Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

8ender posted:

Fix lovely fasteners with this one weird old Canadian trick
For some reason my #2 Robertson bits always seem to grow legs and disappear. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

nm posted:

VW had a pretty simple system. They ran a wire through the brake pad at like 15% pad life. They sent a small electrical charge through it. When the wire wore through, you'd get a light on the dash.
This also meant you had to buy OEM brake pads or deal with a light, unless you bypassed it with a wire, but then you lost the warning. Cool system when it worked though (VW in a nutshell).

15% is generous, the factory pads on my 2013 GTI wore through the wire at about 50% (extra points, it triggered the warning 36 hours before the car was going back to the dealer for the end of the lease).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Niven posted:

15% is generous, the factory pads on my 2013 GTI wore through the wire at about 50% (extra points, it triggered the warning 36 hours before the car was going back to the dealer for the end of the lease).

The ones on my 2007 GTI lasted nearly 100k miles (though 50% highway) before the light came on. When I took them off, one of the pads disintegrated. So, definitely more than 50% worn.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so it works like everything else on a VW.. varied

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New set of cheating software discovered in VWs.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ng+News+Feed%29

quote:

FRANKFURT -- A U.S. regulator found software in some Audi vehicles that lowered their carbon dioxide emissions if it detected they were being used under test conditions, Bild am Sonntag reported.

The California Air Resources Board discovered the software in an automatic transmission Audi last summer, the German weekly newspaper said, without citing any sources.

CARB had no immediate comment and Audi was not immediately available for comment on Sunday's Bild am Sonntag report.

The paper said the device, which was not the same as the one behind last year's diesel emissions violations at Audi parent Volkswagen, was also used in diesel and gasoline-powered cars in Europe.

VW's admission that it had installed software that deactivated pollution controls on more than 11 million diesel vehicles sold worldwide, triggered the deepest business crisis in the German carmaker's history.

Audi, the main contributor to VW group profit, has also admitted its 3.0- liter V-6 diesel engine was fitted with emissions-control software.

Bild am Sonntag said the software discovered by CARB, which was installed in vehicles with certain automatic transmissions, detected whether a car's steering wheel was turned.

If it was not, indicating laboratory testing conditions, the software turned on a gear-shifting program which produced less carbon dioxide than in normal road driving. If the wheel was turned in any direction by more than 15 degrees, the program was switched off, the paper said.

Audi stopped using the software in May 2016, just before CARB discovered the manipulation in an older model, the paper said, adding that the carmaker had suspended several engineers in connection with the matter.

Bild am Sonntag said a spokesman for Audi had declined to comment, citing ongoing talks with U.S. and California regulators on a proposed fix for cars with 3.0-liter engines.

SO basically it sounds like the transmission loaded a different shift program if it detects no steering angle, like on a test dyno. Not the same thing as the diesel cheat which concerned NOx emissions, this one would just be for fuel economy (i.e. CO2 emissions), it's not clear if it neccesarily violates any laws.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Engineers "it's um designed to be more efficient on highway drives where you don't need the same gearing as city driving.. um.. yeah that's it!!!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's a permanent part of the software and it would behave exactly the same way if driven in the same manner on the road, it's not cheating, it's just optimising to pass the test, and CARB can suck it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raises an interesting question though, how many VW owners are out there right now loving with their tie rods to get 'more power' after reading about this?

I would :rice:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I wonder: Does it disable the CARB mode for the duration of the drive once the steering wheel is turned more than 15 degrees, or does it have different maps for "driving straight presently" and "not driving straight presently"? I got the impression from the article that it was the former. So, in the real world, once you turned your wheel to un-park, the fuel map changes until you shut it off. That's pretty clever :shobon:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I wonder: Does it disable the CARB mode for the duration of the drive once the steering wheel is turned more than 15 degrees, or does it have different maps for "driving straight presently" and "not driving straight presently"? I got the impression from the article that it was the former. So, in the real world, once you turned your wheel to un-park, the fuel map changes until you shut it off. That's pretty clever :shobon:

That'd do it; presumably, the car is set up on the dyno, turned off, optionally let to soak to lab temperature, and then started into the test cycle c.f. the "Test Details" tab on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

No steering input means the program stays active, while one of the first things most people do in real-world driving is crank the wheel to make a turn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are only two ways to produce less carbon dioxide: produce more incomplete combustion products (carbon monoxide or soot), or burn less fuel. The carbon has to go somewhere.

Either results implies in a reduction in real‐world fuel economy.

VW defrauded their customers big‐league.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

BMW does this, but the wire/sensor is a separate $15 part that clips in the middle of the pad. If you're cheap and really, really lucky, you can get the sensor out in one piece and put it into the new pads, assuming it hasn't worn through yet. I've always managed to break it, so I just replace it.

