Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Neverwinter Nights isn't an infinity engine game but this is the closest thread about it. How many level 3 spell slots should a paladin have at level 14? Some sources say one, others say two.

I swear I had two slots yesterday. I even put the new spell on a quickbar.

edit: It was because I had a wisdom or charisma buff. Never mind me.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Thalantyr is just upset that he (HE!) can't spring for a big city lair like those fancy bastards Ramazith and Ragefast. Instead he's out in the sticks with a bunch of stupid skeletons wandering about.

But the whole point of Ramazith's and Ragefast's mansions are that you are supposed to loot them, and gently caress you wizard that's why. At least Ramazith's has some levels with mean creatures on it. Is there any sensible reason for trying to murder Thalantyr? His inventory is impressive, but his inventory goes into a magic place somewhere in Fallout 2 if you merk him and that's that as far as I can tell. And Thalantyr has those flesh golems hanging around.

And artistically speaking, though I am not competent, High Hedge always seemed more impressive than a light house in the wrong district of a big city (what are you doing with your life?), and Ragefast just lives in a sort of big house. Thalantyr has a castle. With golems.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Building a castle is super easy with magic, especially in the wilderness where you don’t have to worry about land prices

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Flight got delayed so now I'm daydreaming about a mod that adds a side plot where you have to find the entrance to the High Hedge mini Dungeon to fight/sneak by flesh golems in order to recover Thalantyr's deed and bring it to Kelddath Ormlyr to prove he built his Castle on communal land. Cutscene where they both duke it out and fling some spells. Charname can choose to side with either or stop the fight and give a speech about gentrification and ye real estate prices.

Man I'm bored, should have downloaded BGEE on this phone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Node posted:

Neverwinter Nights isn't an infinity engine game but this is the closest thread about it. How many level 3 spell slots should a paladin have at level 14? Some sources say one, others say two.

Neverwinter nights 1 is going to use specifically the 3.0 rules for everything. Most online D&D rules resources that aren’t NWN specific will use the 3.5 rules. Hence the disparities.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

*waves* sup, fellow NWN player.

the NWNWiki is your friend: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Paladin
although in situations like yours it can definitely be difficult to work out what rule is impacting your stats, lol.

By the way, you can make the game look slightly less terrible via the official remaster patch - links to that and other graphics upgrades here if you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/tmof98/

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ulvino posted:

Flight got delayed so now I'm daydreaming about a mod that adds a side plot where you have to find the entrance to the High Hedge mini Dungeon to fight/sneak by flesh golems in order to recover Thalantyr's deed and bring it to Kelddath Ormlyr to prove he built his Castle on communal land. Cutscene where they both duke it out and fling some spells. Charname can choose to side with either or stop the fight and give a speech about gentrification and ye real estate prices.

Man I'm bored, should have downloaded BGEE on this phone.

Given how the Realms work, Thalantyr probably does "community service" every now and then by killing a beholder or some poo poo that shows up to murder the peasants. And he was an adventurer in his youth, and given how gold becomes pretty meaningless even for your own party as BG1 progresses, maybe he just bought the castle from Keldath? How much could a banana castle cost, 50 000 gold pieces?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I dunno if Thalantyr is gonna help anyone out. Wizards in the Forgotten Realms just sit in their towers researching poo poo and thumbing their nose at the peasants.

Look at Jermien in bg2. You can ask him about the issues plaguing Imnesvale and he basically says he doesn't give a poo poo and won't unless the Cowled Wizards tell him to.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's fair, I guess for narrative purposes there's always an adventuring party around to do the beholder killing. I guess BG1 paints Thalantyr as very reclusive, but then he does help Melicamp. But I guess Melicamp was kind of his own fault.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

According to forgottenrealms.fandom.com Thalantyr is a level 17 Conjurer so could have personally taken care of Sarevok and his whole crew without too much bother. Kelddath Ormlyr himself is apparently a level 16 Cleric of Lathander so the pair of them really don't need to be asking for help from anyone for local concerns.

