Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gregday
May 23, 2003

Fox Ironic posted:

One common interpretation of transubstantiation is that those present are literally transported to the time and place of Jesus's temporal existence while simultaneously existing in the present.

I may have oversimplified the Time Travel thing.

This poo poo is what created Hodor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bip Roberts posted:

I bet it really hurts to have a giant python bite you.

ehh, balls aren't that bad, and rarely bite, they are as close to a friendly snake as you can get. and balls only get 4 feet. but yeah they do hurt if they do strike.

Fox Ironic posted:

One common interpretation of transubstantiation is that those present are literally transported to the time and place of Jesus's temporal existence while simultaneously existing in the present.

holy poo poo my brain hurts.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Slate Action posted:

"Clinging to their guns and religion" is the truest thing Obama has ever said.

:sigh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZIZeaIk-uE

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the only practical difference between a cult and a religion is membership number
The Mormons are a great deal larger -- assuming you believe their official numbers, which you probably shouldn't, since they keep all members who fall out of touch on the church's rolls until they would have been 100 -- than many mainstream Protestant groups in the U.S.A. There are purportedly 6.5 million American Mormons, as opposed to about 1.1 million members of the United Church of Christ, one of the "mainline Protestant denominations". Theologically, however, many American Christians wouldn't consider the Mormons Christians because of their views on the Trinity, and the Goodhood of Jesus specifically. So even the "practical" dichotomies break down in practice.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The Orthodox answer to this and similar questions is "poo poo's magic yo".

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Did the Trump campaign get instructions to cover up their Ukraine platform alterations? From who, and why?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_579e5a56e4b0693164c19e09

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the only practical difference between a cult and a religion is membership number
The difference between a cult and religion is whether they encourage anti-social behavior, like isolating yourself from nonbelievers, giving up all your possessions/propery, etc. By this definition the Mormons haven't qualified for a long time.

Piquai Souban posted:

Did the Trump campaign get instructions to cover up their Ukraine platform alterations? From who, and why?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_579e5a56e4b0693164c19e09

Manafort is the obvious culprit.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

This is a very..... incomplete picture of the Bush administration's treatment of Sheehan.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also i never understood why the snake handling churches didn't use use a weird looking ball python morph instead of super deadly one. the verse says snakes not venom saced ones.
God will know. You can't win God's love by using constrictors.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh, balls aren't that bad, and rarely bite, they are as close to a friendly snake as you can get. and balls only get 4 feet. but yeah they do hurt if they do strike.

To bring this full circle, I have an adorable, totally tame Bumblebelly Ball Python.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fox Ironic posted:

I never heard that one during my religious studies minor or time as a practicing catholic. Granted the latter doesn't count for much because I was young.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo9TLT0EJYo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sarmhan posted:

The Orthodox answer to this and similar questions is "poo poo's magic yo".

Metousiosis and Transubstantiation makes my brain hurt because its all just 10 dollar word bullshit from the middle ages to get the nobles and the peasants to believe in.:smuggo: I was raised UCC so it was always supposed to be symbolism and all that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Constant Hamprince posted:

They didn't consider black people to be fully human until the '60s dog

Anos posted:

Some churches think homosexuals are diseased or possessed, right now, today.
On race Mormons were not that far removed from Southern Baptists. Although I'd argue today the Mormons are relatively pragmatic, although also very, very conservative. But like actual real conservatives in the classic sense of the term.

On LGBT rights, the LDS church has been an opponent but also much more willing to compromise than Evangelicals (Mike Pence could've learned from Utah's approach to balancing non-discrimination ordinances with religious opt-outs).

Also, I think Mormon architecture and the Book of Mormon is hilariously bizarre. I'd rather have them and Mormon space Jesus than Evangelicals.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 1, 2016

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Fox Ironic posted:

the orthodox theological position is actually the most reasonable approach ("I don't know God did it") as opposed to the western approach which was to fight decades long holy wars on the matter of when and what way the cracker turns into Jesus before/as you eat it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheTatteredKing posted:

I never heard that one during my religious studies minor or time as a practicing catholic. Granted the latter doesn't count for much because I was young.
Yeah, the Episcopalians (of whom I am one) don't do that either. There is a belief that when we take Communion we are united as one with Christian believers throughout Time, but that's not implying time travel: it's saying that we all do (or did) the same thing. Communion/Mass is a song Christianity has been singing ceaselessly since the death of Christ.

Wikkheiser posted:

On race Mormons were not that far removed from Southern Baptists. Although I'd argue today the Mormons are relatively pragmatic, although also very, very conservative.

On LGBT rights, the LDS church has been an opponent but also much more willing to compromise (which Mike Pence could've learned from).
Au contraire, the Mormon church just this Spring doubled down and said that if a child has one parent living in a same-sex relationship, that child cannot be baptized until s/he reaches age 18 and disavows the parent in question. There have been mass resignations in protest.

