Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

spend 125 euros and get a single unusable die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

LordAba posted:

You know those people who say that the Tzeentch Kairos + Screaming Bell trick won't work because of the die? Or that you can't roll 13 on two die by themselves?

Hmmm?

Another pay-2-win release from GW.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

On second look its 150 euros

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A commenter on Bols noticed a thing with the die.

The Tzeentch symbol replaces the 1 side. That means it's opposite the 7 side. 7 is Nurgle's sacred number. Tzeentch opposes Nurgle.

Well played GW. :3:

I wonder how much these will be going for on eBay later...

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Well played GW. :3:
This is how low their bar is set now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So that sure is a thing. Instead of updating the screaming bell rules to "fix" it they do this?

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 5, 2015

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

krushgroove posted:

'follow the Path further and grap this unique Tzeentch patch'? wft?

As a p is really just an upside-down b, it reflects Tzeetch's nature of subtly berverting intentions in bursuit of his own unfathomable goals.

Just as blanned.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

So that sure is a thing. Instead of updating the screaming bell rules to "fix" it they do this?

Hahaha true.

But at least the WAAC AoS players will be like "You can't just say you rolled a seven you have to actually roll it!!" and then whip out his die that has a six replaced by a seven. Oh wait, there are no WAAC AoS players because they forge such an elite narrative. Who is this product for lol

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LordAba posted:

You know those people who say that the Tzeentch Kairos + Screaming Bell trick won't work because of the die? Or that you can't roll 13 on two die by themselves?

Hmmm?

I know I should know the answer to this but do you get all three if you completely fill out the voucher?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Chill la Chill posted:

I know I should know the answer to this but do you get all three if you completely fill out the voucher?

you can choose between the items or a 25€ voucher/gift card per tier. seems a decent offer (who'd ever pick the dice...)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People like dice. Depends on how many you get; probably not enough to be worth 25 pounds though and I'm not sure I would want that many but I bet there will be some takers. If it's just those three then lol.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Goes well with the $50 khorne cups.

Frobbe posted:

you can choose between the items or a 25€ voucher/gift card per tier. seems a decent offer (who'd ever pick the dice...)
Oh. I was so sure you'd have to spend 375 just to get a shirt from the wording and knowing GW.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Someone on a local facebook page said something about how all the AoS hate is from people that have not tried it and yada yada yada fun whatever gentlemen's agreement... Anyway rather than point out what is wrong with the game, I have take to just saying basically: People dislike it because its nothing like Fantasy and why would I play the AoS Skirmish game when I can just play warmachine, which is a way better system...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There's no voucher that's the square where you get the reward - bronze square bronze reward (die) silver square etc

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pash posted:

Someone on a local facebook page said something about how all the AoS hate is from people that have not tried it and yada yada yada fun whatever gentlemen's agreement... Anyway rather than point out what is wrong with the game, I have take to just saying basically: People dislike it because its nothing like Fantasy and why would I play the AoS Skirmish game when I can just play warmachine, which is a way better system...

I almost feel like I should argue with these kinds of people more often because I have played Age of Sigmar not once, not twice, but THREE times. So I can definitively say: it is not a good game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Paolo is basically the TTG Tim Burton. When he has producers and people who can tell him "No don't do that it's loving stupid" we get great things (Batman, Edward Scissor Hands, Tannhauser, Mutant Chronicles) and when he has free range things go to poo poo real fast (Alice in Wonderland, most of DUST).

If you think Burton had more freedom on Alice in Wonderland than, say, Ed Wood, I don't know what.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Phoon posted:

There's no voucher that's the square where you get the reward - bronze square bronze reward (die) silver square etc
And it really does look like you only get one reward.

This is a balancing mechanism to reduce the supply of dice, as true Sigmar fans would pick the pin or shirt instead.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

why would anyone be obliged to want to try a game anyway? isn't it normally the company's job to make people give a poo poo?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

'follow the Path further and grap this unique Tzeentch patch'? wft?

As someone who has proofread a lot of English press releases translated from the original French by French speakers, I can quite confidently say that this is what is happening in that image. The English copy was written in English by French people.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Saint Drogo posted:

why would anyone be obliged to want to try a game anyway? isn't it normally the company's job to make people give a poo poo?

Well don't you know that this is a situation unique to GW? Every one is just bein' a big ole meanie to poor widdle GW and they should just give them a chance, dammit.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Helen Highwater posted:

As someone who has proofread a lot of English press releases translated from the original French by French speakers, I can quite confidently say that this is what is happening in that image. The English copy was written in English by French people.

I do a lot of that kind of thing for my day job, except in reverse: I write marketing copy that has to be translatable in all the major languages, so I can't use many Americanisms or too much slang...but 'grab' seems like it would be a simple concept...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Saint Drogo posted:

It is! But GW fanboys get very very offended when you posit that games workshop makes terrible products and actively ruins the good things they once did on the reg. They still like the game, so it must be your fault somehow.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I do a lot of that kind of thing for my day job, except in reverse: I write marketing copy that has to be translatable in all the major languages, so I can't use many Americanisms or too much slang...but 'grab' seems like it would be a simple concept...

