Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

BisonDollah posted:

Very weird reading the last page of thread, forgetting about it then watching Tiger King on Netflix. Untrustable definitely should do an AMA.

My family made me watch it with them and kept asking who I knew. I was there in 2009 so yeah I've met and interacted with John Finlay, Joe Exotic, and John Reinke. The part about the morning meetings was like weird deja vu because I remember that poo poo. You'd get woke up at dawn and shuffled into the gift shop where Joe would scream at everyone in a coke/meth-fueled rage about whatever was bothering him. Also the part where the producer is sitting in the park and talking about how stressed the reality show thing is making him? That's Joe's backyard. I sat back there and smoked cigarettes and called my mom every night to let her know how things were going. Lots of things in that documentary brought back a lot of weird memories. At least I never ate off the meat truck...that I know of. Also Tiger King never mentions that Reinke has a colostomy bag. I know that because it once exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PYF Unnerving Article or Story: At least I never ate off the meat truck

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/StephenMerchant/status/1244080223089504256

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I still think anyone less than Danny McBride as Joe Exotic would be a travesty.

Also I support dark horse Jim Gaffigan as Doc Antle
https://twitter.com/mclenna/status/1242977773800558593?s=20

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
John Travolta is Doc Antle.

Thomas Lennon is Joe Exotic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

John Travolta is Doc Antle.

and Ted Nugent as the other one from Indiana or whatever

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joe is a piece of poo poo, yet somehow far more likable than Carole or the creepy sex cult dude

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the coke lord is by far the most likable

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Howard was the most likable for me. I wanted to like Carol because I like most conservation stuff but she was so up her own arse (like everyone in the show admittedly) that I couldn't root for her. What was said in the final episode was very true, that it had nothing to do with the animals, it was all about everyone's ego.

Also, and I guess spoilers for those who haven't seen it:

My theory is that Carol's husband is dead dead but not necessarily that she did it. Hell, he could have been killed in Costa Rica or something. Just that he is dead.
Also Joe was totally set up by Jerry. Jerry was probably the most evil (well him and Antle) and played Joe like a fiddle. He wanted Joe out of the way and guided Joe into the murder plot.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

hawowanlawow posted:

I like how the guy who calmly talked about cutting up a human being somehow came out sounding like the sanest person involved.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Howard was the most likable for me. I wanted to like Carol because I like most conservation stuff but she was so up her own arse (like everyone in the show admittedly) that I couldn't root for her. What was said in the final episode was very true, that it had nothing to do with the animals, it was all about everyone's ego.

Also, and I guess spoilers for those who haven't seen it:

My theory is that Carol's husband is dead dead but not necessarily that she did it. Hell, he could have been killed in Costa Rica or something. Just that he is dead.
Also Joe was totally set up by Jerry. Jerry was probably the most evil (well him and Antle) and played Joe like a fiddle. He wanted Joe out of the way and guided Joe into the murder plot.

and he sold reinke a stolen Hummer

edit: Jerry is the frog looking guy with the bowl cut right?

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Mar 30, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hawowanlawow posted:

Having all the coke is a great way to be the most liked person around.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I like the reality show guy who (I think?) is always smoking. He seems like the only normal person on the show, but also like someone from a David Lynch movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's been a pretty solid debunking of the murder theory, Carol's husband had dementia and regularly wandered off and etc. People forget how often people like that just disappeared back before tons of cameras and phone tracking and stuff.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Untrustable posted:

My family made me watch it with them and kept asking who I knew. I was there in 2009 so yeah I've met and interacted with John Finlay, Joe Exotic, and John Reinke. The part about the morning meetings was like weird deja vu because I remember that poo poo. You'd get woke up at dawn and shuffled into the gift shop where Joe would scream at everyone in a coke/meth-fueled rage about whatever was bothering him. Also the part where the producer is sitting in the park and talking about how stressed the reality show thing is making him? That's Joe's backyard. I sat back there and smoked cigarettes and called my mom every night to let her know how things were going. Lots of things in that documentary brought back a lot of weird memories. At least I never ate off the meat truck...that I know of. Also Tiger King never mentions that Reinke has a colostomy bag. I know that because it once exploded.

