Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ohgodwhat posted:

They were at least your own horses right? Just one of the benefits of horse ownership.

I may have had a super expensive wedding and drive an exotic car but even I am not stupid enough to own a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

C.H.O.M.E posted:

lol @ you if you don't have a video from your wedding where everyone is wishing you well but at least one guest drunkenly stares right into the camera and says "for the cost of this wedding you could have had a WHOLE HOUSE"

The minimum to even book the venue where our wedding was held was $25,000 just for the food. Don't get me started on the stage lights or choreographer the teleprompters or the band or the string quartet or the mariachi band or the open bar or the horse drawn carriage or the cakes.

TelePrompTers sitting randomly around the venue; on the altar, in the font, stuck in the window, scrolling the happy couple's favorite articles from Goop and Modern Equestrian

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I may have had a super expensive wedding and drive an exotic car but even I am not stupid enough to own a horse.

Tell us more about your boat then, since you obviously own a boat.

Actually since we're humblebragging about weddings i'm getting married next Monday. In the lobby of the building I work at, officiated by a coworker for free. My parents are then taking us to a nice restaurant.

That's it.

Total cost: $0

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

As this thread has been over a bunch, no they're not. Acting on them is, which is also impossible to prove.

You're wrong, the prohibitions themselves are very much unlawful, as they preclude protected activity. Again, as you seem to understand, the problem is that there aren't any effective remedies and enforcement is limited and weak, as with most US labor law.

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/13/301989789/pay-secrecy-policies-at-work-often-illegal-and-misunderstood

"But here's the thing: Under a nearly 80-year-old federal labor law, employees already can talk about their salaries at work, and employers are generally prohibited from imposing "pay secrecy" policies, whether or not they do business with the federal government."

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Shut up

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's me, I'm bad with money.

I bought a car I've always wanted when I got my dream job last year even though I still have student debt. While I do love the car, I wish I had more to save for a house now. My car needed to be replaced, but I should've bought a 4 year old accord or something half the price.

I'm just gonna admit it wasn't smart, pay it down and not do this all over when it gets a little older.

On a plus side, my job is starting a 401k matching program this month.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5nck0g/girlfriend_in_accident_without_insurance_in_fl/ posted:

Hey guys and gals, thanks to this subreddit for always providing me with great financial advice and I have made great strides in fixing my credit situation over the last year thanks to this forum.

My girlfriend and I are trying to resolve her situation but it keeps getting more complicated and no one can give us solid advice it seems.

Her insurance lapsed because she didn't pay her monthly payment. When that happened the state (Unbeknownst to her) suspended her drivers license. During this period she was involved in an auto accident that leaves her "at-fault" due to the fact she received a ticket for making an "illegal U-turn", even though there are no signs there stating 'No U-Turn". Regardless, she pulled out in front of a car she didn't see, and they hit her and rolled her vehicle totaling it. She was ticketed for illegal U-turn, driving on suspended, driving without proof of insurance. We paid all the fees to re-instate her license, but now she has received a letter stating that she needs to pay a $5,600 security deposit to the Florida Drivers License center or get the other drivers to sign a waiver.

All the lawyers I call won't even see us because she was not injured and it's left me hanging. Is there anything we can do in order for her to keep her license? If she loses her license she loses her job so she wouldn't be able to pay the other driver anyway.

If there is anyone out there who has been through this and can give us some advice we would be very thankful.
:qq: But there weren't any signs! And we paid all the fees! :qq:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Actually since we're humblebragging about weddings i'm getting married next Monday. In the lobby of the building I work at, officiated by a coworker for free. My parents are then taking us to a nice restaurant.

That's it.

Seriouspost: Good for you.

My fiancé and I were going to hoof it Vegas (just so we can do the "We were married by Elvis" thing), but then stuff happened.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Haifisch posted:

:qq: But there weren't any signs! And we paid all the fees! :qq:

The state of florida and your insurance company also send you warnings that they're going to suspend your license.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

That's it.

The original post and an immediate reply was trying to inversely relate the cost of the wedding to overall happiness after the fact. I know a couple who got married in an elevator with a judge for zero dollars who have been divorced for several years now, but the immediate replies to this post seemed to imply that if you get married in an expensive wedding the bride will be an insane princess who can't deal with the real world, which is super misogynistic and insane.