They are almost certainly writing it on a computer with a French OS and a French language office suite and dictionary. Every single word would be underlined red on the original copy. Agripper is a French word meaning 'to grab' so they probably thought of that and spelt it from memory.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

So GW are launching an entire new product line Next Weekend and nobody knows anything about it apart from a couple of pictures of boxart?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Phrosphor posted:

So GW are launching an entire new product line Next Weekend and nobody knows anything about it apart from a couple of pictures of boxart?

Welcome to GW's 'marketing'. They basically have individuals in the various divisions post things on Facebook and send freebies to trusted people to leak poo poo out. Various podcasts got the AoS box set to boost word of its launch, for example, and I'm sure the leaks of the White Dwarf, plastic sprues and models are just pseudo viral efforts.

Helen Highwater posted:

Agripper is a French word meaning 'to grab'

Ah! So that must be where the 'agrippa' sword fighting style comes from (probably made up but it's mentioned in The Princess Bride).

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Ah! So that must be where the 'agrippa' sword fighting style comes from (probably made up but it's mentioned in The Princess Bride).
Every single piece of fencing technique mentioned in that fight is real AND a good choice in that situation.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Agrippa was also a Greek scientist or something, iirc

Edit: did not know it was a real fencing thing! And in that context yeah I would assume it's agripper

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The line in Princess Bride is a reference to the name of a fencing master, Camillo Agrippa, so it has nothing to do with the meaning of the French agripper.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Pash posted:

This is a really common refrain from people who, themselves, have barely played it.

Both local and online I've played AoS more than probably 99% of people. I've played an average of 1-2 games of AoS a week. I'm constantly running into people, especially locals, who have no problem lecturing me about how the game is fine after I list out the major issues and the workarounds I prefer and then we get to the point where I find out that they've only played 1 or 2 games.

And then it always goes the same way - we play rules as written and try to gentlemen it up, invariably one side has the stronger army and wins a lovely victory that doesn't feel rewarding. 2 games later they're interested in using comps. 2 games later they're not into AoS any more. This happens constantly.

99% of those people waxing philosophical with really pretentious arguments about how gamers need to elevate themselves to grasp what GW is trying to do are people who just sit around painting their jewel like objects and never play the loving game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

fnordcircle posted:

99% of those people waxing philosophical with really pretentious arguments about how gamers need to elevate themselves to grasp what GW is trying to do are people who just sit around painting their jewel like objects and never play the loving game.

It's almost like the same level of navel-gazing about "real roleplaying" while downplaying broken "exponential wizards, linear fighters" imbalances and other 'nardy behavior, hmmm.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Frobbe posted:

There are no vouchers, those spaces are indicating you can trade in the card for a reward at that point. i.e. every 6 stamps is the next 'tier' of reward. That's what it looks like to me anyway. 'Trade in your card' means you hand in the rewards card, that's how the old Skulls promo worked.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Esser-Z posted:

Every single piece of fencing technique mentioned in that fight is real AND a good choice in that situation.

Are you sure? I have studied both real fencing and stage fencing and I don't remember any of that poo poo.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The way its worded implies if you get the shirt you don't get the pin or die

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ignite Memories posted:

Are you sure? I have studied both real fencing and stage fencing and I don't remember any of that poo poo.

I went from foil to saber which I still do occasionally at the uni club and don't remember it either. I looked up agrippa and I guess he was responsible for toning down the common parries to 4? I think 4 is still the common ones but saber cuts it down further to 3, albeit different ones.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's just a bunch of references to actual historical fencers - I have no idea how well whatever they did relates to what is happening in the scene, probably not much because I do not think any historical fencers advocated heavily for throwing your sword in the air or performing backflips. Having said that:

quote:

Inigo Montoya: You are using Bonetti’s Defense against me, ah?
Man in Black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?
Man in Black: Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels out Capa Ferro. Don’t you?
Inigo: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa… which I have.

Rocco Bonetti, Ridolfo Capo Ferro, Gérard Thibault d’Anvers, and Camillo Agrippa were all actual fencing masters being referenced in the exchange. There is a breakdown by some fencing nerd here if you have a boner for skinny metal boners.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I was criminlly misinformed. drat. Sorry guys!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Fencing? loving nerds.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Everyone in fencing is a drat nerd and it's probably up there with golf or bowling with least athletic practitioners, at least in the uni level. Though usually that means a bunch of E-C fencers with maybe a B.

The worst part about everyone being a nerd in the club is that it turns into a social/dating mess with a ton of drama (cuz nobody there can date anyone else) which is most of the reason why I stopped going frequently.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FrostyPox posted:

Agrippa was also a Greek scientist or something, iirc

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, general, architect, and one of the great leaders of Ancient Rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I went from foil to saber which I still do occasionally at the uni club and don't remember it either. I looked up agrippa and I guess he was responsible for toning down the common parries to 4? I think 4 is still the common ones but saber cuts it down further to 3, albeit different ones.

We are enemies now, Epee 4 lyfe :histdowns:

Chill la Chill posted:

The worst part about everyone being a nerd in the club is that it turns into a social/dating mess with a ton of drama (cuz nobody there can date anyone else) which is most of the reason why I stopped going frequently.

Probably for the best, I can't imagine most relationships benefitting from an environment where the two participants are encouraged to jab each other hard enough to leave welts.

• Locked thread