High level characters just get lazy and like to subcontract, I suppose.

*Bondari reloads*

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's like in those RPGs when you send hirelings on timer based missions to collect crafting materials, once you get high level enough you can't bring yourself to bother doing these petty tasks like killing 10 Gibberlings or toppling evil warlords taking over the region.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thalantyr's whole thing seems to be "interfering in poo poo quite often goes bad for me personally so no thank you" so for him at least it makes sense.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wish I could subcontract out for some of the bg2 companion quests

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

You do get to subcontract a quest to the newbie adventurers in Throne of Bhaal.

It goes okay, but it takes forever because they abuse long rest. Then they try to attack you, realize they are outmatched, and reload the game and just hand over the macguffin they were sent to retrieve.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

docbeard posted:

Thalantyr's whole thing seems to be "interfering in poo poo quite often goes bad for me personally so no thank you" so for him at least it makes sense.

It's a dangerous world for low-level wizards so it makes sense that the ones that make it to 17 would mostly be selfish and risk-averse. All the heroes (that weren't travelling with equally heroic parties) are lining ditches.

Edit: on the other hand even level one mage spells would give anyone with a lick of sense godlike advantages over the rest of humanity, so as always it's best to just not think about wizards too hard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Randallteal posted:

It's a dangerous world for low-level wizards so it makes sense that the ones that make it to 17 would mostly be selfish and risk-averse. All the heroes (that weren't travelling with equally heroic parties) are lining ditches.

Edit: on the other hand even level one mage spells would give anyone with a lick of sense godlike advantages over the rest of humanity, so as always it's best to just not think about wizards too hard.

Oh yeah, if I lived in 2 edition D&D Forgotten Realms and had access to the Friends spell once a day I'd live like a king and wouldn't even have to be too exploitative about it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

sebzilla posted:

According to forgottenrealms.fandom.com Thalantyr is a level 17 Conjurer so could have personally taken care of Sarevok and his whole crew without too much bother. Kelddath Ormlyr himself is apparently a level 16 Cleric of Lathander so the pair of them really don't need to be asking for help from anyone for local concerns.

High level characters just get lazy and like to subcontract, I suppose.

*Bondari reloads*

For all you know, he's researching the solution to problems way above your pay grade. The thing about the Forgotten Realms is you can't throw a stone without it landing in the wake of an existential threat of one kind or another. There's other problems aside from the bhaalspawn crisis.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Lobe posted:

For all you know, he's researching the solution to problems way above your pay grade. The thing about the Forgotten Realms is you can't throw a stone without it landing in the wake of an existential threat of one kind or another. There's other problems aside from the bhaalspawn crisis.

So many interesting things happened around the Time of Troubles, then the transition to 4e was about as smooth as a clockwork bumfuck. I don't dislike 4e D&D, but the FR transition was so ham-fisted. Then the 5th edition un-transition was just a massive retcon in story for a massive retcon in gameplay. It was a real disappointment.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh god Durlags Tower is very stressful

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Shame Boy posted:

Oh god Durlags Tower is very stressful

Durlag's tower is why I didn't feel any shame in simply modding out traps when I got to BG2.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Durlags is my favorite dungeon in the series. The traps and the lore drops paint a vivid picture of Durlag's madness. It's the most atmospheric dungeon.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wouldn't mind Durlag's if your party's pathfinding wasn't so bad. You have to lead them by hand most of the time. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you were playing solo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
In trying to find something to save on my phone to read during down time at work, I found a ebook collection of video game novels, which included the Baldur's Gate novelizations.