Alls I am saying is don't judge a wedding by the cost, there may be some weirdo in law millionaire who wants to throw a big party and that may have nothing to do with the actual couple getting married, you have no idea.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

flosofl posted:

Seriouspost: Good for you.

My fiancé and I were going to hoof it Vegas (just so we can do the "We were married by Elvis" thing), but then stuff happened.

Was the 'stuff' your family? Family is 100% BWM dude, you should consider...divesting those assets.

(Kill them, kill them all before it's too late.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiny Deer posted:

Was the 'stuff' your family? Family is 100% BWM dude, you should consider...divesting those assets.

(Kill them, kill them all before it's too late.)

No. She was no longer around to marry. Just a pretty bad time in my life.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Actually since we're humblebragging about weddings i'm getting married next Monday.

Congratulations!

flosofl posted:

No. She was no longer around to marry. Just a pretty bad time in my life.

Commiserations!

This thread is an emotional rollercoaster for me.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

That's it.

My wife paid $15k for our wedding and we had a very limited open bar and amazing food. Kind of pricey and fairly small, but nowhere near what I've seen other people get on the hook for.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Wait. Are we having humblebrag wedding chat unironically here? Wow.

That derail must have really messed this thread up.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
right when i try 2 be good with money i bite myself in the rear end...booked a reservation for what I thought was this weekend, but this morning realized it was for last night. Give them a call and see if they can do anything about it and of course they say no.

There goes $150 down the drain ugh. Hoping atleast I can chargeback it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What is the baseline cost of living in Des Moines?

Sup fellow Iowa goon?

Link here:

http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/19153

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

potatoducks posted:

I just wanted an excuse to talk about how I'm getting married sorry :shobon:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

potatoducks posted:

You say this like we don't get humblebrag wedding chat literally every time the subject comes up.

Every time someone comes along and says they got courthouse married as if no one had ever heard of the concept before.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's it.

Excellent work. Where are you registered? I'll send you a prize.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

It's me, I'm bad with money.

I bought a car I've always wanted when I got my dream job last year even though I still have student debt. While I do love the car, I wish I had more to save for a house now. My car needed to be replaced, but I should've bought a 4 year old accord or something half the price.

I'm just gonna admit it wasn't smart, pay it down and not do this all over when it gets a little older.

On a plus side, my job is starting a 401k matching program this month.
Your attitude actually puts you ahead of a lot of people. You've at least learned after your experience and know what needs to be done to improve your financial footing. I've spoken to a lot of people who take out a gigantic $40,000 truck loan (just because they wanted a truck. Not utility or work-related) and never acknowledge it as a bad decision. Whenever the loan discussion comes up they just act all :smug: and say, "0.9% financing!" as if they've beaten the system. And it's strange- even if they bought a luxury vehicle that's constantly breaking down they'll always tell you, "Yeah it's a great car!" It's rare to see people own up to bad vehicle buying decisions.

And that matching 401k program is a must. Again, a lot of people stubbornly refuse to take advantage of similar plans at their place of employment because "I own real estate, so why would I invest in a stock market that's gonna go down any way I'd be better off stuffing it between my mattress!"

None of these quotes are hyperbole. There are just so many people that live by terrible advice, and it's actually gotten me worried about how OECD nations are going to fund the retirements of millions of people who haven't saved up any money for long-term planning. And it isn't like they just don't know any better. They're just so ego-driven and stubborn that they refuse to believe anything other than what their ill-informed, old wisdom parents or Bob at the watercooler with the hot stock tips told them.

Any way, rant over. I just wanted to say this because you have no reason to kick yourself, at this point. There seems to be this weird stigma against owning up to bad financial decisions and people (not you, but people in general) usually dig in their heels and let their red bank accounts kick themselves in the dick daily just to save face.

