Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Its really nice when you manage to get a boss stuck in a corner, and you get to do to them what every souls player suffers when they get cornered.

Oop, new page: I'm talking about Sekiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really like that there's no levels or anything, so if I run into something absurdly powerful I know that I can't just go grind for more attack power or stamina or whatever, I need to just go in there and use the tools I have better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There’s literally upgrades for more health and damage in the game though and they make a huge difference

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I know, but there's a big difference between getting 1/4 of a Heart Container after a miniboss or something and being able to clown on slime scholars for ten minutes leveling up seven times.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm following an LP of Pokémon Insurgence, a fan game. A little thing I like is that it has LGBT+ characters and is not weird about it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Another little thing about Sekiro is three fold. 1) You almost always have more than one route to explore, 2) You can freely teleport between shrines, and 3) You have an item that will return you to the hub or your last shrine for no cost. While you can't grind out levels to raise your stats, if you run into a roadblock you can usually put a pin in that area and explore somewhere else. Some mini bosses might be easier for you than others, and generally speaking every four mini bosses you kill nets you more life and posture. You might even run into a big boss that you're able to tackle, which makes you attacks stronger, so you can then jump back to that first area and put your new skills to work. Often it's not even about making your numbers bigger, but it's gaining the confidence and timing needed to handle that tricky spot. And none of the areas I've found have felt like they were above "my level". Like, in Dark Souls you could find yourself in the catacombs pretty early but you'd know that you were doing something wrong because nothing stayed dead and everything took off huge chucks of health. In Sekiro every basic enemy can be killed in one deathblow, so the challenge becomes less "am I strong enough" and more "am I skilled enough", which can mean either skilled enough to sneak around and pick everyone off silently, or skilled enough to apply loads of pressure and overwhelm your opponents. Usually it's a mix of the two, making the call to assassinate the big guy with the sword and engage the archer instead of vice versa.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Mikl posted:

it has LGBT+ characters and is not weird about it.

:allears: Please elaborate.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

packetmantis posted:

:allears: Please elaborate.

There's a trans character and a gay character so far. The fact that they're LGBT+ is only mentioned in passing, is only part of their personality, and the game doesn't draw attention to it.

Other games have LGBT+ characters either be the butt of jokes (or a source of ~drama~), or the fact that they're not cishet is what defines them as characters, or they're signposted in a way you can tell the developers are going "we've got a gay / trans character, see how progressive we are!". (Or a combination of the three, or even all three at the same time.)

I know it's ironic considering the cesspool the internet in general and some fandoms in particular are, but a Pokémon fangame manages to get LGBT+ characters right. It's actually nice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sekiro spoilers:

Early on you can find a giant snakeskin shed draped over a tree on a cliffside a bit out of the way.

A bit later, you encounter the snake itself, and it's powerful enough to more or less one-hit you, and you basically have to run/hide from it.

Soon you come to a small palanquin and can hide out in it, but obviously snakes hunt well by smell and heat so it immediately sticks its giant snake face right up to the palanquin. It's eye is as big as your torso, easily. And it looks at you. It's pretty obvious that it can hit you through the palanquin if it wants.

....and then the Deathblow Indicator lights up and what has been an insanely tense and freaky moment turns violent and triumphant as you stab the thing's eye right the gently caress out of its head.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Sekiro spoilers:

Early on you can find a giant snakeskin shed draped over a tree on a cliffside a bit out of the way.

A bit later, you encounter the snake itself, and it's powerful enough to more or less one-hit you, and you basically have to run/hide from it.

Soon you come to a small palanquin and can hide out in it, but obviously snakes hunt well by smell and heat so it immediately sticks its giant snake face right up to the palanquin. It's eye is as big as your torso, easily. And it looks at you. It's pretty obvious that it can hit you through the palanquin if it wants.

....and then the Deathblow Indicator lights up and what has been an insanely tense and freaky moment turns violent and triumphant as you stab the thing's eye right the gently caress out of its head.

God, such an amazing moment. Like I really loved bloodborne but I can't think of any moment as butt clenching as that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Something that took me a bit by surprise in Sekiro is the (mild spoiler but still) time of day changes as the game goes on. It's just all so pretty, and it makes running through places again for the hell of it a lot of fun. :allears:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sekiro spoilers:

This makes me want to pick up the game and I know if I do the map situation will drive me apeshit.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dienes posted:

This makes me want to pick up the game and I know if I do the map situation will drive me apeshit.