I don't know if it's ever been done in the thread (I know there's someone on YouTube who covered the first novel, maybe the others as well), but I thought I'd try and post some excerpts and commentary on what I read. I imagine a few people in thread have read the novels, so maybe this is all stuff you've already read. I've heard about how bad the books are over the years, and I know some of the stuff that happens in them, but actually reading the BG1 novel, it's ...:pwn:

The first chapter starts out with the protagonist (Abdel) and Gorion getting ambushed outside Candlekeep, but not by Sarevok and company, but by a bunch of random mercenaries, one who shoots Gorion with a crossbow:

quote:

The crossbowman stepped out, dark eyes slitted against the midmorning sun, padded leather vest creaking with every movement. His long red hair fluttering greasily in the breeze. He aimed carefully at Gorion.
Abdel screamed out, “Fa—”
The crossbow released, and the heavy steel bolt shot through the air with a hiss.
“—th—”
Embedding itself deeply into Gorion’s eye.
“—er!”
Abdel knew, before Gorion’s twitching body hit the gravel road, that the only father he had ever known was dead.

It then goes into detail about Abdel's backstory. The novel has so he leaves Candlekeep and travels around the Sword Coast as a sellsword (the book frequently refers to him as 'the sellsword'). One of the things I remember hearing about the BG novels (the first two, at least) is that the author supposedly wrote them during commercial breaks when watching something, and I believe based off lines like these.

quote:

Abdel looked nothing like this man who was not truly his father, and it seemed to surprise no one who knew them well that they didn’t think much alike either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pePpxU58M

There's also this description, which I don't fully understand:

quote:

There was a sound as if someone had tossed a maidens-thigh melon from a guard tower, and Eagus’s halberd was free.

A 'maiden's thigh melon'? I'm pretty sure that's not referring to what I think it is.

Anyway, a dying Gorion tells Abdel to find Khalid and Jaheira, 'stop the war', in reference to the brewing tensions between Baldur's Gate and Amn.

Chapter 2 switches the perspective to Tamoko, with Sarevok in his private chamber, so there's absolutely no mystery about who the true villain is. Some choice passages:

quote:

She sat with her legs folded on the wide, too-soft bed—a silk sack eight feet on a side stuffed with feathers—and tried to meditate. Something was prickling the back of her neck, though, and it was distracting her.

The smooth silk of Tamoko’s black pajamas hissed against the silk of the bed and sent a chill of goose bumps up her thin, strong arms. She was a small woman, not even five feet tall, with the smooth skin of a pampered lady and the strength of a berserker. A life of constant training made her what she was: a killer, in every sense of the word.

She didn’t bother to close her eyes, but kept her tongue on her palate and concentrated on her breathing, and on the blood flowing quickly through her veins.

The room was dark and the air still, two things that normally helped her to center herself, but not today. Today the air in Sarevok’s private chamber, deep in a complex of rooms few ever saw the inside of, felt heavy and dead. The steady orange candlelight, barely flickering in the still air, made her blink. The dampness made her silk garments stick to her every modest curve.
:raise:

quote:

“I have at least this one brother, yes,” Sarevok told her in that voice she often thought was—not seductive—maybe seductive….
Tamoko: "It's...not seductive, maybe seductive; I dunno, maybe the reverb from his helmet has an effect?"

The writing is filled with a lot of prose, and that second passage also made me realize that the dialog in this chapter, is very awkwardly written.

quote:

“My brother,” Sarevok said suddenly, so suddenly a lesser trained assassin might have flinched, but not Tamoko, “is on the path.”
“Your brother?” she asked, too quickly, and Sarevok took a long, unsettling time to turn around.

“I have at least this one brother, yes,” Sarevok told her in that voice she often thought was—not seductive—maybe seductive….

A cold chill ran down her spine, making her angry with herself. There was something about Sarevok, to be sure, that she knew she should be on her guard about. He wasn’t a man, not a human, that was certain. Even the barbarian men of Faerûn were more like her own kind than Sarevok was. She had no idea what he was, but she liked it. He wore power around him in a haze like Faerûnian women wore perfume. She could imagine him steeped in it. He was decisive and sure, not blundering about at the whim of a god, nor blindly attached to some infantile cause, nor forever in search of shiny metal disks. Sarevok wanted power—power and something else. As afraid as Tamoko sometimes felt in his presence, she couldn’t help but admire him. The fact remained that when they were together, in the dark, with nothing physical coming between them, even then he could tell her only what he wanted her to know, and he never wanted her to know much. He was in control, always.