Nail Rat posted:

This way of writing it out confuses me. Is it two cents per share, or 0.02 cents per share?
To clarify- GTAT trades OTC at 2 cents per share.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I love that forum so so much. It really should be required reading for anyone applying for a brokerage account.
For sure. I kind of wish that we were (somehow) able to get a detailed account of just how badly that GTAT debacle went for those forumgoers. And not out of some schaudenfraude motive or anything- this really should be taught in schools and in basic finance courses. You could actually see the five stages of grief manifest themselves in that forum thread. It was agonizing to watch.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 12, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was in a 401k presentation at my job and there were a bunch of older people who were really defensive about investing in it at all, mostly because they had seen their portfolios crash in both 2001 and 2007. Unfortunately it sounded like they had seen it crash, then panicked and switched their investments at the bottom :( But they basically regarded the 401k as a garbage fire for money, even with the employer match. I really wanted to try and change their minds, but a lot of them were senior to me in the company and its pretty awkward to try and explain to your manager/boss why they're wrong about something. I don't know if they ended up investing at all, I hope that they at least got the match.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I really can't figure out why it's so hard for people to understand the difference between a retirement account itself, and the kind of investments that are in it. I must have tried to explain it to like 20 different people in my life and I can never quite figure out what to say to make them understand.

I've always come to the conclusion that they just don't feel like saving any money and their lack of understanding is some weird brain tick to make that seem reasonable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Droo posted:

I've always come to the conclusion that they just don't feel like saving any money and their lack of understanding is some weird brain tick to make that seem reasonable.

Bingo. So many people say poo poo like "I don't understand money/finances" and act like that's a free pass at being BWM.

It's like people who say "I can't cook." No, you've just never learned how, literally anyone can cook.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Droo posted:

I really can't figure out why it's so hard for people to understand the difference between a retirement account itself, and the kind of investments that are in it. I must have tried to explain it to like 20 different people in my life and I can never quite figure out what to say to make them understand.

I explain it as like a fridge. You need a fridge to keep ingredients (investments) in, but you can choose what those ingredients are. The fridge (401K) just keeps it fresh (defers taxes).

My 401K BWM was doing the math wrong on employer match and missing out on a few thousand dollars. Next time, I will send my accountant the plan itself rather than describing it. (Not that I ever plan to have a 401K again.)

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

WampaLord posted:

Bingo. So many people say poo poo like "I don't understand money/finances" and act like that's a free pass at being BWM.

It's like people who say "I can't cook." No, you've just never learned how, literally anyone can cook.

Good old learned helplessness

"I'm not a computer person"

"I'm bad at math"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That's exactly what it is. Saving for retirement requires sacrifice and it's very easy to punt those decisions many decades down the line.

I'm guilty of it. I cashed out my first big 401k (all of $3k) when I changed jobs in my 20's. Young people are loving idiots, which is why we let them take out tens of thousands of dollars in non-dischargable debt as soon as they're old enough to sign a contract. Go us!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm guilty of it. I cashed out my first big 401k (all of $3k) when I changed jobs in my 20's.

I cashed out a $5k IRA around the same time. The GWM part of me cries thinking how much money I gave up, but whatever, life happens.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm guilty of it. I cashed out my first big 401k (all of $3k) when I changed jobs in my 20's. Young people are loving idiots, which is why we let them take out tens of thousands of dollars in non-dischargable debt as soon as they're old enough to sign a contract. Go us!

Hey BWM friend: At 22? I switched jobs away from k-12 computer jockey to a private sector job. I had around $3k in my CALPers account which earned 6% forever as I was under the pension limit. I was pretty proud of my $3k because I had only been doing it a year with an annual income of around $13k. Me being smarter than some dumb 6% interest account rolled it into an IRA and promptly lost 75% of it in a real estate mutual fund (FRESX) which I promptly liquidated into my core account realizing all the loss. Thankfully I was smart enough to not actually lose the tax advantaged status on the money and take the penalty hit.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I very nearly cashed out the entirety of my accrued 7 year Roth principle from my 20's to put in a downpayment toward a house 3x the price we eventually bought before taking a deep breath and reconsidering.

Instead, we lived with my inlaws for 3 months before buying a rather modest home convenient to work and childcare.

I shudder to think at the onionous layers of regret I would now feel over that decision.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got $500 as a graduation gift. I went to the broker at the bank I was working at and he invested it all in something called Pioneer Growth shares. I don't blame him because it was a fund full of Blue Chip companies, but it promptly doubled it's fees and lost half it's value.

