Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of the tips mentions it, but it cannot be overstated how garbage the starting pistol is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The biggest hint that not nearly enough people ever mention is that you have locational damage, too. If someone headshots you, it does exactly the same thing as when you headshot them. So yeah, don't stick your head in places where it doesn't belong.

Not unless you're wearing a really good helmet, anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if it was patched but in SoC there was a bug where enemies have invincible frames during their injured animation so stagger your shots instead of laying on the trigger.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I forget, is Stalker also ones of those games where higher difficulties increase damage/lower health in both directions?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If this table here can be believed, all that higher difficulties do is take away the unfair bonuses you get by default:

I hope this doesn't break tables. It fits fine into my 768i laptop display, anyway.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
I picked up Final Fantasy XII on the Steam sale. I've never played it, in any of its forms, but I know that this one is the International Zodiac Job system version. Anything not on the wiki already that I should know about, with the jobs and such?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It can get kinda complicated depending on how optimized you wanna go. Basically you wanna look around and pick job combos that don't have many of the same licenses on their boards. The problem comes when there's some licenses that in some boards are locked behind stuff that either you can only unlock a limited amount of before the rest of the same type disappear from both that character's boards, or ones that are locked behind a type of licenses that you must choose for only one character in the party to ever have unlocked.

Also some jobs works better with others, for instance a mainly physical melee job can make good use of a second job that can learn Telekinesis, which makes their melee attack ranged.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The old version allowed you to access every skill on every character, this one does not. In exchange, you get two jobs to pick from, each of which will get their own skill grid, basically a sub-section of the larger one. You get only one pick to start with. The other unlocks later. Duplicate abilities between boards only need to be unlocked and paid for once. Each job has more or less good synergies with other jobs, but they're mostly fairly self-explanatory and you should be able to figure that out by yourself.

The clan provisioner will sell you stuff based on how many class quests you have completed. All skills need to be bought separately and unlock based on story progress. The rest is pretty much Final Fantasy standard.

There is also a super loving stupid side quest for the ultimate weapon that requires you to not open certain chests all over the game. They are not marked. If you care at all, use a walkthrough for this quest. Otherwise, tell Square Enix to go blow and just open all the chests anyway, it's not worth the aggravation.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

The old version allowed you to access every skill on every character, this one does not. In exchange, you get two jobs to pick from, each of which will get their own skill grid, basically a sub-section of the larger one. You get only one pick to start with. The other unlocks later.Duplicates between boards only to be unlocked once. Each job has more or less good synergies with other jobs, but they're mostly fairly self-explanatory and you should be able to figure that out by yourself.

The clan provisioner will sell you stuff based on how many class quests you have completed. All skills need to be bought separately and unlock based on story progress. The rest is pretty much Final Fantasy standard.

There is also a super loving stupid side quest for the ultimate weapon that requires you to not open certain chests all over the game. They are not marked. If you care at all, use a walkthrough for this quest. Otherwise, tell Square Enix to go blow and just open all the chests anyway, it's not worth the aggravation.

That quest was removed in ZA.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, ignore that part, then. I only played the International version a relatively short distance in and was going by how it works in the original release there.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Odd posted:

I picked up Final Fantasy XII on the Steam sale. I've never played it, in any of its forms, but I know that this one is the International Zodiac Job system version. Anything not on the wiki already that I should know about, with the jobs and such?

Here are my tips from earlier in the thread:

Mayor McCheese posted:

Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age

General
-L3 brings up a map on your HUD.
-L1 lets you fast forward. You can toggle between 2x and 4x speeds in the options menu.
-You must now pick a job for each character, and later you will have access to a second job.
-Monks & Knights are well rounded; Bushi, Shikari, Forbreaker & Uhlan are melee damage dealers; Archer, Machinist, & Black Mage are range damage dealers; White Mage, Red Mage & Time Mage are support.
-As long as a character is not taking an action or being the target of one, you can hot swap them out in combat.
-Selling loot unlocks items you can purchase under the 'Bazaar' tab. There is an invisible counter that will reset back to 0 once you sell the appropriate amount of items needed to unlock your reward.
-Damage dealt is now uncapped.
-Endgame spells and techniques are no longer purchased but must be found in chests at fixed locations. Many of these chests have a 20%+ spawn rate such as Hastega and Wither.
-Some gates cannot be unlocked until the player completes a side quest such as healing the sick prisoner at Dalmasca Estersands.
-There are 7 Monographs in the game purchased in the bazaar. Monographs allow for rare loot to drop from different enemy types. Examine the hunt board 40 times and talk to these shopkeepers until it unlocks: Weapon, Armor, Magick

