Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm glad to see Eldrazi is still good, modern could do with more archetypes. I look forward to Kaladesh breaking Affinity (again)

e: also banning Twin and unbanning Ancestral made Modern so much better, wow.

Long live Thopter Sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

11-4 at GP Charlotte with junk midrange/goodstuff. Picked up my last loss and knocked out of top 64 in round 15 :( Day 2 went waaay smoother than day 1. Got to take Brad Nelson out of the tournament. Not bad for my first GP and still had a lot of fun.

How salty was he?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

How salty was he?

Hard to tell, he didn't say too much. He was on jund and my deck preys on jund anyway. Game 1 he took 12 off Bob and game 2 took 9 off Bob lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I look forward to Kaladesh breaking Affinity (again)

I hope not, that's by far my worst matchup as Mill. Every card in my SB could theoretically come in against it (not that I would want to board in everything).

11-4 at GP Charlotte with junk midrange/goodstuff. Picked up my last loss and knocked out of top 64 in round 15 :( Day 2 went waaay smoother than day 1. Got to take Brad Nelson out of the tournament. Not bad for my first GP and still had a lot of fun.

Would you mind posting your list? Working on my own Junk deck and still looking for ideas.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Just like others have said, today was the best Magic broadcast ever. It's not even close. If WOTC continues this for all GP/PT events, good things are coming. If I were SCG, I would be looking to steal a lot from this coverage.

Eldrazi seems to be good without being oppressive. Control is playable again. Hell, everything feels playable right now. Modern is amazing again and holy gently caress my balls are humming with righteous power right now.

MTGfinance is about to get silly again though. A lot showed up this weekend that wasn't on the radar and should be spiking pretty hard.

this is cfb coverage, not wotc coverage

that's why it's good

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I hope not, that's by far my worst matchup as Mill. Every card in my SB could theoretically come in against it (not that I would want to board in everything).

Would you mind posting your list? Working on my own Junk deck and still looking for ideas.

I'll post it in the eternal thread in the next day or two with a little breakdown when I get home. It felt really good and honestly at least 2 of my losses were purely to variance. Losing a favorable matchup because I didn't see a 4th land in about 15-20 turns feels bad. Most of my losses could have gone either way and I felt like I correctly prepared for the meta. Too many decks trying to play a 1 for 1 game.

I also beat a jeskai nahiri player who managed to resolve 3 ancestral visions.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Back in the day I beat UWR Delver after they resolved 5 copies of Cruise. It was fantastic.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Back in the day I beat UWR Delver after they resolved 5 copies of Cruise. It was fantastic.

:chanpop:

What deck were you running again Fingers McLongDong?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Whoops at that displacer blink on arcbound ravager. Not sure what he was thinking there

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dehtraen posted:

Whoops at that displacer blink on arcbound ravager. Not sure what he was thinking there

presumably, "I've been playing high level magic: the gathering for 8 hours and had a brainfart"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Ironically "board in everything" could be a valid strategy against mill.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

lol @ pascal maynard throwing his cards at a 13 y/o kid thoughtseizing him in the GPLA semis.

e:

The kid is literally using a D20 to track his life and he's either tapping/cutting Maynard's deck when presented to him :3:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
This is the best.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hahaha and the kid goes on to the finals!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
That dismember topdeck

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dehtraen posted:

How big was it? Sure it won't die but taking a big Ravager back down to a 1/1 could be a valid line in some cases.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

lol @ pascal maynard throwing his cards at a 13 y/o kid thoughtseizing him in the GPLA semis.

e:

The kid is literally using a D20 to track his life and he's either tapping/cutting Maynard's deck when presented to him :3:

That entire game was loving glorious.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

e:

Pascal is going to get murdered on twitter/reddit.

double post.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
And by my guess we will have a 13 year old GP champion barring any ridiculous sideboard plan from the merfolk player since affinity crushes merfolk.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

C-Euro posted:

How big was it? Sure it won't die but taking a big Ravager back down to a 1/1 could be a valid line in some cases.

Believe it just had one counter on it. Pascal did it on his own main phase too, I believe.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I did see his decklist yesterday during his Tron match, I just wanted to see how Bridge/Phantasm did on defense and how much work Scribe could do. I really question the need for both Bridge and Phantasm but I think Scribe could have a legit home in the deck especially with 4 Mesmeric Orbs. I was also hoping to see a Set Adrift->mill line for the world's rudest pseudo-Vindicate.
Cough it up pal.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Dehtraen posted:

And by my guess we will have a 13 year old GP champion barring any ridiculous sideboard plan from the merfolk player since affinity crushes merfolk.

Merfolk wins by drawing Hurkyl's Recall game 2 and 3.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
#TeamEthan

Pascal started that game laughing and shaking the kid's hand, then game two is throwing his hand across the table getting Thoughtseized. :lol:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
tbf to pascal i have a feeling that ravager misplay put him on tilt for the rest of the match

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

I want to know as soon as there is a video of this I can watch.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball/v/67956720

time at 8:53:35

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What a loving baby.

Edit: MERFOLK STILL BEST DECK.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 23, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

holy poo poo

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Holy poo poo that was close as fuuuuuuuuuuuck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you jinxed it for the kid you son of a bitch!!!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Wow, I wish all of my games running merfolk vs affinity went that well!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mandatory lesbian posted:

you jinxed it for the kid you son of a bitch!!!

;_;

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

ThePeavstenator posted:

:potg:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
lol just watched the Pascal replay assuming it'd be something egregiously unsporting; it barely registered as anything more than a mildly exasperated / fatigued toss. hardly something you could legitimately skewer a guy for and if it weren't posted about in the thread I wouldn't have even noticed it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol just watched the Pascal replay assuming it'd be something egregiously unsporting; it barely registered as anything more than a mildly exasperated / fatigued toss. hardly something you could legitimately skewer a guy for and if it weren't posted about in the thread I wouldn't have even noticed it.

Same. The thread made it sound so much more dramatic and petulant.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Also, that was the first GP win for merfolk in modern, right?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

When did round 5 end up starting? SCG said at 4pm that round 5 would start in 30 minutes, and everyone in the card shop I was at just kind of laughed because there's no way they'd process 600 drops in thirty minutes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I can't believe he was even allowed to use a D20. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

When did round 5 end up starting? SCG said at 4pm that round 5 would start in 30 minutes, and everyone in the card shop I was at just kind of laughed because there's no way they'd process 600 drops in thirty minutes.

Somewhere around 6 pm. Sitting around waiting sucked. We didn't leave until close to midnight and they extended the start of day 2 to 10 am.

• Locked thread