Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

So I'll do a little trip report on last week's Disney Wish sailing. (etc)...

Thank you for typing this up! My wife and I are sailing the Wish in January for our 10th wedding anniversary. We were on the Fantasy's inaugural sailings for our honeymoon, so it seemed poetic to celebrate 10 years on another inaugural sailing. I'm very relieved by your food reviews, but getting antsier over the crowding and bottlenecking. We're also only doing the 3-night itinerary, and like you, definitely not getting off the ship in Nassau.

Some questions I have:

1. Did you feel like you had to break your neck getting to the shops to get decent Wish merchandise? I keep reading that people are bum-rushing the shops for merch every sailing, and on the cruise I just got off of, people acted like animals the second that the shops opened (I'll elaborate more on that in my trip report). I just don't want to deal with too much BS for a drat sweatshirt and pin.

2. There was a ton of discussion on my cruise about the adults-to-kids ratio. A lot of the folks who had sailed the Wish said the crowding in the adult areas (pools, bars, etc) was overstated because mostly all adults have been on the ship without their kids. Did you feel like that could be the case, or does the ship design just not accommodate crowds of any size?

3. We're definitely getting rainforest passes, but was it hard to get to the hot tubs? I've read that those are 2 of the 3 total hot tubs available on board, but not sure if that's accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UYRJarIPEQ

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got to see the Sid actor last year for oogie boogie bash and it was pretty amazing. Just openly mocking kids and adults waiting in line for candy in front of him and employing the best use of 9 year old argument tactics ("nah nah I can't hear you")

Has to be the job in disnry with the highest employee satisfaction rating.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Doronin posted:

Thank you for typing this up! My wife and I are sailing the Wish in January for our 10th wedding anniversary. We were on the Fantasy's inaugural sailings for our honeymoon, so it seemed poetic to celebrate 10 years on another inaugural sailing. I'm very relieved by your food reviews, but getting antsier over the crowding and bottlenecking. We're also only doing the 3-night itinerary, and like you, definitely not getting off the ship in Nassau.

Some questions I have:

1. Did you feel like you had to break your neck getting to the shops to get decent Wish merchandise? I keep reading that people are bum-rushing the shops for merch every sailing, and on the cruise I just got off of, people acted like animals the second that the shops opened (I'll elaborate more on that in my trip report). I just don't want to deal with too much BS for a drat sweatshirt and pin.

2. There was a ton of discussion on my cruise about the adults-to-kids ratio. A lot of the folks who had sailed the Wish said the crowding in the adult areas (pools, bars, etc) was overstated because mostly all adults have been on the ship without their kids. Did you feel like that could be the case, or does the ship design just not accommodate crowds of any size?

3. We're definitely getting rainforest passes, but was it hard to get to the hot tubs? I've read that those are 2 of the 3 total hot tubs available on board, but not sure if that's accurate.

1. I thought the merch was plentiful but I wasn't in the market for anything specific. The Mickey's Mainsail shop was always crowded but it's also pretty small so I don't know if it was people trying to get merch or just the small space.

2. The adults only areas are all pretty small, in my opinion. The Quiet Cove (or whatever the adults only outdoor area is called) has a lot of chairs outside, but almost none are in the shade. There are a few arm chairs outside of the bar there that are shaded, but there are like...10 chairs. One cool thing they have is rocking chairs, but there are only like 8 of those too. So yeah, I'd call the spaces small.

3. It wasn't hard to get into the hot tubs in the Rainforest area, but there are only 2. There is a third hot tub right outside of the adults only area. I'm not sure if there are only 3 hot tubs or if those are the only 3 I used. And I use "hot" tub loosely. They are tepid at best. But they do have shade and the ones in the Rainforest area have ceiling fans over them which is nice.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1573010096501665792

We're getting a Buzzy documentary.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

1. I thought the merch was plentiful but I wasn't in the market for anything specific. The Mickey's Mainsail shop was always crowded but it's also pretty small so I don't know if it was people trying to get merch or just the small space.

2. The adults only areas are all pretty small, in my opinion. The Quiet Cove (or whatever the adults only outdoor area is called) has a lot of chairs outside, but almost none are in the shade. There are a few arm chairs outside of the bar there that are shaded, but there are like...10 chairs. One cool thing they have is rocking chairs, but there are only like 8 of those too. So yeah, I'd call the spaces small.

3. It wasn't hard to get into the hot tubs in the Rainforest area, but there are only 2. There is a third hot tub right outside of the adults only area. I'm not sure if there are only 3 hot tubs or if those are the only 3 I used. And I use "hot" tub loosely. They are tepid at best. But they do have shade and the ones in the Rainforest area have ceiling fans over them which is nice.