I gotta ask, is/was John Finlay as dumb and sweet as he seems on the show? Because he's the only person on the show I liked apart from the guy who got his arm bit off (uses he/him pronouns as I understand it) and Erik the guy with fewer teeth than Finlay but a great head of hair

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

i must compose posted:

I like the reality show guy who (I think?) is always smoking. He seems like the only normal person on the show, but also like someone from a David Lynch movie.

He made a whole documentary about his crack addiction. And yes he smokes crack on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhvSz5G94xI

I feel like he may have hung out with Hunter S Thompson.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Randaconda posted:

Joe is a piece of poo poo, yet somehow far more likable than Carole or the creepy sex cult dude

this is the exact problem with the show and why i can't wait until the craze passes. 'he's so likeable', everyone says of man who abuses animals and treats them like poo poo

that's what people said about ted bundy, man. gently caress that.

no movie, no memes, gently caress joe exotic and not in the way he wants

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Big Cat Sanctuary has always been spoken of well and got misrepresented imho.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Carole has unmistakable crazy eyes and is 100% a shitbag

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sure but it doesn't mean you killed anyone. Stop stigmatizing mental illness as murderousness. It's gross.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was responding to you saying her lovely carny zoo staffed by overworked high school slaves got a bad rap

I am curious as to what you are referring to when you say the murder poo poo was debunked though, since in the show all the dude's friends said he didn't have dementia, and her last minute change to his will literally said "in case of disappearance"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They covered that in legit sources elsewhere, including why those persons had a strong vested interest in that position regardless of the facts. "In case of disappearance" was because he was getting lost and confused and nevertheless regularly hosed off to Costa Rica.

Just because something is in a documentary doesn't mean it's true.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I didn't say it was :psyduck: I was just asking what you were referring to, and now you've just said legit sources again

edit: I do see it was debunked that she sat next to Brittney Spears at the VMAs

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/britney-spears-carole-baskin

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Mar 31, 2020

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Pick posted:

Big Cat Sanctuary has always been spoken of well and got misrepresented imho.

My friend volunteers there and apparently people have started showing up at the entrance to hassle the volunteers, so that's awesome.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/
You could always look at their side of the story, unless you've already made up your mind that a netflix documentary would never stoop to misrepresenting something for drama.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pick posted:

They covered that in legit sources elsewhere, including why those persons had a strong vested interest in that position regardless of the facts. "In case of disappearance" was because he was getting lost and confused and nevertheless regularly hosed off to Costa Rica.

Just because something is in a documentary doesn't mean it's true.

Do you want to post sources for this or something?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Carole's big cat enclosures are as bad as Joe's and she exploits her volunteers. She really seems like the big cat rescue stuff is more to feed her ego than anything else. At least Joe and Doc Antle are up front about it.

That said I don't think she killed her husband and fed her to the cats. He was trying to divorce her and leave her with nothing despite her being legally entitled to alimony. It seems pretty clear to me he was pushed out of a plane between Florida and Costa Rica. Given the story of her running into her cop brother the night the husband disappeared, I think she knows more than she's letting on. Even if she is behind it, she's not as bad of a person as Joe and not even close to Doc Antle's evil.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i will play the tigers

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

eating only apples posted:

I gotta ask, is/was John Finlay as dumb and sweet as he seems on the show? Because he's the only person on the show I liked apart from the guy who got his arm bit off (uses he/him pronouns as I understand it) and Erik the guy with fewer teeth than Finlay but a great head of hair

John was a fuckin loveable doofus. He whined about some of his PS2 games being forgotten when we went on tour. I also remember him listening to Spiderwebs by No Doubt on repeat constantly. That was his jam in 2009. We sat on Joe's couch and he let me play with baby tigers and just genuinely seemed to care about the animals. He was in a weird, lovely, manipulative, abusive relationship and I hope he's doing better now.

I sent off my entire story of working for Joe Exotic to the person who manages the front page. They said they're gonna run it, but haven't emailed again in almost 2 weeks. If it never goes up, I'll start an AT thread.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aesop Poprock posted:

I waited until whole series was completed to post this. There’s 5 parts to it. A megalomaniac tricks an aristocratic French family into doing everything he says, giving him most of their money, turns them all against each other and has them living in fear for over a decade, including having them assault and torture one another. Then he combusts spectacularly when he’s finally brought to court

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpQUkd-Gnc

If you want the story without watching the video (I'm weird that way) the same story is covered pretty well here I think: https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2010/08/aristocrats-and-demons-201008

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

Carole has unmistakable crazy eyes and is 100% a shitbag

hey

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

John was a fuckin loveable doofus. He whined about some of his PS2 games being forgotten when we went on tour. I also remember him listening to Spiderwebs by No Doubt on repeat constantly. That was his jam in 2009. We sat on Joe's couch and he let me play with baby tigers and just genuinely seemed to care about the animals. He was in a weird, lovely, manipulative, abusive relationship and I hope he's doing better now.