True, but it's only in one pad per axle so if you have uneven wear it's useless.

I've thought a lot about just shorting the circuit at the junction box and be done with it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

There are only two ways to produce less carbon dioxide: produce more incomplete combustion products (carbon monoxide or soot), or burn less fuel. The carbon has to go somewhere.

Either results in a reduction in fuel economy.

VW defrauded their customers big‐league.

Does not compute.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bolind posted:

True, but it's only in one pad per axle so if you have uneven wear it's useless.

I've thought a lot about just shorting the circuit at the junction box and be done with it.

The suggestion on E90post was to ziptie an intact sensor up and out of the way. :D

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sidewalk gum posted:

Does not compute.

You know what I meant.

If they produce more carbon dioxide on the road than in the EPA test cycle, they must be burning more fuel.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

The suggestion on E90post was to ziptie an intact sensor up and out of the way. :D

I'm so gonna do that when it's time for brakes next.

If I don't borrow my brothers 30.06 and drag the loving thing out behind the barn first, that is.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

You know what I meant.

If they produce more carbon dioxide on the road than in the EPA test cycle, they must be burning more fuel.

The problem is that they did it by fiddling the tests.

The correct method is by bribing politicians so that the test standards are unreasonably generous, or create exemptions for your particular vehicle type.

The end result is the same amount of pollution, but one method means that the politicians personally benefit and so is the 'correct' method.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Subaru club member had a bit of control arm rot. This is the model that was recalled twice.

We love salt on our roads, why do you ask?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Uthor posted:

The ones on my 2007 GTI lasted nearly 100k miles (though 50% highway) before the light came on. When I took them off, one of the pads disintegrated. So, definitely more than 50% worn.

This was at 33,000 km, 1/3 highway and little aggressive driving.

That car also went through two calipers, two rotors, a wheel bearing, a strut and an hvac blower in four years.

Why no, I didn't buy out the lease. Why?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've had my AC go out twice (once under warranty, once recently and me not fixing it), had the intake flap motor replaced (later reimbursed under a recall), and the MAF sensor wiring had like three breaks in it (I think mice or squirrels got to it cause I found corn kernels under the hood). Otherwise, perfectly fine! Other than all the recent electrical gremlins I'm pretending aren't there, of course.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
A friends FRS with forced induction. The FB post said 19 lbs of boost.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fire ejection system

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Ive always heard good things about high compression motors with fairly high boost.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just stretching out some head bolts. No big deal.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Ive always heard good things about high compression motors with fairly high boost.

You just need to run them with low octane fuel because octane = energy, and too much energy is where you get in trouble.

start the clock

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
19 pounds? I guess he wanted a new motor ASAP because that's just stupid.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Lightbulb Out posted:

Did 14 work on it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Rx7-Elford-Turbo-mk1-1983-restoration-project-spares-or-repair-/272447991263

That's, uh, in need of a little work.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

The engine sitting in the drivers seat :laffo:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The car version of "walk it off bro"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ0pEYaUeTA&hd=1

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

This race is totally reusable right

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

This race is totally reusable right

perfectly usable for throwing at co workers. OR for coating with alot of grease and sticking it in odd places. I take it this is from your sweet lowered dakota? That thing is cool. And true to that gen dakota it is gonna eat wheel bearings if you dont tighten them correctly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

clam ache posted:

perfectly usable for throwing at co workers. OR for coating with alot of grease and sticking it in odd places. I take it this is from your sweet lowered dakota? That thing is cool. And true to that gen dakota it is gonna eat wheel bearings if you dont tighten them correctly.

Yeah, this race was the only one that was stuck in the rotor. The outer came out with finger pressure.

The sad/scary part is a shop did these bearings. The cage for the inner bearings looked like wire zip ties.

Oh well, bearings are swapped in and I'll try to install them Wednesday. Duty tomorrow otherwise it'd be tomorrow.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Horrible mechanical design failure

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

Literally everything is wrong

http://schneidersarto.com/wrench-aesthetics/

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 16, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This poo poo frustrates me because I don't claim to be a creative person but I do think I have a certain eye for aesthetics and if I did carry the view that the wider population is completely stupid I think I could come up with garbage like those wrenches.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
If they were box instead of open, I would carry that 10X around in my wallet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So now you don't have to finish a job with just bloody knuckles, you can get sore edges in your palms.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

xzzy posted:

you can get sore edges in your palms.

Sorta like using a Craftsman ratchet.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I want to fill that guy's rear end in a top hat with his lovely wrenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Horrible mechanical design failure

Ultra-minimal

Ultra-useless

Literally everything is wrong

http://schneidersarto.com/wrench-aesthetics/

The only aesthetics for a tool is how well it does the job it's designed to do. Tools that aren't designed to be used aren't tools.