, they're super cheesy and awkward, and even when they are good... well, they're still super cheesy and awkward but they really feel like a *game* if that makes sense. It's not pretending to be cinema, or some indepth experience, it's just clicking on things and solving puzzles of just the right difficulty to get through to the next stilted cutscene.

I have these all wishlisted, and when they drop to $2.99 in the sales (from $15) I add another one to the backlog. This one has been sitting there for a while as they started putting in a "don't miss any of these" collectibles in these games and I couldn't risk that while playing on a VR headset. Now I'm back on a regular TV I thought I'd fire this one up. The first Enigmatis was one of the first of these games I got on Playstation, think it was free via PS Extra and it was on a list of "quick and easy platinums on PS+" and... well, now I'm an addict for these things.

A few of these games are 2 star "well... not a total waste of 4 hours" games, but things like the Enigmatis series are 3 star solid Good Times that make me want to give... maybe not all my money, but certainly regular 80% off discount sales money, to Artifex Mundi.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This doesn't count for any leaderboard stuff since it's steam only (and I'm not going to count it for PS5 when it releases) but I did this over the weekend

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This doesn't count for any leaderboard stuff since it's steam only (and I'm not going to count it for PS5 when it releases) but I did this over the weekend

Nice! How long?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Anti-Hero posted:

Nice! How long?

Hard to put an exact time on it since I played so much on early access but I think if you only beeline for trophy completion and ignore all the cool stuff you can do with your castle its probably 30-40 hours.

Also, I should clarify that when I say "over the weekend" I meant that's when I finished, not that I did the whole thing then. 1.0 (and all the trophies) released on the 8th.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Platinum #675: Crow Country

This is a really neat little horror survival game that's a pretty good sort of modern imagining of the ps1 resident evil games.

The game allows you to play with modern or tank controls. The map is small but complex and the game is pretty short (you can probably finish your first run in 5 hours and then possibly speedrun it in under 2). It's just about the right length.

Definitely recommend if you love survival horror but I still would recommend Signalis first.

This is more for a nostalgic romp but Signalis is way more interesting as a modern made horror survival game.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Platinum #387, 35th completed game of 2024 - Dungeon Adventure (PS5)

Another cheap game where I already had the PS4 version done so figured I might as well complete the set. I actually like this game though. It's a decent enough auto runner platformer. Like Mario Run but super lofi. You hit X to jump and double jump and have to get to the end of the levels. That's it.

You only have to beat the first 12 levels, but there's some challenge to it since you have to get all 3 treasure chests in the first 8 levels to advance to the next set. Some of the jumps and direction changes can get tricky. There's more game after you get the plat too but I just finished out the second set of 8 levels and called it there. Got my fifty cents worth.

I also picked up the PS5 version of Reed Remastered and I'll probably knock that out some time this week.

Everything else has been pushed off to next month while I once again binge Diablo IV. Just hit 80 hours on the PS5 counter for it, adding to my 500+ in the PS4 version. That game just does it for me, I dunno. I got the Diablo bug so bad I even fired up D2R again and finished Nightmare with my Hardcore Hammerdin. If I can finish Hell difficulty and reach level 99 with this Hdin that will take care of the biggest grinds for the plat. I'll keep chipping away at it over the summer.

Gonna try out XDefiant this week, and eventually get back to Animal Well and Crow Country too. And now I seriously have to consider getting V Rising...even though June is going to be Elden Ring month. As always, too many games.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I haven't finished it yet but I'm frustrated and want to vent about Spiritfarer. A pretty enjoyable game where you ride around an open sea in a boat, accruing spirit passengers. You have to build things like gardens, fields, orchards, a kitchen, and other crafting standards to make stuff to keep your passengers happy. One of the trophies is for getting every passenger to Ecstatic status, the highest level of happiness, at least once. To raise their happiness you can feed them their favorite meals, upgrade their living quarters, hug them, or various other tasks.

Well, one of the passengers is a grumpy sighthound named Elena. There are only three ways to raise her happiness is to give her salads and yogurt and other healthy meals, complete her trials, and hope she visits the museum on your boat. She loving hates being hugged and will be forever miserable if you upgrade her spartan living quarters.

