Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

drat, only 63

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rest in peace.

gently caress 2024 so far

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Rest in peace.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Meowywitch posted:

Rest in peace.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Meowywitch posted:

Rest in peace.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Meowywitch posted:

Rest in peace.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

Rest in peace.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Symphonia is like my favorite game and I've still never gone thru a version with the PS2 content...so I own Chronicles on PS3 now

My question is this: is there a guide for all the missables in this version (and its sequel) like the old Kouli guides back in the day?

Thanks for any reply.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The main things I remember about Chronicles is Colette in Lloyd's outfit and that they nerfed the gold payout of the dragon in the mine.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
lately i've been replaying tales of the arbys for the 3ds and have been very much enjoying myself but it's funny how sci-fi it is, like every 20 minutes the plot stops so that tear jade et al can explain the gyatt fonstone or whatever and luke can be like "shut up you're so annoying"

like the fact that it doesn't become overwhelming in the end is a tremendous feat of rpg writing imho. but it is funny. anyway natalia owns really hard.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

saladscooper posted:

anyway natalia owns really hard.

:hmmyes: No lies detected.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

saladscooper posted:

lately i've been replaying tales of the arbys for the 3ds and have been very much enjoying myself but it's funny how sci-fi it is, like every 20 minutes the plot stops so that tear jade et al can explain the gyatt fonstone or whatever and luke can be like "shut up you're so annoying"

like the fact that it doesn't become overwhelming in the end is a tremendous feat of rpg writing imho. but it is funny. anyway natalia owns really hard.
back in those days the tales series actually put a lot of thought into the setting in a way that got kinda ditched around vesperia (but especially around xillia.) like tales of eternia's made up language is actually fairly involved and not just a simple 1:1 cipher like some video game languages.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Luke's quest to bring back the 5 for $5 roast beef was really compelling

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Endorph posted:

back in those days the tales series actually put a lot of thought into the setting in a way that got kinda ditched around vesperia (but especially around xillia.) like tales of eternia's made up language is actually fairly involved and not just a simple 1:1 cipher like some video game languages.

Melnics is very funny, if you tilt your head to the side and read from top to bottom along the line some of it basically is 1-1 capitalized English letters, but with weird poo poo like the middle prong of an E facing backwards, a B is just a B and so on. But some is just a weird mush like Z looking more like a stylized R, if you can figure it out you can decipher what Meredy is saying early on, yes it's huge spoilers, and read the inscription in the Regulus Knoll cave, which is never translated if I recall correctly.

Eternia was cool.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Eternia kicks a ton of rear end. I never did get to play the version with restored skits, so maybe I need to dust off my psp.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SettingSun posted:

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SettingSun posted:

having to bring all the crinkle fries to the tower of rem was pretty silly though

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://x.com/karoshimyriad/status/1792789813562929487?s=46&t=muxNUhW_7hGxZBXXhGDh8g

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well that's longer than most Tales mobile games have lasted.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just hope this isn't a sign that Tales is like, actually going to die for real as a franchise. Like it just feels weird since when I got into this franchise in like 2008, it felt like I couldn't keep up with all the releases. And now in the past few years its been mobile games shutting down left and right, a middling Symphonia port, middling Arise DLC etc. Is there even anything to indicate another console game is being made?

Really need that "hopium" right now, as the kids say.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of the rays is dying after a seven year run and having added literally every character that's ever been playable in a tales game to it. i dont think its a sign the franchise is dead. this isnt a 'failure,' its a live service game that was never meant to last forever reaching the natural endpoint of its lifecycle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

franchises generally dont die after releasing the best selling entry ever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also tales of the rays is being given like, a loving treatment. there will be an offline version that will save all your progress from the game and let you still do battle challenges and every event they ever put into the game if you want. it is not being punted out the door out of loathing and failure.

theyre releasing a promo video for the offline version come on

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

bring back crestoria assholez

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Raxivace posted:

I just hope this isn't a sign that Tales is like, actually going to die for real as a franchise. Like it just feels weird since when I got into this franchise in like 2008, it felt like I couldn't keep up with all the releases. And now in the past few years its been mobile games shutting down left and right, a middling Symphonia port, middling Arise DLC etc. Is there even anything to indicate another console game is being made?

If they’re not gonna make another good one then I’d be fine with them leaving us with what we already have.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

*looks at Visions of Mana being the first original Mana game in 15 years, or Castlevania being functionally dead*

oh for sure, man.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's cool they're doing an offline version, not all mobile games get that retirement.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I played ffrk for years before they shut off global. Never got an offline version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Symphonia dungeons are reminding me why they eventually turned into just rooms connected by hallways in later games.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Symphonia dungeons are reminding me why they eventually turned into just rooms connected by hallways in later games.

weird to think that it isn't even the tales games with the worst dungeons (that would be Graces)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I found more of Symphonia's dungeons much worse than most of Graces'. There's like a couple really bad ones in Graces but the majority of Symphonia's are complete dogshit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry I'm too busy making this fish push an apple

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

The four dungeons of the Symphonia apocalypse:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry I'm too busy making this fish push an apple

The whole "what about Colette's wings" thing is extra dumb because Symphonia has all these half-assed forced Phantasia callbacks but Phantasia also had a puzzle where the answer hinged on remembering that one of your party members was on a flying broom and could clear a hole.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think about that game's teleporter puzzles more often than I should.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Caphi posted:

The whole "what about Colette's wings" thing is extra dumb because Symphonia has all these half-assed forced Phantasia callbacks but Phantasia also had a puzzle where the answer hinged on remembering that one of your party members was on a flying broom and could clear a hole.

There's also another dungeon earlier in the game where the answer to a puzzle is Colette going "oh I'll just fly up and push the switch" and then doing so, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its just consistent with how little the second half of the game gives a poo poo about colette

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The gorge rules actually

wheres the frigging sewer?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Where do you think you find the Great Ax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Meowywitch posted:

The gorge rules actually

wheres the frigging sewer?

The sewer is the one with the giant rat.

Also the Gorge loving sucks, "let's do an hour and a half of puzzles to make flowers fly us around and split a waterfall" when one of the party members has pacts with the summon spirits of wind and water respectively and could solve all this poo poo in five seconds.