Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I feel like chicken with cheese should be a loophole because it's not like they're using chicken milk.

I'm under the impression that the whole idea is "you can't be sure that milk didn't come from its mother, so avoid it just in case". So yeah, you would think chicken is fine there. But it was already starting to drift pretty far from the original text early on, so I guess they just ran with it.

My favorite interpretation of that command is that it's basically just like, dude that's messed up, you could've gotten the milk from any goat and you chose its mother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, you know. That new mother lactation. It's just better.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm under the impression that the whole idea is "you can't be sure that milk didn't come from its mother, so avoid it just in case". So yeah, you would think chicken is fine there. But it was already starting to drift pretty far from the original text early on, so I guess they just ran with it.

My favorite interpretation of that command is that it's basically just like, dude that's messed up, you could've gotten the milk from any goat and you chose its mother?

The way it was explained to me, Jewish law will often take the broadest possible interpretation of a commandment to avoid any possibility of inadvertently breaking it, so "don't cook a goat in its mothers milk" becomes "never cross the streams with meat and dairy".

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

You also get things like "don't appear to be breaking a commandment, or someone might see you doing it and think it's okay to do that, and thus you have brought them into sin". Which means, no, your fake bacon is not kosher.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Freudian posted:

You also get things like "don't appear to be breaking a commandment, or someone might see you doing it and think it's okay to do that, and thus you have brought them into sin". Which means, no, your fake bacon is not kosher.

For the curious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marit_ayin

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Could you have eggs and chicken?

Mother And Child Reunion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0BUsDf0dxY

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Bargearse posted:

The way it was explained to me, Jewish law will often take the broadest possible interpretation of a commandment to avoid any possibility of inadvertently breaking it, so "don't cook a goat in its mothers milk" becomes "never cross the streams with meat and dairy".

That makes a lot of those jewish "rules lawyering" things re: sabbath even weirder to me; like spanning an eruv around the entire city so it counts as a fence so you can move around freely during Sabbath - or having timers on ovens/lights and special elevators to get around "no fires on sabbath" rules

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
How hard is it to not cook meat in dairy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tUX4tQ6m7U

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fishstick posted:

That makes a lot of those jewish "rules lawyering" things re: sabbath even weirder to me; like spanning an eruv around the entire city so it counts as a fence so you can move around freely during Sabbath - or having timers on ovens/lights and special elevators to get around "no fires on sabbath" rules

they should just copy what mathematicians would do and just put up a small fenced circle/shape define the inside as outside and the outside as inside. there, both the city and the community save money on upkeep.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

PhazonLink posted:

they should just copy what mathematicians would do and just put up a small fenced circle/shape define the inside as outside and the outside as inside. there, both the city and the community save money on upkeep.

I've been meaning to ask the local Rabbi about the concept of a Mobius eruv for the longest time, but I looked it up online and turns out for an eruv to be valid you also need the stated permission of the owners of all properties within the eruv.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Breetai posted:

I've been meaning to ask the local Rabbi about the concept of a Mobius eruv for the longest time, but I looked it up online and turns out for an eruv to be valid you also need the stated permission of the owners of all properties within the eruv.

Seriously?

Most of Manhattan is an eruv. I doubt they're getting every owner's permission.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A friend of mine knew some guys at Brandeis that would get a Korean kid to light their joints for them on the sabbath.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Every single "but what about" in this thread has been thoroughly thought of and debated by rabbis already over the long course of judaism - here is a page summing up many of those arguments and discussions: https://www.thetorah.com/article/why-chicken-and-cheese-became-prohibited

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

A friend of mine knew some guys at Brandeis that would get a Korean kid to light their joints for them on the sabbath.

SMH, this is against the Halakhah!!! Gentiles are also entitled to their rest on Shabbat. Now, if the Gentile was going around lighting the joints of everyone, and just happened to light your joints, this would not contravene the mitzvot.