So I'm currently in the position of having done nearly everything in the game, but I can't verify if Elena has ever been ecstatic. It's possible. She could have poked her head in the museum one of the days she got to eat a salad and watched me get struck by lightning 17 times. But if she didn't and I finish the game, I'll be missing out on that trophy and will be looking at another 20+ hour playthrough. There are other passengers you can get that will sometimes raise the happiness of others and I'm hoping to get lucky but it's already been a pretty tedious trophy list for an otherwise enjoyable game.

Here's hoping my next post in here is one with good news!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

apophenium posted:

I haven't finished it yet but I'm frustrated and want to vent about Spiritfarer. A pretty enjoyable game where you ride around an open sea in a boat, accruing spirit passengers. You have to build things like gardens, fields, orchards, a kitchen, and other crafting standards to make stuff to keep your passengers happy. One of the trophies is for getting every passenger to Ecstatic status, the highest level of happiness, at least once. To raise their happiness you can feed them their favorite meals, upgrade their living quarters, hug them, or various other tasks.

Well, one of the passengers is a grumpy sighthound named Elena. There are only three ways to raise her happiness is to give her salads and yogurt and other healthy meals, complete her trials, and hope she visits the museum on your boat. She loving hates being hugged and will be forever miserable if you upgrade her spartan living quarters.

So I'm currently in the position of having done nearly everything in the game, but I can't verify if Elena has ever been ecstatic. It's possible. She could have poked her head in the museum one of the days she got to eat a salad and watched me get struck by lightning 17 times. But if she didn't and I finish the game, I'll be missing out on that trophy and will be looking at another 20+ hour playthrough. There are other passengers you can get that will sometimes raise the happiness of others and I'm hoping to get lucky but it's already been a pretty tedious trophy list for an otherwise enjoyable game.

It's overwhelmingly been my experience that developers (on the whole, exceptions of course apply) have little to no understanding or respect of the powers they invoke when they write trophy lists. They don't seem to ever be considered to be a part of the game design, just a thing that gets tacked on to an already complete work, a thing that doesn't and can't matter, that isn't worth consideration of how anyone who does react to it will react to it. It is regrettably easy for trophy lists to magically create misery out of elements that are joyous, turn every wonderful possibility into grim obligation, and reframe every player success as an unproductive failure. Spiritfarer is a great example of these phenomena, especially with its uncanny ability to take a whole lot of cozy game motifs and mechanics and subject matter and somehow make them stressful. Loved the vibe of that game, dearly wanted to soak in it, but, well, there's too much to do...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fedule posted:

It's overwhelmingly been my experience that developers (on the whole, exceptions of course apply) have little to no understanding or respect of the powers they invoke when they write trophy lists. They don't seem to ever be considered to be a part of the game design, just a thing that gets tacked on to an already complete work, a thing that doesn't and can't matter, that isn't worth consideration of how anyone who does react to it will react to it. It is regrettably easy for trophy lists to magically create misery out of elements that are joyous, turn every wonderful possibility into grim obligation, and reframe every player success as an unproductive failure. Spiritfarer is a great example of these phenomena, especially with its uncanny ability to take a whole lot of cozy game motifs and mechanics and subject matter and somehow make them stressful. Loved the vibe of that game, dearly wanted to soak in it, but, well, there's too much to do...

Yeah I gotta tell you, I have a real love-hate relationship with trophies. Like, I'm grateful that they push me to finish my games more often, and finish more content within them that j normally wouldn't have. But sometimes you see something stressful which is like 'finish the game in 5 hours'

And you still do it.

Why do we do this to ourselves.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Fedule posted:

FF7_Rebirth.txt

Enjoyable game. But holy gently caress am I not wanting to do a second run/finish the trophies after 121+ hours.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not sure rebirth really falls under the same thing for me because hard mode is a completely different experience.

Death to anything that includes MP only trophies though

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I gotta tell you, I have a real love-hate relationship with trophies. Like, I'm grateful that they push me to finish my games more often, and finish more content within them that j normally wouldn't have. But sometimes you see something stressful which is like 'finish the game in 5 hours'

And you still do it.

Why do we do this to ourselves.

I finished hi-fi rush on normal and I'm like "gently caress me, I have to do this 5 more times plus save-scumming for S ranks in most of the fights".