Gear
-Guns deal fixed damage and do not scale with stats. This is balanced by damage dealt being unblockable, has a piercing effect, bonus damage from elemental bullets/gear.
-Spears and Poles can hit flying enemies.
-Axes and Hammers have a large damage range.
-Katanas get bonus damage from your magic stat.
-Black Robes deal bonus damage with Dark spells/weapons.
-White Robes deal bonus damage with Holy spells/weapons.
-Burning Bow deals bonus damage with Fire spells/arrows.
-Ribbons have bonus passive Regen & Libra traits.
-The rare hunt club at Phon Coast now offers better rewards including a second Genji Glove.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One heads up, every board has 4 mist charge spaces but only 3 can be bought so on some boards you will have to pick what to give up. Do not block yourself off from buying ninja blades 4 as shikari because you bought the first three mist charges on the board.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyXII/comments/6mm06s/how_about_a_team_composition_megathread/

I used that thread to help me decide what to assign people. Seems to have worked alright so far. The PC version also lets you max out your cash and give you a shitload of whatever it is that unlocks slots on your license boards. I used that because I was mostly interested in the story, and it took literally 30 minutes to unlock everyone's stuff, and that was just with 1 board.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

aegof posted:

Anyone got advice for Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance? Birth By Sleep's command melding was pretty easy to mess up, and I figure DDD's pokemon are gonna be just as bad.

Balloon spells are like the mine abilities from BBS on crack. Use those if you want to easy mode things.
Your not-pokemon are mainly used for earning certain commands and abilities. Unlike BBS, passive abilities aren't tied to melding.

Furthermore, Don't stress too much about the Drop Gauge. You can manually drop from the menu so do that if you don't think you have enough time for what you're up to. Or use a Drop-Me-Not. They're a dime a dozen.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Any suggestions for new Call of Cthulhu game? Got a little ways in, I upgraded my spot hidden skill first cuz that seemed smart but I’m missing all the skill checks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BBQ Dave posted:

Any suggestions for new Call of Cthulhu game? Got a little ways in, I upgraded my spot hidden skill first cuz that seemed smart but I’m missing all the skill checks.
The game is only five hours long or so; if you want to retry with a different skill loadout, it's easy to do so. Investigation and medicine are raised by books and environmental objects, which give you effective CP, not straight levels.

Otherwise, there really isn't a lot to say. This is basically a puzzle/adventure game. You could never put a point into any skill at all and still win, the game isn't really built to have dead ends.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Here are my tips from earlier in the thread:

I've added these to the Final Fantasy XII page under a new section, and added redirect pages for "Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age". Seemed the best way to handle it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
- Turn the mouse sensitivity up to maximum. It's hard to get used to, but you absolutely need the precision.
- Stop playing after a while. Either you tilt, or you get reckless. Either can result in losing everything.
- The Getting Over It mantra: I did it once, I can do it again.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Centipeed posted:

I've added these to the Final Fantasy XII page under a new section, and added redirect pages for "Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age". Seemed the best way to handle it.

Thank you!

edit:

Barudak posted:

One heads up, every board has 4 mist charge spaces but only 3 can be bought so on some boards you will have to pick what to give up. Do not block yourself off from buying ninja blades 4 as shikari because you bought the first three mist charges on the board.

This is also very important. It's super easy to screw up a board early on only to find out later you can't activate nodes. Kind of a dick move.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 3, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BBQ Dave posted:

It seems to me the the Psychology skill gets the most use, and Strength gets the least.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know about Strength, but I think I agree that Psychology probably came up more than any other, with Eloquence in second-ish place.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
Anyone have any tips for Kenshi? Seems pretty complicated.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Anyone have any tips for Kenshi? Seems pretty complicated.
It is. First of all, we have a Kenshi thread which helped me a lot when I started playing the game. Plenty of good advice there, but also too much to really fit in here.

Second, there's a few things that are worth knowing in advance. Don't start as a Skeleton, they're a lot more useful in the late game but hard to maintain early. Bugs are discriminated against in one of the largest human nations, so don't go north if you pick one of those.