“The nature of his death?” she asked, meaning two things: that she knew she was here to kill for him, and that she was loyal enough not to ask why.

Sarevok laughed, and the sound made Tamoko smile—not because his laugh was particularly pleasant, but because it wasn’t at all pleasant. Indeed, this was no mere man.

“Then he will live?”she concluded.

The 'shiny metal disks' thing is also confusing to me. At first, I thought maybe that was a tongue-in cheek reference to Dragonlance and the Disks of Mishakal, but then I wondered if maybe it was just meant to be referring to gold coins, which if so, why describe it like that?

Anyway Chapter 2 ends with Sarevok makes reference to 'the two Zhentarim', so Xzar and Montaron are under his employ.

Chapter 3 has Abdel reading a note Gorion had clutched in his hand, talking about the Bhaal prophecy, which he dismisses. He makes a grave for Gorion, and there's this bit:

quote:

Abdel, son of Gorion, adjusted his chain mail tunic, scuffed his hard leather boots on the gravel to clear away some of the mud, shifted his shoulders to center the weight of the big broadsword that hung from his back, found a stick, and set it upright in the disturbed earth. He hung on the wet wood the tiny silver gauntlet that his father had worn on a thin gold chain around his neck, knowing some anonymous traveler would be along soon enough to steal it.

“I’ll be back for you,” he said, then turned his back and walked away.
Wha- Huh? :psyduck: I think he's talking about Gorion, and not the gauntlet, but the way it reads, it sound contradictory.

There's an very long section where Abdel stops to sleep and gets menaced by some creatures, before Xzar and Montaron arrive and bail him out with magic light that chases the creatures away. Said creatures are Gibberlings, and I admit, I have not played BG1 in a while, but it seems like the book makes a big deal about one of the weakest enemies in the game. Xzar and Monty join up with Abdel to go up to the Friendly Arms, and then down to Nashkel.

Chapter 4 starts with this bit, which I found legitimately funny:

quote:

After spending three days with Montaron and Xzar on the road to the Friendly Arms, Abdel had to admit he kind of liked the gruff halfling. The little guy was odd, to be sure. He would complain incessantly all day that the sunlight was too bright, even though the sky was overcast and dull gray most of the time. His aversion to light was sometimes silly, other times it was disturbing. Montaron seemed amused by his human companion, Xzar, and often teased him by tossing pebbles and twigs at the tall mage’s head as they walked.

We also start getting a insight into Abdel's character, immediately following that paragraph, which is, well...

quote:

Abdel was ready to do more than tease Xzar. Abdel was beginning to think about killing him. As the halfling joked, and the mage pontificated, and the hours dragged on, Abdel would devise elaborate plans to murder Xzar, just to pass the time.

Xzar had a way of speaking that confused and irritated Abdel. He would rearrange and repeat words for no good reason, would remain silent when he should speak and speak when he had nothing useful to say. The mage twitched literally all the time, and though Abdel felt sorry for the obviously disturbed man at first, eventually he couldn’t think about anything but how much he wanted to slap him.
:catstare:

Immediately after that, Xzar tells Abdel that he knows that his father is Bhaal, but since it's Xzar being Xzar, Abdel dismisses it. They make it to the Friendly Arm in, and we get this description:

quote:

Abdel had visited the Friendly Arms over half a dozen times in the past several years, but the sight of it always surprised him. It had been a rather well-built fortress in its day, constructed by a cult of the now-dead god Bhaal. The story was that the band of gnomes who ran the place had run afoul of the cultists, and after years of fighting back and forth the gnomes drove the Bhaal-worshipers out. This seemed unlikely to Abdel, though, as he’d met a few gnomes in his day and found it difficult to believe that people who barely reached his knee could drive anyone out of anywhere.