I sent off my entire story of working for Joe Exotic to the person who manages the front page. They said they're gonna run it, but haven't emailed again in almost 2 weeks. If it never goes up, I'll start an AT thread.

I'll ask about it in the front page production slack channel

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Carole's a cis het white woman who saw an underprivileged gay man doing exactly what she does and saw profit if she could get rid of him, hth

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Carole's a cis het white woman who saw an underprivileged gay man doing exactly what she does and saw profit if she could get rid of him, hth

And uses the wealth she got from killing her husband to silence her critics via the court system

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Or perhaps wealth she merely got by allowing her unwell husband to die by misadventure.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

seriously though if someone has anything saying he did indeed have dementia please post it, because there's spin and then there's two of his long time employees and his fuckin lawyer just straight up saying he didn't have it

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/

^curious if anyone even bothered to click this because they make a good case that netflix straight out lied about/misrepresented some really easily debunked stuff

idaf about the husband stuff, but they def. misrepresented how the organization conducts itself w/r/t the cats

"Crowd size. Others have gotten the impression that the images of a crowd at the sanctuary represent our daily routine. That film is from our once a year event called the Walkabout. The rest of the year our visitors are taken around in groups of no more than 20 on guided tours where they learn about the stories of the cats and the issues they face in captivity and in the wild. BigCatRescue.org/safari-days/ "

"Cage size. Others have gotten the impression that our enclosures are small because they showed a picture of a tiny part of a large enclosure that Joe Exotic falsely claims is the entire enclosure. Our smallest enclosure is the size of a small house, about 1200 sf, and our largest is over two acres, all in a natural setting full of foliage. In contrast, many of Joe’s tigers live in small, barren prison cells on pebbles. We would not be accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, who have the highest standards in the industry if our cages were what Joe falsely claimed. BigCatRescue.org/cages "

As to why they don't release the cats, they cats the are allowed to rehab and relase (native Florida bobcats) they do, but you literally can't just release most captive bred animals into the wild. I though everyone knew that.
https://bigcatrescue.org/gofree/

"Suing Joe’s mother. Others believed Joe’s claim that in suing his mother we were trying to harass her and take her house. We never made any claim to her house. We had to sue her because she actively participated with Joe, and later with Joe and Jeff Lowe, to transfer assets into and out of her name, that belonged to Joe or his zoo, in order to hide them from us. We reached a settlement agreement with her where she admitted the long list of fraudulent activities she had participated in and it did not require her to make any payments to us. Shirley Schreibvogel Settlement Agreement & Court Order. https://bigcatrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Shriley-Schreibvogel-Settlement-Agreement-8pg-Court-Order.pdf "

again idaf about the lady who runs it, but this charity does actually do good work and netflix appears to have done some reality-show level misrepresentation of what goes on there

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
Antle grosses me out the most, though, given that he openly admits that he’s pursued girls as young as seventeen to be his “apprentices.”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

"Suing Joe’s mother. Others believed Joe’s claim that in suing his mother we were trying to harass her and take her house. We never made any claim to her house. We had to sue her because she actively participated with Joe, and later with Joe and Jeff Lowe, to transfer assets into and out of her name, that belonged to Joe or his zoo, in order to hide them from us. We reached a settlement agreement with her where she admitted the long list of fraudulent activities she had participated in and it did not require her to make any payments to us. Shirley Schreibvogel Settlement Agreement & Court Order. https://bigcatrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Shriley-Schreibvogel-Settlement-Agreement-8pg-Court-Order.pdf "

again idaf about the lady who runs it, but this charity does actually do good work and netflix appears to have done some reality-show level misrepresentation of what goes on there
This wasn't misrepresented. Like the episode directly shows Joe using his mother as a shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Threw that in there because ppl were saying the lawsuits were vindictive and to shut down criticism