Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Fray posted:

I think he's just punting. The plaintiffs could appeal to circuit and try to get it remanded with their standing established, but that will take time. And by giving that unofficial ruling on the merits, he may be signaling the plaintiffs that it's not worth their time to do that.

If the judge is signaling that using tents to conduct drive-thru voting violates state law, then it seems absolutely worth their time to appeal, even if those votes are thrown out after election day. (or maybe especially if those votes are thrown out after election day). It seems consistent for the 5th circuit (or even SCOTUS) to mandate following the state legislature's requirements to the letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

saintonan posted:

If the judge is signaling that using tents to conduct drive-thru voting violates state law, then it seems absolutely worth their time to appeal, even if those votes are thrown out after election day. (or maybe especially if those votes are thrown out after election day). It seems consistent for the 5th circuit (or even SCOTUS) to mandate following the state legislature's requirements to the letter.

He said this: "I also do not find the voting to be illegal. These are registered voters who gave their ID."

He's clearly saying plaintiffs would lose on the merits if it came to that.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
I guess we could say Steve's got the Hotze for voter suppression?

I'll see myself out now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i actually don't like that they have to keep the tent votes separated from the rest, seems ominious

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i say swears online posted:

i actually don't like that they have to keep the tent votes separated from the rest, seems ominious

yeah it's a clever vile ploy, honestly

- doesn't actually get him in as much trouble as making an actual ruling
- reserves the right to throw them out if they'd make a difference
- discourages people from using the tents

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harris Co. was only anticipating 20k through the tents tomorrow. Obviously they should count, but at least most of those people can still cast a vote of election day.

Also the judge said "If I were you I wouldn't drive through vote tomorrow" which is even more ominious

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 2, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What about those of us who drive thru voted in a parking garage?

Are we not included in this?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

This is the point I was making. Not all Trump supporters will have flags in their trucks.

In my experience, I've seen this happen on both sides. If you want some real vile poo poo, look no further than the comment section on videos of people getting physically assaulted for wearing a MAGA hat. Look at the number of people who are stealing and vandalizing Trump signs.

It doesn't matter which candidate you are supporting. People who advocate theft and violence belong in the same class of idiots as the domestic terrorists who tried to run the Biden bus off of the road.

In addition, Trump supporters aren't the only ones ignoring masks. In fact, I posted a video a while back, of BLM protestors crowding a ballot box drop off without wearing masks and yelling loudly. That would terrify me. Isn't that the textbook definition of voter intimidation?

I'm not saying any of your points are without validity, but I think it's important to assess the situation from an unbiased perspective, and realize there are extremists on both ends of the spectrum. The majority of voters (aka the ones who will make a difference in this election) are going to be boring suburban dwelling middle class boomers. They're the ones who need to be convinced to vote for the other ticket, but yelling at them and accusing them of being white supremacists is not the way to do it.

I did find the voter turn out map that was posted earlier interesting though. It will be interesting to see what happens on election day.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I think a button mess-up happened here with the follow-up lol

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
There is now a ton of confusion as to whether people who drive thru voted should fill out a provisional ballot tomorrow “just in case”. I’m leaning towards not doing that (pandemic) but it’s bugging me and will continue to do so until we know who won.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

b0ng posted:

There is now a ton of confusion as to whether people who drive thru voted should fill out a provisional ballot tomorrow “just in case”. I’m leaning towards not doing that (pandemic) but it’s bugging me and will continue to do so until we know who won.

If they toss votes out I think pitchforks and torches are a more reasonable course of action.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
What? Provisional ballots get thrown in a shredder. If they don't give you an actual ballot then they're fuckin with you.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If they toss votes out I think pitchforks and torches are a more reasonable course of action.

If 127,000+ votes get thrown out, I don't see how parts of Houston don't end the night in flames.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like, what would be the previous record for voiding that many ballots in any situation? Is there any precedent?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Tom Perez is in Austin. Just watched him and some other partisans speak. He specifically mentioned the texas supreme court... which I thought was... interesting ? Is there a snow balls chance?

You have to wonder if these are for the volunteers or for the candidates at this point. Jose Garza was the best speaker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1323406834858905600

I don't think people get just how crazy Steve Hotze is

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I don't think people get just how crazy Steve Hotze is
Looks like he's managed to find the loveliest of bedfellows, too:
https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Hiller/status/1323376828522860545
Even the lawyer is just saying the quiet part out loud now, huh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1323397825712001029

Here's his full ruling. He said that the statute governing early voting means tents count as buildings for the purposes of voting, but the election day statue means that tents don't count.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think a button mess-up happened here with the follow-up lol

Yea yea its getting fixed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Yea yea its getting fixed.