An important thing to remember about the [e: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints] is that its supreme head is determined by age. Once you get appointed to the Quorum of the Twelve, the goal is to outlive everybody else up until the point when the previous Prophet croaks. If the current Prophet died today, he'd be replaced by a man, Russell Nelson, born in 1924. That builds a *large* lag into the church's official social positions.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 1, 2016

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/759855911238238208

"While Trump hasn't mastered basic facts about the world, he has mastered Putin's talking points on Crimea"

Seems more like he had no idea what he was talking about to me, but given recent polls show everybody despises Putin, pushing this link makes sense from HFA

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

You can push both angles since they both point to Trump being uniquely unqualified for the office. He's either staggeringly ignorant or in the tank for Putin.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Wikkheiser posted:

On race Mormons were not that far removed from Southern Baptists. Although I'd argue today the Mormons are relatively pragmatic, although also very, very conservative.

So they're not that much more conservative then the church that schismed specifically so they could keep treating black people as livestock, cool. Look man, they're still the church that had to be forced at gunpoint to renounce polygamy and was founded by a con artist on the basis of golden tablets only he could see, we can tolerate their religion while still thinking it's obviously horseshit.

E: More on topic
https://twitter.com/bertbrantley/status/759788648615276545

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

TheTatteredKing posted:

Trying to find where I read it, phone posting, sorry.

IIRC, it had more to do with the Mass itself than the Communion, but the Communion is what initiates it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Fox Ironic posted:

Trying to find where I read it, phone posting, sorry.

IIRC, it had more to do with the Mass itself than the Communion, but the Communion is what initiates it.

it sounds pretty heterodox to me, but theres a lot of wacky poo poo out there

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/759754157528059904

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

So they're not that much more conservative then the church that schismed specifically so they could keep treating black people as livestock, cool. Look man, they're still the church that had to be forced at gunpoint to renounce polygamy and was founded by a con artist on the basis of golden tablets only he could see, we can tolerate their religion while still thinking it's obviously horseshit.
Well yeah. The Mormons have a nasty history with racism. The LDS church is also very, very American and comes out of American religious and social traditions. Racism is deeply embedded in that.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Wikkheiser posted:

Well yeah. The Mormons have a nasty history with racism. The LDS church is also very, very American and comes out of American religious and social traditions. Racism is deeply embedded in that.
The history and importance of racism aka 'race relations' in the US is still underappreciated by many, even on the left. Race has touched every aspect of our society, from economics and education to religion. Even the structure of our cities reflects it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i really dig the "i've heard the people of crimea really want to be in russia" line. really drives home that he's just spouting russian propaganda.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Crimea is part of Russia and the international community needs to get over it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

agreed but only if california is a part of aztlan

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There is a world of difference between "We can't do anything about Crimea" and "what Russia did was justified".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wikkheiser posted:

On race Mormons were not that far removed from Southern Baptists. Although I'd argue today the Mormons are relatively pragmatic, although also very, very conservative. But like actual real conservatives in the classic sense of the term.

On LGBT rights, the LDS church has been an opponent but also much more willing to compromise than Evangelicals (Mike Pence could've learned from Utah's approach to balancing non-discrimination ordinances with religious opt-outs).

Also, I think Mormon architecture and the Book of Mormon is hilariously bizarre. I'd rather have them and Mormon space Jesus than Evangelicals.

pretty much. the few Mormons i have met have been genuinely great people. so how did Utah's laws work differently, then say pences bullshit?

this. Smith and young and most of the other founders were nutjobs or more likely a conmen devoted to the long haul. But idk, alot of them seem really happy.

i hope this gets called out.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Sure is weird how that "economic discontent" appeared years before any economic problems, back in the 60s.

Hahaha it's like a loving bat signal for Mr Pedantic

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Again, George Bush had Rove orchestrate a campaign to smear Sheehan in the media. They were smarter about it than Trump, but they did the same thing, if not worse.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Come to think of it, I haven't read any man on the street type interviews with Trump supporters for several weeks. Are there any good ones? I must understand their mind.

Or detailed survey results about what they see in him, I guess.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
The Crimean referendum was legit but the democratic primary wasn't because Emails

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shiksa posted:

i really dig the "i've heard the people of crimea really want to be in russia" line. really drives home that he's just spouting russian propaganda.

There've been referendums on the topic going back to the 90s with 70%+ support for rejoining Russia.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I don't know about you, but when I think of "fair and honest voting" I think "Putin's Russia".

Also, even if a majority may want to rejoin Russia, that doesn't justify a goddamned invasion.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Joementum posted:

Again, George Bush had Rove orchestrate a campaign to smear Sheehan in the media. They were smarter about it than Trump, but they did the same thing, if not worse.

GWB gets wrongly portrayed as a moron a lot of the time but still 'dumber than Dubya' is not a good look on a presidential candidate

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

ok question, how is the "drink any deadly thing" part dealt with? like, if they actually believe this stuff couldn't they just drink gasoline to prove it instead of bothering with the snakes?

They also drink poison.

quote:

As in the early days, worshipers are still encouraged to lay hands on the sick, speak in tongues, provide testimony of miracles, and occasionally consume poisons such as strychnine.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
George bush 2 thought weird old bible demons did 9/11

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Joementum posted:

There've been referendums on the topic going back to the 90s with 70%+ support for rejoining Russia.

The referendum was perfectly legitimate, just ask the man in the balaclava with the Moscow accent who was guarding the ballot boxes from disruptive elements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
"Trump, who is not as rich as he says he is, has been capitalizing on economic anxiety surrounding the post-2008 recovery and the results of trade agreements"

*Fishmech and TBW comically collide as they try to rush through the thread door*

• Locked thread