Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Has anyone ever transported skis on their bike? There's a summer ski centre a few hours away and I think I might have a go. It'll be cross country skis, not alpine, so no huge boots to contend with. The skis are lighter and thinner, but longer than alpine. Two ways to do it I guess, straight back from the top of one of the side cases or astride the side cases which would give me a 6'3" wingspan.

Bad idea? Good advice?

e: This article mentions a guy transporting a shelf from IKEA, extended 46 cm on either side, $300 fine...I am guessing 70+ cm is not going to make things better.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've seen people strap snowboards and skis to bikes. They just put them on one side and run them back to front. Not sure what riding with that setup is like, though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
strap them parallel to the bike?????

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I might cave and go by borrowed or rented car instead, the strapping might work fine but stashing the gear etc in the cases will be a pain. Still, would be a pretty hardcore thing to do.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

e: This article mentions a guy transporting a shelf from IKEA, extended 46 cm on either side, $300 fine...I am guessing 70+ cm is not going to make things better.

Down the line of the bike in place of one of the side cases like this guy has his skis looks like the way to go, though personally I'd be trying to have the rack vertical instead of horizontal to minimise the added width.

Although it sounds like there's some regulation about them not being allowed to overhang the back by more than a metre? Google translate is really bad at blogs in any language.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Down the line of the bike in place of one of the side cases like this guy has his skis looks like the way to go, though personally I'd be trying to have the rack vertical instead of horizontal to minimise the added width.

Although it sounds like there's some regulation about them not being allowed to overhang the back by more than a metre? Google translate is really bad at blogs in any language.

Yeah, I read it the same way. Did some eyeballing, my cases are too narrow to let the skis overhang up front, so it would be a metre and a half of overhang behind...which would be stupid enough if it wasn't (apparently) illegal as well. Car it is. Boring!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

Yeah, I read it the same way. Did some eyeballing, my cases are too narrow to let the skis overhang up front

You mean because they'd hit your leg? Can't you space it out with something?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

You mean because they'd hit your leg? Can't you space it out with something?

Perhaps, but then it would be harder to strap them (or the ski bag I should say) down properly so they don't twist in the wind and loosen.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Point. With enough time you could probably rig up a rack specifically made to strap them in to that would hold them solidly enough, but :effort:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just wear your ski boots and strap to your feet. Bonus outriggers for when you get into the mountains and the roads start getting snowy.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I've put almost 500 miles on my ninja 300, this means I am ready for an extended swing armed turbo salvage title Hayabusa now right?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My cheap ski bag comes with an adjustable sling. I wore it like a backpack while walking around, don't see why you can't do it on a motorcycle. The rest of gear fit into the sport bag, that straps down to the back seat. It's totally do-able.

There are backpacks with ski attachments or just plain shoulder lash straps, check it out
http://www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-ski-shoulder-carrier-lash-handle/257234383.html

Also, just google "backpack ski carrier", they come in vertical and horizontal variety.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I totally forgot about those. I think Tucker Rocky or Western Powersports sells them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

I've put almost 500 miles on my ninja 300, this means I am ready for an extended swing armed turbo salvage title Hayabusa now right?

Only if you're a filthy poor who can't afford an H2R.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Chichevache posted:

Only if you're a filthy poor who can't afford an H2R.

Indeed old man I'd venture that if he's too poor for an H2R, he's too poor for a busa + a system that costs the same as a busa. Which means he'd just be 'upgrading' to another pauper sounding piece of poo poo, eh hwhat? Jolly good!

Vagrant sell your bike then buy a ct90 and pay a guy 2k to build a titanium racing exhaust for it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lest we forget that there are people that legit think like this

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

PaintVagrant posted:

500 miles on in a day? That's respectable.

e/ My Alaska (but mostly Canada) trip is close enough I can look at the 14 day bullshit forecasts. High of 68 and sunny in Prince George? I'll take it. But it's really gonna rain.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 23, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

clutchpuck posted:

500 miles on in a day? That's respectable.

e/ My Alaska (but mostly Canada) trip is close enough I can look at the 14 day bullshit forecasts. High of 68 and sunny in Prince George? I'll take it. But it's really gonna rain.

500 miles in a few weeks I think

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

EX250 Type R posted:

500 miles in a few weeks I think

Not at once! Since I bought it a month or so ago. I put almost 100 on it Saturday on a 6 hour ride with a buddy shopping at a couple bike dealers and exploring for curvy roads.

Now that the weather is full on summer here, I will be riding a LOT more. Goal is to put another 500 on it in the next two weeks or so.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Electrothread x-post. This is pretty interesting. Zero motorcycles didn't drop Chademo because the bike couldn't handle it, but because the chargers sucked.

https://chargedevs.com/features/zer...ting-is-needed/

quote:

Attempting to use chargers from many different manufacturers, Zero found a variety of issues.