Abdel didn’t know anything about this god Bhaal, but if it was true that his worshipers were driven out of such an imposing stone fortress by these tiny forest folk… well, no wonder the god didn’t survive the Time of Troubles.

I don't know if that story about Friendly Arm Inn being a former Bhaal fortress is canon or not. What gets more more is Abdel's dismissive attitude on gnomes. However there is a follow-up to that on the next page when they enter the inn, and there's a minor fracas going on.

quote:

The three travelling companions followed the gnome guards to the door. Abdel stood behind the gnomes as one of them opened the door, and he was hit with the blast of sound from inside just a fraction of a second before the chair hit him in the face. Down the big sellsword went, never seeing the three little gnomes wade into the crowd. The guards’ fists were small, but when they brought them into play at their own eye level, taller men dropped like sacks of flour.

Abdel, angry, bleeding from the nose, stood up, grabbed the broken chair, and surveyed the dark room full of doubled-over men. He gave up hope of finding the one who threw the chair, but he gave the room an icy glare all the same. Laughter started, and Abdel turned red before he realized they weren’t laughing at him but at the man being carried out by the three gnomes. They were dragging the dirty, vile-smelling commoner more than carrying him, and the big man made a small sound every time his head bounced against the rough wooden planks of the floor.

Abdel looked at the now unconscious man with undisguised fury as he was dragged past. Montaron grabbed the chair when he saw Abdel jerk forward.

“Leave ’im,” the halfling said. “Looks like ’e’s paid in full.”

Abdel stood stock still and tried to let the anger pass, but it wouldn’t. He wanted to kill someone. Montaron was looking at him curiously.

Also:

quote:

Abdel noticed a sudden change in the tavern sounds. Montaron stopped too and held out a hand to gently block Xzar.

The mage twitched away and shouted, “Stop touching me!”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq5dxlQuJUo

There's a transition where Abdel is sitting at the bar, drinking. He's unable to remember the names Gorion told him, so he keeps on drinking. Lucky for him, Khalid happens to find him, and we get this, which I find very strange:

quote:

The Amman’s response to this was simply a puzzled stare. The man was obviously a half-elf. His long, thin face and ears just barely too round to be called pointed would have been proof enough of that, but the bright violet of his eyes was a sure sign of elf blood. The human part of him was surely Amnian; he had a large, long nose and dusky olive skin. He was dressed as if for battle, in dented armor that he was obviously uncomfortable in. He was wearing a helmet, which, considering the surroundings, seemed a wise idea. His lips curled and twitched. He was nervous.

“You have come here to meet me, though,” the Amnian said. “I am Khalid.”

Both Khalid and Jaheira are described to be from Amn, and that does tie into the book putting more emphasis on the tensions between Amn and BG, but it just seems like an odd change.

Khalid's demeanor in the book is not nervous and stuttering, but more just kind of smug. :smug: He introduces Abdel to Jaheira, which goes as follows:

quote:

Abdel took a couple of deep breaths to try to calm himself, and when Khalid said, “Here she is,” Abdel looked up, and his breath caught.

Jaheira was beautiful. Half-elf like her mate, she too must have had a human parent from Amn. The two looked oddly alike, but both the elf and human sides favored Jaheira the more. Her face was wide and dark, her lips full, and her eyes bright—nearly the same violet as Khalid’s—and they sparkled with intelligence. Her face was framed in thick hair that might have been black if she were all human, but her elf blood highlighted it with streaks of fiery copper. Even though she sat, Abdel could tell she was strong of build, rugged even. She wore a bodice of hard leather that was scratched from what might have been blade strikes. She was armored.

When her eyes caught his, he saw rather than heard her gasp. Abdel sat without looking at the chair. He couldn’t pull his eyes away from hers, and she did nothing to discourage him. Her full lips twitched like her husband’s. She was nervous too, and though Abdel would never come between a man and his wife, he couldn’t help hoping that she was nervous for different reasons than Khalid was.