Joyous game with grim obligations, indeed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i used to be pretty achievement obsessive but my perspective's changed on it a lot over the years. building achievements in a way that getting 100% is simple ends up being pretty boring in the long run & i'd rather they reward people for doing something rare/difficult instead of working under an assumption that everyone's going to try to 100% it, because as it turns out most people don't play a game that way

go for 100% if you're going to have fun doing it, and don't stress out if you don't. there's too many games out there to force yourself to replay ones long after you've stopped enjoying them

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i used to be pretty achievement obsessive but my perspective's changed on it a lot over the years. building achievements in a way that getting 100% is simple ends up being pretty boring in the long run & i'd rather they reward people for doing something rare/difficult instead of working under an assumption that everyone's going to try to 100% it, because as it turns out most people don't play a game that way

go for 100% if you're going to have fun doing it, and don't stress out if you don't. there's too many games out there to force yourself to replay ones long after you've stopped enjoying them

I'm trying to be better about it. I'd rather play a game and have some trophies for it than not play a game at all.

In fact, I'm gonna play an old and obscure ps4 game tonight, so obscure there's no trophy guide for it.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/207084

I do want to try and roll credits on it and maybe grab a couple of easier optional trophies if I can.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Finished up the plat for Animal Well earlier today. A... perfectly fine puzzle-y metroidvania. Nothing super amazing, and the post-postgame definitely sounds like it kinda crawls up its own rear end more than a little bit for some puzzles but mercifully that's not even remotely required so I just did not bother at all with any of that.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure rebirth really falls under the same thing for me because hard mode is a completely different experience.

Death to anything that includes MP only trophies though

Let me tell you about Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. 31 of 48 achievements are for the completely barren MP option. All that list shows to me is that 0.3% of players know how to cheat achievements.

I bought it, I refunded it, and I've only now finally made peace with the single tutorial achievement tanking my percentage permanently.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Now, in a post with no relation at all to my last,

#111: Zanki Zero: Last Beginning

loving hell.

Okay, so. You may have heard of the team that made Danganronpa, a series of some infamy on these forums. The people on that team whose names were most associated with it, the people you've heard of, all left to form Tookyo Games, a cackling mad collective of highly variable success. The people left behind decided for reasons known only to them to team up with OG Etrian Odyssey developer Lancarse and try and make an Etrian-like with a Danganronpa vibe, with all the flourishes you know and love, such as a striking but isolated setting, characters with hidden pasts, very adult subject matter handled with extremely juvenile sensibility, a mascot character voiced by a superstar seiyuu (it's Goku this time), you know, all that stuff, but in a slightly clunky grid-based dungeon crawler (and realtime, unlike EO). That stuff's all there. Unfortunately, the game sucks.

Here's why I respect it deeply despite how much it sucks: it is really, really, really trying to invoke and channel the spirit of the idea of a misunderstood and forgotten classic, written off on release as a kusoge (if you are part of Zanki Zero's target audience you already know that this word literally translates as "poo poo game" and figuratively... is complicated) because nobody could tolerate dealing with its obtuse mechanics for long enough to appreciate it on its own terms and discover its depths. It does this literally by actually including a fully playable example of such a game within itself and repeatedly using it as a metaphor and motif, and by itself loving to lean on similarly obtuse processes, fair and sensible if and only if you already know them entirely in advance. You are supposed to have a bad time unless and until you learn to take the game on its own terms. What an idea! There's only one problem: it sucks.