Do it, get apeshit

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dienes posted:

there's actually a map in sekiro accessible from the travel menu

it's just a painting of the fictional nation setting with labels but by god it's a map. it even marks which label you're in

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm probably not going to get Sekiro because apparently it's for people who found Soulsborne too easy.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm nowhere near the end but so far I've found it to be on a fairly similar level once you get used to how differently it plays. It does lack the "I win" -button that was phantom summoning so people who regularly relied on that to get through hard bosses might have an extra hard time with it though.

Sekiro spoilers:

Another funny detail about this part is that afterwards you look grimy as hell thanks to the eye stab showering you in snake blood.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm only a couple of hours into Sekiro and finding it surprisingly easy so far, I've always played parry-heavy builds and am fresh off a royal guard focused DMC5 run so I think my reflexes are honed in that regard.

I'm sure I'll be eating my words soon though, probably just lulled into a false sense of security by the ease of traversal and stealth kills

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TontoCorazon posted:

Do it, get shat on by an ape

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Be careful, he’s got poison farts.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I just started playing FF XV and 2 of my guys high fived after killing an enemy while running around to fight others. I'm overwhelmed by the fighting so far, but the interactions between the characters is so good.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm probably not going to get Sekiro because apparently it's for people who found Soulsborne too easy.

It's actually fairly forgiving, especially the mooks. You can back off and heal or just run away pretty easily. You'll die a poo poo load to (mini)bosses, but the boss-runs are very straightforward.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

I'm nowhere near the end but so far I've found it to be on a fairly similar level once you get used to how differently it plays. It does lack the "I win" -button that was phantom summoning so people who regularly relied on that to get through hard bosses might have an extra hard time with it though.

Another funny detail about this part is that afterwards you look grimy as hell thanks to the eye stab showering you in snake blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXI0prLsn0

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Kingdom Hearts 3 there are special team up attacks based on amusement park rides and sometimes you kill a bunch of monsters by riding on tea cups.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

In Kingdom Hearts 3 there are special team up attacks based on amusement park rides and sometimes you kill a bunch of monsters by riding on tea cups.

I like the Buzz Lightyear ride

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like about Metro Exodus is that when fighting guys if you kill enough the rest will eventually give up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Push El Burrito posted:

My only complaint is I wish you could pick the ride rather than it being arbitrary. There's a few Worlds where you'll just get long stretches of the same drat Buzz Lightyear target-shooting ride to the point it stops being fun.

My favourite's the Splash Mountain one, incidentally, where you track out a wet and wild river course before riding it back to the starting point with a big final splashdown :allears:.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm only on the first world but the train ride fight against the titan was so good.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

One thing I like about Metro Exodus is that when fighting guys if you kill enough the rest will eventually give up.

That reminds me of that leg break move in Sleeping Dogs that causes all surrounding enemies to back off because they're so grossed out by it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

And then you execute them :black101: No survivors, comrades!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crowetron posted:

That reminds me of that leg break move in Sleeping Dogs that causes all surrounding enemies to back off because they're so grossed out by it.

Any time I was in a training session to learn a new move, I always made sure to use the leg or arm breaker on one of the other students. Just for the sheer brutal cruelty of what's supposed to be a friendly sparring session going so horribly wrong for some random student.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Crowetron posted:

Talion can make such a brutal execution on an Uruk in Shadows of _____ that the rest of them get the gently caress out of there

In the sequel he is pretty much a boogieman for the orcs who are constantly hoping the "Deathless One" doesn't show up

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Playing through Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, the only thing better than the tank designs are the extremely punny names.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

Playing through Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, the only thing better than the tank designs are the extremely punny names.

Ugh I'm sad the third never got officially translated.
The 3DS got loving shafted in the west.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

The Lone Badger posted:

it's hard but a lot of difficulty for most people is it doesn't play like the others so poo poo you learned in prior games works against you, it's more a focus on clashing of swords and countering until you get to Bushido Blade one shot that rear end...plus a lot of stealth slaying

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's one little thing in Sekiro that I really hope gets the notice and praise it deserves: It's told almost entirely through gameplay, and gameplay alone.