The three talk briefly about the potential war, only for things to get interrupted when the drunk patron from earlier returns and throws a glass which hits Abdel in the back of the head. Abdel handles the situation tactfully:

quote:

A glass bottle disintegrated against the back of Abdel’s head, and Jaheira had to flinch away from the shards of glass. Abdel didn’t bother to wipe the residual wine off the back of his head or pick the glass from his black hair. He stood up and turned, and the crowd parted as if they were puppets attached to his joints. At the door, a far throw away, was the man who’d been dragged out by the three gnome guards. The chair thrower.

The big, stinky man was so drunk he could barely stand. Abdel stared hard at him, and the world around him seemed to slip away into blurred, echoing inconsequence.

Abdel heard only the drunk, who said bluntly, “What.”

The sellsword’s dagger flashed across the room like a sliver from a lightning bolt, and Abdel’s blood rushed through his head at the heavy thunk of the wide silver blade burying itself in the drunk’s chest. The force of it knocked the man over, and though he twitched once, then a second time, he was dead before his head hit the floor.

Luckily, Montaron is there and "discovers" that the drunk was pick-pocketing people (the next chapter reveals he planted the bags), and Khalid says it prevents Abdel from being labeled a murderer. I think even if you didn't know the plot of the Baldur's Gate game, you'd pick up pretty fast that the protagonist is a child of Bhaal, because a running trend is how often you read some iteration of the phrase, 'Abdel had the burning desire to kill <insert name here>'. With that issue settled, the five of them set off for Nashkel.

That leads into Chapter 5, but I'll save that for another post (assuming anyone wants to read more of this).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 23, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:allears:

Poor Xzar, though.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

"noun-noun" used as an adjective is lazy writing that you see MUD players use a lot, normally because they're constrained on text limits and language in item description. Maiden-thigh in this case means the circumference of a maidens thigh, but the heavy lifting is left up to the reader here (again, lazy).

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It’s been many years but I gave up on Durlag’s Tower cause I couldn’t figure out the thing where you open a door and another door closes

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

People give R.A. Salvatore poo poo, and deservedly so, but then you read something like the Baldur's Gate novelization and you realize that he really was one of the better Forgotten Realms writers. So much of it is extremely bad.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Max Wilco posted:

That leads into Chapter 5, but I'll save that for another post (assuming anyone wants to read more of this).

I've read the two books and done my best to erase them from my mind. I'm all in if you want to continue this though, because drat does it go to places :allears:

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I'm excited to see where this goes!

I've read the book several times (self hatred) and know precisely where it goes. Still very excited for thread reactions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Maidens-thigh melon, not to be confused with maiden's thigh-melon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

People give R.A. Salvatore poo poo, and deservedly so, but then you read something like the Baldur's Gate novelization and you realize that he really was one of the better Forgotten Realms writers. So much of it is extremely bad.

The Baldur’s Gate novels are considered to be almost, ALMOST the absolute bottom of the barrel by FR novel fans. (I’d also put the Double Diamond Saga and uh the novel about ripping off Star Wars in the same boat.)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I both read and enjoyed the BG novels when I was ten or however old after BG1 came out. This has been… interesting to reread

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The game doesn't really support chaotic evil but I'm glad the book does

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Arivia posted:

The Baldur’s Gate novels are considered to be almost, ALMOST the absolute bottom of the barrel by FR novel fans. (I’d also put the Double Diamond Saga and uh the novel about ripping off Star Wars in the same boat.)