In some cases, the chargers deviated from the CHAdeMO spec in ways that created problems specific to the motorcycle’s system. For instance, there were chargers that did not go down to 50 V, instead stopping at 200 V. This particular quirk is not something that would be easily illuminated by the other passenger EVs in production, as their battery packs have nominal voltages in the 300 V range.

There were also more general problems, like isolation check circuits that “were checking it to some insanely harsh value that was beyond what the spec dictated,” said Kluge. “It would come up with an isolation failure fault all the time, even though we met the CHAdeMO spec with megaohms of resistance.”

Other chargers had major communications problems, like noise issues that could get coupled to the CAN bus, or initial negotiation timing that was out of sync with the specification. “One charger had a noise issue that led to our bike-side CAN network going down,” said Kluge. “Not to mention the mouse pad on my laptop going wild. I had to disable it and use the keyboard only while charging.”

Really hope they pick it back up again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PaintVagrant posted:

Not at once! Since I bought it a month or so ago. I put almost 100 on it Saturday on a 6 hour ride with a buddy shopping at a couple bike dealers and exploring for curvy roads.

Now that the weather is full on summer here, I will be riding a LOT more. Goal is to put another 500 on it in the next two weeks or so.

Clutchpuck puts 500 miles on his bike every time he goes to the gas station so you'll have to excuse him.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I kind of don't ride it except for >1000 mile trips.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
First time in San Francisco today. Why does anyone live somewhere other than here. Good god. It's perfect.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Not nearly rich enough, I guess. I moved away like 3 years ago and rents have absolutely skyrocketed since, even in places like el cerrito and richmond. SF is worse than manhattan. I don't think I'll ever be able to move back now :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Don't need to be rich, just need some desirable tech skills and the willingness to spend most of the paycheck on someone else's mortgage.

The smell of open sewer everywhere just doesn't do it for me though.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 24, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's why you live in Oakland, although Oakland is suffering under the same problems.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

That's why you live in Oakland, although Oakland is suffering under the same problems.

Sacramento is the new Oakland. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

Don't need to be rich, just need some desirable tech skills and the willingness to spend most of the paycheck on someone else's mortgage.

The smell of open sewer everywhere just doesn't do it for me though.

Funny you say that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Threw a leg over a Zero SR today. Felt pretty good. Didn't have time for a test ride, but will on Thursday. I only wish I had a) somewhere to charge it and b) a commute that required it, and I would get one.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
$74 Chinese radiator has arrived. Trip report incoming, pending a total meltdown of my engine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I had really, really good luck with Chinese radiators on a YZ450F. Super sturdy and cooled better than stock.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

Not nearly rich enough, I guess. I moved away like 3 years ago and rents have absolutely skyrocketed since, even in places like el cerrito and richmond. SF is worse than manhattan. I don't think I'll ever be able to move back now :(

So do they not have slums in SF? Or did they all get gentrified and now you're either rich well paid or homeless?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's pretty much what i'm wondering. There are obviously people here making less than 35k a year and somehow surviving.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally got around to getting a bottle of Rain-X. I've only put it on my windshield so far, but I'm sensing it'll be a bit of a trade off since it looks like it leaves a noticeable milky film on the plastic. Easier to see through than a bunch of lovely water, but I wouldn't want it on my visor if it wasn't going g to rain for a while.

It's supposed to rain sometime this week, so I'll clean my visor (and toss the expired pinlock insert) and apply some to it tomorrow night, see how it goes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Mostly you survive at low income in the Bay by living in super sketchy areas with 3-4 people to a house or sometimes even a room. If you go into deep east Oakland you can get a room for ~$500 a month, but it's gonna be a shitshow all the time and forget it if you're not someone who's very comfortable with open drug use, crime/vandalism, etc.

In the bad parts of Oakland, OPD doesn't respond to property crime calls anymore - anything less than assault and you can just gently caress off.

Of course there's also other areas of Oakland that are beautiful (although they still have property crime problems) and areas that are gentrifying rapidly. But the place is a powder keg of old residents angry about being displaced, tech, old liberals that became conservatives in all but name. Hell, the anarchists are fighting for more housing development here.

It's a strange place to live.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

That's pretty much what i'm wondering. There are obviously people here making less than 35k a year and somehow surviving.

I've a friend that lives in the Castro for about what I pay for the lot in Concord. his spouse has been there for ehh 15 years. They don't make a whole lot either but are doing quite alright.

Its affordable if you got here about the dot bomb...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Fixed bike. Now I know how a quadriplegic would feel if she could suddenly walk again.:unsmith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Fixed bike. Now I know how a quadriplegic would feel if she could suddenly walk again.:unsmith:

Any bodgification required? And did you bleed the cooling system like a good boy so it doesn't blow up a few weeks from now?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Nah, the new one fit perfectly. I didn't need to alter a thing. I'm more than satisfies with it.

Bleed... the system? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As in have the air screw open when you fill so no air pockets get trapped, then gently caress around with the hoses/tilt the bike this way and that etc