So far, I've had exactly two cutscenes. Even Dark Souls had more than that, mostly introducing a boss striding onto the stage and looking scary. I find it really annoying when a game wrenches control away from you so the camera can lazily (and unthreateningly) look towards where the boss is coming from. One of the worst examples for me is in Nier: Automata, where you stride into a wide open obvious-boss-arena, and a cutscene triggers so we can have a few seconds of ominous thudding, birds flapping away, and then a a giant robot jumps over a hedge. It won't scare anyone, because the very fact that there's a cutscene tells me there's a boss coming.

Sekiro has none of that bullshit. Remember back in Dark Souls 1, when you'd be idly exploring, running down some stairs in some weird tower and OH poo poo who's this funny looking guy MAN that's a big shield gently caress he knocked me down and killed me.

Every single boss/miniboss in Sekiro is like that. Your entire introduction and approach to them is so completely (and invisibly!) framed to maximise the tension. The boss reveals are seamlessly woven into the exploration, so whether you see them up ahead or (more terrifyingly) they spring out unexpectedly, you can't hide behind a pre-rendered cutscene. The boss is there, he's coming at you, the fight is happening now

It's a heck of an achievement, and I want more of it.

Everyone made a big fuss about Braid for it's mindbending (*cough* bullshit *cough*) ending, but I felt it never got enough praise for how it introduces and explains it's mechanics almost completely without dialogue (the ring gets like one line of text and some symbols). Similarly reviewers seem to focus on The Witness' philosophical wanking, instead of how it's almost unique in modern puzzle games for being semantically a closed circuit. Most puzzle games need some kind of pre-existing knowledge - maybe you need to know how chess pieces move, maybe you need to be able to do basic maths, maybe you merely need to know that mayonnaise is greasy. Almost every puzzle in The Witness can be solved using only information introduced to you in The Witness, which I think is way more interesting and exciting.

(The exceptions being the awful birdsong puzzle which requires you to already associated high pitch with spatial height, and the colour puzzles which are easier if you know colour theory. But I think the early puzzles are able to teach you those things too)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

Talion can make such a brutal execution on an Uruk in Shadows of _____ that the rest of them get the gently caress out of there

In the sequel he is pretty much a boogieman for the orcs who are constantly hoping the "Deathless One" doesn't show up

Sekiro does the opposite and it's absolutely hilarious in some contexts.

Sneak up on a dude, start a backstab, and some guy 15 feet away gets a yellow marker on his head, kind of suspicious maybe! Then the dude explodes into a red mist of blood, which apparently means everything is fine, nothing is wrong, and the suspicious one goes back to passive immediately. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got far enough in that there are aspects of Ni No Kuni 2 that are actually a bit interesting and I like that, like in most of these kinds of recruitment games you find the characters in the world and do the quest then they go to you, and this game is no exception - however, very occasionally, one of your already recruited guys with struggle with something and ask you to find someone in the world to help them - I like that it's not just people inviting themselves, but your kingdom actively headhunts too. Also the twist that Mausinger was actually very incorruptible and to get him to murder the king the villain had to corrupt Mauser's adviser first to find and widen any cracks in his moral compass. was fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's one little thing in Sekiro that I really hope gets the notice and praise it deserves: It's told almost entirely through gameplay, and gameplay alone.

Sekiro has way more of the story told through dialog than Dark Souls, I found. There's still plenty of environmental storytelling but if anything that's less of a focus than Souls or Bloodborne. Also most of the really important bosses have cutscenes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Sneak up on a dude, start a backstab, and some guy 15 feet away gets a yellow marker on his head, kind of suspicious maybe! Then the dude explodes into a red mist of blood, which apparently means everything is fine, nothing is wrong, and the suspicious one goes back to passive immediately. :allears:

Around the shower-of-blood he decided he wasn't getting paid enough to investigate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Sekiro has way more of the story told through dialog than Dark Souls, I found. There's still plenty of environmental storytelling but if anything that's less of a focus than Souls or Bloodborne. Also most of the really important bosses have cutscenes.

Ahhh thats a shame. The lack of "ooooh look at the big gribbly monster" mini-cutscenes is still cool though.