Skills and stats go up with usage. Carry something really heavy, like a corpse, everywhere you go and your athletics will go through the roof, which gives you strength out the rear end. Most things will not kill you if they defeat you, except for certain animals - bandits will rob you blind and then run off, guard forces will grab you and put you in a cage until your bounty is paid off. Slavers will enslave you and sell you. Being an escaped slave is illegal in most places and will get you enslaved right back if someone sees you before the status runs out.

When you build a base, you will get attacked. It's kind of independent from what's actually around you. Getting your base conquered doesn't mean its gone - run away and take your base back at a later time. In general, treat getting defeated as a setback, but not a failure condition. You can recover from nearly anything short of death, even losing limbs.

This game is incredibly moddable and there are already a lot of them. If anything bothers you, check if there are mods to fix it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

It is. First of all, we have a Kenshi thread which helped me a lot when I started playing the game. Plenty of good advice there, but also too much to really fit in here.

How is it, btw? I grabbed it in eaaaarly EA years(?) ago, at the time it was super-confusing and caused me to just bounce off it after a few hours.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

How is it, btw? I grabbed it in eaaaarly EA years(?) ago, at the time it was super-confusing and caused me to just bounce off it after a few hours.
It's like Dwarf Fortress, you either really like it or it doesn't work for you at all. It's a very rough game and a lot of common convenience options you'd expect from a modern game are missing, but the sheer amount of stuff you can do is amazing.

Personally? I love it. It's what every other RPG/RTS hybrid ever has tried and failed to be: a completely open world where you can basically do whatever in any place you want. Run a trade output, raid cities to sell the inhabitants as slaves, be a lone cannibal terrorizing the trade routes, explore a foggy hellhole full of zombie bugs, it's all there. It's one of the most amazingly fun games I've ever played.

I can't really promise you that you'd like it more now that it's in 1.0, though, because under the new improvements and systems it's still basically the same game it was three years ago .

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

It's like Dwarf Fortress, you either really like it or it doesn't work for you at all. It's a very rough game and a lot of common convenience options you'd expect from a modern game are missing, but the sheer amount of stuff you can do is amazing.

Personally? I love it. It's what every other RPG/RTS hybrid ever has tried and failed to be: a completely open world where you can basically do whatever in any place you want. Run a trade output, raid cities to sell the inhabitants as slaves, be a lone cannibal terrorizing the trade routes, explore a foggy hellhole full of zombie bugs, it's all there. It's one of the most amazingly fun games I've ever played.

I can't really promise you that you'd like it more now that it's in 1.0, though, because under the new improvements and systems it's still basically the same game it was three years ago .

Hmkay, thanks! I re-downloaded it, and so far it seems janky-yet-awesome; at the very least, it has an exponentially better learning curve than DF! Thank you for the mini-review/summary ^^

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmkay, thanks! I re-downloaded it, and so far it seems janky-yet-awesome; at the very least, it has an exponentially better learning curve than DF! Thank you for the mini-review/summary ^^
My pleasure. I hope that you'll have even just half as much fun with it as I did, because the game can really be a blast once it start clicking for you.

Feel free to chime back in if you have any more specific questions, I've played that game to hell and back.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

My pleasure. I hope that you'll have even just half as much fun with it as I did, because the game can really be a blast once it start clicking for you.

Feel free to chime back in if you have any more specific questions, I've played that game to hell and back.

Hmm, my main question after an hour of puttering around is where I should start? I picked the... Wanderer, I think, naked guy with a bit of money who starts next to a town called the Hub? I noticed your guy gets hungry, so figured my immediate priority should be finding a way to make money and buy food. There didn't seem to be any vendors in the starting place (or at least if they were, alt didn't pop up a specific label), so I left town and ran around. There are rocks with iron/other ores that let me pickaxe them, but since doing that for several (in-game) hours didn't yield any resources I assume it requires equipment/higher labour stats. So I ran around some more, found some dead bodies to loot a machete off of, then ran into a group of bandits and got pummeled.

So is there a more deliberate approach I should be taking? I'm basically just spiraling around the starting town looking for sources of revenue/equipment without much early luck.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

So is there a more deliberate approach I should be taking? I'm basically just spiraling around the starting town looking for sources of revenue/equipment without much early luck.
There are plenty of starts, so I would recommend trying them all out and seeing what fits you best. Starting at the Hub is actually one of the worse, because Hub is a semi-destroyed shithole that doesn't have most of the basic town amenities. Food is generally sold in bars, though, and even Hub has one of those. Small tip in that regard: if you like your character, you can always start over fresh on a new map by picking import from the main menu. It lets you take basically anything and everything along that you want while resetting the rest.