(My sister told me about a legally iffy case from a place she worked, where she found a group of Jews outside a dark room saying "what a wonderful room, it would be perfect for our activity this evening! if only the light were on!" until she took the hint.)

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I live in a massively ultra-Orthodox Judaism area (not Jewish myself) and I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked on a street to come in and turn a boiler/light/whatever electrical on if they've forgotten for the Sabbath. Bit of a rough area so I guess I look like the least threatening gentile! Happy to help.

The only really awkward one was a little Jewish lass roaming about in the wee hours (I work nights and was walking home) begging me to come in and reattach the tube connection on her older sister's electric breast pump. Older sis must've been about 18/19 and I'm in my 40s. She protected her modesty with a blanket but I felt like I should be put on a list or something.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lol organized religion is so dumb

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

Are...are you okay? Do we need to call someone?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Call a priest so I can say they’re dumb

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Brother Tadger posted:

Well yes but it's considered rude to point out.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Call a priest so I can say they’re dumb

Brother Tadger or the priest? :raise:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I also like and respect the old Jews eating Chinese food at Christmas justification of "We don't actually know for sure which of these strange exotic dishes contain pork or shellfish so it's basically kosher to eat it it indiscriminately."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A time-honored tradition,

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/12/21/18151903/history-jews-chinese-food-christmas-kosher-american

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

There's a really good Israeli restaurant in Philly, and on Christmas eve they do Jewish Christmas, which is they have a special dinner where they cook Chinese food and show a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

franco posted:

Brother Tadger or the priest? :raise:

The stinky priest

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
my dad and I watched crouching tiger in the theaters on Christmas Eve and then we're craving Chinese food and ever since then we've been the only gentiles at our local for years, it rules

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Okay this way linked in that page and it's pretty hosed up:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_pekuah

Basically if you remove the alive offspring from the mother after it's been slaughtered kosherly, it counts as an organ, and thus you can slaughter it in whatever manner at a later date

You can also breed two of these "technically organs" animals together and their offspring also counts as "organs" for the purposes of slaughter

Religious rules lawyering can gently caress off.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Think the Jewish derail has lasted long enough, let's return to foolish corporate practices, :thanks:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just noticed the thread title, and thank you!

One day I'll have titled every thread I post in and then you'll all be sorry :twisted:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/Budweiser/status/1593555466856054784

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

e: just saw the mod post... sorry

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Well yes but it's considered rude to point out.

that's how we got here in the first place

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

I know this is pages ago but gently caress afrin withdrawal. It’s the quickest way to experience drug addiction in the world.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Toasted posted:

I know this is pages ago but gently caress afrin withdrawal. It’s the quickest way to experience drug addiction in the world.

I replied to it asking if they want me to gently caress the bottle and they hid it from the replies.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

chitoryu12 posted:

I replied to it asking if they want me to gently caress the bottle and they hid it from the replies.

I love the hidden replies section because it's just a one-click button to "here's where the good tweets are".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Captain Toasted posted:

Just getting straight up trolled now.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Red Oktober posted:

Just getting straight up trolled now.
I prefer to interpret this as the Afrin rep tryin' to get his dick sucked.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Not sure if this counts as marketing, but I think it fits here.

https://twitter.com/JoannaMang/status/1595443241884651520

What happened to her? She drove drunk and killed two kids in her Mercedes.

https://twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/1595511364126375936

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Something happened on Saddle Mountain Drive. She just happened to be there. In her SUV. That she was driving drunk. At more than twice the speed limit. And with which she ran over two kids then fled the scene.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ghost emoji posted:

Not sure if this counts as marketing, but I think it fits here.

https://twitter.com/JoannaMang/status/1595443241884651520

What happened to her? She drove drunk and killed two kids in her Mercedes.

https://twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/1595511364126375936

The woman, and the people involved with putting out the article deserve to be eaten alive by ants.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The editor is also an Epstein associate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
She also applied for and received a reinstatement of her drivers license.