Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've resolved to start using the non-latin-1 version of my name everywhere, just to see what it breaks. So far: slack, gmail and gitlab are fine. Broken: the service that I'm responsible for :( stupid mysql default character set...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
lol mysql

remember to use the utf8mb4 encoding and not the broken utf8 which exists because mysql can do nothing right

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

suffix posted:

lol mysql

remember to use the utf8mb4 encoding and not the broken utf8 which exists because mysql can do nothing right

thank you for pointing that out, i hadn't heard of that

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm subscribed to the Ceylon team blog in Thunderbird and posts by Stéphane Épardaud show his name fine in the list of posts and in the posts themselves, but show up like "St�phane �pardaud" in the header. Who knows if it's their end or my end!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

CPColin posted:

I'm subscribed to the Ceylon team blog in Thunderbird and posts by Stphane pardaud show his name fine in the list of posts and in the posts themselves, but show up like "St&​#65533;phane &​#65533;pardaud" in the header. Who knows if it's their end or my end!

i had to cheat with zero-width spaces, sorry zen death robot!

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 30, 2016

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

so uh

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx

this is cool

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

2016 year of Linux on Windows

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

gonadic io posted:

thank you for pointing that out, i hadn't heard of that

Encoding and a collation are required and MySQL is so super that stored procs have a collation but no SQL to alter them (just modify the raw mysql table instead).

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Bloody posted:

2016 year of Linux on Windows

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yos example bubbled up to the Real: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/master/test/CodeGenObjCXX/arc-cxx11-member-init.mm#L34

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

welp I have no reason left to live

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
academics aren't properly preparing CS students for professional programming jobs because they refuse to teach that butt and fart are industry standard metasyntactic variables.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

wow, et tu satya?

:shadowman-single-tear-gif:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you have come to a world called fart extends butt

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I'm wondering how they accomplished a couple of things. I will probably install Windows 10 just to play with this. or probably not. then I will put the gun in my mouth. probably

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

loving yes i'd have killed for this when i was programming haskell

e: this news is the top 5 posts on /r/programming lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why? i've had no issues with cabal on windows thus far

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

that's cool too bad I'm about as likely to write a 6502 LLVM backend as installing Windows 10

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
But I've been running bash on winders for years. Before Git Bash, I was using cygwin bash. I'm not impressed by this yet.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it has apt-get. it has packages not just bash

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bash is the least useful part of the equation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

no its not. its dumb as hell and utterly worthless

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bloody posted:

bash is the least useful part of the equation

cygwin isn't bash, but I get what you are saying. However, this is just a subset of Ubuntu-specific binaries. Still seems a lot less useful than cygwin, which has been around a long-rear end time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Can I run Steam for Linux on Windows?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hell loving yes

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

I don't even understand, widows 10 can run a linux shell?????

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

HoboMan posted:

I don't even understand, widows 10 can run a linux shell?????

it's not even new, the gentoo people had gentoo running on windows as far back as 2009. netbsd had ported a good part of their ports tree to windows, too, although you had to install the unix subsystem first. the problem was always twofold: 1) people lost interest and stopped maintaining packages, and 2) new windows versions were released, stuff broke and nobody fixed it. well, threefold: 3) nobody involved had the skill to maintain the toolchain, and the toolchain provided by microsoft slowly bitrotted. if microsoft takes an interest, it could survive. but you know microsoft, they drop projects all the time

cygwin as crappy as it is, is at least maintained

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

it's not even new, the gentoo people had gentoo running on windows as far back as 2009. netbsd had ported a good part of their ports tree to windows, too, although you had to install the unix subsystem first. the problem was always twofold: 1) people lost interest and stopped maintaining packages, and 2) new windows versions were released, stuff broke and nobody fixed it. well, threefold: 3) nobody involved had the skill to maintain the toolchain, and the toolchain provided by microsoft slowly bitrotted. if microsoft takes an interest, it could survive. but you know microsoft, they drop projects all the time

cygwin as crappy as it is, is at least maintained

cygwin is gash, not bash

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

why? i've had no issues with cabal on windows thus far

mostly installing libraries that are wrappers to c libs. i guess it's not haskell specific but it was where i mostly encountered the pain. so many things depend on the unix package gently caress

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

the important part isn't that it has bash, it's that linux packages work on windows without modification

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CommunistPancake posted:

the important part isn't that it has bash, it's that linux packages work on windows without modification

but it's backwards, i want to run c#/.net on linux, not linux on c#/.net!!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wait does this mean i can finally use plangs in windows????????????????

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 30, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

gonadic io posted:

mostly installing libraries that are wrappers to c libs. i guess it's not haskell specific but it was where i mostly encountered the pain. so many things depend on the unix package gently caress

don't expect that to start working well imo
sure it will work on your local machine, but deployment will be another matter

wonder how they'll handle graphic environments? the usual lovely xorg?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

wait does this mean i can finally use plangs in windows????????????????

if a plang doesn't already support windows it's probably not worth learning

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

but it's backwards, i want to run c#/.net on linux, not linux on c#/.net!!!

unironically this

although there's mono i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
.net core runs on linuxes like redhate/centos or osx and its what u probably want.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

downside core seems to be an undocumented pile of rear end at this time

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
cygwin's uninstallation instructions involve manually editing the registry, it is literally malware

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
at one point i followed the original .net core tutorial from MS on OS X and the package manager would throw an exception and halt by like the third step.

then i pulled their official docker image and tried running it on linux. the official "hello world" tutorial also crashed on like the third step.

i gave up.

.net is a pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

CommunistPancake posted:

without modification

hehehe

right

• Locked thread