There are levels and EXP in this game but they're only good for skill points (which work in a way very parallel to EO). The way you get stronger is by dying. The gimmick is that our heroes are clones with hyper-accelerated lifespans, literally growing old and dying in a few days before being reborn as children and repeating, but every time they die they get a permanent bonus depending on what killed them. This is the conceptual outline of a lovely adaptive and affective difficulty system. The more you die the easier it gets! It rewards charging ahead and punishes caution! A difficulty level built around your skill level! Lovely ideas. Only problem is, this system is implemented awfully. The vast majority of buffs only serve to protect you against the specific attack of the specific enemy that killed you. You are often absurdly vulnerable without these specific protections, and fairly safe with them, and there's no in-between whatsoever. This is already pretty bad, but also consider that you also drop all your equipment when you die and even though you have an emergency teleport button, one character can only carry one and a half other characters' equipment and will have to pick it up before escaping with it (and that's if you don't get caught by some of the ways to lose items forever), meaning no matter how tactically optimal it is, dying is always supremely irritating. It takes time and effort to reach the bosses of the game's dungeons, and often the game seems to expect you to ritually sacrifice yourself to every new threat you face before really coming to grips with fighting it. An adjustable difficulty level only helps so much, because you are also expected to use dropped items to do crafting stuff to get better equipment and facilities, but lower difficulties drop significantly less stuff, and the lowest drops more or less nothing although it does make you literally invincible, so, you're kinda soft-locked to it if you go that route.

(Ironically, the in-game game the metaphor is based around actually is pretty good when you get to grips with how it works... by finding the pages of the strategy guide)

The trophies make everything worse! To Platinum the game, you have to collect every single death. You have to get every single character killed, in every single possible way, by every possible attack of all enemies, including the rare ones! Some of them are rare! Remember that dying to them only serves to protect you against that attack, which 99% of the time is unique to one enemy! It is an absolutely thoroughly bone-headed design decision, because absolutely nobody would want to do this for any reason other than for the trophy. It takes goddamn forever! The guide estimated 60 hours. It took me 80. It's a pretty rote Platinum otherwise, but this one thing is such an ordeal that I have to take a minute to vent some bile at the designers responsible. You goddamn morons. The foundations were shaky but even despite all that this thing was workable, but adding this incentive creates a misery engine that ensnares anyone who decides to play on the terms offered, which you should loving know better than literally anyone else I make this complaint about because you made a game that is literally about the joys of playing a weird game on its own actual terms. gently caress you.

The story is... very dumb. It is no Danganronpa, I can tell you that much. However, it does do one thing that I always love when a game does, which is disguise foreshadowing as bad writing. There is plenty of actual bad writing here too, but hey. Also, the translation is generally very poor in everything other than the main story scenes, and sometimes the clunkiness makes in-game tips literally incorrect, so, that's fun too.

Anyway I also need an independent adjudication regarding Alphaplat business.

This game follows the inexplicable PS4 tradition of having separate trophy data for four regions, and has a different platinum rarity in each (EU: 5.68%, NA: 4.76%, JP: 10.36%, AS: 7.36%). How do we square this? I may or may not jump a place on the leaderboard based on the answer to this question.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Your plat points will be determined by the version of the game you played, so it is purely the stat of that version, not the stat of the lowest version of the same game. It's only fair you use the one that's actually displayed on your profile and that's the one you get compared with.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I loved Zanki Zero, it was so weird but I love bizarre mechanics, even when they don't necessarily work. It's like eurojank, but Japanese. I also found the ending surprisingly touching, and I get the feeling itd going to be a long time before I forget about the game as a whole. Just the bizarre setting, story, characters, mechanics, unlike anything I've played.

But yeah, getting the plat in that was a reaaaal grind.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ineffiable posted:

Your plat points will be determined by the version of the game you played, so it is purely the stat of that version, not the stat of the lowest version of the same game. It's only fair you use the one that's actually displayed on your profile and that's the one you get compared with.

I contend that, to the contrary, this is the only unfair approach to this issue, because it means different people get different outcomes from the same endeavour. The only merit to this approach is that it is readable directly off a profile and doesn't require anyone to do extra logic, although I think maybe we're already on somewhat shaky grounds having to potentially track changing rarity status ourselves.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
It's not that hard. You use the % of the trophy you got. Did you get the EU / AS version of the plat? No? Then don't use its rarity. Easy.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

apophenium posted:

As someone who platted Spiritfarer last year, I was also worried about her since the trophy guide I read said she was particularly difficult to raise to ecstatic. I think there was some update later on down the line though that made it easier to raise her levels though, because I got her there well before the end of the game. I'd say as long as you don't finish the game before that trophy pops you'll at least be able to avoid having to do another playthrough, since at worst she would just be the last one you get across the line.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

E. Revenant posted:

Let me tell you about Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. 31 of 48 achievements are for the completely barren MP option. All that list shows to me is that 0.3% of players know how to cheat achievements.