That happened to me in this thread and I got an extra full day on top of a sixer for lightly poking fun at zoux. That dude both sidesed Nazis and has a history of both sidesing Nazis, so maybe it'd be ok to just let those two sixers stack or whatever. Or maybe I misunderstood what's getting fixed.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

That happened to me in this thread and I got an extra full day on top of a sixer for lightly poking fun at zoux. That dude both sidesed Nazis and has a history of both sidesing Nazis, so maybe it'd be ok to just let those two sixers stack or whatever. Or maybe I misunderstood what's getting fixed.

No, he is getting something longer.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

No, he is getting something longer.

Ok that's cool.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

b0ng posted:

What's the process for this? I drive thru voted at Toyota Center a couple weeks ago, and sort of want to hedge my bets - do I just go to my voting location, tell them I voted but it might not count since it was drive thru, and they give me a provisional one?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1323397825712001029

Here's his full ruling. He said that the statute governing early voting means tents count as buildings for the purposes of voting, but the election day statue means that tents don't count.

Now, I know that the areas/precincts at the center of this are strongly democratic, but given the strong D lean of early voters as a whole, and the signaling from republicans that they intend to vote ON election day in higher numbers, isn't this still kinda an own goal in that it's going to complicate election day voting for a disproportionately high for the area republican electorate?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

ReidRansom posted:

Now, I know that the areas/precincts at the center of this are strongly democratic, but given the strong D lean of early voters as a whole, and the signaling from republicans that they intend to vote ON election day in higher numbers, isn't this still kinda an own goal in that it's going to complicate election day voting for a disproportionately high for the area republican electorate?
My guess is that Harris County is sufficiently Dem that the math still slightly works out in their favor, and it would help their next push to invalidate those 127k votes already cast.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Dramatika posted:

What's the process for this? I drive thru voted at Toyota Center a couple weeks ago, and sort of want to hedge my bets - do I just go to my voting location, tell them I voted but it might not count since it was drive thru, and they give me a provisional one?

If you take the judge's ruling at face value, he's saying the statute for early voting is different than election day voting. Early voting requires a "structure", but election day voting requires a "building". The judge threaded that particular needle by saying that a tent is a structure, but not a building. Who knows what the 5th Circuit will say, but I would not drive thru vote tomorrow, because it's plausible that those votes will be deemed illegal with no way to add those votes later.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Apparently Fifth Circuit already has this on the docket

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1323415407831752704

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
The worst case scenario for Drive Thru voting is that you can't do it on Election day. The already cast votes will not be thrown own. Not only is that something beyond the pale, Hannen explictly said he wasn't going to toss the already cast votes. Additionally, I think defendants are going to run up again laches (i.e. they waited too long to file). This is nothing more than a disinformation campaign and I'm torn between stomping these claims in the ground and ignoring them

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Is this the Twitter censorship that the cons have been bitching about

https://twitter.com/taddmike/status/1323435763166576642

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

up the 'ra

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

maybe this is showing my rear end but who the hell is @ira

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

He is adjacent to the pod save bros

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s ira glass.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dramatika posted:

Apparently Fifth Circuit already has this on the docket

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1323415407831752704

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1323468264882774016

They added the founder of Conservapedia to the case. It's a real who's who of the top RW shits in the legal realm.

FBS posted:

maybe this is showing my rear end but who the hell is @ira

Ira Madison III, he hosts a show on the Crooked Media (Pod Save America) network about pop culture/politics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Madison_III

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Looks like with this appeal, they're just pushing for the injunction for tomorrow (so far) and not to throw out the 127k votes?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Yep, exactly.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1323472352630476801?s=20

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1323481658767663104?s=20

It's cool and awesome how this is what's happening the night before Election Day

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1323481658767663104?s=20

It's cool and awesome how this is what's happening the night before Election Day

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! They don't even have to win their evil legal challenge to win.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Despite the ridiculous anti-voter judicial climate, I do think Chris Hollins is pretty drat good at his job.

The Toyota Center (which will remain open and satisfies the 'building' technicality discussed earlier today) is at the heart of dem support in Houston, and many of the other 'tent' locations are out towards the suburbs. Did the Republicans just suppress their own voters on their big day?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

My fear when I read "[Harris official aka big time democrat] closes 9 of 10 drive-through polling places" was that they picked the one to keep open based on partisan math, because that's what Republicans would do.

Instead it seems to be based on the actual legal question:

https://twitter.com/CGHollins/status/1323480531309309952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alright y’all, time to lay down your markers:

President: T+2
Senate: C+5
State House: Flip