Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Instant Grat posted:

Even if you don't pick up on any of the more subtle, obvious-in-hindsight stuff, I should think everyone's alarm bells would start blaring when entering "Q" in the stand-off results in "Please enter Q's real name", but entering "Me" results in "You cannot commit suicide". There's a similar difference with Eric's responses when you have to tell him who killed Mira. "That's obviously impossible" vs. "I knew it was you".
What messed me up here was When I entered "Q" and it told me to enter Q's real name, I tried "Sean" and that gave me an error. That should probably have tipped me off. Once I played through the fragment where Phi and Delta are born, I went back and entered Delta and MIND BLOWN.

I finished it last night, really frigging enjoyed it. I wasn't fully happy with everything in the story but overall the 3 games are so, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Just two quick questions for those of you who have played this game and Virtue's Last Reward?

1) Should I play Virtue's Last Reward to get the story of this game?

2) Does it matter if I get the Vita or the 3DS version of VLR? Is one better than the other?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yes you should play VLR. ZTD will kind of catch you up on what you need to know, but I think you'll get more out of the story if you have played VLR.

I think both 3DS and Vita versions of VLR have pros and cons. I have the 3DS versions of both VLR and ZTD.

One good thing about VLR on 3DS is that you can have memos and files open on the top screen while solving puzzles on the bottom screen. Unfortunately they didn't include that feature in ZTD which is kind of annoying. And you don't get it in the Vita version of either obviously.

VLR on 3DS has a bug which can cause your game to crash and/or corrupt your save file if you save during Escape Room sequences. There is one particular room (spoiler tag just in case: the PEC room) where it happens a lot. They patched the eShop version but for some reason not card versions. I don't think the Vita has this bug. So if you get the 3DS version don't save in Escape Rooms.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 27, 2016

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Not only should you play Virtue's Last Reward first, you should play 999 before you play either of the other two games, because 999 is the first game in the trilogy.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

OK, I will probably get VLR before ZTD then and either also get 999 or read Dragonatrix' LP of it. Regarding VLR, can you make multiple saves in the 3DS version? If yes, I could simply save in another slot if I wanted to save during the puzzle segments, right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

OK, I will probably get VLR before ZTD then and either also get 999 or read Dragonatrix' LP of it. Regarding VLR, can you make multiple saves in the 3DS version? If yes, I could simply save in another slot if I wanted to save during the puzzle segments, right?

Or just watch Supergreatfriends LP of both.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

KonvexKonkav posted:

Sadly, it only has one save slot. Just try to save just before a puzzle segment, it's pretty obvious when one is coming up. The second screen is extremely useful for notes, I would strongly recommend the 3DS version.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah the 3DS version of VLR is further limited by only having 1 save slot (Vita has 3, and ZTD has 3 on all platforms).

I would read the LP of 999 if you haven't played it. I'd probably play through VLR though rather than just reading an LP. e: Also the LP of it here is unfinished so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This conversation is always weird to me because I played 999 on the DS, and you know what, I liked it back then! Like yeah the other games have some quality of life stuff that is nice but it's not like at the time I played 999 it was somehow was a thing holding back the experience, because those QoL improvements didn't exist yet as a consideration.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

999 is great but the LP will definitely take the tedium out of getting the different endings because the text skipping is a pain and so is having to re-do Escape sequences.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dont read the drat LP, play the game, it's a completely different experience

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I think VGP.ca still has new copies of 999 for $20 or something

just buy the game man

e: $30 CAD. or you can shell out an extra 15 bux to get a copy with the first-run cover art.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cake Attack posted:

dont read the drat LP, play the game, it's a completely different experience

Yeah, only do it if you have no other choice. Watching someone else play a 40 hour visual novel is not a great idea either, so I'd suggest playing VLR too.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://store.aksysgames.com/collections/visual-novel/products/nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors

Aksys still has 999 in stock in their store for $20. No reason not to play the real thing for yourself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

Yeah, only do it if you have no other choice. Watching someone else play a 40 hour visual novel is not a great idea either, so I'd suggest playing VLR too.

SGF made it work. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Critical update to the OP.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MiddleOne posted:

SGF made it work. :colbert:

No he god damned didn't, the SGF Zero Escape streams were poo poo, stop lying to people trying to get into this series.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

alcharagia posted:

No he god damned didn't, the SGF Zero Escape streams were poo poo, stop lying to people trying to get into this series.

