Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

:bahgawd:

That's old even for me. I remember grandpa and grandma having milk delivery and how they left tokens for the delivery man. He had a full dairy price list in tokens, like 1l of milk 2 tokens, cottage cheese 3, chocolate milk 2, etc. I thought that would be the coolest job ever when I was 5 years old.

I am thinking that disappeared in the early 80s?

I can't remember the last time I saw milk bags. I will keep an eye out next time I go shopping to see if they are even available here.

Up here it ended in the mid 1990s. I am much younger than I sound.

I also can't remember the last time I saw milk bags. I don't think I've ever seen them in the case at my local co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If I actually drink milk, I'm going to be chained to the toilet for the next day or so.

I can handle it as an ingredient, and can even handle a bowl of cereal, but actually drinking a glass of milk makes my digestive system go into "gently caress you and die" mode. A smoothie makes me gassy as hell for a bit, but I'm not making GBS threads myself with them.

Somehow Winco only charges a little over $1 for a gallon, while even Wal-Mart is around $3. Guessing they're selling it as a loss leader..

I'll probably go through a bit more milk once I get a blender again and start making my own smoothies. But for now I pretty much only use it for cereal, oatmeal, coffee, and I add it to scrambled eggs before I cook them.

Generic Lactase pills are like $5 for a bottle of 60 at walmart, if you enjoy milk products it's an acceptable expense I think.

Another thing that is common where I come from is making yogurt at home, you can buy a yogurt maker for not much money - it's essentially just a hot plate set to just be mildly warm and then turn all your excess milk into straight unflavored yogurt or you can strain it into greek yogurt too. It's filling and good for your digestion.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Lots of milk talk for a mechanical failure thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

Lots of milk talk for a mechanical failure thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eepiJMViz0

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I actually really like the taste and mouth feel of UHT milk.

Where I grew up, UHT was sold/used alongside regular and I like both. It's just what you're used to.

I think we can all agree that skimmed milk is the devil's work, however.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDh0eTmgCPA

Saga fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 3, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is/was definitely one of the most left field derails I've seen.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Now we're talking malking.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Horrible mechanical failures: the price of milk in Denmark.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Up here it ended in the mid 1990s. I am much younger than I sound.

I also can't remember the last time I saw milk bags. I don't think I've ever seen them in the case at my local co-op.

I believe it's actually "illegal" to sell milks in bags in Alberta. The only time I recall seeing milk in bags as a kid was when we went to BC.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Deteriorata posted:

Milk has a limited shelf life, so you're paying for that. You can't buy in bulk and store the excess forever.
Sure you can, buy a cow!

It's the secret Big Dairy doesn't want you to know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought a cow to save on milk but then it just made me hungry for steak and now I have no cow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Please Pasteurize your milk.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You bastards are really milking this derail for all its worth though. Wow. I thought we had a chat thread so people would stop derailing everything else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9k9rHB4EA

e: ever see the entire cylinder head fly off of a diesel engine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_8Fc9qAZcw

and no engine blowing up post is complete without European Maid breaking a block in half and throwing everything north of the crankshaft skyward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsSVLZ6wCI

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 3, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kastein posted:

You bastards are really milking this derail for all its worth though. Wow. I thought we had a chat thread so people would stop derailing everything else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9k9rHB4EA

Udder destruction.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Throatwarbler posted:

Generic Lactase pills are like $5 for a bottle of 60 at walmart, if you enjoy milk products it's an acceptable expense I think.
I've been doing this for a couple years and it works good. Buy the bulk kirkland signature lactase, stick 10 per gallon of milk then drink away. I'm lactose intolerant and go through about 2.5 gallons a week this way.

Now enough bullshit milk derail. I am the horrible mechanical failure today. 1977 320i finally back on the road just in time for the fall BMW meet in the Smoky Mountains. Load everything up to camping and hit the road. 3.2 miles from home I go put pull away from a stop, hear a thunk then stop moving. I'm 99% sure I torqued these to spec when I put everything back together last winter but I think they're getting locktite this time.

Had hydraulic jack, jack stands and my basic toolkit in the car so ~10 minutes later I was back on the road. Turned around, went home and cleaned the garage instead. Now I'm going over the car to see what else I hosed up.

Very fortunate it let go when it did instead of a minute later when I would have been cruising down the interstate. It swung and bumped a few things but nothing compared to the damage had it let go at 70mph or more. Also found out my limited slip differential is actually an open differential :argh:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 3, 2016

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Somehow Winco only charges a little over $1 for a gallon, while even Wal-Mart is around $3. Guessing they're selling it as a loss leader..