I pulled that out and rolled it into a Roth CD. It's been there for 10 years and has made like 2 dollars. I think it's worth $270 now. I wish I had bought a horse.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I very nearly cashed out the entirety of my accrued 7 year Roth principle from my 20's to put in a downpayment toward a house 3x the price we eventually bought before taking a deep breath and reconsidering.

Instead, we lived with my inlaws for 3 months before buying a rather modest home convenient to work and childcare.

I shudder to think at the onionous layers of regret I would now feel over that decision.

Don't worry, you probably would've found some way to justify that poor decision to yourself.

Armacham posted:

Good old learned helplessness

"I'm not a computer person"

"I'm bad at math"

The dog that sits and waits for the shock knows he can live through the shock, but he doesn't know if the floor on the other side of the room has 200,000 volts flowing through it that will kill him instantly.
Basically what I mean by this poor analogy is that investing is different from learning to use a mouse.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Syntax Erin posted:

Don't worry, you probably would've found some way to justify that poor decision to yourself.

The dog that sits and waits for the shock knows he can live through the shock, but he doesn't know if the floor on the other side of the room has 200,000 volts flowing through it that will kill him instantly.
Basically what I mean by this poor analogy is that investing is different from learning to use a mouse.

Yet they're similar in the sense that if throw your hands into the air and declare it hopeless, you'll learn nothing. It is literally the definition of learned helplessness.

We're not talking about someone starting their own investment firm. We're talking about adults who refuse to learn basic money management skills. It took about 15 minutes of looking at available retirement plans through work to see that several of them are the type where you tell it in how many years you plan to retire, and the investments steadily become less risky on a set schedule.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Content: last summer I was doing whatever short-term gigs I could get. Here in Australia your employer contributes 9% of your salary (on top of your salary, not a deduction) into a superannuation account for retirement. It was my first year here and I hadn't worked a proper job here yet, so I didn't have my own super, so went with whatever the default was for whatever labouring gig I was signing up for. I reasoned when I had time, I'd find a good provider and roll them all into it.

I moved house at the end of the summer and didn't update my address for a few things, including one of the small super accounts, which I just totally forgot about. I just went by to pick up mail at my old landlord's and found that I'd been signed up for a life insurance option by default, and between that and the fund's (terrible) management fees, my $138 balance was run down to 0 within a few months and the account automatically closed.

Obviously not a catastrophic loss, but a good example of what happens if you're not at least a little bit woke about what you do with your investments.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The one rule of making the most out of your super is "always use SunSuper". They're the Vanguard of super funds. And the customer service is excellent too. When I found out I was still paying insurance fees as a legacy of my last job and contacted them to cancel the coverage, not only did they cancel it straightaway, but they refunded the several months of premiums if paid since I became ineligible for coverage. A Good Super Fund.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
In 2008 as the recession kicked into high gear I lost my job, and after 6 months of running through my savings I cashed out my meager 401k so I could pay rent.

The BWM is coming from inside the thread :spooky:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

CannonFodder posted:

In 2008 as the recession kicked into high gear I lost my job, and after 6 months of running through my savings I cashed out my meager 401k so I could pay rent.

I was dumb in the military and only contributed to my TSP for the last few years I was in. I got in a rough spot after my divorce and ended up having to move for a job (which has been super good since) and had to cash out my TSP to afford 1st month, security, moving costs, etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Same thing happened to me buddy.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I at least didn't cash out an IRA or anything, but I put Earnest money on a house that was 3x of the one we eventually bought. The down payment would have wiped out mine and my spouse's savings, and we'd have been on a traditional 30 year mortgage with no discretionary income for the foreseeable future. We were considering it because it was an awesome house in a great school district just out of the city limits and had everything we eventually wanted for a family home, though it was huge for our current needs.

I asked before we pulled the trigger if the house was worth no vacations for X years and the stress of being paycheck to paycheck; I don't think they'd thought of it that way, and thankfully the answer was no.

Six months later I got laid off. Best $1,000 I ever "spent"

The house we ended up getting I'm on track to pay off in less than 10 years because I can double up on payments AND still have fun money. During the layoff I had enough savings that I didn't even have to cut back on the mortgage, but it was such a relief to have that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
When I was 21-22 I made the excuse of "oh I moved to a different state, so since I'm not getting student loan notifications I don't have to pay them."

Shocking end result: they hit my credit, I had to start paying them.

• Locked thread