Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm loving this whole Metal Gear Survive thing.
On paper it's technically everything gamers love to spend money on. Zombie Survival Crafting Co-Op RPG thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It just makes me sad because the actual gameplay in MGSV was great and it felt like co-op could've easily been in that, so game-wise I'm sure it might actually be fun, but boy do Konami not deserve money for being a bunch of shitters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Testekill posted:

Capcom & Konami are both super bad at their jobs and seem to make decisions out of spite.

Yardbomb posted:

Sega is really crap, really often as well.

Japanese devs in general have really just been continuously dropping the ball since the PS2 era ended.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On the other hand they seem to have finally figured out that Steam exists and it's full of people that would gladly pay money for ports of good games like Vanquish or Okami.

Also does "in general" in this case mean "only including all of the trash fire companies that have always been burning and specifically ignoring all of the good poo poo coming out of Japan because I'm Guy Mann and all I do is make ridiculous generalizations"?

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Oct 2, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

On the other hand they seem to have finally figured out that Steam exists and it's full of people that would gladly pay money for ports of good games like Vanquish or Okami.

They're getting there, but all the big players pretty much require having their arm twisted to keep trying even a little. Not even just to get their games on PC either, see how Gio Corsi had to get after Sega to make more of the Yakuza games finally be localized, he all but had to say "If you don't do it, Sony Third Party Production is going to."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

John Murdoch posted:

Also does "in general" in this case mean "only including all of the trash fire companies that have always been burning and specifically ignoring all of the good poo poo coming out of Japan because I'm Guy Mann and all I do is make ridiculous generalizations"?

I think he might mean publishers. Capcom & Konami are dumpster fires and SEGA seem to get off on shooting themselves in the foot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

He's obviously not referring to every Japanese developer ever, you reactionary idiot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

Wasn't RE7 actually good though?

But it suffers from the same problem of not being resident evil. If you're going to make a game and call it "resident evil seven" people are kind of going to expect a resident evil game. It's not a bad game on its own, but it kind of just sheds everything people expect in a resident evil title.

It seems to stem from this absolute bizarre phobia Capcom has of risking a new IP, but also their desperate desire to start a new IP. So instead they keep trying to relaunch their old poo poo with a completely new story and style and just hope everyone who bought it previously buys it anyway.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Until Dawn I cannot keep any of these loving people alive

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE7 is fine*. But like others have said, it lost why people were playing Resident Evil games and with them went about 4 million copies sold off the bat. Further, from financials its looking like the game doesnt have anywhere near the legs of RE5 and RE6 where the HD remasters that just came out shifted a million or so more copies each. How the "complete" version of RE7 coming out sells I think will be the real test for that franchise.

*I personally find the gameplay tedious and didnt bother to finish it, but I can recognize it does the things fan of that genre want and it does it not too shabbily. At the start anyway, it goes to hell for them by the end.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
RE7 has the same problem MGS3 did, the previous game sucked so no one wanted to buy the new one. I have not seen anyone praise RE6, ever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While thats was the narrative, after selling a million+ copies with a 30 dollars new price tag this long after release the game is now behind only RE5 in franchise sales and likely revenue as well.

RE6 has some of the best 3rd person shooter controls in the genre. Those great controls are just saddled with extremely bad all of the following: level design, game structure, pacing, weapon selection, inventory, boss design, character progression, story, and ui.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

But it suffers from the same problem of not being resident evil. If you're going to make a game and call it "resident evil seven" people are kind of going to expect a resident evil game. It's not a bad game on its own, but it kind of just sheds everything people expect in a resident evil title.

What on earth are you on about. RE7 is the closest to the classical RE formula the franchise has been since the first three.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

What on earth are you on about. RE7 is the closest to the classical RE formula the franchise has been since the first three.

That's what gets me too, the only real difference is first-person view, otherwise it feels like a return to spooky atmosphere, being somewhat limited on ammo and all that.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Resident Evil 6 managed to get boring even with the co-op mode. I mean all games are just better when you're playing with a friend, drinking beers and making fun of the RE storyline. But not RE6, that game's just a fun drain. It's long too, so if you wanna complete it you're gonna watch things explode endlessly for what feels like decades.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

That's what gets me too, the only real difference is first-person view, otherwise it feels like a return to spooky atmosphere, being somewhat limited on ammo and all that.

Mm. It struck me when I realised I was standing still to aim, spinning literally everything I picked up to discover secrets, and kept fleeing back to the safe rooms whenever something jumped out at me. Hell, later difficulties even had the ink ribbons. :haw:

It's amazing the franchise has gone in such a circle that the originals are no longer considered to be actual Resident Evil titles.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

oldpainless posted:

In Until Dawn I cannot keep any of these loving people alive

Well, there's a FEW unintuitive ways that people can get killed (Matt and Josh spring to mind) most of them are pretty easy to figure out how to save. For example, you really shouldn't go wandering off by yourself and open a mysterious trapdoor when you know there's loving monsters trying to eat you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Who is ready for ANOTHER Dragon's Dogma port, this time for current gen consoles :iamafag:
Me, I am.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tardcore posted:

RE7 has the same problem MGS3 did, the previous game sucked so no one wanted to buy the new one. I have not seen anyone praise RE6, ever.
Except that MGS2 was brilliant.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also im pretty sure mgs3 did well? It didnt set the world on fire in pre release hype certainly but the transition from ps1 to ps2 was insane, and 2 was at the forefront of "games look like movies now whoa!" where 3 came relatively late in the console life.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

RE7 isn't Resident Evil right up until you actually go into the Baker House. Once you start solving puzzles through VHS tapes and manipulating a wooden sculpture so that it casts the shadow of an eagle on a painting in order to open up a secret passageway you really can't deny that it's RE as gently caress.