This is the correct answer to the milk question. Store brand gallon milk sizes are typically sold as loss leaders, while the smaller sizes are at true prices (and make a profit). Even the $2-3 Walmart prices are loss leaders. The store brand gallons are the same poo poo as the $4-5 name brand gallons. They're supplied and stocked by the exact same distributors. One is a profit losing price to drive business, while the other is the real price that makes a profit. Anyone selling at $1 a gallon is trying to get customers in the door and taking a heavy loss to do so.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

NitroSpazzz posted:

Also found out my limited slip differential is actually an open differential :argh:

Unless it's a torsen. Torsens can only multiply torque from the low torque wheel. If torque is near 0 it's an open.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

FatCow posted:

Unless it's a torsen. Torsens can only multiply torque from the low torque wheel. If torque is near 0 it's an open.

Oh poo poo you're right!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Aren't most BMW LSDs clutch type?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Riiiiight.
Perfectly fine to catastrophic overnight, i'm sur ehtere were no warning noises or pulsing brake pedals.. it went from new brakes to pads sliding off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*horrible shrieking grinding noise every time the car comes to a stop*

(shouting) "No, that's just normal car noises! It always makes that sound!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"See they put metal in there to warn you when the pads are low, that's all that's happening."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Grinding means friction thus braking!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Grinding is the sound of money

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Riiiiight.
Perfectly fine to catastrophic overnight, i'm sur ehtere were no warning noises or pulsing brake pedals.. it went from new brakes to pads sliding off.

My friend had an 88 accord with a manual. We pulled into my driveway with no real brakes grinding noise. He goes to back up and clunk. One of the brake shoes was so worn smooth it just fell out when the piston retracted.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

clam ache posted:

My friend had an 88 accord with a manual. We pulled into my driveway with no real brakes grinding noise. He goes to back up and clunk. One of the brake shoes was so worn smooth it just fell out when the piston retracted.

Reminds me of this one.

"Hey man I think I've got a brake problem"

What's even better is that when I called him over to look at it, it took him about thirty seconds before he figured out why he had a brake problem.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What did the other side look like?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Aren't most BMW LSDs clutch type?
That's true, I'm guessing mine is just worn the gently caress out after 39.5 years and 180k+ miles.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What did the other side look like?

There was a pad but it was metal-to-metal. There was so much play that the piston was just barely in the bore and leaking brake fluid everywhere.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Reminds me of this one.

What's even better is that when I called him over to look at it, it took him about thirty seconds before he figured out why he had a brake problem.

Love those new metallic pads. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

tater_salad posted:

Riiiiight.

My truck has driven fine (check engine lights aside) Since I got it like 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday morning coming to a stop it suddenly made a horrendous cracking noise, and then wouldn't turn left. Front left wheel has visible play while on the ground, so wheel bearing.

No symptoms before it went.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right but generally pads have wear bars.. I figured what was being posted was they wore down. And fell out

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Beach Bum posted:

Reminds me of this one.

I got a good one in my bay right now ill take pics tomorrow.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

My truck has driven fine (check engine lights aside) Since I got it like 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday morning coming to a stop it suddenly made a horrendous cracking noise, and then wouldn't turn left. Front left wheel has visible play while on the ground, so wheel bearing.

Not impossible, but far more likely you weren't used to sounds that a new vehicle should or shouldn't be making, and you missed it.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

You know being a used vehicle is a symptom? Always have a trusted mechanic do a once over.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tater_salad posted:

Right but generally pads have wear bars.. I figured what was being posted was they wore down. And fell out

I can't think of a way* for pads to wear enough to fall out, they are captive between the disc and caliper.

*Other than the friction material coming off the backing plate or to wear through the caliper.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Krakkles posted:

Not impossible, but far more likely you weren't used to sounds that a new vehicle should or shouldn't be making, and you missed it.

Totally possible, but I'd already had that wheel off and checked the bearings at the time.

So unless the symptoms were no play in the wheel, and spins freely, I dunno.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

tater_salad posted:

Wear bars on brake pads? How does that work? You do usually have a little tab that squeals, but they don't always get installed, or put on the right side so they just pop off. But the people that let the pads fall out of the caliper probably aren't going to notice that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've had a PO break the wear indicator tabs off the brake pads to keep me from realizing they were so worn before.

Either that or both of them just happened to fall off. Either way, the price was right and I didn't care.

Metal on metal brakes actually work REALLY WELL - significantly better than actual brake pads, in my experience. They just don't handle high heat well (they stick together when they get all glowy and poo poo) and grab real bad, and wear life is horrible. I've had multiple cars either delaminate a pad on me or run out without me realizing due to the indicator tabs being gone, and I've always noticed it pulling to the padless side just as I noticed the brakes grinding.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 5, 2016