Thank you! That helps. I'm trying to get on that ship with somewhat of a plan to make sure we get to explore enough. Other than simply enjoy it, I want to try and get enough of a sense of the Wish to see if we want to sail it again with our daughter, or prioritize the Dream, Magic and Fantasy for the next sailing afterward. We promised her a "beachy cruise" after this last one.

Oh boy, I can't wait to see where this goes. That Patrick Spikes guy is pretty sleazy, and I'll be interested to see how much they get into him getting caught stealing the wedding dress from Haunted Mansion.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Doronin posted:

Thank you! That helps. I'm trying to get on that ship with somewhat of a plan to make sure we get to explore enough. Other than simply enjoy it, I want to try and get enough of a sense of the Wish to see if we want to sail it again with our daughter, or prioritize the Dream, Magic and Fantasy for the next sailing afterward. We promised her a "beachy cruise" after this last one.

Oh boy, I can't wait to see where this goes. That Patrick Spikes guy is pretty sleazy, and I'll be interested to see how much they get into him getting caught stealing the wedding dress from Haunted Mansion.

The Magic and Wonder are still my favorites. I did the Dream earlier this year and the Wish is still last on the list.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

The Magic and Wonder are still my favorites. I did the Dream earlier this year and the Wish is still last on the list.

Sans the Wish, I'm right there with you. I even took the Fantasy for DCL trip #1 and it was our honeymoon and the Wonder and Magic are still my favorites. Everything feels 'just right' when it comes to space allotment, wayfinding, organization, staff/guest ratio and so forth on the two smaller ones. Although I'm anxious to give the Dream another go because I liked it was more than I thought I would back in 2019.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Almost 3 years of planning this trip and I fly in this Thursday as a hurricane approaches. Solid!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Almost 3 years of planning this trip and I fly in this Thursday as a hurricane approaches. Solid!

We’re driving, arriving tomorrow and our five park days are mon-fri. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I can say the day in Universal after Dorian missed Florida was walk-on-to every ride it was insane.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
We fly in Wednesday and cruise out Friday. Hoping all of my Thursday plans happen but oh well if they don’t.

I was at WDW the weekend of Dorian and it was delightful. So that part I’m not worried about.

Anya fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 25, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Anya posted:

We fly in Wednesday
To MCO? … I think I’d have a plan B ready.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Looking more likely the west coast gets grazed by the edge of the storm and it makes landfall near Tally, which would mostly avoid Disney except for some rain from outer bands.

Could still make landfall at Tampa and come inland, but models are converging away from that (but still directly impacting Tampa). Next 24hrs will solidify things a lot.

Here’s a good source for everyone

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1574141235404709891?s=46&t=hmBJrYrQ6zfH62cOxJ0hVA

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Tropical Tidbits is my go to for my gulf coast hurricane nerves

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Legoland California and it's waterpark are such sad, half-realized wastes of space. The entire Chima waterpark area has been shut down for years, so no wave pool and many awesome waterslides aren't available to kids. I wish they could hire some Disney folks who are sick of Chapek and help Legoland realize their full potential. It's just such a dud of a park.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Call me old fashioned, but the National Hurricane Center has never led me astray with hurricane forecasting. I don't need to sort through twitter or wait for another website to just repost NHC's stuff.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
For any tropical weather, my go-to for years has been Weather Underground (https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane). No commentary on the weather, just maps and models, including everything from TNHC.

However, I asked my best friend who is a meteorologist and he believes the TNHC track is pretty close to what will happen, except he is predicting an approaching front will push it on land just north of Tampa. If that happens, Tampa is less prepared for a significant storm surge than New Orleans.

Either way, flights in/out of the state are going to be massively impacted Tuesday through Thursday.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.trackthetropics.com/ for every possible chart and data but you need to understand it yourself.

I find the NHC discussions pretty good for explaining what's going on: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/141442.shtml

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My 10am Thursday flight sure is probably getting delayed. Sick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tim Whatley posted:

My 10am Thursday flight sure is probably getting delayed. Sick.