I bought it, I refunded it, and I've only now finally made peace with the single tutorial achievement tanking my percentage permanently.

This might be boostable. Are you on any achievement hunting Discords?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fedule posted:

I contend that, to the contrary, this is the only unfair approach to this issue, because it means different people get different outcomes from the same endeavour. The only merit to this approach is that it is readable directly off a profile and doesn't require anyone to do extra logic, although I think maybe we're already on somewhat shaky grounds having to potentially track changing rarity status ourselves.

As a counterpoint, I would say this is exactly what other groups would have been doing on the same website (if you check the forums there's talk about ultra rares and alpha plats), the number assigned on your profile by the website is what you get to enter as your result. You can even see how there's a function to show your ultra rare trophies on the right side (about halfway down) on your profile and if you have the JP version for example, it would show that 10%.

I totally understand there's different points for the same result but that'll be sort of a byproduct of the ps4/ps3/vita era. Ps5 is a lot more unified and it probably will stay that way going forward and there's not that many games it comes up in (if I could plat dark souls two more times in different regions, I would)

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 22, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, whatever. This is all fairly arbitrary anyway, and we're working with fairly weird numbers to begin with. I would have thought sites like PSNP would aggregate this stuff behind the scenes since they're already interested in having somewhat skewed numbers what with the self-selection. It's just, the arbitrariness bothers me. But this being a 4 for me while being a 5 for someone in NA is just kind of a logistical inevitability so long as we don't compute all the rarity numbers by hand ourselves and that's definitely not going to happen, so if that's what we're going with, I'll go with it even if I don't like it.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (52.4% - 1 point)
Assassin's Creed III (4.8%: 5 points)
Below (5.7%: 4 points)
Cloudpunk (14.2%: 3 points)
Disco Elysium (3.8%: 5 points)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (17.1%: 3 points)
Furi (1.8%: 5 points)
Guacamelee! (14.7%: 3 points)
Hardspace Shipbreaker (15.5%: 3 points)
Invisible Inc (0.42%: 5 points)
Journey to the Savage Planet: (7.7%: 4 points)
(0 points)
Last Spell, The (1.3%, 5 points)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2.4%: 5 points)
No Man's Sky (6.7%: 4 points)
Outer Wilds (11%: 3 points)
Planet of Lana (25.8%: 2 points)
(0 points)
Ratchet & Clank (2016) (19.8%: 3 points)
Slay the Spire (3.6%: 5 points)
Transistor (9.9%: 4 points)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (9.3%, 4 points)
Vernal Edge (6.4%, 4 points)
Wonderful 101, The (1.3%, 5 points)
(0 points)
(0 points)
Zero Time Dilemma (57.5%, 1 point) Zanki Zero: Last Beginning (EU) (5.7%, 4 points)

Total: 86/135 or 85/130 89/135 or 88/130

[/quote]

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I was going to play Elex and raise my score by a point but nooooo Playstation decided to take it off the PS+ catalog.

Well, it goes on sale regularly at least.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I'm in agreement. If they're too easy/rote it just feels pointless. People hate difficulty trophies, but the accompanying ding to beating a well-balanced hard game is great!

I've largely sworn off stupid grinds but the occasional one that doesn't seem that bad (until it is) can still get me. I'm never touching a collectible guide again.

The bigger issue I've had is only tangentially related to trophies/achievements. I feel like I used to have a lower bar for what I thought a good game was. . . there's a billion games coming out right now but many of them are just OK, especially the bigger budget ones. So it's less about the trophies being unfun and more the game just not being worth the time to finish (or play) in the first place. I'm slowly becoming someone who only plays indie platformers/mvs, niche simulators, cult hits, soulslikes, and the occasional retro jrpg.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

Anti-Hero posted:

This might be boostable. Are you on any achievement hunting Discords?

Nah, I'd have to rebuy the same game I already have for free on Epic and then have to win 400 matches and/or exchange wins for 800 MP games. That's a lot of time that I don't want to spend myself or to subject another person to either.