What I personally do is to start off with a basic human and then walk north towards the Holy Nation. You know that green strip with the river, Center North-ish? That's where three or so of the largest Holy Nation towns are positioned. They're easy to get along with so long as you're human, they just demand that you pray with them every so often rather than pay taxes or stuff like that. The town of Bad Teeth is a pretty good place to be early on and there are plenty of good spots for starting your own outpost in the immediate vicinity. Yes, it really is called that. No, I don't know either.

Alternatively, try out one of the backgrounds that place you in the desert region to the north-east. Those are the City States. They're relatively safe and you can be anything you want there, but you'll occasionally get harassed by local nobles and need to grovel a little.

The easiest way to make money in the beginning is to basically spawn camp the gates to the town you've picked for living in and looting the corpses of whatever fool bandits try to attack the place, which happens fairly regularly. The guards are generally tough and can carry their own weight. They also don't care if you steal from people's corpses, so long as those people aren't citizens.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 4, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Dude

I

What

I have never heard of Kenshi and after looking into it I have a genuinely hard time understanding how something like this even exists. From the way you were describing it I was about 95% sure it was an ASCII-based Roguelike and... instead, I am seeing what basically looks like Gothic Online With Building Mechanics Too. I am going to have to calm myself down lest I buy this game instantly and quit my job

Edit: Steam recommends it to me because it is similar to another game I play, Dead Rising. Seems legit

Another edit: ahahahaha I added this to my wishlist in 2013 so really I did not know about it because it was something I looked at while writing my dissertation and thought "this will be great in six monthsfour years when I finish!"

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 4, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

Dude

I

What

I have never heard of Kenshi and after looking into it I have a genuinely hard time understanding how something like this even exists. From the way you were describing it I was about 95% sure it was an ASCII-based Roguelike and... instead, I am seeing what basically looks like Gothic Online With Building Mechanics Too. I am going to have to calm myself down lest I buy this game instantly and quit my job

Yeah, like, I'm trying to keep low-key, and to be fair there's some jank (weird lag spikes when new terrain loads in/out, goofy animations, game crashes every time it quits), but holy cow is this neat so far- I just mined copper all day in the desert, then ran in circles for like 12 hours to make my guy fast, then I got beaten half to death in front of some cops and now I'm a slave blacksmith or something; this game is freaking rad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have also never heard of this game and was intrigued by the description so I looked up some youtube footage and hoo boy is this not the game for me but I am glad things like this exist, on a philosophical level

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Any help on Destiny 2? I am hopping back in for the first time since the base game. I'm slowly working through the first 2 DLCs, but everything but the shooting feels like a different damned game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The sale for Octopath Traveler got me to finally pick it up, anything i really need to know upfront?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have also never heard of this game and was intrigued by the description so I looked up some youtube footage and hoo boy is this not the game for me but I am glad things like this exist, on a philosophical level
Same. I almost wanna buy it, not to play, just to support.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm seeing some major commercial interest in the wiki. Got this email today:

quote:

Hi,

Do you support 336x280 ad unit on beforeiplay ?

Regards,
Soniya hussain
Ad Opt Expert
Skype ID: sales_56398

Don't worry - I'll never sell out. It's not my content, after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Centipeed posted:

I'm seeing some major commercial interest in the wiki. Got this email today:

Don't worry - I'll never sell out. It's not my content, after all.

Tell them you only support ads formatted as absolute units.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BrightWing posted:

The sale for Octopath Traveler got me to finally pick it up, anything i really need to know upfront?

I think its all in the wiki but to reiterate

The character you pick to start the game is locked into your party until you finish their story. Due to his unrepliclatable passive therion is both a solid damage dealer and unique leader for your party. It doesnt matter id you chose someone else, however, as his unique benefit is more to avoid a psychological issue rather than a concrete reward.

If you want to do the final story content, which you absolutely have no reason to do and shouldnt feel bad for skipping, you must have all 8 characters leveled well into the 60s if you know what youre doing or realisitically the 70s or higher to be safe. No story part requires any particular party except that.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Abusing Bewildering Grace is more addictive than sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am going to have to calm myself down lest I buy this game instantly and quit my job
One of us, one of us.