I know that feeling. My wife got hosed over by flight issues coming and going back in March (it was a loving nightmare). Her niece had some issues flying out to us back in July. I've got my flight for LAX in November for DLR and I feel sick just thinking about if I'm going to have issues or not. It sucks because there's not a drat thing I can do about it until it happens.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1574494835884466176

The replacement for the Agent P scavenger hunt, now apparently a phone-based app instead of needing to visit a kiosk.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

couldcareless posted:

They can sometimes snag you a free dessert with the married/celebrating/birthday ones

When I went in 2013 to celebrate graduating college, every single sit down dining place gave me something for wearing it. I got extra Grey Stuff at Be Our Guest, and a cute little tray of fancy desserts at Yachtsman.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

The 2022 lineup of celebrity narrators features new and returning favorites, including actors from some of your favorite films, world-renowned singers, and other talented artists. Here’s your first look at this year’s narrators:

11/25 – 11/26: TBD
11/27 – 11/29: Edward James Olmos
11/30 – 12/1: Raul Esparza (NEW)
12/2 – 12/3: Whoopi Goldberg
12/4 – 12/6: Isabella Rossellini
12/7 – 12/9: John Daymond
12/10 – 12/12: Josh Gad (NEW)
12/13 – 12/14: Gloria Estefan (NEW)
12/15 – 12/18: Neil Patrick Harris
12/19 – 12/20: Mariska Hargitay (NEW)
12/21 – 12/23: Cal Ripken Jr.
12/24 – 12/26: Marie Osmond
12/27 – 12/28: Courtney Vance
12/29 – 12/30: Angela Bassett

We have to re-schedule our park reservations for Whoopi or Josh Gad...hmm

Isabella Rossellini though....she is probably great

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1574494835884466176

The replacement for the Agent P scavenger hunt, now apparently a phone-based app instead of needing to visit a kiosk.
I never got around to doing the Agent P scavenger hunt thing, but I did enjoy Sorcerors of the Magic Kingdom when it was a thing. Moving to more stare-at-your-phone activities seems like a trend that isn't going away soon :smith:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

To MCO? … I think I’d have a plan B ready.

Actively watching waiting and watching
Cruise probably won’t board until later Friday per communication with folks currently on the Wish right now so I’m waiting and watching. It’s all I can do.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

I never got around to doing the Agent P scavenger hunt thing, but I did enjoy Sorcerors of the Magic Kingdom when it was a thing. Moving to more stare-at-your-phone activities seems like a trend that isn't going away soon :smith:

Agent P had interactive elements in the park like animatronics that triggered when you did stuff, so I'd imagine the Ducktales version will also do that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Agent P had interactive elements in the park like animatronics that triggered when you did stuff, so I'd imagine the Ducktales version will also do that.

The best was in Mexico where triggering the in-Pavillion effect included the Doofenschmirtz Evil Inc. song being sung in Spanish.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

When it was Kim Possible-themed, the mission in UK had you going up to an agent(cast member) in the tea shop to say a secret word who gave us a real teabag(that you got to keep,still have mines somewhere, I'll drink it on my deathbed) that had the password to complete the mission on it. I remember my group being so nervous about it(what if they dont know what the hell we're talking about) but got excited when the cast member played along. Also had the dropbox to drop the phone off when you finished was cooler than the rest of the countries, as it was one of them fancy UK mail boxes. Me and me niece and nephew still talk that it was our favorite mission to this day, though we loved Mexico with the laser or Germany with the singing beer-steins.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I hope all that stuff stays, because that'd both work perfectly well with Duck Tales and sounds really cool. I'm sorry I missed it :smith:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Another local park trip report!

It's a Walibi park again but in my own country: Walibi Holland*

Crowds were a lot higher than we expected because the weather suddenly cleared up after a week of rain but we did get to do all major rides we were interested in. As usual, in ascending order of quality:

El Condor
The first SLC. Like all of it's descendants, it causes pain. We rode this once to see if the new trains added last season alleviate it's problems but alas, it's still made entirely out of SLC track so they do not. The Mexico area around it has also been rethemed to Exotic, which is all of the same buildings from Mexico covered in glitter and louder colours, making an already ugly park look slightly worse.

Xpress: Platform 13
A rather awkwardly named outdoor version of the Vekoma LSM Coaster, better known as Rock 'n' Rollercoaster in Disney parks. The haunted train station queue is the only part of the park that can be considered themed and is okay at what it does, though most of the effects were disabled for some reason. It launches good, has a nice setting over a lake but is unfortunately, almost as rough as it's suspended neighbour.

Speed of Sound
The park's Boomerang, to go with their SLC. Of the three vekoma rides, this one is by far the least rough and it has the newer trains with vest restrains. The reverse spike has the tube for a large waterslide wrapped around it and onboard audio synced to the catchcar's release but aside from that, it's still a Boomerang so there's very little to say about the ride itself.