I've added the tutorial achievement to my showcase as a eternal reminder that some mistakes have no good correction.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
Alphaplat from Steam. Not for contest

Audiosurf - 1.6% (5 points)
Bastion - 1.5% (5 points)
Children of a Dead Earth - 1.1% (5 points)
Darkest Dungeon - 0.3% (5 points)
E (0 points)
Fallout: New Vegas - 1.7% (5 points)
G (0 points)
Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition - 0.5% (5 points)
Iratus: Lord of the Dead - 0.8% Invisible, inc. - 0.8% (5 points)
J (0 points)
K (0 points)
Legend of Grimrock 2 - 1.2% (5 points)
Massive Chalice - 0.5% (5 points)
N (0 points)
O (0 points)
Pillars of Eternity - 0.2% (5 points)
Q (0 points)
Roadwarden - 0.6% Rebel Galaxy - 1.3% (5 points)
Spiral Knights - 0.2% (5 points)
Tinyfolks - 0.3% Torchlight - 0.8% (5 points)
U (0 points)
Vampire Survivors - 1.1% (5 points)
Wartales - 0.2% World of Guns: Gun Disassembly - 1.3% (5 points)
XCOM 2 - 0.8% (5 points)
Y (0 points)
Z (0 points)

80/130

Got empty spaces for lots of letters but everyone I do hit gets the full points.

E: striked out ones that I didn't 100%

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 22, 2024

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fedule posted:

Well, whatever. This is all fairly arbitrary anyway, and we're working with fairly weird numbers to begin with. I would have thought sites like PSNP would aggregate this stuff behind the scenes since they're already interested in having somewhat skewed numbers what with the self-selection. It's just, the arbitrariness bothers me. But this being a 4 for me while being a 5 for someone in NA is just kind of a logistical inevitability so long as we don't compute all the rarity numbers by hand ourselves and that's definitely not going to happen, so if that's what we're going with, I'll go with it even if I don't like it.

That's just part of the joys of trophy hunting. It's also something we take into account when choosing to plat a PS4/PS5 version of a game. For example, several of us bought Quake II to have an achievable Q as it's easier than Quake 1, and the PS5 version has a lower % than the PS4 so will stay a little rarer a little longer.

Also you have weirdos like Ineffiable who have chosen, chosen mind, to plat all the different regions of the Demons Souls plat, and this game was his idea (I'm just club secretary) so this level of insanity is in its DNA. Sometimes the region thing will hold you back, sometimes it'll give you a boost.

I feel an official rule clarification going forward is:

A/ The % of the plat is the version that you played, showing on your account. If you plat multiple regions, then pick the best % as always (and seek medical help).

B/ If you want to fill gaps in the alphaplat with titles from other platforms, because you're primarily an Xbox/Steam player, then that's fine but if you have a platinum for that letter you must use the platinum.

The second point being a thing to stop those of us with half-decent scores trawling through lists of stuff we played elsewhere desperate to get another point or two via a multiplatform upgrade, like a raccoon picking through a dumpster. The intent of allowing other platforms was to let more people play, not to make it hyper competitive. (Both the existing MP players are cool, just looking forward to head off any future issues.)

Current Alphaplat Leaderboard:

Sefal - 103/130
Morpheus - 98/130
Dr. Eldarion - 96/130
InEffiable - 95/130
Fedule - 88/130 Up one spot
Paying2Lurk 87/130
ultrachrist - 81/130
Revitalised - 72/130
apohenium - 70/130
Hirsute - 69/130
ShakeZula - 68/130
Parkingtigers - 67/130
Lotus Aura - 67/130
GoutPatrol - 64/130
Anti-Hero - 56/130
everwake (MP) - 53/130
Raspberry Bang - 50/130
A Sometimes Food (MP) - 30/130
ShadowedFlames - 23/130
Referee - 19/130
IcePhoenix - 18/130
The Postman - 12/130

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

E. Revenant posted:

Got empty spaces for lots of letters but everyone I do hit gets the full points.

Not adding this to the leaderboard (yet) because Wartales isn't on PSN, and New Vegas is only a 4 pointer on PS3. (I looked no further than that.) Not to get too serious, but we use the PSN Profiles stats as it's just the metric we went with at the start, so for consistency any cross platform lists need to be manually crosschecked to see what score it gets in PSN money as it were.