Try Red Magic by Jean Rabe. Might be the worst novel I've ever read on any subject. It's book #3 in the Harpers series from the 2e days. Meanwhile, book $4 in that series frightened me so much I can't read it again and #5 is a personal favourite, so let's not paint them all with the same brush.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like that the Azure Bonds book explicitly points out how dumb the armor the main character is wearing in the cover is,

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

Arivia posted:

I 'had' (also self-hatred) to read the Moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles, and it's sequel series (Druidhome trilogy) as part of my research when building a Neverwinter Nights persistent world set in the Moonshae Isles. I basically couldn't do it. Read the first 'novel' (Darkwalker on Moonshae), it made my eyes bleed and I came close to madness. It's the earliest Forgotten realms novel, I think. I think it is in some way intended to be an ironic take on the fairytale hero Prince trope, but it's so bad that it fails at that to the extent that it really just reinforces that trope. Every facet of the writing is bad though. In many ways it's like a toddler's writing.
I skimmed the rest, and then found a guy on Candlekeep forums who was a DM and had painstakingly gone through all the terrible novels and made detailed notes on all the info about the Moonshaes setting that he could glean, and put it all in a set of life-saving documents he gave to me. I assume he is some form of benign saviour from a higher plane.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I re-read the first three Salvatore Drizzt anthologies a couple years ago at the gym and thought they held up (I was having trouble following regular novels on the treadmill / elliptical / bike so I mostly stuck to young adult and genre stuff). They aren't high art but I'd put them a little above the Timothy Zahn Star Wars books and a little below the Dan Abnett 40K books as far as licensed fiction goes.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Randallteal posted:

I re-read the first three Salvatore Drizzt anthologies a couple years ago at the gym and thought they held up (I was having trouble following regular novels on the treadmill / elliptical / bike so I mostly stuck to young adult and genre stuff). They aren't high art but I'd put them a little above the Timothy Zahn Star Wars books and a little below the Dan Abnett 40K books as far as licensed fiction goes.

Salvatore knows how to write dynamic characters and fight scenes, which means that even if his prose and descriptions are a bit lacking, you at least have something fun to look forward to.

Abdel in Baldur's Gate is just a complete void of Charisma. The only even remotely interesting character up to this point was Montaron.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

El Grillo posted:

I 'had' (also self-hatred) to read the Moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles, and it's sequel series (Druidhome trilogy) as part of my research when building a Neverwinter Nights persistent world set in the Moonshae Isles. I basically couldn't do it. Read the first 'novel' (Darkwalker on Moonshae), it made my eyes bleed and I came close to madness. It's the earliest Forgotten realms novel, I think. I think it is in some way intended to be an ironic take on the fairytale hero Prince trope, but it's so bad that it fails at that to the extent that it really just reinforces that trope. Every facet of the writing is bad though. In many ways it's like a toddler's writing.
I skimmed the rest, and then found a guy on Candlekeep forums who was a DM and had painstakingly gone through all the terrible novels and made detailed notes on all the info about the Moonshaes setting that he could glean, and put it all in a set of life-saving documents he gave to me. I assume he is some form of benign saviour from a higher plane.

I actually own both Moonshae and Druidhome. I thought that Moonshae was... okay, but Druidhome was awful. I honestly think that it was written by two people who have never met and then received zero editing.

By the way, I wouldn't mind seeing those documents if you have a copy.

sweet geek swag posted:

Salvatore knows how to write dynamic characters and fight scenes, which means that even if his prose and descriptions are a bit lacking, you at least have something fun to look forward to.\

Exactly. He can do action but not drama. He's light entertainment and he's tiresome when he tries to be serious and insightful, like when Drizzt is pontificating. I just picked up the first 30 novels about Drizzt in French, so I'm going to read them all again. I should finish around 2028.

I used to like Elaine Cunningham, but she retired from writing years ago. I really liked the character Danilo and the contrast between him and his sweetheart, Arilyn. It was nice to see genuine wit for once.

Randallteal posted:

I re-read the first three Salvatore Drizzt anthologies a couple years ago at the gym and thought they held up

I agree. My favourite fantasy author is probably Feist, but Salvatore writes enjoyable, action-packed light fiction. My favourite novels of his are the three that centre around Jarlaxle and Artemis when they are still proper evil bastards. He did a very good job of writing suspense, intrigue, betrayal and politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I loved those Artemis and Jarlaxle novels. So good.