Skydiver
Swing, but huge. A very expensive upcharge @ €38 for a group of 1-3 people and getting strapped into the ride's mat? blanket? onesie??? is a bit of a hassle but it provides by far the best view of any ride of the park, without attempting to crush my collarbones like Space Shot. A lot of people report finding cable swings like these a lot scarier than rollercoasters or drop towers but personally I found the experience to be almost serene after the mild moment of airtime at the initial drop. Rode this once, would've done it more if it wasn't an upcharge.

Lost Gravity
A bee-coloured Mack Big Dipper, mostly known for resembling a Gerstlauer Eurofighter so much that even enthusiasts routinely mistake it for one**. The ride is surrounded by some industrial junk to pass for theming but nothing really notable. As it's a Mack, the seats are comfortable enough and the track is likewise smooth enough. Layout wise it's a bit more airtime focused than it's Gerstlauer cousins but with a similarly compact layout, which it likewise does well enough. I prefer it over all the Vekomas at the park but I struggle to say anything interesting about it, it's just 7.5/10: The Ride.

Goliath
Tallest and Fastest roller coaster in the Netherlands, this first generation Intamin Megacoaster was my favourite at the park until recently. It has strong airtime amplified by long 32-seat trains, a nice lakeside setting, comfortable seats, a lengthy and smooth layout. It's located in a remote cul-de-sac behind El Condor, reducing crowds somewhat and it has escaped the park's ill-advised attempts at redecoration. It shares much of it's design philosophy with Kondaa in Walibi Belgium and although that one is 20 years newer and slightly better at most things, Goliath still retains the best finale with it's triple airtime hill. It also has a really short brake run that it enters with considerable speed, especially when it's hot. I have no idea why it's built this way is but consider bracing.

Untamed
The park's newest and best addition, an RMC IBox conversion of the park's old wooden coaster, Robin Hood. The layout is unique, well paced, full of airtime and very smooth. Most of the ride takes place in a wooded section in the back of the park which is good because Walibi's management hasn't decided to spray-paint all the trees with pink glitter(yet). RMC restrains are decidedly suboptimal but nowhere near as bad as the Vekomas. Overall, I still like it more than Goliath and it's currently my favourite ride in the Benelux, though I haven't had a chance to do Ride to Happiness yet. We had to leave relatively early at 16:00 so we weren't able to do it this time but it also has a phenomenal night ride.

Ride we skipped
-All the water rides: too wet for the weather
-Space Shot: S&S launched drop tower that unfortunately hurts my shoulders too much

One last important thing to keep in mind for goons planning to visit is that the park is tiny with basically just a figure 8 of paths and very few smaller flat rides so it fills up with crowds incredibly quickly, keep track of queue times on looopings.nl and find a day in which it's consistently quiet before planning a trip.

*Not located in either province with Holland in it's name, but in Flevoland, which incidentally makes it the world's only amusement park built on the seafloor.

**The trick is to look at the vehicle shape: Mack trains have wing seats, Gestlauer ones don't.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1574768693803995140

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Has anybody been to Tokyo Dome City? I have one afternoon free on an upcoming work trip to Tokyo. Not enough time to go to DisneySea so trying to decide between Dome and Joyopolis

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1574792456427773952

Closed all Weds and Thurs. Just quickly moved my flight to Fri morning.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 27, 2022

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Has anybody been to Tokyo Dome City? I have one afternoon free on an upcoming work trip to Tokyo. Not enough time to go to DisneySea so trying to decide between Dome and Joyopolis

Been to both, though I haven’t visited Joypolis since 2007. I recommend Tokyo Dome City. The rides may be ho-hum compared to Tokyo Disney (and compared to the indoor coaster I recall Joypolis having), but IIRC there are no gates in Dome City so you can freely enter and exit—which is a good thing when there are so many amazing restaurants in the area.

If you’re already going to be in that vicinity, though, don’t sleep on Spa LaQua. Or better yet, *do* sleep there. Enjoy the hot springs, get a good meal, and take a nap in their quiet zone.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1574792456427773952

Closed all Weds and Thurs. Just quickly moved my flight to Fri morning.

and yet Disney is still waiting to announce lmao

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think they announce soon as Orange County is now under TS warning, which is the trigger for closure IIRC.

Seaworld just announced as well.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
WDW closed wed and Thursday this week, plans to reopen Friday. Universal the same.

I’m a rebook for December on the Wish. Finally will get to see the parks in December for the first time, so that should be fun.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Love them waiting til the last possible minute. I mean I get it, it's a big business loss, but christ, this thing looks NASTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As usual, I will hope that the hurricane expends so much energy battering Mar-A-Lago that it is exhausted by the time it reaches Disney.