Yeah. I like SGF and I like Zero Escape and I am of the opinion that those streams were trash.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm curious, why, though?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know for at least VLR, SGF didn't really like the game that much, so by the end of the game he and the chat were both just wallowing in a sea of negativity.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I know for at least VLR, SGF didn't really like the game that much, so by the end of the game he and the chat were both just wallowing in a sea of negativity.

That was the fun part

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Waffleman_ posted:

I think he did, since SGF will try to like anything. It's just the chat kept getting worked by the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MiddleOne posted:

That was the fun part

Speaking as the author of that stream's summary document, go gently caress yourself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

MiddleOne posted:

That was the fun part

Watching that for 40 hours sounds really unfun for a game like that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im gonna watch a guy play a game on the internet for as long as it would take me to play the game myself

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

There was an interview with Shinji Hosoe and Uchikoshi about the series' soundtrack.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

Watching that for 40 hours sounds really unfun for a game like that.

Surprisingly entertaining to have running in the background. I didn't have the relevant consoles so it's not like there were that many options to pick from.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It appears people are speculating that Carlos' voice actor may be Andrew Bowen. Credit to reddit user RetroXpuntoNES for pointing this out.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Start checking your emails, just got one from Amazon about getting my long delayed watch.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Finally getting around to playing this, should have a while ago.

So far I've voted everyone alive... by doing the opposite of the plan :v: I've done all of C's available fragments (I assume the others will become available once I go do the other voting options), both endings for each team for the decontamination rooms, and looked at the force quit boxes (or... box? Q's has the slots that D is tasked with putting the items into, and it seems like three stages of getting the thing working - open, turn on, activate. But at the same time, surely it's too large to fit through the vents?) Holy poo poo is this game gruesome, between the Pantry and the HF, and I imagine there's only more to come.

I like its humor, though, like when trying to blame the dog for someone's death, or Zero saying, "Your actions are legally justifiable."

Status screen is loving creepy, no thank you.

Update: Just finished the Biolab, the Pod Room, and the Study (well, I've only killed Eric so far.) Uh.... drat.

Telum fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 3, 2016

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

CommunityEdition posted:

Oh man I just realized (end game spoiler) The Fanatic Bio R virus with 100% mortality rate and Radical-6 with 75% mortality maps to 8 billion dead from a religious fanatic versus 6 billion dead from, well, Radical-6.

The other thing is 'Fanatic Bio R' is an anagram of 'Fabrication' - It's not a real virus as Sean suspects if you choose not to inject Radical-6.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just finished this after a long hiatus, and I had the most delightful misinterpretation during part of the endgame spoilers:

Sean knows the identity of Zero, and when you enter his name Sean points directly at the screen and the camera gets funny. For a moment there I thought that they were trying to imply that I, the operator of the 3DS, was Zero.

"That's a tough sell," I thought, "and kind of disappointing. I was really hoping the dog would play some mind-blowing role--"

Then the first person camera starts to unfold upward and I'm like,

"Holy poo poo it is the dog I don't know how they're going to explain it but I was right it was Gab all along!"

I'm still down with the actual ending, but I think I like my version better. Minus all the continuity and stuff.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I wanna get in a time machine, go back in time 5 years, and tell them that a lot of people are buying Alm and Celica action figures and that Donald Trump is president of the United States.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Erg is a nerd and a coward

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So has anyone tried the steam 999/VLR release? Trying to decide if its worth replaying 999 since it's voiced now

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

astr0man posted:

So has anyone tried the steam 999/VLR release? Trying to decide if its worth replaying 999 since it's voiced now

The voice acting is pretty solid! And there's a flowchart and stuff. Really, the only thing is - minor vague spoilers about a gameplay mechanic, not the story itself, just in case -- some of the magic is kinda lost since there isn't a second screen.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wait thats out?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

wait thats out?

44 bux

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Only slightly disappointed it's not $9.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

The voice acting is pretty solid! And there's a flowchart and stuff. Really, the only thing is - minor vague spoilers about a gameplay mechanic, not the story itself, just in case -- some of the magic is kinda lost since there isn't a second screen.

How does _that_ part play out?

• Locked thread