I mean really all the core values that I associate with RE are present in 7:

• weird puzzles
  • ammo and item scarcity
  • spooky atmosphere
  • a plot that begins as somewhat grounded supernatural horror and then spirals into insanity
  • Umbrella Corp

Only thing missing is zombies honestly. RE7 suffers from a lack of cohesion in the second half when the plot gets crazy, and it needed more enemy variety, but the bosses were interesting and I thought it was pretty kickass.

Glukeose has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Oct 2, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

Sega is really crap, really often as well.

RE7 was great but it was different therefore bad to a bunch of idiots, also weirdly often I saw people go "IS JUST RIPPIN OFF OUTLAST" because it was first-person and in a spooky setting?

There was a large group of people who were convined the game was just going to be Outlast because the original demo didn't have combat. Nevermind the fact that Capcom said in interviews "it will have combat" it was just going to be a lovely Outlast/Amnesia clone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Glukeose posted:

RE7 isn't Resident Evil right up until you actually go into the Baker House. Once you start solving puzzles through VHS tapes and manipulating a wooden sculpture so that it casts the shadow of an eagle on a painting in order to open up a secret passageway you really can't deny that it's RE as gently caress.

Yeah but the perspectives different.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also at heart the game is goofy as gently caress

EDIT: And that's what Resident Evil games are like, all of them, even 4, 5, and 6

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: And that's what Resident Evil games are like, all of them, even 4, 5, and 6

Watching molded crawl around with one leg is charming.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I don't know why you say "even", 4 is probably the goofiest one of all even if you only look at the section where you flee from a giant clockwork model of the midget castellan that's been taunting you for the last few hours.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I don't know why you say "even", 4 is probably the goofiest one of all even if you only look at the section where you flee from a giant clockwork model of the midget castellan that's been taunting you for the last few hours.

Yeah, 4 is the one that looked at past games, went alright, and set a new bar for goofiness and charm

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

To be fair i feel like it really lets the goofiness seep in. The intro is some drat good horror and aside from a more refined control scheme, still pretty unnerving. Then around the castle it builds up and goes insane.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
RE4 is one of the best games ever and it hits the exact perfect level of goofiness. It just nails the tone because no one took the RE games seriously and they knew it. It rules.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
RE7 is nemesis in a mansion, except nemesis is a really funny/horrifying southern dad.
I don't think I've ever seen a character make me constantly go from laughing to absolute dread over and over.

Also, yes. Resident Evil 4 is the best. I remember being so dumb struck by the statue chase the first time, that I failed the qte because I didn't know what was going on anymore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I didn't pay attention much attention to RE7 beyond the initial trailers (which didn't feature any combat), so imagine the look on my face when I saw this video a week ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTZLygUUzc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I didn't pay attention much attention to RE7 beyond the initial trailers (which didn't feature any combat), so imagine the look on my face when I saw this video a week ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTZLygUUzc

That looks pretty fun. And it's good to see they're giving Rock Puncher's muscles the respect they deserve.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yooooo what, Chris has a straight up parry in that video.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Yooooo what, Chris has a straight up parry in that video.

It's about time he got a new ability. He's been doing this for almost two decades at the least.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fil5000 posted:

Well, there's a FEW unintuitive ways that people can get killed (Matt and Josh spring to mind) most of them are pretty easy to figure out how to save. For example, you really shouldn't go wandering off by yourself and open a mysterious trapdoor when you know there's loving monsters trying to eat you.

Look man I hear what you're saying but I am definitely hearing my friend down there so I am going to let her out so that I can *gets torn in half*

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Look man I hear what you're saying but I am definitely hearing my friend down there so I am going to let her out so that I can *gets torn in half*

See, I did this one, and I laughed my balls off at how dumb I'd been.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
You're right hand comes off?
I should give re4 another replay, what a perfect game

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You even read something which tells you they hunt with that method. Two minutes beforehand. :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

You even read something which tells you they hunt with that method. Two minutes beforehand. :v:

Yep, I had no one to blame but myself. I realised as it was happening that I'd managed to roleplay the character as the perfect slasher film fodder and that had I been watching this as a film I would have been yelling at them for being an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tardcore posted:

RE6 No Mercy Mercenaries co-op is legitimately some of the most fun I've ever had with a videogame

The campaigns are trash but Mercenaries is so unbelievably good